PDA

View Full Version : How did Hawk become such a big Sox fan?

SteveFerguson
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I know he is the Sox announcer, but it just seems like he is truly a FAN instead of someone who is announcing the team. He truly seems like he bleeds black and white.. I was just wondering if anyone knew how he became such a big Sox fan? Thanks..

sox1970
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Are you related to Turd Ferguson?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:sLCvtIQd4cR53M:http://www.thesharkshow.com/weblog/BurtReyn.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thesharkshow.com/weblog/BurtReyn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3Duser.viewprofile%26friend id%3D21717649&h=147&w=200&sz=6&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=sLCvtIQd4cR53M:&tbnh=76&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturd%2Bferguson%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

StockdaleForVeep
09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I know he is the Sox announcer, but it just seems like he is truly a FAN instead of someone who is announcing the team. He truly seems like he bleeds black and white.. I was just wondering if anyone knew how he became such a big Sox fan? Thanks..

He was the GM for the team for a while, was responsible for the sox getting rid of larussa, im not to knowledgable on the rest

Hitmen77
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM

They've been signing his paychecks for most of the last 25 seasons.

downstairs
09-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Because they pay him and let him call the shots.

In his life, he's been a big Yankee fan, big Boston fan, and so on.

He's an entertainer. Its a gig.

(He also knows Alvin Dark.)

TheKittle
He's a company man.

The Dude
He was the GM for the team for a while, was responsible for the sox getting rid of larussa, im not to knowledgable on the rest
GM for only a year(thank the baseball gods!!!!) but announcer for at least 25 odd years and dear friend of JR but since he's been with the Sox for so long, I assume he's become a huge fan. All long term announcers become fans of their team I think after the initial company period. Do you honestly think Harey Carey gave a **** about the Cubs before they signed him and made him a legend?

downstairs

Ya beat me to it!

:cool:

SteveFerguson
09-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but there has to be something more to it. I mean look at other announcers and then look at Hawk.... Other teams hate us because he is so biased and he is so pro Whitesox. I know he is paid to do his job, but there is a big difference between him and most announcers.

ilsox7
09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but there has to be something more to it. I mean look at other announcers and then look at Hawk.... Other teams hate us because he is so biased and he is so pro Whitesox. I know he is paid to do his job, but there is a big difference between him and most announcers.

He's good friends with Reinsdorf and has made a lot of money working for the Sox. Think if one of your best friends bought a team, paid you hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and you spent every day with the team on charter flights, in the locker room, and on the road. You'd probably become a big fan for no other reason than you are friends with most of the players and see them every day. Multiply by 25 years and you're a diehard.

DumpJerry
09-06-2006, 06:34 PM
He's making up for putting Fisk in the Outfield.

thomas35forever
09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Being around the team of course.

Scottzilla
09-06-2006, 07:02 PM
I think alot of those other 'announcers' or 'journalists' hate on hawk being a homer cuz they are jealous that he enjoys his job.

jdm2662
09-06-2006, 07:06 PM
If any team, that includes the likes of the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc pay me lots of money, I will become a big fan of theirs. Of course, I can still root for the White Sox since Hawk still has obsessions about the Red Sox, Twins, and just about everyone else that makes the Sox look bad. Wayne Larriave pretty much proved the theory you pay me, I will be a fan of yours.

soxinem1
09-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I agree with the aspect that after awhile he becomes a fan. He's always been enthusiastic, but in his second tenure, he's been a little more pro-Sox.

Like Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen, and others who spent a long period of time with their teams, he's identified with White Sox baseball.

I think it is more than a gig now, I think it's part of his blood.

TDog
09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
GM for only a year(thank the baseball gods!!!!) but announcer for at least 25 odd years and dear friend of JR but since he's been with the Sox for so long, I assume he's become a huge fan. All long term announcers become fans of their team I think after the initial company period. Do you honestly think Harey Carey gave a **** about the Cubs before they signed him and made him a legend?

Harry Caray was a big Cardinals fan. He grew up in St. Louis and called their games fro 25 years. Even after spending a year with the A's and a few years with the Sox, he admitted that he was still a Cardinals fan.

But his statue is outside of Wrigley.

Brian26
09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree with the aspect that after awhile he becomes a fan. He's always been enthusiastic, but in his second tenure, he's been a little more pro-Sox.

