PDA

View Full Version : brewers and realignment

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 12:20 AM
The cubs being the only sixth place thing got me thinking again about why the brewers are even in the NL ? does anyone know or even remember what the reasoning was at the time? I'm posting here cuz i think its a big anti Sox conspiracy.

RadioheadRocks
09-07-2006, 12:24 AM
My recollection is a little vague (since at that time I was still not 100% "back" from the strike), but I believe Kansas City and Milwaukee were the two candidates for realignment at that time. I do remember hearing various folks saying "Milwaukee was always a NATIONAL LEAGUE town" an awful lot back then.

ondafarm
09-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I'd love to see the Brewers back in the AL with three five team divisions in both leagues. It'd mean sacrificing KC to the AL West, the Rangers would love that.

The other down side, at least in the minds of the owners would be continuous interleague play.

I think Selig has virtually ruled that out.

JorgeFabregas
09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
They want an even number of teams in each league, so that you don't have two teams with a night off every night except during inter-league play.

JorgeFabregas
09-07-2006, 12:36 AM
The other down side, at least in the minds of the owners would be continuous interleague play.

I think Selig has virtually ruled that out.
Or that.

TheOldRoman
09-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Oh man, if Hangar18 were still here, he would go on a nice long rant about Selig being pure evil, and moving the Brewers to the NL just so they could sell out games against the Cubs, and selling out their HISTORY, and so forth...

I don't miss him.:D:

CallMeNuts
09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
IIRC: Both the Rockies and the D-Backs insisted on being in the NL. If one of those teams had been assigned to the AL, then the AL would have been the league with 16 teams and the Brewers would not have moved.

I really miss my annual trip to Milwaukee for the Sox series.

Parrothead
09-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh man, if Hangar18 were still here, he would go on a nice long rant about Selig being pure evil, and moving the Brewers to the NL just so they could sell out games against the Cubs, and selling out their HISTORY, and so forth...

I miss ole Hangar !:whiner:

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
IIRC: Both the Rockies and the D-Backs insisted on being in the NL. If one of those teams had been assigned to the AL, then the AL would have been the league with 16 teams and the Brewers would not have moved.

I really miss my annual trip to Milwaukee for the Sox series.

The DBacks didn't have a say in the matter. In fact, until 2002, the league still had the authority to move the D-Backs to the AL without the team's approval.

I heard Selig use that "Milwaukee was always an NL city" excuse. By the way, "always" was really only the 15 years that the Braves played there. Also, with the Nationals shouldn't they now be arguing that Washington has always been an AL city since it was in the AL for 70 years?

IMO, MLB totally screwed up a potential Sox-Brewers rivalry. Soon after the Brewers started play in Milw., they were moved to the AL East - so the Sox and Brewers were almost always in separate divisions and a rivalry never formed. They finally ended up in the same division in '94, but that only lasted a few seasons before the Brewers went to the NL.

Selig may have had his eyes on the Cubs, but I think the Brewers really missed out on a chance for form a very strong Great Lakes rivalry between Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland - baseball's version of the NFL's black and blue division. In the long run, I think that would have been better for the Brewers franchise. Instead, they chose to have their park overrun 9 times a year by assclowns wearing blue and red.

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2006, 09:25 AM

I don't miss him.:D:Except that that really is the reason. Selig looked at the big attendance numbers at Wrigley and the much smaller numbers at Comiskey and figured with 7-8 Cubs visits to Milwaukee he could add at least another 50-100k in attendance.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Except that that really is the reason. Selig looked at the big attendance numbers at Wrigley and the much smaller numbers at Comiskey and figured with 7-8 Cubs visits to Milwaukee he could add at least another 50-100k in attendance.

Looks like that could backfire on him.:smile:

TheOldRoman
09-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Except that that really is the reason. Selig looked at the big attendance numbers at Wrigley and the much smaller numbers at Comiskey and figured with 7-8 Cubs visits to Milwaukee he could add at least another 50-100k in attendance.
Yes, but that still doesn't make Hangar sane.

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 11:23 AM
so has Chicago always been an AL or NL town?

i dunno bout but evil but selig sure is absolute stupid

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 11:43 AM

This was shortsighted by Selig (no surprise, coming from a very shortsighted man). Instead of building a fanbase by drawing crowds for games against 3 nearby "natural" rivals (Sox, Twins, Tigers), he wanted to just ride solely on the Cubs coattails. Aside from the Cubs, the other NL Central teams are from cities that really aren't very close to Milwaukee (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Houston). Maybe St. Louis, but even that's a bit removed from Wisconsin.

