09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Pathetic.

buehrle4cy05
Hey. White Sox.

WAKE THE **** UP.

Kub_Killer_15
Wow shut out:(: Javy did a good job but still gets the loss how sad.

Dub25
Grinder Rule #1 Making Horse**** pitchers look great.

The Dude
Prediction: This thread WILL suck. I think we need a new tag for that.

Soxworldchamps
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
For once, Vazquez did NOT deserve that loss.

Blueprint1
What can you say at this point? Maybe we are not as good as we all thought.

bluestar
That was sad.

alohafri
The Red Sox called me up. I am starting tomorrow. Set your VCRs. I'm planning on a no hitter.

Lorenzo Barcelo
Hey. White Sox.

WAKE THE **** UP.

Too ****ing late for that.

joebro25
Major suckage out their tonite.

hi im skot
Hell of a game, Javy.

:(:

stl_sox_fan
Wow. The 'O' Spoils one of Javy's few gems.

CHIsoxNation
Garbage. Just plain ugly.

I'd like to say that maybe this will serve as some wake up call to get their heads out of their ass's but I think I've killed that phrase in the past 2 months.

MrRoboto83
Can the offense and pitching ever be on the same page?

Kwrubac
Two games in a row our starters come through and the offense is no where to be found...Morneau might get his wish....

PeoriaSoxFan
Hopefully fantasy football can cure my pain. Who kidnapped my White Sox?

sox1970
If last night wasn't the night where you realized this isn't our year, then tonight was. They'll be buried by the end of the west coast trip.

slobes
What the hell is wrong with our offense?!?!?! Back to back outstanding starting pitching performances, but we lose both due to crappy offense. Unbelievable.:angry:

Hitmen77
09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
:thud:

Unbelievable.

This team is playing like they're finished. Tonight I've officially switching from believing they'll make the playoffs to believing they'll be in 3rd when the season ends.

Dick Allen
I really need to keep thinking about last year to keep from hating this team.

Bobbo35
I can't believe this!!:whiner:

JB98
For the fifth time in the last six days, it's going to get ugly around here tonight. Just another day at Frustrated Incorporated. This is misery.

Worst offensive game of the season tonight. Bar none. Can anyone think of one worse?

jenn2080
Pathetic.

pathetic was the offense. good was javy. un****ing believeable. god damn paulie and his double plays

TheLittleBulldog

Do you expect a happy-go-lucky thread after a dog **** performance by what is turning out to be a dog **** team?

QCIASOXFAN
I said this in the gamethread, What the hell did we do to piss off the baseball gods in late June/ early July? Something happened right around that time and is still affecting us.

ndgt10
I think a lot of us overrated this team.

kitekrazy

Just use this thread's title and paste it over yestarday's. There's not much more that hasn't been said.

Hawkeroo1980
....aren't in the Sox' picture this year. Shame to waste that beautiful outing by javy.

Makes me sick. This team is starting to officially sputter out.

Bobbo35

chisoxfanatic
Wow...Just wow...Our hitting's taken a vacation here!

That was one of the ugliest games of the year. They need to get rid of the facing new pitchers hex they've been having for the longest time.

3 double plays...unacceptable!

kevingrt
09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
This just isn't that fun. It really sucks and I think it needs to turn around.

Rudy Law
Can You say DONE!!.....See you in 07' Maybe they can find the heart they are missing this year

JUribe1989
Minnesota just woke up and remembered that this is the month they have to win, why the hell haven't we?

2 Positives to this game
1. Sweeney is one of the best young players the Sox have brough up in years IMO. He is a spark, and was trying to make things happen tonight with 2 hits and when he took third base when the ball got away from Mirabelli. This kid better be in the lineup everyday if we want a chance.
2. Vazquez CG 1 ER. The only thing is where the hell was that type of start against the Twins Javy? It was the offense's fault anyways. Let's just sit Konerko if he is gonna ground in to a ****ing double play every time he is up.

Speachless. Greg Walker? Ozzie? Team?

cburns
****ing pathetic effort. This team is going nowhere fast. And by nowhere I mean not the playoffs.

Jurr
I know that I will get crucified, but I'm going to say it.

I don't care that he's a great clubhouse guy and a good power hitter.
Jim Thome's addition added a great deal of power and really has changed the mindset of this offense. It's just like the 2001-2004 Sox offense now...feast or famine.

Before, there wasn't a ton of power all over the lineup, and guys were rallying for runs, putting hits together, cutting down their swings, and getting guys over. That's over with.

