PDA

View Full Version : The worst league's worst division's worst team...

DrCrawdad
09-05-2006, 11:56 PM
The Chicago Cubbies!

Congratulations to the Cubbies on gaining that unique distinction!

Hitmen77
09-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow, worst team in the weak National League on a $100 million or so payroll. What lovable underdogs!

But talk to Cub fans, and they still think their team is the envy of Chicago because they happen to play in place that's old and because of attendance. :rolleyes: In their warped minds, the Sox are still nobodies. :rolleyes:

Why any youngster in Chicagoland just getting into baseball right now would want to root for the Cubs is beyond me.

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I guess something can make me smile tonight.:smile:

kittle42
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
:whocares

QCIASOXFAN
09-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I guess something can make me smile tonight.:smile:I'm with you on that one.:D: Go Cubbies!

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Only Cub fans misuse apostrophes.

You:D:

Chips
09-06-2006, 12:55 AM

Zing.

Iwritecode
09-06-2006, 01:03 AM
But talk to Cub fans, and they still think their team is the envy of Chicago because they happen to play in place that's old and because of attendance. :rolleyes:

Not so fast.

The crowd of 31,494 was the Cubs' smallest at home this season.
-ESPN

I didn't see that little fact noted in the Cubune's recap of the game...

Etownsox13
09-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Not so fast.

I know we don't discuss attendence here...but my gf who works at Wrigley told me they only had approx 17,000 show up for tonights game...watever thats worth...

MrX
09-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Not so fast.

They actually wrote an entire story about it:o:

fquaye149
09-06-2006, 03:41 AM

nah--that's not a cubsession...that's a grammarsession... i don't know which one's more annoying to me.

Baby Fisk
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates.

BTW, anyone catch the latest Comcast ads for upcoming broadcasts? It talks about the Sox making a run for the playoffs, the Bears looking to repeat as division champs, and the Cubs "making a strong finish". :rolleyes:

Why not just drop the pretense and promise to show a minimum of 10 hotties in Cub gear in the stands every half inning, since that's what a Cubs broadcast has come down to in this day and age.

Rooney4Prez56
09-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Cub fans will still be happy that their team is not the worst in baseball.

MeteorsSox4367
09-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Making this even better is Pittsburgh is my favorite NL team. Go Bucs!

Hitmen77
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Cub fans will still be happy that their team is not the worst in baseball.

The Royals are better than the Cubs. The only reason KC has a worse record is because they have to play in a tough division against 4 tough teams.

zmz723
09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
It was a lot less than 31,000, try 21,000:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/314/image09052216tv78qc2.jpg

cheezheadsoxfan
09-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Thank you Cubs for reminding Sox fans of what we have and for helping keep my Cubbie fan co-workers off my butt this morning.:smile:

kittle42
09-06-2006, 10:35 AM
nah--that's not a cubsession...that's a grammarsession... i don't know which one's more annoying to me.

I wouldn't have to be obessed if people would learn how to write in English. I learned in grade school.

CaptainBallz
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I know for a FACT that there's a contingent of Cubs fans that are dying for the Sox to not make the playoffs just so they can say that both teams seasons ended up in the same way...Not contending.

This, if it holds, is valuable "****" material.

kittle42
09-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I know for a FACT that there's a contingent of Cubs fans that are dying for the Sox to not make the playoffs just so they can say that both teams seasons ended up in the same way...Not contending.

Actually, I just said they same thing yesterday to a Cub fan lamenting his team's last-pace status.

GoSox2K3
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually, I just said they same thing yesterday to a Cub fan lamenting his team's last-pace status.

So, you're agreeing with Cub fans that a 92 win, no playoff season is just as bad as an embarassingly bad 98 loss season? :?:

No way. While I'll agree to this: Playoffs >>>>> 92 wins. And I do appreciate the higher standards of us Sox fans. The following still holds true: 92 wins >>>>>> 98 losses.

There is just no arguing that the Sox outclass the Cubs this year no matter what happens. The Sox will be in the race until the very end while the Cubs have been an irrelevant joke since April. The way the Cubs have played and the behavior of their fans (garbage on the field, racial slurs hurled at Cub players) has been a total embarassment to the great city of Chicago.

itsnotrequired
09-06-2006, 12:07 PM
At the start of the season, I figured this team wouldn't contend for the division title but man, I really didn't think they would be dead last.

