PDA

View Full Version : Dmitri Young given unconditional release by Tigers

bluestar
09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060906&content_id=1649710&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

DumpJerry
09-06-2006, 07:43 PM
What's that all about? Is he not fully recovered from his injury earlier?
Did he throw a bat at someone?

DumpJerry
09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5941462
They say it is strictly "performance related."

SpartanSoxFan
09-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Even though he may not be the most stand-up person off the field, he is one of the few remaining holdovers from the teams that have been absolutely terrible the past few years. Now that Detoilet has seen some success this year, he gets the axe.

Gavin
09-06-2006, 08:12 PM
This is confounding. He still gets paid, doesn't he?

fquaye149
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Even though he may not be the most stand-up person off the field, he is one of the few remaining holdovers from the teams that have been absolutely terrible the past few years. Now that Detoilet has seen some success this year, he gets the axe.

Bonderman? Maroth? Ledezma? Monroe?

The Immigrant
09-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Inge has been around for a few years now too, first as a catcher.

JUribe1989
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
He should take the time off to get help for his violence issues.

gf2020
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Maybe he was driven mad waiting for that Tigers-Indians division race to materialize.

JUribe1989
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Maybe he was driven mad waiting for that Tigers-Indians division race to materialize.

Z-Z-Z-Z-ZING!

Oblong
09-06-2006, 09:43 PM
The suspicion is that something happened during today's rain delay to force the team's hand. Whether it was getting drunk, getting into a fight, whatever. Before he came back to Detroit one of the local writers mentioned on his radio show that he had a source (a player) who said nobody wanted him back and that he was a big cancer in the clubhouse. Thet team's been mediocre since he came back.

I don't put much stock on that kind of thinking. Winning creates chemistry. If he was bad for chemistry then the pitching would have collapsed too and that hasn't been the case. If you have a lineup of Neifi Perez, Sean Casey, a singles hitter for a RF, and losing your team MVP shortstop then a bad seed in the clubhouse is a minor problem.

Yesterday they DFA'd a guy named Chris Spurling who didn't have bad numbers in the minors, in order to make room for Mike Maroth. Then they bat Dmitri third today but pinch hit for him in the 8th with a guy making his MLB debut? If you are planning on releasing a guy why would you make the Spurling move plus bat him third on the day you are doing it? that makes me think there was an incident of some type and the team just didn't want him around anymore because he wasn't going to play anyway since he's sucked.

dcb56
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM

:roflmao:

Now that's some good stuff right there!

cwsfannick
09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
The suspicion is that something happened during today's rain delay to force the team's hand. Whether it was getting drunk, getting into a fight, whatever. Before he came back to Detroit one of the local writers mentioned on his radio show that he had a source (a player) who said nobody wanted him back and that he was a big cancer in the clubhouse. Thet team's been mediocre since he came back.

I don't put much stock on that kind of thinking. Winning creates chemistry. If he was bad for chemistry then the pitching would have collapsed too and that hasn't been the case. If you have a lineup of Neifi Perez, Sean Casey, a singles hitter for a RF, and losing your team MVP shortstop then a bad seed in the clubhouse is a minor problem.

Yesterday they DFA'd a guy named Chris Spurling who didn't have bad numbers in the minors, in order to make room for Mike Maroth. Then they bat Dmitri third today but pinch hit for him in the 8th with a guy making his MLB debut? If you are planning on releasing a guy why would you make the Spurling move plus bat him third on the day you are doing it? that makes me think there was an incident of some type and the team just didn't want him around anymore because he wasn't going to play anyway since he's sucked.

Oblong, thanks for the contribution. Do you think DY would have even been a part of the Tigers in 06 if the team wasn't so desparate for a left handed hitter?

Foulke You
09-07-2006, 12:02 AM
If an offense starved contender like say, the Padres signed Dmitri Young, would he be eligible for the playoff roster if the Pads made it?

Vernam
09-07-2006, 12:33 AM
In his column on Thursday (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060906rogers,1,4916626.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility), Phil Rogers agrees with Oblong that there's more than meets the eye:

While Detroit reporters search for the real reason that Young was canned—this was not performance related, as Tigers' GM Dave Dombrowski insisted—Leyland must rebuild the confidence of his players.

