PDA

View Full Version : Is our starting pitching coming around?

FanofBill
09-06-2006, 07:14 PM
I've been very depressed the last few weeks seeing how we would score a ton of runs then the SP would let the other teams score right back. But I am not as depressed now even though we lost the last 2 games. Because I am starting to see signs that may be the SPs are turning around.
Garland allowed 1 run then Vasquez allowed 1 run (in 8 innings, Yea!!), and now Contreras seems to doing ok through 3 inn. (hopefully I didn't jinx him, I guess I did, he just allowed a homer, may be that is all :redface: ). Buerle has been pitching ok and may be Garcia will catch on and throw like all the others.
I know I am getting ahead of myself but I'd rather see our SPs throwing these types of games than us winning 12-9, 10-7 games. Then I'll feel better down the stretch because I know Pitching will carry this team through.
I still have faith that in the end, they'll be there if the SPs continue to throw like this. May be they finally got over the dead arm period? What do you think?

samram
09-06-2006, 07:18 PM
It will take two good turns through the rotation to convince me they're coming around.

FanofBill
09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
It will take two good turns through the rotation to convince me they're coming around.

I know I am just trying to cheer myself up that the WS will make it to the playoffs. :smile:

Soxworldchamps
09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I think that the pitching is definitely coming around (fingers still crossed) and until tonight I though that our offense was going the other way. After this game I hope I'm wrong about that, but the way things are going it doesn't look like I am.

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I know I am just trying to cheer myself up that the WS will make it to the playoffs. :smile:
That White Sox team you see on the field tonight? That's the Real Sox. If they stay, if the Zombie Sox don't return, then the playoffs are a sure thing.

Farmio mentioned that Ozzie held a meeting this afternoon. Looks like it had an effect. :wink:

NoNeckEra
09-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Absolutely, it's coming around.

And as for the Sox offense, the last three nights proves the oldest baseball axiom there is:
Good pitching beats good hitting(last two nights), and lousy pitching gets hammered(tonite).
Note that I didn't say good PITCHERS, I said good pitching. Even bad major league pitchers can get their act together for a game once in a while.

FanofBill
09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Absolutely, it's coming around.

And as for the Sox offense, the last three nights proves the oldest baseball axiom there is:
Good pitching beats good hitting(last two nights), and lousy pitching gets hammered(tonite).
Note that I didn't say good PITCHERS, I said good pitching. Even bad major league pitchers can get their act together for a game once in a while.

Yep, as long as that pitching hold up. We'll go far. :cheers:

DickAllen72
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
You betcha! :cheers:

FanofBill
09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
You betcha! :cheers:
Now, that's 3 in a row, our SPs gave up 1 run in each game. And, how about Dustin Hermanson in the 9th? Things are looking up. :D:
Is DH available for the playoffs?

delben91
09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Is DH available for the playoffs?

He was called up after Sept. 1 so I don't think so. Unless he was still on the DL for the Sox and/or on a rehab assignment in Charlotte at that time, in which case he may be elligible. I'm not positive what his DL status was.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
With a west coast road trip staring them in the face now would be a damn good time for the pitchers to finally come around.

Lip

Trav
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
FanofBill, I was thinking the same thing. I posted a question a little bit ago about the chances of the starting pitchers coming around. It looks like they are back on track. Clearly, I will feel more confident in a week if they can all throw 7 innings giving up only 1 run but right now I'm feeling much better than I was a week or so ago. The only saving grace of waisting away an easy (hah!) stretch of games is that the SP did well the last few games.

So to in response to the thread title, yes I do think the starting pitching is coming around.

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
He was called up after Sept. 1 so I don't think so. Unless he was still on the DL for the Sox and/or on a rehab assignment in Charlotte at that time, in which case he may be elligible. I'm not positive what his DL status was.
My understanding is that the Sox put him on the DL just so that he could be with the team in the post-season if they get that far. I may be wrong, but I think that's what I read on the Sox website.

