PDA

View Full Version : Note On Indians Series

Lip Man 1
09-06-2006, 12:03 AM
From Mark Gonzales' story:

"Failed Indians closer Fausto Carmona was recalled from Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday and will start against the Sox on Saturday."

Lip

Trav
09-06-2006, 12:05 AM

"Failed Indians closer Fausto Carmona was recalled from Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday and will start against the Sox on Saturday."

Lip

I smell trouble for the Sox O... :rolleyes:

bluestar
09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
When I saw that Carmona is starting against the Sox, I couldn't help but think this is going to be the confidence boost that Carmona needs. Every team we face the rest of the year should call up any prospect they have in the minor leagues to face the Sox. It virtually guarantees a victory, or so it seems.

thomas35forever
09-06-2006, 12:30 AM
:roflmao:

TheOldRoman
09-06-2006, 12:50 AM
When I saw that Carmona is starting against the Sox, I couldn't help but think this is going to be the confidence boost that Carmona needs. Every team we face the rest of the year should call up any prospect they have in the minor leagues to face the Sox. It virtually guarantees a victory, or so it seems.
:roflmao: It's funny because it's true.

:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Sargeant79
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
:roflmao: It's funny because it's true.

:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

While certainly depressing, this isn't a new problem. Even last year, the Sox had trouble hitting rookies and guys they haven't seen before. Although, it seems to have been taken to a new extreme in the last couple days.

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Can we have Buehrle and Javy pitch against the Sox? They could both do with a confidence boost!

(If that's teal, it's a very pale teal.)

soxfanatlanta
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Lip

Now why would a AAA starter be called up against...oh. Never mind. Couple that with the fact that Cleveland is playing well as of late: they are out of the playoff race, they want to play spoiler to our run, and .500 is within reach.

It's a nice hill for us to run up, don't you think?

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
While certainly depressing, this isn't a new problem. Even last year, the Sox had trouble hitting rookies and guys they haven't seen before. Although, it seems to have been taken to a new extreme in the last couple days.

The Sox have been having this problem for at least the past few years now! I don't understand why they aren't taking as many pitches. It seems the majority of our hitters have been swinging at nearly everything up there, which doesn't work at this level. It's sad. They need to let the new pitcher get into trouble himself.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2006, 02:33 PM
That's always been one of the things the Yankee hitters do very well. They make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches, getting good looks at what he has and then usually figuring him out.

They don't seem to have an issue with falling behind in the count.

Lip

kobo
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
This has been an issue for a few years now, and it's pretty sad. I don't know who to blame though, is it a matter of poor scouting or does this fall on Greg Walker's shoulders?

Madvora
09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
This has been an issue for a few years now, and it's pretty sad. I don't know who to blame though, is it a matter of poor scouting or does this fall on Greg Walker's shoulders?
As far as I can remember, this has been going on since 2001.
This makes as little sense as anything especially since most of the players are different and all of the coaches are different.

DaleJRFan
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
That's always been one of the things the Yankee hitters do very well. They make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches, getting good looks at what he has and then usually figuring him out.

Lip

Lip, is that an organizational philosophy for NY, or is it something to do with Mattingly and the players they have there right now??

The Dude
09-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Lip

Good thing I will miss that game as the NIU home opener falls on the same day!:smile:

bigfoot
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Lip

That's what many hitting coaches preach. IIRC, I heard Walker responding to a younger Rowand several years ago after another 2-3 pitch AB and ARow was asking Walk, "What was that pitch?". Walk responded with something like, "How would you know, you only saw two and swung at both of them." Obviously the pre-game hitting strategy was to make the pitcher work, see as many pitches as possible, work the count in the hitters favor and smack the cookie. Later in the game, Arow did just that.

DumpJerry
09-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Lip
:bundy

Lip Man 1
09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
According to a story in The Sporting News this week Todd Jones says Mattingly's 'philosophy' is to NOT wait for a walk but to find a pitch that you want in your zone and beat the crap out of it.

Lip

Grzegorz
09-07-2006, 06:01 AM
According to a story in The Sporting News this week Todd Jones says Mattingly's 'philosophy' is to NOT wait for a walk but to find a pitch that you want in your zone and beat the crap out of it.

Lip

Hmm, sounds a lot like Ted Williams' theory... :smile:

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Now why would a AAA starter be called up against...oh. Never mind. Couple that with the fact that Cleveland is playing well as of late: they are out of the playoff race, they want to play spoiler to our run, and .500 is within reach.

It's a nice hill for us to run up, don't you think?

They've been playing very well of late (12-4 in their last 16 games). Dang, the Sox really have a poorly timed schedule this year vs. Cleveland. We had to face them a ton of game early when the Indians were still playing well, then we missed them the entire 3 month stretch where they were playing like crap. Now that Cleveland has turned it around and it hot again, we get to play them again.