The Sox did a good job of giving the Brewers alot of high turnouts when they were in the AL. I remember going to Sox-Brewer games that had 40,000+ while the Brewers were average less than 20,000 for the rest of the season. Too bad that never got acknowledged by anyone.

Ironically, after going for the Cubs crowd, the Brewers this year are pushing a "Take Back Miller Park" campaigned because too many Cub fans fill their seats. Isn't that exactly what they wanted? :?:

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
maybe i can be the new hangar guy cuz i really think sometimes that there is an anti chicago conspiracy involved with the. it could go back to the days that ban johnson ran the al from chicago and thereis some ingrained resentment from other clubs. but it seems that all of these division and realignment decisions hurt the sox. such as the sox being in the AL west.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Bud Selig has always had a NL commection. When he grew up the Braves made Milwaukee a N.L. town. That's what he always wanted and that's what he got.

Lip

mandmandm
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Didn't Bud at the time claim that his ballclub was more suited to play NL style baseball? Their track record has proven that was BS. I think he was too cheap to pay for the DH.

It is a shame that MLB couldn't get a Sox/Brewers series this year with the central going against the central in interleague. It has been quite some time since the Sox and Brewers played a regular season game.

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
maybe i can be the new hangar guy cuz i really think sometimes that there is an anti chicago conspiracy involved with the. it could go back to the days that ban johnson ran the al from chicago and thereis some ingrained resentment from other clubs. but it seems that all of these division and realignment decisions hurt the sox. such as the sox being in the AL west.

In the standings, the the Cubs have definitely benefitted from division alignments that consistently puts them in weaker divisions. Not a conspiracy, just dumb luck. Example, the 1990 Sox had a better record than the '89 Cubs - yet the Cubs made the playoffs while the Sox finished 9 games out.

The '98 and '03 Cubs made the playoffs, but the '72, '77, and '90 Sox had better records and got nothing. The much-hyped '03 Cubs would have missed the playoffs if they were in the AL.

Beer Can Chicken
09-07-2006, 03:20 PM

I think there is some truth to this. There is a reason the Brewers only play the Cubs at Miller Park during the week and not during the weekends. Its b/c they sell out.

ewokpelts
09-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I think there is some truth to this. There is a reason the Brewers only play the Cubs at Miller Park during the week and not during the weekends. Its b/c they sell out.in 2003, the cubs gave the brewers thier highest ever series avergae attendance, as well as three of thier highest attended games ever.

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
see all this evidence makes 'just dumb luck' less and less plausible

Railsplitter
09-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Seeing KC as being in between Denver and St Louis, the Royals should have gone to the National League.

BTW, the Current Baltimore Orioles were the Millwaukee Brewers in the AL's first season. The became th St.Louis Browns in 1902.

Thome25
09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I believe the thinking was (and correct me if I'm wrong.) that both leagues needed to have an even number of teams. They wanted to move the Tigers out of the AL east and into the AL central.

So the two candidates to move to the NL were the Royals and Brewers. The Royals were the first choice but, they balked at the idea. So, Selig moved HIS team into the NL because they were the ones that he had total control over.

The Dude
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I miss ole Hangar !:whiner:
Me too! I love Flubsession!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/6/Dumpjerryupclose.JPG
"Did sombody say Flubsession??":tongue:

Notice the teal Dump!

RadioheadRocks
09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Ironically, after going for the Cubs crowd, the Brewers this year are pushing a "Take Back Miller Park" campaign because too many Cub fans fill their seats. Isn't that exactly what they wanted? :?:

I believe we've come across the best example of "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!" I've ever seen. :D:

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I believe the thinking was (and correct me if I'm wrong.) that both leagues needed to have an even number of teams. They wanted to move the Tigers out of the AL east and into the AL central.

So the two candidates to move to the NL were the Royals and Brewers. The Royals were the first choice but, they balked at the idea. So, Selig moved HIS team into the NL because they were the ones that he had total control over.

I actually heard Milwaukee had first dibs and that the Royals chimed in ahead of time that they'd gladly go. The Brewers being owned by the Commisioner, were given first choice and jumped.