Here's the item on his callup: http://tinyurl.com/mcp9n

ws05champs
09-06-2006, 09:55 PM

I checked the DL a few days ago and Hermanson was on it.

thomas35forever
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
They've given us brief good runs this second half of the season, but it's gonna take more than one quality start to convince me they're back to full form.

jenn2080
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Man I hope so. That would make me so happy. 2 good outings by the pitchers. Hopefully Freddy can turn it around

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 11:41 PM
So, that makes 4 good outings by the starters in the last 5 games. Can it continue?

The only downside was Buehrle getting clobbered last night:(: , but he did win 4 out of 5 starts before last night.

FanofBill
09-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Another quality start from Garland. And this is the second time around the rotation since Garland started it with that 3-2 lost in Boston. Hopefully, it continue with Vasquez today.

Hitmen77
09-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Vazquez and Contreras added another two good starts.

I just hope Buehrle keeps the string going and that our offense starts scoring some more runs.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060911soxgamer,1,3280565.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
During the last eight games, Sox starters have allowed two earned runs or fewer seven times, with Mark Buehrle's four-inning outing against Cleveland on Thursday as the only exception.

The Sox have posted a 2.19 ERA over those eight games in a manner reminiscent of their 2005 World Series drive.

soxfanatlanta
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I like the trend; they are showing signs of life. But they need one more start each before I call it a comeback.

Good timing.

PaulDrake
09-12-2006, 09:04 AM
The starting pitching of late is the main reason I've declined to throw in the towel.

INSox56
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I like the trend; they are showing signs of life. But they need one more start each before I call it a comeback.

Good timing.

I don't think everyone needs one more start. Contreras, Garland, and Vazquez have done really nicely lately (despite his 6th inning bug, he DID only give up 2 runs...). Garcia is gonna be Garcia, and Buehrle just has to show ONE good start before he can follow anything up...

hawkjt
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
starters the rest of the way;

MB vs angels tonite- huge game for MB- must win.
Freddie vs angels- day game- freddie is good in the sunshine

JG vs Oak - the must game of this series
Javvy vs Oak- zito will be tough on us as usual
Jose vs Oak- need jose to stay tough -the rubber game

MB vs Detroit- scary but MB has heart to pitch in biggest game of year vs Rogers who kills us
Freddie vs Det- must win after we probably lose to Rogers the nite before
Gar vs Detroit- must at least win 2 of 3- Gar is the guy I want out there

Javvy vs Seattle- starts the last home series with a win
Jose vs Seattle- must pray the M's are packing it in
MB vs Seattle- on a roll by now? hope so
Feddie vs Seattle- does pretty well against old team

Gar vs KC- Gar has owned them, needs to do it again
Javvy vs KC- stay mentally tough javvy- more pressure on javvy,real pennant race
Jose vs KC- every game big, no saving our aces for minny

MB vs the pirahnas in minny- not good vs liriano in his 4th start back
Big Game Freddie vs twins- it really big freddie- 1 hit twins last year,draws on that to beat Boof

Big Jon vs Santana- how appropriate- hope santana is saved for playoffs but if both teams need this one -wow- JG gonna have to shut them out. The two top winners in the league going head to head.

This is part torture, part joy, and mostly tension. Its a pennant race,gang.

The pitching staff can only do so much, the bats need to heat up , now.

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 11:20 AM

Well... I guess its going to take pretty much the entire season to convince you, then :cool:

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
I think it was spiffie who said every game from here on in is a playoff game and I agree.

Buehrle has to deliver the goods tonight as we know he can. A brisk, sharp, fast-moving game from Burls tonight will be a huge lift. If he gets rocked for a HR in the first inning, I might push my face through a pane of glass. But I'm not feeling nearly as psycho as last year! :redneck

FanofBill
09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I think it was spiffie who said every game from here on in is a playoff game and I agree.

Buehrle has to deliver the goods tonight as we know he can. A brisk, sharp, fast-moving game from Burls tonight will be a huge lift. If he gets rocked for a HR in the first inning, I might push my face through a pane of glass. But I'm not feeling nearly as psycho as last year! :redneck

Buerhle did ok last night and now Garcia and this is the 2nd time around the rotation. I think we can safely say that our pitching is ok. Now, if our hitting is more consistent, I'll feel better.
But, as long as we're pitching like this, our chances for the playoffs is a lot better. I have more hope now. :D: