PDA

View Full Version : The start of this month

gbergman
09-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Well the first six games of this month started crappy, and we really should be 84-55 and a half game out of first right now going back to the third game of the Tampa Bay series, but all that aside this is starting to seem like april. We started out the same going 1-4 but then won our next game to get to 2-4, right after that followed a huge run and a 21-8 month which would give us another 99-63 year. Hopefully my feeling is right because if there is any truth in this statement that means we are in for a big run through this month and a much happier WSI. Hopefully our bats stay hot like tonight and our starting pitching and relief is dominant like it was tonight.

GO SOX!

batmanZoSo
09-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Well the first six games of this month started crappy, and we really should be 84-55 and a half game out of first right now going back to the third game of the Tampa Bay series, but all that aside this is starting to seem like april. We started out the same going 1-4 but then won our next game to get to 2-4, right after that followed a huge run and a 21-8 month which would give us another 99-63 year. Hopefully my feeling is right because if there is any truth in this statement that means we are in for a big run through this month and a much happier WSI. Hopefully our bats stay hot like tonight and our starting pitching and relief is dominant like it was tonight.

GO SOX!

I'm ready to buy that April comparison.

You gotta be encouraged by the pitching of late. If that stays as is we're in great shape because the lineup's going to score enough to win. Games like the two previous to tonight are an exception.

southside rocks
09-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Seems like Ozzie's meeting, or talk to the team, helped pick them up a bit. I'm happy to see that. I was also very happy to see Thome go 4 for 4 last night, since I think he is going to be key in this stretch run; and I was happy to see Iguchi steal a base -- more running will be a good thing. And delighted to see MVP JD whack #40.

If they can just keep going out and having fun, in spite of the minor injuries, in spite of the asinine media, then they will have a great 3+ weeks and make the post-season with ease.

Of course, Ozzie should still be fired because the Sox are not 100 - 39 at this point in the season, which they would be if Ozzie would take managerial advice from internet bulletin boards.

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2006, 11:44 AM
It's all about the pitching. Sox starters have turned in three nice starts in a row, but it's going to take a lot more than three. Much has been made of the big hitters in the middle of the lineup and the resulting abandonment of small ball, but I'd say the pitching has as much or more to do with it. When you have confidence your pitchers are going to keep you in the game, you can play for one or two runs, but when you're behind 7-1, small ball goes out the window. That's the situation they've been in most of the season. If the pitching stabilizes, that will take a lot of pressure off the hitters and I think you'll see them relax a lot more.

This team needs to go on a run and you can't do that unless you get consistent starting pitching.

bluestar
09-07-2006, 12:44 PM
It's all about the pitching. Sox starters have turned in three nice starts in a row, but it's going to take a lot more than three. Much has been made of the big hitters in the middle of the lineup and the resulting abandonment of small ball, but I'd say the pitching has as much or more to do with it. When you have confidence your pitchers are going to keep you in the game, you can play for one or two runs, but when you're behind 7-1, small ball goes out the window. That's the situation they've been in most of the season. If the pitching stabilizes, that will take a lot of pressure off the hitters and I think you'll see them relax a lot more.

This team needs to go on a run and you can't do that unless you get consistent starting pitching.

These comments are right on the money, in my opinion. It still all goes back to the pitching. When our pitchers are performing up to their capabilities, it takes a lot of pressure off the hitters. If we start getting consistent quality starts from the starting rotation, everything else will fall into place.

Ziggy S
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM

DING. That's Post of the Week, rightt there.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
You need more then just pitching. I agree it's a key issue and has been all season, but the INCONSISTENCY of the 2006 Sox has been the #1 issue.

The Sox will win 12 of 17 then go right in the tank for ten days. They go 17-7 in April have a 3 1/2 game divisional lead after May 9th then play .500 ball for a month, then light up the night in June and have looked bad since then.

See what I mean?

If the Sox get good pitching but little else, while they have a better chance of winning, it also could mean losses like Monday and Tuesday.

Pitching isn't the 'be all, end all' that some make it out to be.

This is a team with seven All-Stars, the defending World Series champion with talent to spare. The entire team needs to play better, not just offense, defense or pitching.

Every facet of the club needs to raise their game for the final three weeks. Including those little things have have driven everyone (including Ozzie) nuts this year...bunting, stealing bases, hitting the other way.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
You need more then just pitching. I agree it's a key issue and has been all season, but the INCONSISTENCY of the 2006 Sox has been the #1 issue.

The Sox will win 12 of 17 then go right in the tank for ten days. They go 17-7 in April have a 3 1/2 game divisional lead after May 9th then play .500 ball for a month, then light up the night in June and have looked bad since then.

See what I mean?

If the Sox get good pitching but little else, while they have a better chance of winning, it also could mean losses like Monday and Tuesday.

Pitching isn't the 'be all, end all' that some make it out to be.

This is a team with seven All-Stars, the defending World Series champion with talent to spare. The entire team needs to play better, not just offense, defense or pitching.

Every facet of the club needs to raise their game for the final three weeks. Including those little things have have driven everyone (including Ozzie) nuts this year...bunting, stealing bases, hitting the other way.

LipMy point was, though, that I believe a lot of the offensive inconsistencies are traceable to the inconsistent pitching. When you don't have confidence in your pitching, hitters tend to press, feeling like they have to score 6-7 runs to have a chance to win. As everyone knows, hitting is one of the few things where you do WORSE the harder you try. OTOH, when you feel like your pitching is going to keep you in the game it's a lot easier to relax as a hitter. Also, when you find yourself down 7-1 the bunting, stealing bases and hitting the other way tend to go out the window. I think CONSISTENT good pitching will be the key to more consistent offense, not the other way around. If the starters can begin stringing together starts like we've seen the last three games, the offense will start producing consistently.

bluestar
09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
My point was, though, that I believe a lot of the offensive inconsistencies are traceable to the inconsistent pitching. When you don't have confidence in your pitching, hitters tend to press, feeling like they have to score 6-7 runs to have a chance to win. As everyone knows, hitting is one of the few things where you do WORSE the harder you try. OTOH, when you feel like your pitching is going to keep you in the game it's a lot easier to relax as a hitter. Also, when you find yourself down 7-1 the bunting, stealing bases and hitting the other way tend to go out the window. I think CONSISTENT good pitching will be the key to more consistent offense, not the other way around. If the starters can begin stringing together starts like we've seen the last three games, the offense will start producing consistently.

Yes...again.

jdieter
09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Don't like saying it with an 80-60 record, but with respect to the roller coaster ride since the break, the lack of clutch hitting lately, a bull pen that is full of heifers, the remaining schedule.... I don't see us winning 15 of the next 22 to get in, so from my perspective it's up to the Twins to falter because we don't know what carpe diem means.

Sox-o-matic
09-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Hopefully Mark's ugly showing yesterday will be the exception, not the rule, for the rest of the season.