PDA

View Full Version : Are you on board, or not?!!

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
In my over 30+ years as an active Sox fan, I find it so hard to believe that all of these 'fans' are so ready to jump the plank.

I tell you what. The 2005 season was a great thrill for me and honestly, all I ever asked for in my lifetime (baseball only). One World Series win. It brough tears to my eyes and even phone calls from friends and family overseas who ddn't even follow baseball.

After watching some of the teams I had the 'pleasure' of witnessing in the 70's through today, I cannot see how anyone should have any distressing moments to warrant as serious of a claim as some of these posters are polluting the boards with. Honestly, what team have they been watching for the last decade, or two or three, or more? There has been many generations of frustrations with the White Sox, and no matter how good they are, there will be plenty more.

The GM, manager, coaches, and players made mistakes, and I have jumped on many of them myself. I have agreed with many moves and strategies, and disagreed with others. But it's not like they are trying to lose.

I along with many others here had years of hopes, dreams, and fantasies come through last year, and if they cannot repeat it, oh well, there is next season to look forward to. Would you prefer to switch our problems with that of the Devil Rays, Mariners, Rangers, and except for the Mets, the entire NL? I don't think so.

If the White Sox manage to pull out of this and win, I will be totally thrilled. But if they don't, they don't. They gave me something last year I waited our whole life for, and NOTHING will take it away.

If you are a real fan, you take the good with the bad, and take your chances. It is time to put all of our energies together and do something we all agree on, that is wanting this team to win. To do that you need to encourage this team to win, whether you are at the games, watching in bars, or even in your house. If they are winning because you wear white socks or some ripped up, holey t-shirt, then they are.

If you are harping because the bandwagon may not carry you through to next season, then go pledge your allegience to another team.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
LET'S GO GO GO WHITE SOX!
WE'RE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY!

Well, at least some of us are with them all the way. I have to admit, though, the Sox are making my IBS act up lately. :D:

BiggestFan14
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I did not even see so much negativety on this site when the Sox actually stunk. Pull yourselves together and be a fan already. I am with the Sox, win or lose. But I am pulling for them to WIN.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm in; but, I think it's about time for another sermon from Reverend soxwon.

EndemicSox
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Fan and emotion go hand in hand, its why we watch. Telling someone to calm down simply doesn't work.

SoxSpeed22
09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I hate where this is going, but I've put up with worse and lived through it.

I'll never Cell!
Always good for a laugh.

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I did not even see so much negativety on this site when the Sox actually stunk. Pull yourselves together and be a fan already. I am with the Sox, win or lose. But I am pulling for them to WIN.

Im a bit ****ing confused as to why people say we are not being fans when people state facts about the way they are playing. As I said god this team sucks Dye was just plain horrible striking out 4 times yesterday and man **** that Pablo today for only getting on base once today this would all be a different story. What we are stating is facts. If you see something that we are not that as a fan we have no room to complain about pitching or the simple ****ing fact that 3 out of 9 hitters today got hits then please inform.

We are all pulling for them to win. other then select people who threw in the towel you can find them in the post game thread.

HotelWhiteSox
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't think any (or most?) of the fans WANT to see the team lose, that's why they get so mad and frustrated when they do play like crap. Last week, KC and Tampa Bay, was a time to make up big ground and they did not get it done, simple as that. They are just making it harder on themselves (and us as well!)

chisoxmike
09-05-2006, 10:22 PM
It's time to RISE UP AND OVERCOME!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/y2006/ads/575x120_rule_69.jpg

BiggestFan14
09-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Im a bit ****ing confused as to why people say we are not being fans when people state facts about the way they are playing. As I said god this team sucks Dye was just plain horrible striking out 4 times yesterday and man **** that Pablo today for only getting on base once today this would all be a different story. What we are stating is facts. If you see something that we are not that as a fan we have no room to complain about pitching or the simple ****ing fact that 3 out of 9 hitters today got hits then please inform.

We are all pulling for them to win. other then select people who threw in the towel you can find them in the post game thread.I'm not talking to you or the other true fans that are on here. I am talking about the people that are throwing in the towels. I see a lot of them and they no who they are. I know exactly what you are talking about and I know what I am talking about. Don't yell at me for no reasons...