Like Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen, and others who spent a long period of time with their teams, he's identified with White Sox baseball.

I think it is more than a gig now, I think it's part of his blood.

It seems people can't really grasp how long Hawk has been affiliated with the Sox. Here's a way to put things in perspective: Hawk's first season with the Sox was the first season Harry Caray worked for the Cubs (1982). It seemed like Harry was with the Cubs forever, and he passed eight and half years ago. Granted, Hawk was gone for three years in the late 80s, but that's a heck of a run with one franchise.

spiffie
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Do you honestly think Harey Carey gave a **** about the Cubs before they signed him and made him a legend?
Of course Harry did! He spent his entire life pining for the chance to broadcast for the greatest fans in baseball inside of the Shrine. All his other jobs were merely him waiting, trying to prove himself worthy of being part of the greatest baseball experience in the world!

soxfan13
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Ding Ding Ding I think we got a winner!!!:smile:

IlliniSox
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I always have felt that Hawk never left his playing days behind him. After all, he flies on the team charter, stays in the team hotel, eats with a lot of the players on the road. He just happens to be holding the White Sox mic instead of the Red Sox (or any team really). He feels every loss and win (in that order) from the pressbox just as when he was in the dugout.

kitekrazy
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Well that's how you keep your job.

SoxFan76
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
You're around a team long enough, you develop a bond with them. Hawk doesn't keep it a secret that he roots for Boston. But he's a White Sox fan first, a White Sox announcer second, and then comes Boston. He's just a regular guy in the booth calling the game he loves.

Ziggy S
09-07-2006, 12:23 PM

Hawk also played with Carl Yastremski.

:hawk

Carl Yastremski is the best I ever played with DJ.

stacksedwards
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
When they won the world series

The Immigrant
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
25 years in various capacities with a single team (including as GM :o:) will do that to anyone. Hawk truly is one of a kind.

09-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Thank you...pay me all that money you'll see me jumping up and down rooting for the Devil Rays

Britt Burns
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Guilt out of all the stupid moves he forced upon them during his reign as GM.

INSox56
09-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Guys I think he means BEFORE the team started signing his paychecks....meaning, how did he go from playing with Boston and being an announcer there, to becoming a Sox employee as well as fan....

bayzbol44
09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I think alot of those other 'announcers' or 'journalists' hate on hawk being a homer cuz they are jealous that he enjoys his job.

Or because he is unprofessional in what he doing because he is breaking the #1 "unwritten rule" of broadcasting...Never become a fan of the team you are announcing for.

esbrechtel
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Or because he is unprofessional in what he doing because he is breaking the #1 "unwritten rule" of broadcasting...Never become a fan of the team you are announcing for.

i think thats kind of a dumb unwritten rule....

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I think its just one of those BS unwritten rules some people just call out at their own convenience. its very subjective judging whos objective isnt it?

MeteorsSox4367
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Combine a ton of cash with a great gig, plus the opportunities to stay in nice hotels, fly on charters and play golf at some of the best courses in the country and you have someone who will pledge their loyalty to you.

Plus, I think Hawk genuinely likes most of the players, as well as Ozzie. And without him in the booth, we would never have heard what it was like facing Sudden Sam McDowell on a hot August afternoon in Kansas City ("he threw me three straight fastballs and I had to grab some bench").

And Hawk did provide me with one of my favorite moments ever as a Sox fan when Crede homered off Riske last year (the first anniversary of which will be next week).

Fake Chet Lemon
09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Yankee fans were ripping Hawk on their board during the last series for homerism, meanwhile their announcer has the HYPER-annoying "The Yaaaaaaaaakeeeeeees Win." That seems to be Ok. I guess homerism only sucks when the other teams guy does it.

SoxEd
09-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Harry Caray was a big Cardinals fan. He grew up in St. Louis and called their games fro 25 years. Even after spending a year with the A's and a few years with the Sox, he admitted that he was still a Cardinals fan.

But his statue is outside of Wrigley.
Which is, in a way, totally fitting - because he gets to see a Cards win almost every time they play there!

Bahdumtissshh!

Tumbleweed

Eh?
Eh?
Whatsamatter with you people?
Comedy Gold, these are...