Podsednik's contribution to this team has been nullified, because you don't want to run a guy or bunt him over and waste an out when you've got "big Jim" coming up. This has taken away a lot from this team.

I know that people (for some reason) absolutely ADORE Thome, and I like him as a player. However, his addition to this offense has totally jacked up its mindset, and we've become an all or nothing offense again.

I was so happy to see last year's offense that got far, far away from this station to station crap. It's back, and this season is on a knife edge right now.

cheezheadsoxfan
I said this in the gamethread, What the hell did we do to piss off the baseball gods in late June/ early July? Something happened right around that time and is still affecting us.

Other people have said this, but it seems to go back to that loss to the Cubs.:angry:

TheOldRoman
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Trade Vazquez!

Another heartless, gutless, spineless performance by a team that slowly dying. This performance tonight was the performance of a team that doesn't care, or doesn't care enough. They are playing like they have no pride, and know it is over. Throw dirt on them. Another horrible pitcher owns the best offense in baseball. Maybe now people will realize that horrible offensive performances have cost us as many games as the pitching has. Nah, they will just blame it on Javy and say he should have thrown a shutout. We probably would have scored in the 10th.

kitekrazy

Maybe the god's have developed poor eyesight and confused us with the Cubs.

Kub_Killer_15
Before people were saying that we can't live off the long ball... we need to get runs by basehits but hell I would take homeruns all day long now not even 1 run against a no name pitcher. jeeze!!!

Flight #24
I'm sorry, but the only word that comes to mind is gutless. Against weak teams, and yes - the AAA crap the BloSox have been running out counts as do the worst record in the AL Royals, this "Contender" comes up with efforts that I'd consider weak from the Brewers or DRays.

These guys for whatever reason look like they're ready to hit the links. And at this point, I completely expect the final Minnesota series to be one in which the Twins are setting their rotation for the playoffs.

This team has the talent, but there's something missing. Last year, we called it "chemistry" or "urgency". in '06 - It gone. Kenny needs to do some serious figuring on how to get it back. And that includes smacking Ozzie upside the head every so often to get him to stop being stupid.

pczarapa
Wow, I guess that pretty much sums up the state of the state

PeoriaSoxFan
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Earlier in year, this team was the most enjoyable to watch in baseball, now not so much, unless you enjoy recurring pain and nausea. Somewhere in that clubhouse, maybe a turnaround can be spurred. How about a 10 game winning streak starting tomorrow? Or even a 1 game streak?

32nd&Wallace

ode to veeck
dude, there's a month left

CHIsoxNation
For the fifth time in the last six days, it's going to get ugly around here tonight. Just another day at Frustrated Incorporated. This is misery.

Worst offensive game of the season tonight. Bar none. Can anyone think of one worse?

Nope. I'd agree, this was probably the worst performance I've seen by the offense. They were able to move runners over for the most part but couldn't get 'em in. You're aren't going to win my games with crap like that.

BeviBall!
The offense and base running were pathetic... but so was the effort.

buehrle4cy05
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/shingotime10/kirk.jpg
"It's gonna be hard to be peppy tonight!"

Hawkeroo1980
ozzie has lost this team.

I also love the fact that our "captain" keeps killing rallies with double plays

BiggestFan14
October first and the 24 remaining games sure went by fast...:rolleyes:

Still more baseball to play.

Tragg
This team is just not playing well. Twice they had runners on 3rd with 1 out, and they didn't score.
If this isn't our year, it's a damn shame, because I doubt we'll be better next year with this roster the way it is today (certainly changes will be made). We're still right there for successive post seasons for the first time in history.
Nice to see Sweeney hit well. Play him in left.
Is Dye hurt? He left early last night.

sodfatherjunior
I wonder how many dark cloud threads we'll see in the next 24 hours until a White Sox Winner tomorrow.

nofluke69
Pauly.........Two rally killing double plays!!!!
Bad!!!!

buehrle4cy05
09-05-2006, 09:30 PM
By the way, Ryan Sweeney did have himself a good day.

Lorenzo Barcelo

Jim Thome's addition added a great deal of power and really has changed the mindset of this offense. It's just like the 2001-2004 Sox offense now...feast or famine.

Before, there wasn't a ton of power all over the lineup, and guys were rallying for runs, putting hits together, cutting down their swings, and getting guys over. That's over with.

Podsednik's contribution to this team has been nullified, because you don't want to run a guy or bunt him over and waste an out when you've got "big Jim" coming up. This has taken away a lot from this team.

