PDA

View Full Version : Root for the Sox & the Tigers this weekend

A. Cavatica
09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
If we sweep Cleveland, all outcomes are good. The worst outcome is Minnesota sweeping Detroit, which would leave us 0.5 games behind BOTH teams for the wild card. But a Detroit sweep would put us 3.5 up on Minnesota.

If we take 3 against Cleveland and the Tigers split or win their series, we'll be back in the wild card lead. But if Minnesota takes 3, we'll be 0.5 behind them and 2.5 behind Detroit; and if they sweep, we'll be 1.5 behind both teams.

If we take 2 against Cleveland, we want the Tigers to win at least 3, so we can overtake Minnesota. The bad news is we could be 2.5 back of both teams if the Twins sweep.

If we win only 1 against Cleveland, we can pretty much kiss the division goodbye. We'd be AT BEST 3.5 behind the Tigers and Twins. A Tiger sweep would leave us 7.5 behind Detroit -- but 0.5 ahead of Minnesota.

If we get swept by Cleveland, see you next year. The best outcome (Tiger sweep) leaves us 0.5 behind Minnesota, with four games off the schedule.

whitesoxfan
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
As long as we sweep Cleveland, I don't care what happens.

A Tiggers-Twins split would be nice.

BeviBall!
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
http://www.splitfocus.org/pics/lis-robot.jpg

That does not compute!

ondafarm
09-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Win or die trying.

34rancher
09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Heck with that, I want the division....the only way we get home field advantage in the AL...

The Dude
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Who cares what happens over there. We can only hope that they play four 19 inning games and blow out their staffs.

A Twins sweep along with ours own = all teams in a < 1 game deadlock of each other. I'll take my chances there! Remember, we only need to finish 1st or 2nd there. 3rd place goes home. I like my chances against the struggling Tigers if we can put some kind of streak together.
Cleveland, however, will not lay down for us so we must play like champs.

White City
09-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Who cares what happens over there. We can only hope that they play four 19 inning games and blow out their staffs.

A Twins sweep along with ours own = all teams in a < 1 game deadlock of each other. I'll take my chances there! Remember, we only need to finish 1st or 2nd there. 3rd place goes home. I like my chances against the struggling Tigers if we can put some kind of streak together.
Cleveland, however, will not lay down for us so we must play like champs.

Agreed. With the last series being AT MINNESOTA, I would love to see the deadlock and how Detroit handles it. If they fall away and the Sox and Twins pick it up from there, then the final series is about playoff seeding. My heart could probably take that.

chisoxmike
09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Let the Tigers and Twins beat the **** out of eachother, I'm more worried about how we play against the Indians. They hate us and are bitter about not living up to the "experts" predictions to win the Central, also, Travis Hafner makes it his personal mission to beat the White Sox.

Let's just take care of our business. If we win, we'll gain on someone!!!

GO SOX!

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2006, 11:41 PM

This is exactly my hopes. That, or sweeping Cleveland, while the Tigers take 3 of 4 from the Twins.

But, as Hangar18's sign from last year said, "JUST WIN!"

A. Cavatica
09-06-2006, 11:44 PM
If we sweep, it doesn't matter so much who wins the DET/MIN series. As I said, the worst outcome is the Sox 0.5 behind both the Twins and Tigers, with the Tigers in free fall.

But we're unlikely to sweep. If we split, a Minnesota sweep puts us 2.5 out of the wild card. And if we get swept, Minny could pretty much eliminate us by sweeping.

Please curb any desire to root for the Twins until the Sox pass them in the standings!

Flight #24
09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
If we sweep Cleveland, all outcomes are good. The worst outcome is Minnesota sweeping Detroit, which would leave us 0.5 games behind BOTH teams for the wild card. But a Detroit sweep would put us 3.5 up on Minnesota.

I beg to differ. IMO the Twins adding Liriano is going to be difficult. The Tiggers are slumping just like the Sox and aren't getting anyone major added. Plus, whereas the Sox can beat the Tiggers, they struggle in the Twinkiedome.