Iwritecode
09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
At the start of the season, I figured this team wouldn't contend for the division title but man, I really didn't think they would be dead last.

With the Red Sox winning the WS in 2004 and the White Sox winning last year, my friend was going to be convinced that baseball is "fixed" if the Cubs won it this year.

I just said "Don't worry, they won't". You are right though. I didn't expect them to fall this far...

TDog
09-06-2006, 12:33 PM

This, if it holds, is valuable "****" material.

Months ago for some, weeks ago for most Cubs fans the priority in the rooting has been for the teams competing against the Sox. The "it's our turn" stuff went out the window by the end of May. I remember some satisfaction in seeing the Cubs collapse in 1969 when the Sox seemed light-years from contention. But the Sox losing this year wouldn't hurt as much after the incredible run of 2005. I have the sorts of memories of a championship that no living Cubs fan has.

As for last night's Wrigley attendance, the Tribune story I read after the game hit that issue hard.

GoSox2K3
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Months ago for some, weeks ago for most Cubs fans the priority in the rooting has been for the teams competing against the Sox. The "it's our turn" stuff went out the window by the end of May. I remember some satisfaction in seeing the Cubs collapse in 1969 when the Sox seemed light-years from contention. But the Sox losing this year wouldn't hurt as much after the incredible run of 2005. I have the sorts of memories of a championship that no living Cubs fan has.

As for last night's Wrigley attendance, the Tribune story I read after the game hit that issue hard.

...and yet many Cub fans still claim that Sox fans hate the Cubs, but Cub fans don't hate the Sox. :rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
09-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Kudos to Paul Sullivan for managing to actually write something disparaging about the Scrubs' attendance in his recap (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060905cubsgamer,1,5126982.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) of the game last night:

The announced crowd of 31,494 was the smallest of the season at Wrigley, and with school in session, thousands of fans opted to eat their tickets instead of coming out to witness a Juan Mateo-Victor Santos matchup in a battle pitting the two worst teams in the league.

By the third inning, only 32 fans were sitting in the bleacher section just below the center field scoreboard, which harkened back to the late 1970s.

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I never lost confidence in the Cubs; I knew they could do this! I'm a bit surprised that they didn't manage it before September 5, though.

DrCrawdad
09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Kudos to Paul Sullivan for managing to actually write something disparaging about the Scrubs' attendance in his recap (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060905cubsgamer,1,5126982.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) of the game last night:

One of the very few times we've EVER seen the Cubune use the term "announced attendance" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69386&highlight=announced+attendance) in reference to the Cubbies.

Those kind of comments by Sullivan are career limiting at the Cubune.

Hitmen77
09-06-2006, 03:12 PM

The tide is turning in Chicago. Sox win 90+ games again and the Cubs lose 90+ games again. Maybe people are finally wising up that going to Cub games is a waste of time/money.

I see more people wearing Sox stuff than Cubs stuff these days - especially kids. Most aren't just bandwagoners as Cub fans like to claim - we're winning over alot of young fans who will be Sox fans for life. Kids aren't stupid, they'll take exciting pennant race baseball over a team that can only offer the oldness of their stadium and some loser singing the 7th inning stretch.

Tekijawa
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't forget they are the only 6th place team in baseball right now!

Norberto7
09-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Time for an internal investigation over at Language Police!

monkeypants
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I knew my Buccos could crawl out of the celler with a little help.

miker
09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
It was a lot less than 31,000, try 21,000:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/314/image09052216tv78qc2.jpg
I'm going out on a limb and saying that Mark Giangreco won't be doing any mention of "empty green seats" anytime soon...:angry:

Kub_Killer_15
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow so much for dusty baker as manager of the year. Keep it going Pittsburgh don't look back!

NoNeckEra
09-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow so much for dusty baker as manager of the year. Keep it going Pittsburgh don't look back!
I think the cubs sucking this year is getting lost in the shuffle of the Sox hot division race. But rest assured, as far as I'm concerned, the cubs failure is a completely separate issue and I want to let it be known that to me, this is, and always will be part of my baseball interest.