I know that people (for some reason) absolutely ADORE Thome, and I like him as a player. However, his addition to this offense has totally jacked up its mindset, and we've become an all or nothing offense again.

I was so happy to see last year's offense that got far, far away from this station to station crap. It's back, and this season is on a knife edge right now.

You really can't blame Thome....We were 26 over at one point before the ASB.

ShoelessJoeS
Tough luck for Jon last night and today it's Javy. What an effort by Vazquez, he's finally doing what we ask of him, and when he shows up, our offense doesn't.

Un****ingbelievable.

kitekrazy

Excellent analysis.

Chips
I wonder how many dark cloud threads we'll see in the next 24 hours until a White Sox Winner tomorrow.

There is no chance that we win tomorrow.

Soxworldchamps
Earlier in year, this team was the most enjoyable to watch in baseball, now not so much, unless you enjoy recurring pain and nausea. Somewhere in that clubhouse, maybe a turnaround can be spurred. How about a 10 game winning streak starting tomorrow? Or even a 1 game streak?

1 game sounds good to me. I'd like to know that the Sox can win against never-before-seen pitchers and a struggling team.

kittle42
Don't worry...this game will surely wake the Sox up!

KW better be flipping over tables!

Ozzie will light a fire under them!

They'll step it up without Dye and Jenks!

JB98
09-05-2006, 09:31 PM

After Ozuna doubled in the fourth, Iguchi bunted him over. We tried to manufacture a run, just as you are calling for them to do. But what happened? Crede and Konerko both beat the ****ing ball down to third base. That IS NOT Thome's fault.

rookie
pathetic was the offense. good was javy. un****ing believeable. god damn paulie and his double plays

Yup that was our inning. Man, this was depressing. :whiner: Way to go Javy.

DrCrawdad

I'm sick.

jenn2080

Well said well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree

Grzegorz
Trade Vazquez!
This performance tonight was the performance of a team that doesn't care, or doesn't care enough.

Don't take this personally, but how can you objectively make this statement?

TheOldRoman
I think a lot of us overrated this team.
Bull****. We may have overestimated what they had inside, but they weren't overrated. Nobody knew that they were cowards who would just roll over when they are being kicked. How could we have known that this team doesn't have an ounce of pride? But it's ok, they won it last year.

Chips
****ing Vazquez pitched a gem and we can't score a ****ing run. :o::o::o:

sox1970
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
By the way, Ryan Sweeney did have himself a good day.

When Dye gets back, I want Sweeney-Anderson-Dye in the outfield the rest of the season. Pods sucks. Bat the kid leadoff. And while we're at it, whenever it's Cotts situation (whatever that is), put in Logan.

And after Jose gets torched tomorrow night, let Haeger start the rest of the year. 2006 is over. Bust out the DVDs.

Jurr
You really can't blame Thome....We were 26 over at one point before the ASB.
Yeah, the 2001-2004 White Sox had some really good runs, too. They were beaten by teams that put a premium on getting runs across with a team concept. This team is full of guys looking to hit it out of the park, set homer records, and see what it's getting??? Not a damn thing.

kittle42
After Ozuna doubled in the fourth, Iguchi bunted him over. We tried to manufacture a run, just as you are calling for them to do. But what happened? Crede and Konerko both beat the ****ing ball down to third base. That IS NOT Thome's fault.

You're picking one game. He's talking about the offense generally.

TheLittleBulldog
09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Captain Paul had a hell of a game today. Now that we are missing the playoffs, I hope Oakland wins in all and Frank tears the cover off the ball.

vernhillssoxfan

I won't disagree with you there. Javy has one of the best outtings of the year and the offense can't score a run from a pitcher that is 0-3.

PeoriaSoxFan
1 game sounds good to me. I'd like to know that the Sox can win against never-before-seen pitchers and a struggling team.

Maybe we were brain-washed to think that everyone is Johan Santanna.

Konerko needs to wake up for sure. He is not helping us, that's for sure.

PaulDrake

I was so happy to see last year's offense that got far, far away from this station to station crap. It's back, and this season is on a knife edge right now. I agree for the most part, but in the very heavy atmosphere here was hesitant to post what you did. So I wasn't as brave as you were, but I'm here now to back you up.

cheezheadsoxfan
This team is just not playing well. Twice they had runners on 3rd with 1 out, and they didn't score.
If this isn't our year, it's a damn shame, because I doubt we'll be better next year with this roster the way it is today (certainly changes will be made). We're still right there for successive post seasons for the first time in history.
Nice to see Sweeney hit well. Play him in left.
Is Dye hurt? He left early last night.