DaleJRFan
The Sox are my team, for better or for worse. If they stink it up for the rest of the season, I'll still wear my faded 1977 road hat with pride. If they manage to pull together and take the Twinkees and Tiggers, I'll be cheering with the rest of you... like I said, for better or for worse!!

Chicken Dinner
You can be pissed and still be a fan. What the **** are you talking about?:?:

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
You can be pissed and still be a fan. What the **** are you talking about?:?:

Who said anything like that? I sure didn't, I even acknowledged that I get ticked. Ask my family and friends, they hate watching a losing game with me andhave for decades.

My point is that I have read countless posts of giving up, throwing in the towel, and one who said he wouldn't post anymore because he couldn't bear watching the team.

I you choose to be a fan of this team, then stick with it, win or lose, is my point.

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
If you are harping because the bandwagon may not carry you through to next season, then go pledge your allegience to another team.

No, it's because they're not not performing and we're pissed. Don't question fandom.

BiggestFan14
09-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Who said anything like that? I sure didn't, I even acknowledged that I get ticked. Ask my family and friends, they hate watching a losing game with me andhave for decades.

My point is that I have read countless posts of giving up, throwing in the towel, and one who said he wouldn't post anymore because he couldn't bear watching the team.

I you choose to be a fan of this team, then stick with it, win or lose, is my point.Yeah those are my points as well, I think some people are not getting the point of this topic. I get mad too, a lot, but not to the point where I give up on my team entirely. Its sickening when in the eighth inning people in the gamethread are already counting it as a loss.:mad:

Hitmen77
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Im a bit ****ing confused as to why people say we are not being fans when people state facts about the way they are playing. ....

We are all pulling for them to win. other then select people who threw in the towel you can find them in the post game thread.

I completely agree. Since when did anyone here say they were going to stop being a fan, or stop going to games, etc.?:?:

Are we supposed to be totally oblivious to the product on the field and not say anything as the playoffs slip through our fingers? If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people who didn't care about winning, I'd go to Wrigley.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Hitmen:

Unlike some others I don't condemn folks for venting and being upset. I can understand the emotions involved.

I can even understand folks throwing it in because as has been discussed over the past few months, this club hasn't shown ANY real sustained indications of being able to put a run together.

Personally I don't think they will. If that doesn't make me a 'true fan' then I guess I've been an idiot for 46 years.

It the same logic that causes some folks who have only posted 37 times, to call out people on the site who've posted for years and question their loyalty.

Lip

GlassSox
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Sure we are upset when the Sox lose but let's keep being supportive fans. This is only my 3rd baseball season since moving to Chicago and I am proud to say that I'm a Sox fan and intend to stay a fan win or lose forever.
I still "believe" we will make the playoffs!:cheers:

hi im skot
09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Bring it. :cool:

VA_GoGoSox
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE DECIDE IT IS!!!

...or until we're mathematically eliminated.

This is easily one of the most talented Sox teams I've ever had the pleasure of rooting for. Maybe they'll blow it, or maybe they'll put it all together. Either way, I'll be there to the end.

Goooooo you White Sox!

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Hitmen:

Unlike some others I don't condemn folks for venting and being upset. I can understand the emotions involved.

I can even understand folks throwing it in because as has been discussed over the past few months, this club hasn't shown ANY real sustained indications of being able to put a run together.

Personally I don't think they will. If that doesn't make me a 'true fan' then I guess I've been an idiot for 46 years.

It the same logic that causes some folks who have only posted 37 times, to call out people on the site who've posted for years and question their loyalty.

Lip

Lip

I understand your point, and agree with it, as I have been labeled a dark cloud a few time around here. But my original post did not pertain to those who were just frustrated, but more to those who sound like they are giving up on the their Sox Fan-dom just because of the teams play since the break.

As a guy who has sat and watched games with hundreds in attendance, I have witnessed more than my share of crummy seasons. I see too many who appear to be on a bandwagon and want to jump off because the team may not repeat.

MeteorsSox4367
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Whenever the last game is, I'll be watching. That's my team. Period. End of discussion.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I agree with Lip, just because you vent and get pissed off about this team doesn't mean you should be condemned. I have always been on board and always will, that doesn't mean that I cant say I don't like our chances. I want more then anything to get back in the playoffs and make noise, but have I seen anything that I like or would lead me to believe this is going to happen lately? Or for the last 2 months for that matter? All I am saying is that we really needed these last 8-10 games but we didn't get them. We only made it harder on ourselves. I hope this team does good when it embarks on its journey out west, but will it? From what I observed over the last week or two probably not. I hope they do but I have no evidence or anything to lean on that would make me think this.