And watch cubs season tix sales for next year. That will be the key to the swing of the sox out-drawing them next year.

cheeses_h_rice
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
FYI, I went for a run tonight during the Flubs/Pirates game, down Irving Park Rd., then down Clark, then west on Addison. I did not see a single Cubs flag, banner or placard in anyone's apartment, hanging from their balcony, etc. The only establishments that had Cubs-related stuff showing were bars and parking lots.

The area around the park was D-E-A-D, too. Bars were nearly empty, no one was walking around the park. First time I've seen the 'hood that way since the early '90s, I think.

If the Sox can make the postseason again this year and make some noise, they can probably accelerate the pace of tumbleweeds around the Urinal.

:gulp:

1951Campbell
09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't have to be obessed if people would learn how to write in English. I learned in grade school.

"Obessed"? Is that overweight or something?

kittle42
09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
"Obessed"? Is that overweight or something?

I always pick the worst times to make typos. :redface:

Steelrod
09-07-2006, 01:05 AM
FYI, I went for a run tonight during the Flubs/Pirates game, down Irving Park Rd., then down Clark, then west on Addison. I did not see a single Cubs flag, banner or placard in anyone's apartment, hanging from their balcony, etc. The only establishments that had Cubs-related stuff showing were bars and parking lots.

The area around the park was D-E-A-D, too. Bars were nearly empty, no one was walking around the park. First time I've seen the 'hood that way since the early '90s, I think.

If the Sox can make the postseason again this year and make some noise, they can probably accelerate the pace of tumbleweeds around the Urinal.
???

I thought they "Trusty in Dusty?"

GoSox2K3
09-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Even though the Sox have not really clicked most of the season, they are still on pace to win more games this year than all but one Cub team ('84) in the last 60 years.

I agree that the Sox really have a chance to make another huge dent in the Chicago market by making the playoffs again.

MarySwiss
09-07-2006, 11:16 AM

There's a house on the next block from me that's been flying a Cubs flag ever since the people moved in about a year ago. Yesterday, I noticed it had been taken down. :cool:

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM

Didn't you see any Cubs Attendance Championship flags?:redneck

monkeypants
09-07-2006, 05:44 PM
The Buccos win and put the Cubs back in last place.

Deebs14
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Damn, it seems like those two "teams" have been playing each other non-stop for the last two weeks straight. They're probably starting another three game series back in the Burgh tomorrow. :rolleyes:

JB98
09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Damn, it seems like those two "teams" have been playing each other non-stop for the last two weeks straight. They're probably starting another three game series back in the Burgh tomorrow. :rolleyes:

The Pirates have taken six of seven from the Cubs. I hope the two teams continue to play a little longer. :D:

Fenway
09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
The fall of the Cubs from 3 years ago is simply amazing......

For the true fans of that club ( and there are some ) it must be miserable to see what has happened since that eighth inning of Game 6 unfolded....

bryPt
09-07-2006, 07:21 PM

For the true fans of that club ( and there are some ) it must be miserable to see what has happened since that eighth inning of Game 6 unfolded....

And for the cub haters, it is truly a wonderful time!

Scottzilla
09-07-2006, 07:22 PM
i was starting to feel bad for the poor cub fans who are suffering through this , but then i remembered all the stupid crap theyve said about the new park the ligues etc and i say let em suffer!!!

Iwritecode
09-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Meh, it's not like they have been through it before in the 1984 NLCS with Leon Durham.

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 08:57 PM

And for those of us who had to put up with Cub fans in late '03, this has all been sweet justice.:cool:

The Critic
09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
And for those of us who had to put up with Cub fans in late '03, this has all been sweet justice.:cool:

And this is why I'm kind of conflicted.
I know several really great baseball fans who, as fate would have it, became Cub fans. They are suffering from this, and I feel bad for them.

BUT.....I feel nothing for the Bleacher Creatures, the dopes who throw souvenirs back on the field (why aren't opposing batters' foul balls thrown back, by the way? Didn't they also come from "the enemy"?), the Chads and Trixies who walk around the park the entire game trying to get noticed, and all the other morons who give true Cub fans (the ones who can name players on the current team and past teams, the ones who went to games before 1984 or 2003 [depending on which vintage of bandwagoner you choose] but can't bring themselves to go now, the ones who are ashamed of what the team and its fanbase have become) a really bad name.
The "bad fans" get what they deserve and the "good fans" get their hearts broken.

