PDA

View Full Version : The Lineup of 9/6

BRDSR
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I posted something similar in another thread, but it will get buried there.I LOVED todays lineup. LOVED it! And I loved it before we won 8-1 too. In case you missed it or need a reminder, it was:Sweeney, CFIguchi, 2BDye, RFThome, DHKonerko, 1BPierzynski, CCrede, 3BPodsednik, LFCintron, SSSweeney went a whopping 0-6, but I thought his approach at the plate looked very good. He had some solid contact on a couple occassions that just didn't pan out. He's a better defensive option in center than Mack plus it leaves Mack on the bench as a solid pinch hitter.Pods in the 8 hole is good right now. We really don't have any better long term options in LF, so the job is his...he's just not batting like a lead off hitter. Maybe batting lower will help him out, he moves back up, or maybe not. Right now, the 8 spot is perfect for him. In my opinion Cintron has won the starting job at SS for the remainder of the season. His average is better than Uribe's and he is a better baserunner. He has a surprisingly good SB percentage. His arm is not as strong as Uribe's but he's a very good defensive player and doesn't hot dog it like Uribe. He's just an all-around smarter baseball player, and I think thats who we need in the field right now.Thoughts on tonights lineup, the 8 runs not withstanding? I'd like to see it again tomorrow, spot for spot, with the exception of Anderson in CF.
Edit: Sorry for not using paragraphs. I've tried reediting twice and for some reason my paragraphs end up getting condensed into one. Why is that?

ShoelessJoeS
09-06-2006, 10:24 PM
If Sweeney can prove himself to be worthy of being a starter and leadoff hitter, I wouldn't mind him starting everday in left.

IlliniSox4Life
09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
We have the best bench in baseball, so I don't really mind seeing any of them play except in certain spots, the big one being Mack in CF. I don't have a problem with either Cintron or Uribe at second, and I don't really have much of a problem putting anyone in LF because Pods has been pretty bad of late. I think one benefit of Pods being on the bench is he can come of late in the game and run for Thome/Konerko if they get on base and we need a SB. His legs aren't what they once were, but he's still our best SB threat, he just needs to get on base. When others can do that for him, it works well too.

DaleJRFan
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Pods did pretty well in the eight spot. Took the pressure off. He came through in his RBI situation. I'd really like to see what this lineup can do for the rest of the season... maybe even platoon Sweeney and Anderson in center (leadoff) for the rest of the year and bring Mack off of the bench.

Granted it was only one game, but the lineup really seemed to turn over better with Pods batting 8th lastnight than it has been in the past few weeks.

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 12:55 PM
How did Sweeney look at the plate yesterday? I know he was 0 for 5, but I saw his last AB and he hit the ball hard (just right at someone). That was the only AB I saw.

LuvSox
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
How did Sweeney look at the plate yesterday? I know he was 0 for 5, but I saw his last AB and he hit the ball hard (just right at someone). That was the only AB I saw.

He looked confident, if that's possible. He came out every time ready to rock. I look forward to him having more playing time next year.

vafan
09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Thoughts on tonights lineup, the 8 runs not withstanding? I'd like to see it again tomorrow, spot for spot, with the exception of Anderson in CF.

You aren't really suggesting Brian Anderson hit lead off, are you?

I liked finally getting Pods out of the lead off spot and Sweeney's energy. But I think there are better ways to shake up the Sox lineup. This is the lineup I would field, with three platoon situations.

Iguchi 2B
Gload (Mack)/Ozuna LF
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Crede 3B
AJ C
Sweeney/Anderson CF
Cintron/Uribe SS

Gload and Ozuna strike out much less than Iguchi and can both bunt. They would be much better #2 hitters than Iguchi.

Sweeney is fine to play, but I'd platoon him in CF rather than sub for another lefty in LF. Having him means never having to play Mack in CF.

I'd flip Konerko and Thome, AJ and Crede, b/c it should just work better.

Jaffar
09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind Sweeney is not a center fielder even though he is prob a better option then Mack.