PDA

View Full Version : Weakness?

THE_HOOTER
02-26-2002, 01:25 PM
We all know that our lineup day in and day out can compete with ANY lineup in baseball-if Thomas produces, which he will.

My question is:

What concerns you guys more: starters or bullpen?

Buehrle and Foulke anchor both but the supporting cast is clowdy.

I believe/hope Ritchie delivers 200 innings cause we'll need it. If Garland pitches well, we have three formidable starters for any big series.

Glover, Parque, Barcelo, Wright and Ginter all can battle it out for remaining positions.

I think Wright has the most potential.

With the amount of arms we have my concern is with quality starting pitching. :gulp:

RichH55
02-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
We all know that our lineup day in and day out can compete with ANY lineup in baseball-if Thomas produces, which he will.

My question is:

What concerns you guys more: starters or bullpen?

Buehrle and Foulke anchor both but the supporting cast is clowdy.

I believe/hope Ritchie delivers 200 innings cause we'll need it. If Garland pitches well, we have three formidable starters for any big series.

Glover, Parque, Barcelo, Wright and Ginter all can battle it out for remaining positions.

I think Wright has the most potential.

With the amount of arms we have my concern is with quality starting pitching. :gulp:

The starting Rotation scares me more than Relief....Foulke is a guy you don't have to worry about and finding middle relief(especially when you can use it to break in a young kid) isnt as tough as finding viable starting pitchers....plus we seem to have a knack for relievers and we get some guys back and get some guys hungry.....Losing Lowe might hurt the flexibility we have out of the pen but with the roughly 800 potential 5th starters we have we should be fine....If Glover doesnt get that 5th spot he plugs many a hole in the Bullpen...but going into the year with Ritchie as the #2 guy isn't exactly blowing my skirt up over here

RichH55
02-26-2002, 01:40 PM
I also think that if given the chance Ginter will put up solid numbers out of the pen\

THE_HOOTER
02-26-2002, 01:47 PM
With Rowand on the bench, I still feel we are better off dealing him or CLee for a middle level starter like Ritchie. We can throw in a prospect as long as the starter is under 32.

Any names come to mind?

cheeses_h_rice
02-26-2002, 01:48 PM
To be honest, I'm concerned about all our pitching.

Here are the guys I think will produce fairly well this year no matter what:

-Buehrle
-Foulke

Here are the guys I think will have at least decent years:

-Garland
-Glover
-Ritchie

Here are the guys I think could have either awful or great years:

-Barcelo
-Wunsch
-Parque
-Howry
-Osuna
-Ginter
-Wright

There are just a lot of question marks...guys coming back from injuries especially. We either sink or swim with these guys, and I honestly don't know which way they'll go.

voodoochile
02-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Our starting rotation has the most question marks, IMO...

Buehrle has only done it for one year.

Ritchie is making a league change.

Parque is coming off of injury and is really not much more than a low-4 or high-5 pitcher so far

The rest is totally unproven.

I think Garland and Wright could both have monster years and the SI article has me thinking good things about Rauch. But still - one more Ritchie type acquisition and the Sox could be pennant bound. Of course it is probably better to wait until July to try and make that trade - let's see how the kids work out first. Who knows - we might really have the Braves rotation from 1990 already on the team - well I can hope can't I?

RichH55
02-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
With Rowand on the bench, I still feel we are better off dealing him or CLee for a middle level starter like Ritchie. We can throw in a prospect as long as the starter is under 32.

Any names come to mind?

C Lee is at the bottom of his value right now, so dealing him with Rowand unproven and Lofton still a ?(though I liked the signing).....I think hitting C Lee in the 7 hole is going to net some impressive numbers, especially with a guy like Valentin in front of him.......C Lee might wind up being traded, but now is not the time to do it and we should hope for more that a middle level starter, especially if we have to add to get him to be under 32....If we wanted another starter we could have gone after Schmidt or made a run at Sele

RichH55
02-26-2002, 01:58 PM
C Lee will be a guy who we have to watch his numbers to see who the real C Lee is going to be....Same with Darren Erstad..and to a lesser extent: Paul Konerko

cheeses_h_rice
02-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Who knows - we might really have the Braves rotation from 1990 already on the team - well I can hope can't I?

