PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Overdoes near Wrigley

PatK
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-060907overdose,1,2405617.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Can't wait for the Tribune to say it's a Sox fan.

Gammons Peter
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Tribune staff report
Published September 7, 2006, 10:55 AM CDT

The body of a man who apparently died of a drug overdose was found this morning in a portable toilet near Wrigley Field, police said.

The 53-year-old man was holding a syringe and had a belt wrapped around his arm when a passerby discovered him shortly before 5:30 a.m., said Police Officer Laura Kubiak.

The portable toilet was located in the 1000 block of West Waveland Avenue, across the street from the left field wall of the ballpark and near a fire station.

The case is being treated as a suspected heroin overdose and a death investigation is under way, Kubiak said.

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmmm....I'm torn, which thread is better? :dunno:

I'll go with this one since it actually spells "overdose" correctly.

cheeses_h_rice
09-07-2006, 12:50 PM
"Overdoes"? Were there too many young deer and one of them died?

:dunno:

CHISOXFAN13
09-07-2006, 12:52 PM

:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

Unregistered
09-07-2006, 12:52 PM

I'll go with this one since it actually spells "overdose" correctly.But they're both stupid and likely have nothing to do with Wrigley Field or the Cubs... so there's that...

voodoochile
09-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Don't want to mess with the overdoe. That's one viscious little deer...

voodoochile
09-07-2006, 12:55 PM
But they're both stupid and likely have nothing to do with Wrigley Field or the Cubs... so there's that...

Trust me, the ONLY reason it is news at WSI at all is because of the location. It's why I moved the properly spelled thread to this forum in the first place.

The merge was a tough decision, but ultimately I went with the earlier thread title - that's my story and I am sticking to it...:tongue:

MrX
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
:woo-woo
RIP

Actually, he probably doesn't use a toilet so it can't be him.

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
[quote=Gammons Peter]Tribune staff report
Published September 7, 2006, 10:55 AM CDT
The portable toilet was located in the 1000 block of West Waveland Avenue, across the street from the left field wall of the ballpark and near a fire station.
quote]

as opposed to the very large sationary toilet owned by the trib...

rgasser43
09-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Tell me it's not Woo-Woo.

Unregistered
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Trust me, the ONLY reason it is news at WSI at all is because of the location. It's why I moved the properly spelled thread to this forum in the first place.

The merge was a tough decision, but ultimately I went with the earlier thread title - that's my story and I am sticking to it...:tongue:I think you did the right thing. If anything, it makes for a more interesting story... :D:

maurice
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Wait, I thought all the drugs in the city were next to the Cell?!? That's what the Trib told us during the 2005 playoffs.

How long before they change the story to omit all the "Wrigley" references?

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
you could probably say that they are all bought near the cel but used near wrigley

maurice
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Hmmm, unlike the Cell/pot story, the Ligue stories, et al., there's no link to this on the "ChicagoSports" or "Cubs" links off the Trib homepage. I wonder why?
:rolleyes:

They'll probably bury it like they did the Dusty / "lynching" story.

PatK
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow, I tapped out to spelling and grammar in the thread title.

Tekijawa
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I heard it was actually a contemporary art display titled: "a critical reflection on the 2006 Cubs".

The belt wrapped around the mans arm signified the injuries to Wood and Prior. The needle sticking out of his arm was supposed to represent the shot in the arm the team needed but never got. The portable toilet was in reference to the bleachers being expanded and the direction the team was headed, and the mans age is Representative of the amount of wins the team will achieve this year. The fact that it was staged outside of the firehouse was supposed to show that the team needed help....

Unregistered
09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
I heard it was actually a contemporary art display titled: "a critical reflection on the 2006 Cubs".

The belt wrapped around the mans arm signified the injuries to Wood and Prior. The needle sticking out of his arm was supposed to represent the shot in the arm the team needed but never got. The portable toilet was in reference to the bleachers being expanded and the direction the team was headed, and the mans age is Representative of the amount of wins the team will achieve this year. The fact that it was staged outside of the firehouse was supposed to show that the team needed help....Good thing that was in teal. :cool:

samram
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Wasn't this what happened on "Monk" a few weeks ago at the San Francisco Band Jam? Except it was a murder set to look like a suicide.

gbergman
09-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Where is Chips? He should be ripping on the spelling of overdose by now.

cws05champ
09-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I think there will be a retraction or correction of the story stating: " The portable toilet was reportedly moved from the South side around 35th Street to Waveland with the man still in toilet by mistake".

TDog
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM

I'll go with this one since it actually spells "overdose" correctly.

Bit Gammons Peter had to correct the spelling of "under way" from the link. "Underway," as one word, is only correct in a limited nautical sense. The copy editors, let alone the reporter, should have known better.

maurice
09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
They took "Wrigley" out of the headline in the published version (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0609080248sep08,1,3765391.story) (replacing it with "ballpark"), but the article is almost the same. As expected, the web editor buried both links. Though it appears on page 3 of the Metro section, it's not on the main page any longer, not on the local news page, not on the sports page, and not on the Cubs page. It's in a sub-sub-directory under local news.

Dan Mega
09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Drug Addict Dies in Portable Toilet Just Miles Away from The Cell
Couch: I told you so.

Viva Medias B's
09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Tell me it's not Woo-Woo.

If it were Woo-Woo, the local media would consider his death bigger than that of Cardinal Bernardin.

SOXPHILE
09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
If it were Woo-Woo, the local media would consider his death bigger than that of Cardinal Bernardin.

You know what ? You're probably right. It would be on the news on all the network news channels, the funeral would be covered ad-nausea um and they would have interviews with people and a retrospective on the guys life. They would lead into the story with lines like "Chicago and the Cubs said goodbye to an old friend today...." and there would be Cub blue bunting all over the place. It may not be the lead story, but it would be like 2nd or third in line, before more important national and world news. I was extremely shocked that the story of the dead drug user in the port-o-potty made it into the Cubune, with references to the fact that it was right outside of Wrigley, right next to the fire station on Waveland.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:20 PM

The death coverage on Cardinal Bernardin was insane (I'm not making light of this great mans passing, rather the over-board COVERAGE). To this day, anytime there is a celebrity death reported on the local news, my wife and I race each to say first "and Cardinal Bernardin, is still dead."

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Ronny Woo-Woo
We barely knew you

You spent your life watching games in baseball hell
If your lucky your soul will return to earth at da Cell