PDA

View Full Version : Tavarez spitter?

Vernam
09-07-2006, 12:47 AM
In last night's broadcast of the last game in Boston, Farmer accused Julian Tavarez of loading up his pitches on Monday. He claimed several White Sox players (unnamed, of course) agreed Tavarez was getting some kind of substance from his head. My reactions are:

1. I like how Ozzie doesn't let the team make excuses like this. If there's anything more embarrassing than getting your ass kicked, it's whining like a baby after getting your ass kicked.

2. On Monday, I did notice something weird on Tavarez's hat. It was yellow -- not white like the resin on Jenks's hat, for example -- and he fidgeted with it in a strange way after he pitched to his last batter.

Did anyone else spot that? Whether or not he was intentionally cheating, it's illegal for pitchers to have any substance on their hands other than resin.

Vernam

soltrain21
09-07-2006, 01:28 AM
He has been caught before I think.

Mercy!
09-07-2006, 01:38 AM
....1. I like how Ozzie doesn't let the team make excuses like this. If there's anything more embarrassing than getting your ass kicked, it's whining like a baby after getting your ass kicked.... How soon we forget Mark Buehrle's remarks about "a certain pitcher" on the northside doctoring the ball (and then his lame attempt to retract his words in front of the cameras later), or about how they must have been stealing his signs via that high-tec light system in Texas. LOL

WhiteSox1983
09-07-2006, 02:00 AM
i hate julian tavarez! isnt that the wankster that cheap shotted some dude (i think joey gathright) in spring training while he was going into homeplate? I cant wait til that guy gets his block knocked off.

Grzegorz
09-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Tavarez beat us plain and simple. No excuses; move on to the next game.

bryPt
09-07-2006, 07:03 AM
That hat was discusting, and that was not rosen. It was yellow. A few RSox pitchers had it. It looked like stickem like the 'ol Raiders used back in the day. It should have been mentioned during the game though, that was Ozzie's fault I guess.

lumpyspun
09-07-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't think Tavarez was doing anything different than these other buster AAA pitchers that have stumped us lately...

ChiSoxRowand
09-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Watch him pitch, he will touch his hat before every pitch (the dirty spot). And he has gotten caught before.

DaleJRFan
09-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Watch him pitch, he will touch his hat before every pitch (the dirty spot). And he has gotten caught before.

Bobby Jenks touches about 14 places on his body before every pitch. Does that mean he cheats??

We lost. Move on.

soltrain21
09-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Bobby Jenks touches about 14 places on his body before every pitch. Does that mean he cheats??

We lost. Move on.

...but he has gotten caught before.

salty99
09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
They should have pointed at out to the umps during the game then, not wait til days later.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
It's called 'gamesmenship' and has been part of the sport almost since the start of it.

It doesn't matter if Tavares was or wasn't, all that matters is that the Sox THINK he is. Gaylord Perry in his biography wrote that at best he'd load up only one or two pitches a game but because of his rep, hitters thought he was loading up every pitch and mentally it screwed them up.

Perry used that 'unknown' to his advantage time and time again.

Lip

CLR01
09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
In last night's broadcast of the last game in Boston, Farmer accused Julian Tavarez of loading up his pitches on Monday. He claimed several White Sox players (unnamed, of course) agreed Tavarez was getting some kind of substance from his head. My reactions are:

1. I like how Ozzie doesn't let the team make excuses like this. If there's anything more embarrassing than getting your ass kicked, it's whining like a baby after getting your ass kicked.

If several players are telling Farmer that Tavarez was cheating they are making excuses.

Jaffar
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
8-24-04
NEW YORK - A sticky substance on his cap has gotten St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Julian Tavarez into a sticky situation with the league office.

Major League Baseball on Tuesday handed Tavarez a 10-day suspension for applying a foreign substance to the ball in a 5-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Friday.

West determined that the reliever was using a foreign substance hidden under the brim and ejected him, ruling that some of the substance was pine tar.

It was the third time this season that an opposing team has asked an umpiring crew to investigate Tavarez's cap. The Philadelphia Phillies had it checked in April and the Atlanta Braves followed suit in May.

soxinem1
09-07-2006, 08:08 PM
It's called 'gamesmenship' and has been part of the sport almost since the start of it.

It doesn't matter if Tavares was or wasn't, all that matters is that the Sox THINK he is. Gaylord Perry in his biography wrote that at best he'd load up only one or two pitches a game but because of his rep, hitters thought he was loading up every pitch and mentally it screwed them up.

Perry used that 'unknown' to his advantage time and time again.

Lip

Excllent point. He also noted in the same book that he might be making it all up and that the reputation of the spitter may be what helped him the most.

I don't believe Perry ever got caught. Tavarez has, so I'd have messed with him every inning and see if they could get him unglued.

Frankfan4life
09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
After today's game, I suggest that Coop find out what that substance is on Tavarez's cap and then demand that every Sox pitcher use it.

Domeshot17
09-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Im with the group that the teams need to stop whining and making excuses. Was Snyder and Wasdin and every other POS pitcher who shut us completely down cheating? Maybe its becase 80% of our lineup goes up with the mentality to hit a home run every at bat instead of hitting the ball solid, resulting in weak choppers they pull instead of hard lined gappers they go with.