MadetoOrta
09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I was on board in 1976 selling my baseball card collection to give money to the Save Our Sox fund. I will always be on board. The team/franchise is pissing away a chance to take the city back and it pisses me off!!:angry: :angry: :angry: I will always love the Sox!!!!

wassagstdu
09-06-2006, 06:49 AM
2005: Win. Or die trying.
2006: Pull. Or die trying.

2005: Only one statistic matters: W.
2006: Only one stat matters: SLG

Might work yet. Who knows?

1951Campbell
09-06-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm in.

RC_Freak
09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
From Minnesota
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/4759/objectsqw6.jpg

harwar
09-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Bitching and complaining is the Chicago way,but so is fighting to the last man(woman).
Why in the world you would give up on this team,with so many games left,is beyond me.

jenn2080
09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
From Minnesota

:dtroll:

mccoydp
09-06-2006, 07:45 AM
From Minnesota

What the **** is this crap?

BeviBall!
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
If that pic wasn't done in 5 minutes, then for shame RC Freak, for shame.

That's the worst photoshopping I've seen in a long time. Do you happen to work for CBS?

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

mccoydp
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
What's the point of this thread?

If a Sox fan wants to be upset with the team's performance (or perceived performance) on the field, then so be it. It doesn't mean that his/her "fandom" goes by the wayside as well.

Lots of us are mature enough to handle "disappointing" seasons in stride and still continue to be fans.

If anyone is guilty, it's the mediots for setting astronomical expectations for this team and declaring them the World Series Champions before the season even started. As players change, the team dynamic changes, and I think that's what the Sox are going through now. Now the Sox are being derided for not living up to expectations, which may or may not have been placed too high.

2005 was, simply put, magic.

2006 will be tougher, no doubt about it.

Malgar 12
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Fan and emotion go hand in hand, its why we watch. Telling someone to calm down simply doesn't work.

Correctomundo. Furthermore, its not really one or the other. A fan is allowed to be pessimistic.

Law11
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
I'll always be on board. But as a true Chicagoan will only be satisfied when everything goes right.
My right to yell and rant will always be in effect.

There's a line in the song "Tesse" that is pretty fitting at times.

"Dont blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldnt live without ya"

RC_Freak
09-06-2006, 08:20 AM
If that pic wasn't done in 5 minutes, then for shame RC Freak, for shame.

That's the worst photoshopping I've seen in a long time. Do you happen to work for CBS?

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:
It was bad, but not my work, and no i don't work for CBS:D: I saw it and thought it was funny

Iguana775
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Still on board. always will be.

But the way they are playing is frustrating the hell out of me.

Dick Allen
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I am not one of those who has jumped ship. But trends tell a story. And the trend these days is that the Sox find ways to lose, including games against the worst teams in the AL. Things can turn around, but they aren't giving us much hope that they will.

Thome25
09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Nobody is a bigger fan of the White Sox than I am. I am an all-out die-hard and I will love them no matter what happens.

I hope to God that they make the playoffs this season and go far when they do.

But there is still part of me that hopes this season will just end already because this year's team is one of the most frustrating, disappointing, agonizing team that I've seen in a while.

No White Sox team has frustrated me and angered me more. When I see them blowing games that I know in my heart they should be winning, it leaves me angry for days and also leaves my stomach in knots.

I wish this misery would end already. Either by the White Sox suddenly waking up and winning the games they should be winning or by the season ending and all of us starting with a clean slate next year.

Whichever comes first.

It's seasons like this one that make me hate teams like the Tigers because I know that should be us at the top of the Central division. It seems like whatever magic we had last year is in their corner so far this year.

With that said: GO WHITE SOX!!! Prove us all wrong!! I KNOW YOU CAN!!!

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
If the White Sox manage to pull out of this and win, I will be totally thrilled. But if they don't, they don't. They gave me something last year I waited our whole life for, and NOTHING will take it away.

I am in complete agreement.

