PDA

View Full Version : Problem in Minny?

MarySwiss
09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I was driving home from lunch and listening to Rome. As usual, I didn't catch the whole thing, but he was saying something about the team maybe not being too nuts about Silva taking himself out of the game yesterday. Rome says he's done it a couple of times before. I can't find any other details, but if you read the pitching coach's comments in yesterday's ESPN game recap, he didn't sound like a happy camper.

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I was driving home from lunch and listening to Rome. As usual, I didn't catch the whole thing, but he was saying something about the team maybe not being too nuts about Silva taking himself out of the game yesterday. Rome says he's done it a couple of times before. I can't find any other details, but if you read the pitching coach's comments in yesterday's ESPN game recap, he didn't sound like a happy camper.He was probably so unaccustomed to not getting whacked around he became disoriented.

bluestar
09-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I was driving home from lunch and listening to Rome. As usual, I didn't catch the whole thing, but he was saying something about the team maybe not being too nuts about Silva taking himself out of the game yesterday. Rome says he's done it a couple of times before. I can't find any other details, but if you read the pitching coach's comments in yesterday's ESPN game recap, he didn't sound like a happy camper.

On the one hand, the Twins have Radke who is willing to go out there when his arm is barely hanging on to his shoulder (or so it seems), and then they have Silva, who removes himself from the game because he has a tummy ache. Talk about extremes!

You know that kind of stuff (with Silva) isn't going to go over well in Minny. I don't remember who the player was, but there was someone last year or earlier this year they were upset with because he kept insisting he was too hurt to play. The media reported that the management was upset with the player because he wouldn't just "suck it up" and play anyway. Maybe caulfield or someone can remember who this was.

MeteorsSox4367
09-07-2006, 05:18 PM
IIRC, Baseball Tonight said something that Silva was pitching well yesterday against Tampa, but took himself out with an upset stomach in the sixth or seventh. Neshek came in and gave up a bomb to Norton that turned the game around and helped the D-Rays win.

Twins Win
09-07-2006, 05:18 PM
On the one hand, the Twins have Radke who is willing to go out there when his arm is barely hanging on to his shoulder (or so it seems), and then they have Silva, who removes himself from the game because he has a tummy ache. Talk about extremes!

You know that kind of stuff (with Silva) isn't going to go over well in Minny. I don't remember who the player was, but there was someone last year or earlier this year they were upset with because he kept insisting he was too hurt to play. The media reported that the management was upset with the player because he wouldn't just "suck it up" and play anyway. Maybe caulfield or someone can remember who this was.

I don't remember for sure but it might have been Kubel. He's had knee pain in his good knee but tests have showed nothing. He's hardly played the last 6 weeks.

ma-gaga
09-07-2006, 05:35 PM
You know that kind of stuff (with Silva) isn't going to go over well in Minny. I don't remember who the player was, but there was someone last year or earlier this year they were upset with because he kept insisting he was too hurt to play. The media reported that the management was upset with the player because he wouldn't just "suck it up" and play anyway.

Well the 'rube chat' is blowing up with dark clouds, and sky is falling **** analysis about Silva being a *****, how Neshak can't handle the pressure, and the Twins 'inability to hold a lead'. Gawd, I hate the Twins Message boards. It's devoid of any real intelligent thought. Just bull**** AM sports radio analysis and trash talk.

But yeah, Twins management likes guys to 'suck it up'. Last year Morneau fought injuries all year long, and management took veiled shots at him. Mauer got hacked when his knee hurt. Kubel's been a little immune, because his injury was SO devastating, that I think they are happy that they've gotten some limited production from him.

So, the scenario is: Radke is pitching with a shredded arm. Hunter has a broken foot. Castillo has a bad hip. Santana's got a blister... And Silva takes off because he's about to puke or crap his pants. The question is, is that acceptable?

bluestar
09-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Well the 'rube chat' is blowing up with dark clouds, and sky is falling **** analysis about Silva being a *****, how Neshak can't handle the pressure, and the Twins 'inability to hold a lead'. Gawd, I hate the Twins Message boards. It's devoid of any real intelligent thought. Just bull**** AM sports radio analysis and trash talk.

But yeah, Twins management likes guys to 'suck it up'. Last year Morneau fought injuries all year long, and management took veiled shots at him. Mauer got hacked when his knee hurt. Kubel's been a little immune, because his injury was SO devastating, that I think they are happy that they've gotten some limited production from him.

So, the scenario is: Radke is pitching with a shredded arm. Hunter has a broken foot. Castillo has a bad hip. Santana's got a blister... And Silva takes off because he's about to puke or crap his pants. The question is, is that acceptable?

Yeah, I think it was Morneau last year that I was thinking of.

Flight #24
09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Silva takes off because he's about to puke or crap his pants. The question is, is that acceptable?

Depends: if the former, nope. The latter......well, probably OK to head on out. This goes triple if yo're in the NL and might have to run the bases & slide.:tongue:

By the bye, wasn't Morneau the guy who supposedly got into it in the clubhouse with Hunter last year? Nice guy that Justin, makes friends everywhere......

hawkjt
09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
In the game article in the Minny Tribune the twins coaches did not mince words. Gardy said he was shocked when silva approached him. Rick Andersen-pitching coach- said this time of year everyone is hurting -implying that silva is a gutless coward for asking out. He had only faced 18 thru six innings.

Silva said he had to throw up the whole game but it reached dire point by the seventh and he said he threw up in the locker room after he was removed.

The reporter opined that silva will be gone after this season and documented about 4 other instances when silvas toughness was in question.

JB98
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
In the game article in the Minny Tribune the twins coaches did not mince words. Gardy said he was shocked when silva approached him. Rick Andersen-pitching coach- said this time of year everyone is hurting -implying that silva is a gutless coward for asking out. He had only faced 18 thru six innings.

Silva said he had to throw up the whole game but it reached dire point by the seventh and he said he threw up in the locker room after he was removed.

The reporter opined that silva will be gone after this season and documented about 4 other instances when silvas toughness was in question.

If he was sick, the Twins should be happy the guy gave them six shutout innings.

FedEx227
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
If he was sick, the Twins should be happy the guy gave them six shutout innings.

But I think the argument here is in the middle of a pennant race a tummy ache is hardly a means of taking yourself out of a game.

I'm not opinionated either way because if it was true and he was real sick then he gets a lot of respect not throwing up on the mound and having enough strength to do what he did. However, because its Carlos Silva who has been questioned at times people give this a bit of a question. If it was Johan Santana that had done it in the 6th inning, there would be no argument, everyone would know for sure that something was wrong and he just couldn't go anymore.

The Immigrant
09-07-2006, 06:55 PM
This is ridiculous. Minnesota supposedly has the best bullpen in baseball. Santana gave them 8 innings the night before, so pretty much everyone in that bullpen was available last night. The only reason this became an issue is because Pat Neshek and Roids Rincon **** the bed, and for Gardenhire and others to bitch about it after the fact only furthers Minnesota's whiny reputation.

At least they didn't blame it on A.J.