PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Old Sox Photo from 1976

Brian26
09-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Came across this on a baseball card site that I occassionally read. Photos from that day in 1976 when the Sox wore the shorts are pretty rare. I've only seen two or three photos from that day. This is a new one (Bucky Dent).
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/Dent_1976.jpg

bryPt
09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
"do I have to slide into second wearing these?"

Great shot, horrible uniforms.

LuvSox
09-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Great find!

infohawk
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
That's just...wrong. :o:

TornLabrum
09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Ugliest POS of a uniform I've ever seen in my lifetime.

NoNeckEra
09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Ugliest POS of a uniform I've ever seen in my lifetime.
Would you say that to Mary Francis Veeck's face?

flo-B-flo
09-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Real unfortunate uni choice. Right after this, lots of softball teams where I played started wearing shorts. I guess Veeck started a trend............in softball.

TornLabrum
09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Would you say that to Mary Francis Veeck's face?

Of course I would.

TDog
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Bill Veeck took control of the Sox the summer they were headed for the World Series for the first time in 40 years. Unable to swing any deals, he watched the Sox finish first, nonetheless. Essentially, he broke up that team before the 1960 season and came back in the next decade for a second tour in which he had the players wearing these uniforms, although he only made them wear the shorts once.

No wonder the fans love him so much.

saltwater farmer
09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
so what's the URL for this site? I'd like to see the other photos.

Thanks!:bandance: :gulp:

Frankfan4life
09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Bill Veeck took control of the Sox the summer they were headed for the World Series for the first time in 40 years. Unable to swing any deals, he watched the Sox finish first, nonetheless. Essentially, he broke up that team before the 1960 season and came back in the next decade for a second tour in which he had the players wearing these uniforms, although he only made them wear the shorts once.I wonder why Veeck didn't think of pairing those shorts with a pair of sandals. :D:
Anyway, I actually think Bucky looks pretty good in those shorts. :redface:

ShoelessJoeS
09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Ugliest POS of a uniform I've ever seen in my lifetime.Couldn't. Agree. More.

C-Dawg
09-07-2006, 05:50 AM
That is how my dad looks when he wears shorts. Socks pulled all the way up, with just the kneecaps showing.

Other than the shorts, I loved those uniforms (although the all-navy road uniforms were pretty bad). The jerseys were a unique look that only could have been successful amongst the classic architecture of Comiskey Park.

MeteorsSox4367
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
That would be cool if there were a link available for this. Also, that picture was from '76...I wonder if that were an Interlake Straight-A/Perfect Attendance game?

Even though you could only get tickets for the teams no one cared about like Texas and California, it was still cool to get Sox tickets for being smart.

rdwj
09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
God, those are ugly!

Fox-To-Aparicio
09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Mod Edit: Don't know if that e-mail address was yours, but don't post information to sell stuff here at WSI, period.

itsnotrequired
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
On a cold spring night, I'd like to see the Sox sport some full wetsuit uniforms. A timeless look...

Fox-To-Aparicio
09-07-2006, 10:01 AM
It was not my email address.

Sorry, just trying to help those that requested information.

How do I answer questions to help others locate the seller of the item with in forum rules?

Thanks for any help with this.

southside rocks
09-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I hope that no photos exist of Wilbur Wood in that uniform! :o:

Red Barchetta
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
That is how my dad looks when he wears shorts. Socks pulled all the way up, with just the kneecaps showing.

Other than the shorts, I loved those uniforms (although the all-navy road uniforms were pretty bad). The jerseys were a unique look that only could have been successful amongst the classic architecture of Comiskey Park.

I agree. I liked the colors and lettering. I was hoping they would simply modernize those (tuck inside the pants, buttons on the jerseys, belts, etc.) when they announced new uniforms for 1983. Instead we got the red/white/blue softball unis (which are now retro popular). BTW - I think the SOX/Astros missed a golden opportunity last fall by not bringing back the 1983 Sox vs. 1980 Astros uniforms. (Insert Teal). :D:

I agree about the shorts. Wrong on so many levels. I can't wear shorts playing softball in fear of tearing up my knees, so I can't imagine a pro baseball player trying to play the game the right way wearing those.

SoxEd
09-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Ugh - those Unis look like he was considering switching the Sox from Baseball to Soccer.

I even prefer the powder blue Road jobs with red lettering (C-L-A-S-H).
(Weirdly, the Home RPS Unis of the same era strike me as a Thing of Beauty).

The Seventies truly were the Decade That Style Forgot, eh?