I'm not walking away from anything -- after 39 years of being a fan, where would I go?? -- but I am disappointed with the way the Sox are playing right now.

I don't CARE if they win the division. I don't CARE if they win the wild card. I just want them to play good baseball! If they do that, and they get beat by Detroit or Minnesota or both, well then, that's that, and I root for the NL in the World Series. But don't go down like this -- the way they have been playing is not worthy of this team!

All season we've said that the Sox never quit, no matter what the score or the inning. And I don't see that don't-quit mentality lately and it bothers me!

Rockin Robin
09-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm on board, but i'm looking for a good place to jump and roll...the last two games have been the most frustrating i've ever had to see

cheezheadsoxfan
09-06-2006, 11:15 AM

If you are a real fan, you take the good with the bad, and take your chances. It is time to put all of our energies together and do something we all agree on, that is wanting this team to win. To do that you need to encourage this team to win, whether you are at the games, watching in bars, or even in your house. If they are winning because you wear white socks or some ripped up, holey t-shirt, then they are.

Amen!

Criticism is one thing. What gets to me is the name calling ("cowards, no pride, don't care") and worse. Another poster mentioned last week an attitude on these boards of "how dare they do this to ME".

Yes, they are not executing, they are playing like crap. Beyond that I don't know how any of us are qualified to determine their mental state.

I'm on board! GO SOX

D. TODD
09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
C'mon it's Sept. and the Sox are in the heat of a playoff run. I know we won the Series last year, but I'm far from disgusted or pissed off by the chances the Sox have to earn a spot in the post season by having must win games down the stretch. (maybe if I was a Brave or Yankee fan I would be) Am I happy with my teams performance of late, HELL NO, but jumping off board is ludicrous. Hell, there have been much worse seasons where nobody jumped off board, why in the world would anybody do it when the Sox are in the thick of everything. Get it together fellas or you won't be participating in the post-season, but I'm firmly on board to the end!

voodoochile
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
It was bad, but not my work, and no i don't work for CBS:D: I saw it and thought it was funny

You did did you? Funny isn't exactly the word I would use to describe it...:?:

Oh and I went all in the minute they signed Thome and traded for Vazquez. I got nothing left to bet and I'm not giving up my shotgun seat

DannyCaterFan
09-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Yes I'm on board, have been so through thick and thin for 46 years. I'm not giving up on the guys just yet. Just bothers me on how they have been playing. This has been a "Tale of Two Seasons" with the team performing well through June. Since July 2nd they are 26-33. Detroit has played at .500 ball during the same period. they could have been caught. If the Sox wake up, maybe we will catch them.

miker
09-06-2006, 05:03 PM
This question of criticism implying that you are no longer a fan comes up so often around here, it has become rhetorical.

Since I can only speak for myself, here goes: Right now, the White Sox are playing as bad as any other pre-2005 team that had high expectations. (And boy can we come up with examples!) Some of it is bad luck, but most of it is that we are just beating ourselves. (Insert immature laughter here.)

I am still pulling for this team to make the post season and even repeat.

I am less confident now about this team than I was back in May and June when we were kicking the crap out of everyone, but that shouldn't be a news flash to anyone either.

If the worse case scenario happens, am I jumping ship? No. And if someone is considering jumping ship, go! We will be better off without you.

A little less than four weeks of gut-wrenching playoff race is better than all those years where the Sox weren't in it and I had to constantly hear about that other team in Chicago.

C'mon White Sox...I'm right here, with you all the way!

monkeypants
09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
You're either with us or against us.

I love this type of thinking.

thomas35forever
09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm on board till the bitter end.

asindc
09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Always! And I'm insulted by the question!

Frontman
09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I was born a Sox fan, rooted for them back when no one gave a damn about the South side team. I might get on them for bad baseball, but I'll die a Sox fan. Just like my Grandad, God rest his soul. He was born in 1919, died in 1985, so he never saw the Sox as champions, and all his life, he never stopped being a Sox fan. He saw the 59 Sox, as well some other brushes with post-season play. I however will always have October of 2005 to hold onto, no matter how good or how bad they do play.

To whatever end, I'm with the Sox until it.

Front

FarWestChicago
09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Personally I don't think they will. If that doesn't make me a 'true fan' then I guess I've been an idiot for 46 years.I'm sure glad you said it and saved the rest of us the trouble. :redneck