Then there's also the fact that if the Sox are within a game of Detroit, in the immortal words of Charles Barkley, I don't think "you'd be able to get a pencil up their asses with a ballpeen hammer" (as said to opponent Chris Carr in the NBA finals when he was about to shoot FTs with the clock finished and the game on the line).

A. Cavatica
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
I beg to differ. IMO the Twins adding Liriano is going to be difficult. The Tiggers are slumping just like the Sox and aren't getting anyone major added. Plus, whereas the Sox can beat the Tiggers, they struggle in the Twinkiedome.

The first order of business has to be to get back into the Wild Card lead. I agree that Minnesota looks tougher than Detroit right now, but it's a lot harder to make up 5 games than 1 game.

And Liriano's not back yet.

Chips
09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Let the Tigers and Twins beat the **** out of eachother, I'm more worried about how we play against the Indians. They hate us and are bitter about not living up to the "experts" predictions to win the Central, also, Travis Hafner makes it his personal mission to beat the White Sox.

Let's just take care of our business. If we win, we'll gain on someone!!!

GO SOX!

I like this idea. Just win our ****ing games.

buehrle4cy05
09-07-2006, 12:20 AM
I like this idea. Just win our ****ing games.

I agree. As long as we win, nothing bad can happen.

Boondock Saint
09-07-2006, 12:44 AM
How's about this one? Let's sweep the Indians, and everything else will work itself out. Someone is losing those games...we win, we gain ground. We lose, we lose ground. So no worrying about them. Let's handle our bidness first.

IlliniSox4Life
09-07-2006, 01:43 AM
I vote for the "Just win the ****ing games" option. That's all we have to do. Win.

harwar
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I couldn't agree more.
The tigers don't scare me at all,but the twins do.
Having Santana and Liriano back to back and healthy is a problem.
I hope the tigers sweep the twins and knock them back a bit before Liriano takes his place in the rotation next week.
They will handle Radke so that he can go all out in the last series against us.
I don't want to have to beat Santana,Liriano & Radke to get in.

SouthSoxFan
09-07-2006, 09:17 AM
The Tiggers are slumping just like the Sox and aren't getting anyone major added.

Don't they get Carlos Guillen back this weekend? And I heard Polanco may be back in a couple weeks.

CaptainBallz
09-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I refuse to predict anything based on the Sox completing a sweep. Good things CAN happen in these next few weeks. That's all I know and hopefully the Sox begin to accept it.

Postpone the vacations guys. Do this playoff thing...

MadetoOrta
09-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Here's an idea: win tonight and worry about Friday on Friday. We don't have to sweep Cleveland. It would be nice. Let's just worry about tonight.

kobo
09-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't give a **** what those other 2 teams do, I am more concerned with the Sox winning and playing well. If the Sox win, everything will take care of itself.

Gavin
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM

If we take 3 against Cleveland and the Tigers split or win their series, we'll be back in the wild card lead. But if Minnesota takes 3, we'll be 0.5 behind them and 2.5 behind Detroit; and if they sweep, we'll be 1.5 behind both teams.

If we take 2 against Cleveland, we want the Tigers to win at least 3, so we can overtake Minnesota. The bad news is we could be 2.5 back of both teams if the Twins sweep.

If we win only 1 against Cleveland, we can pretty much kiss the division goodbye. We'd be AT BEST 3.5 behind the Tigers and Twins. A Tiger sweep would leave us 7.5 behind Detroit -- but 0.5 ahead of Minnesota.

If we get swept by Cleveland, see you next year. The best outcome (Tiger sweep) leaves us 0.5 behind Minnesota, with four games off the schedule.

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent breakdown/summary of this weekend's games and possibilities. Thanks! :thumbsup:

IronFisk
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
More crap-on-a-stick! Just win BABY!!!

INSox56
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Honestly I don't think it matters WHICH team sweeps. I think it'd be pretty nice if the twinks sweep (ONLY IF WE WIN AT LEAST 3/4), but I also believe it to be pretty beneficial for a tigers sweep. I think a 2-1 series either way over there would disappoint..