I'll get me coat.

jortafan
09-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Yankee fans were ripping Hawk on their board during the last series for homerism, meanwhile their announcer has the HYPER-annoying "The Yaaaaaaaaakeeeeeees Win." That seems to be Ok. I guess homerism only sucks when the other teams guy does it.

I only wish that were John Sterling's call at the end of Yankees victories. It's actually "Yankees win. Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh Yankees win." That's just downright insipid. Putting the emphasis on the word "the" is the kind of thing I'd expect of the Chicago Cubs, except they don't win enough games to make such a call practical.

TDog
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Which is, in a way, totally fitting - because he gets to see a Cards win almost every time they play there! ....

Strangely enough, while the Cubs do have the worst record in the NL at this writing, they have beaten the Cards consistently at Wrigley this year. Figuring in the Cards losses at the Cell, I don't know when a Cardinals team has lost so many games in Chicago as this season.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Because they pay him and let him call the shots.

In his life, he's been a big Yankee fan, big Boston fan, and so on.

He's an entertainer. Its a gig.

Sadly, this was my first thought as well.

gjdodger
09-08-2006, 12:45 AM

I think it goes beyond that. I've lived in several parts of the country, watch a lot of Texas, St. Louis, Kansas City, Houston, etc games. A lot of announcers are happy when their teams win and disappointed when they lose. But it's a sportsmanship issue with Ken. He's in your face when the Sox are winning; he gloats. When they lose, he's petulant, sometimes barely talking. You can root for your team without rooting against the other team.

bayzbol44
09-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I think it goes beyond that. I've lived in several parts of the country, watch a lot of Texas, St. Louis, Kansas City, Houston, etc games. A lot of announcers are happy when their teams win and disappointed when they lose. But it's a sportsmanship issue with Ken. He's in your face when the Sox are winning; he gloats. When they lose, he's petulant, sometimes barely talking. You can root for your team without rooting against the other team.

True. I am sure there is more to that. I really think other announcers think he is very unprofessional. Like you said, he barely talks when the team is losing. Do you know of any other announcer who does that? He is introduced as the play by play person...Have you really ever heard him do the play by play like most announcers? No, he would rather talk about how the umpires are out to get the White Sox this year. He would rather say..."I'll tell you want, this X player is the best player I have ever seen or played with."

Fenway
09-08-2006, 04:55 PM

John Sterling and Suzan Waldman WORST MLB broadcasting crew PERIOD

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Fr4Bv1HyCuRPFM:http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/sterling0520.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/sterling0520.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/%3Fcat%3D68&h=191&w=160&sz=13&hl=en&sig2=gPhr9oDW3RdLi5tfxH9qYg&start=2&tbnid=Fr4Bv1HyCuRPFM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=86&ei=TNgBRdXqDMTIaKTMieIH&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Bsterling%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D)http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:AJypxQu7MnCTkM:http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/suzyn_waldman.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/suzyn_waldman.jpg&imgrefurl=http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/broadcasters.jsp%3Fc_id%3Dnyy&h=135&w=90&sz=7&hl=en&sig2=lqRBMzzHC5uEOBuLrt83TQ&start=3&tbnid=AJypxQu7MnCTkM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=61&ei=eNgBRbSpIauuaeuj8LEH&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwaldman%2Byankees%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D)

If you have never heard them consider yourself lucky

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Yet, it was perfectly acceptable for Harry Caray to be a homer when we was announcing for the Cubs.

Frontman
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Yet, it was perfectly acceptable for Harry Caray to be a homer when we was announcing for the Cubs.

Personally, I prefer the homerism versus that "unbiased" calls you get from the ESPN national team.

vegyrex
09-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I really think other announcers think he is very unprofessional.

So what?

Hawk has a style all his own.

I find most other announcers boring as hell.

hi im skot
09-09-2006, 01:16 AM
I loooooooove Hawk.

Mercy!
09-09-2006, 07:38 AM
(He also knows Alvin Dark.)Hawk also played with Carl Yastremski.. Hawk also roomed with Frank Howard and will volunteer his waist size on air without being asked.
:hawk
Hondo was a giant of a man.

soxfan1965
09-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Whatever you think about Hawk, what won me over to him was what he said with a lot of passion at the World Series championship rally last year -- in a veiled reference to the naysayers (i forgot the term he used for this), mainly enemy number one at the Sun Times named Jay -- he said "SCREW EM!!"