TommyJohn
09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I know several really great baseball fans who, as fate would have it, became Cub fans. They are suffering from this, and I feel bad for them.

BUT.....I feel nothing for the Bleacher Creatures, the dopes who throw souvenirs back on the field (why aren't opposing batters' foul balls thrown back, by the way? Didn't they also come from "the enemy"?), the Chads and Trixies who walk around the park the entire game trying to get noticed, and all the other morons who give true Cub fans (the ones who can name players on the current team and past teams, the ones who went to games before 1984 or 2003 [depending on which vintage of bandwagoner you choose] but can't bring themselves to go now, the ones who are ashamed of what the team and its fanbase have become) a really bad name.
The "bad fans" get what they deserve and the "good fans" get their hearts broken.

Very good points, but when you think about it, the bad fans don't care
what the team is doing or where they are in the standings. They're just
having a good time. The good fans get their hearts broken because they
are passionate and truly care about the team. Point is, there really is no
sense rooting against the bad fans.

I have no qualms with being happy seeing good fans suffer if the good
fan happens to be an utter jerkoff. Lester Munson is one example that
springs to mind. And Bruce Levine and Marc Giangreco, and that guy
who told Rick Telander that if any of his little leaguers wore Sox hats,
he'd bat them ninth. Some did and he batted them ninth. (Imagine if a
Sox fan did that to widdle Cub fans. He'd be portrayed as the worst guy
since Richard Speck.)

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Oh, I'm not conflicted at all. Not after putting up for years with Cub fans comments about how the Sox are irrelvant, Sox fans are classless criminals, the Cell in dangerous and terrible, nobody likes the Sox, Sox fans always run onto the field, blah blah blah. A vast majority of Cub fans I know spouted this crap and they totally wrapped themselves in the attendance flag.

Remember in '03 when Sox fans were ripped by Cub fans for not supporting a Chicago team in the playoffs? Funny how that sentiment was totally absent last year when suddenly Cub fans were showing their "pride" and "loyalty" by not supporting the Sox.

Even after the World Series, I still hear Cub fans tell me that Chicago is really a one-team town (meaning Cubs) and I still hear them talk about attendance. "yeah, the Sox won and everything, but you can't beat Wrigley and how it always sells out". You can't tell me you still don't hear this crap - and it's not just the Chads and Trixies who keep spouting this.

As far as I'm concerned, Cub fans are getting what they deserve for shooting their mouths off for all these years. As far as those "good" fans, to paraphrase Richard Roeper - hey, it's not my fault they picked the wrong team to root for.

Foulke You
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Even after the World Series, I still hear Cub fans tell me that Chicago is really a one-team town (meaning Cubs) and I still hear them talk about attendance. "yeah, the Sox won and everything, but you can't beat Wrigley and how it always sells out". You can't tell me you still don't hear this crap - and it's not just the Chads and Trixies who keep spouting this.
I heard this crap as recently as yesterday Hitmen77. A Cub fan co-worker of mine told me that the fact that one of the home games against the Twins wasn't a sellout was "pathetic". I told him attendance has been great this year (3rd in the AL) and the team is in contention and that is all I care about. What is more pathetic is his team being 30 games under .500 in the worst division in baseball. He then claimed he didn't care about attendance yet kept hammering me about how "pathetic" it was that we couldn't get a complete sellout. I finally got so frustrated with him, I emailed him this:

Below is the only statistic Sox fans care about:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings (http://javascript<b></b>:ol('http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings');)

with this being the goal:
http://www.ilstu.edu/~mpfarth/r3754367845.jpg

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2006, 02:53 PM
And for the cub haters, it is truly a wonderful time!

The hell it is. I take no solace in the fact that the Cubs blow when the Sox are struggling mightily to reach the postseason.

jdm2662
09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
The hell it is. I take no solace in the fact that the Cubs blow when the Sox are struggling mightily to reach the postseason.

I feel the same way. The Cubs demise means nothing to me, or the Cubs in general. It would be nice if the Sox actually started to win more than two games in a row...