Rogers also points out that, in 30 games since his rehab, Young hit .292 with seven homers. Hard to believe he was released due to on-field performance.

Vernam

Oblong
09-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Oblong, thanks for the contribution. Do you think DY would have even been a part of the Tigers in 06 if the team wasn't so desparate for a left handed hitter?

I don't think so. I also don't think he would have come back if they weren't contending. He only had a contract this year because he got enough plate appearances last year to qualify. Then he promptly said his foot hurt and couldn't play anymore. He refused to pinch hit after reaching the milestone.

This just seems to be odd timing. There are no roster issues and he was hitting .300 since his return, although he's been slumping the last few weeks, as has everybody else on the team.

soxfan13
09-07-2006, 11:40 AM
In his column on Thursday (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060906rogers,1,4916626.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility), Phil Rogers agrees with Oblong that there's more than meets the eye:

Rogers also points out that, in 30 games since his rehab, Young hit .292 with seven homers. Hard to believe he was released due to on-field performance.

Vernam

Rumor going around is that it is booze related. Detroit sent him for counseling while he was on IR and he showed up yesterday a little tipsy!

southside rocks
09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Rumor going around is that it is booze related. Detroit sent him for counseling while he was on IR and he showed up yesterday a little tipsy!

I have also heard speculation -- only speculation -- that it was a problem with either booze or drugs.

Too bad, whatever it was. Young had a rehab stint earlier this year, and it takes some guts to face substance problems that openly.

soxfanatlanta
09-07-2006, 11:52 AM

It is known that he has a substance abuse problem, but can you be more specific on from where those rumors came? I hate to see drugs or booze ruin anyone's career; it's sad.

soxfan13
09-07-2006, 12:06 PM
It is known that he has a substance abuse problem, but can you be more specific on from where those rumors came? I hate to see drugs or booze ruin anyone's career; it's sad.

Mike North thiis morning and the Mike and Mike show

JB98
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Well, now that the authoritative source has spoken....:rolleyes:

soxfan13
09-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Hence I said------ 1ru·mor Pronunciation: 'rü-m&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English rumour, from Anglo-French, from Latin rumor clamor, gossip; akin to Old English rEon to lament, Sanskrit rauti he roars
1 : talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2 : a statement or report current without known authority for its truth

shavo2k2
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
rule #1, never feel bad for millionaires, esspecially when they beat their wives and get addicted to drugs when their job simply doesn't tolerate it at all. I'm sure the guy did it to himself, and the issue is probably everything but performance related. They should have cut him when he got in it with the drugs, they gave him a 2nd chance because he had been with them, now he messed up again.......It will come out........

shavo2k2
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
and he sucks.

MUsoxfan
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
rule #1, never feel bad for millionaires

I've never understood this logic. More money = more problems.

soxinem1
09-07-2006, 08:16 PM

Infante, Robertson, Inge, Walker, too.

They actually have a third of the 2003 roster.

Oblong
09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
If you ask a lot of "real" Tiger fans, meaning those who follow the team year in and year out, what some of the best memories prior to this season is, they will often mention the final series in 2003. They could have set the MLB modern day record for futility but fought back against Minnesota in exciting fashion. Mike Maroth lost 21 games that year but refused to be benched because he felt it was his job to go out and pitch. He got a lot of credit for that.

Some more on the Young situation came out today. He was starting to sulk in the locker room. The feeling is that Dombrowski felt it wouldn't get any better and anybody they put in his place would perform as well as Young woul dhave so it was best to just let him go and not let him bring the whole clubhouse down with him at this critical point in the season.

Another theory is that he actually asked to be released because he was having a tough time staying sober and the life of a MLB play
er, especially on the road, makes it even harder. So he didn't want to take any chances with screwing up his personal life. Kind of far fetched but still interesting.

The Dude
09-08-2006, 12:26 AM

Whoa, too many idiots in one sentence!:redneck

johnnyg83
09-09-2006, 01:20 AM

gf2020? yes!

johnnyg83

gf2020? yes!

johnnyg83

gf2020? yes!

Gavin
09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
gf2020? yes!