Where's that black & white rock tag when you really need it? ...*****!

Just joshin'...

voodoochile
02-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Where's that black & white rock tag when you really need it? ...*****!

Just joshin'...

(Sniff)... (Snort)...(sniff)... I have no idea what you are talking about... (snort)

bjmarte
02-26-2002, 02:40 PM
I am much more concerned with the starting pitching. If we had another strong arm in the top half of the starting rotation might really put us over the top. And depending on how we got 'em or who we traded it would help out the bullpen too since someone would get bumped down. I would love to see one more move for pitching but I am not holding my breath. I am not all that dissapointed as is.

guillen4life13
02-26-2002, 05:12 PM
the whole pitching staff is a ?, and that's why we aren't world series caliber yet.

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I also think that if given the chance Ginter will put up solid numbers out of the pen\

I don't. I really don't think Ginter has the potential that others have on the team or on the farm. Ginter might be in Montreal or Tampa in 2 years. That's what I think of him.

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 06:32 PM
Kock me for it if you want guys, but I'll bet the 2 surprise pitchers are going to be Garland and Glover. If Ritchie and Mark can do what they are expected, we won't have to worry about the rotation. These are all still "IF's". Ritchie was pretty good with a team that lost 100 games. He'll be fine here. I believe Mark can repeat what he did and like I said, look out for Glover and Garland. The only spot I'm not sure of is the #5 . I like Wright and I think he'll get the job, but I hope he can handle it well in his second year.

foulkesfan11
02-26-2002, 10:23 PM
I think Glover will win a spot! He's awesome!

bc2k
02-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Maybe I am falling for what I have been spoon fed by the media, but I believe Ritchie will reap the benefits pitching for a 950+ run team. I hope Buehrle will continue to get better (if thats possible) and have at least a 15 win season. I feel confident of Garland and comfortable will Glover in the rotation. Parque scares me, I would rather see the Sox get Tapani out of retirement to allow Parque to take the sean lowe spot of 2001. Tapani's record wasn't great, but he is solid. Tapani gives quality starts and had something like 8 or 9 straight wins right out of the gate of 2001.

The bullpen has too many post-surgery pitchers for me to feel confident in them. And as long as Howry is still on the staff, the bullpen is the weakest part of the team.

Daver
02-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Maybe I am falling for what I have been spoon fed by the media, but I believe Ritchie will reap the benefits pitching for a 950+ run team. I hope Buehrle will continue to get better (if thats possible) and have at least a 15 win season. I feel confident of Garland and comfortable will Glover in the rotation. Parque scares me, I would rather see the Sox get Tapani out of retirement to allow Parque to take the sean lowe spot of 2001. Tapani's record wasn't great, but he is solid. Tapani gives quality starts and had something like 8 or 9 straight wins right out of the gate of 2001.

The bullpen has too many post-surgery pitchers for me to feel confident in them. And as long as Howry is still on the staff, the bullpen is the weakest part of the team.

Would you feel better about the rotation if Eric Gagne was added to it?

bc2k
02-26-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by daver

Since I have never seen him play, no. But since Howry would go to the Dodgers for Gagne, I know the bullpen would be stronger...

RichH55
02-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

Especially if Royce went out to the West to help get him here:)

RichH55
02-27-2002, 01:37 PM
I think counting on Parque for this year might cause more trouble than its worth

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think counting on Parque for this year might cause more trouble than its worth

Come on rich! Where 's that sig? That cracks me up!

RichH55
02-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Come on rich! Where 's that sig? That cracks me up!

This One? :pee :hitless

RichH55
02-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Or which one are you talking about?