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
If the Sox win games then what Detroit or Minnesota do doesn't matter.

Cleveland is another bad team with a losing record (although they have won 12 of their last 16) that has stuck it to the Sox all year long. (7-5 vs. Sox).

Time to wake up and play the way you are capable of.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
South:

Palanco's out for the season.

Lip

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I dont want either to sweep cuz you dont want either team to get hot at this point

maurice
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
The Sox don't need to pass Minnesota. They just need to pass one of the top 2 teams. At this rate, I think they're more likely to pass Detroit and send them home for the offseason (unless the Sox keep losing 2 out of every 3 games).

my5thbench
09-07-2006, 01:46 PM
imagine if the Sox sweep the Tribe & the Twins sweep Detroit....nearly a three way tie would result...1/2 game apart....wow!

bring it on!

samram
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Anyone see this quote from Leyland?

"Do we have pressure on us? Yeah, we do," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "But in my opinion, we have less pressure than Minnesota, the White Sox and some of the teams that were supposed to win. We were supposed to get better."

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=260907109)

Even if there's some truth in that, I think he's trying to deflect some of the pressure and it's clear they're feeling the heat.

IJay22
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
that would be a very interesting combo, I just want the Sox to sweep and the Twins and Tigers kill each other,lol :bandance:

Baby Fisk
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Uh-oh! My buddy the Tigers fan has just collapsed into ugly dark cloudism:

I have a prediction. The Tigers will NOT make the playoffs. Minnesota will sweep them this week and they will wind up second in the wild card race. Thatís just my guess.

PhillipsBubba
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM

I agree; just sweep the Indians!

If they win tonight they'll get the sweep...they'll handle CC on Sunday!:smile:

bryPt
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I could give a rats a** who wins between those 2 hack teams, I just want the Sox to go on a winning tear. Win 9 out of 10 or go 20 wins out of their last 24 and leave them both in their dust.

Tragg
09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
If things don't go so well this weekend (like we split with Cleveland), we're really going to have to watch the Angels series this weekend, and next week against us. If they sweep us, we've got another team with a legit wildcard chance (depending on what Minny does).

tstrike2000
09-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Heck with that, I want the division....the only way we get home field advantage in the AL...

Ok, let's start again. Right now we're only 4.5 out of first and .5 out of the WC. Screw Minnesota and Detroit, let's take the damn division. Forget the Ozzie comments about BA of late and just put the pedal the metal for these last handful of games. And maybe even Morneau and his team can sit on their couches at home watching the playoffs.

SoxFan78
09-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I dont want either to sweep cuz you dont want either team to get hot at this point

Very good point! I never thought of that being a factor. Hopefully one team will sweep, then be overconfident the rest of the season.

thomas35forever
09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
The Sox just have to take care of business themselves.

I don't care who from the AL Central makes the playoffs as long as it's not the Twinkies.

asindc
09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
The Sox just have to take care of business themselves.

I don't care who from the AL Central makes the playoffs as long as it's not the Twinkies.

This is exactly how I feel, which is why I'll be rooting for a Det. sweep this weekend. Even last year, when Cle. was the main adversary, I still loathed Minny more than any other AL Central team. If Det. wins the division and the Sox win the WC, I'm cool with that.

The only benefit (besides bragging rights) to winning the division at this point is to not face the Yanks in the ALDS, since their pitching (surprisingly) looks the most solid between them, Oak, and the Angels. The thought of Minny making the playoffs, however, makes me ill.

CaptainBallz
09-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Uh-oh! My buddy the Tigers fan has just collapsed into ugly dark cloudism:

Tell your buddy that there's a nice poll going on over here where he can weigh in on the Sox' chances.:D:

SouthSoxFan
09-08-2006, 01:14 AM
South:
Palanco's out for the season.
Lip
No, when he was examined back in mid August they put his recovery at 4 to 6 weeks, expecting him back a week or two before the end of the season. The latest info still has him on that plan, back in a couple weeks.