Dye has back spasms, Jenks is back in Chicago getting his hip checked out.

Kub_Killer_15
May I ask what ever happend to "living and dieing off of the long ball?" I would have loved a homerun:rolleyes:

NoShoesJoe
Heartless, gutless, complacent, what else can be said? I really don't think this team will win the WC. We've been waiting for MIN and DET fall, witnessed it, but THIS team could not deliver and take advantage. Crucify me if you'd like, but right now? This team sucks! I love the Sox, but this is ****ing insanity.

Start making alternate plans for Oct, beloved Sox. Maybe you'll get decent tee times in Arizona or Florida. Enjoy!

spiffie
I assume that some posters will be elated by tonight's effort due to our scrupulous avoidance of those pesky solo HR's.

Definitely a bad time for the bats to go into a slump. Oh well...1.5 back with 24 to go is not by any means insurmountable. We know how awful this team can be. We know how great they can be. Let's hope the latter is seen a lot more in the last few weeks.

cheeses_h_rice
09-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Is it too much to ask for our White Sox to make the ****ing postseason two ****ing years in a ****ing row?

Jurr
Konerko has said a ton of times, "No matter what happens, we have that world series in our pocket."

They sure are playing like it, aren't they?

slobes
When Dye gets back, I want Sweeney-Anderson-Dye in the outfield the rest of the season. Pods sucks. Bat the kid leadoff. And while we're at it, whenever it's Cotts situation (whatever that is), put in Logan.

And after Jose gets torched tomorrow night, let Haeger start the rest of the year. 2006 is over. Bust out the DVDs.

I'll agree with you on the Sweeney thing. He impressed me tonight, and I think we'll see some more playing time for him in the near future. As for giving up on this season? I'm gonna try to be optimistic. It's not over yet.

alohafri
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
:thud:

Unbelievable.

This team is playing like they're finished. Tonight I've officially switching from believing they'll make the playoffs to believing they'll be in 3rd when the season ends.

They are finished. I gave up 2 weeks ago.

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I assume that some posters will be elated by tonight's effort due to our scrupulous avoidance of those pesky solo HR's.

Definitely a bad time for the bats to go into a slump. Oh well...1.5 back with 24 to go is not by any means insurmountable. We know how awful this team can be. We know how great they can be. Let's hope the latter is seen a lot more in the last few weeks.

Great? Not since ASB at least.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I know it is hard to say this, but dont' give up yet. 1.5 games out is certainly not insurmountable. Take away last year, and we would have killed to be in this position. With that said, I know we are playing like total crap and I am the king of ripping on this team.

QCIASOXFAN
After Ozuna doubled in the fourth, Iguchi bunted him over. We tried to manufacture a run, just as you are calling for them to do. But what happened? Crede and Konerko both beat the ****ing ball down to third base. That IS NOT Thome's fault.It wasn't Thomes fault tonight, but I understand where he was coming from on his post and thought it was a fair assessment. Why did we change from 2005 ball back into 2004? I think it is a fair argument and if we do flop it will be brought up a lot.

Jurr

Definitely a bad time for the bats to go into a slump. Oh well...1.5 back with 24 to go is not by any means insurmountable. We know how awful this team can be. We know how great they can be. Let's hope the latter is seen a lot more in the last few weeks.I've been as optimistic as anyone, and I know doomsday when I see it. Here's a trend for you.

July 10-15
August 16-13
September 1-4

Since JULY 1st (Not August or September...we're talking before the All Star break), this team is playing 5 games under .500 baseball.

Delusions of Sox grandeur are gone. This team is a 2001-2004 clone, minus the terrible injuries.

NoNeckEra
Bull****. We may have overestimated what they had inside, but they weren't overrated. Nobody knew that they were cowards who would just roll over when they are being kicked. How could we have known that this team doesn't have an ounce of pride? But it's ok, they won it last year.
I don't want to glorify your post by responding to it but you represent that segment of Sox fans that's apparently never been thru a pennant race before. Welcome to every day pressure win or lose with no let up.

If I was a Twins fan now, I'd be plenty worried that the Sox starting pitching seems to be putting it together. I'm not predicting a post season spot, but I see very encouraging signs.

BTW, send me a PM and we can arrange my taking over the rights to your post season tix.

jenn2080
Trade Vazquez!

Another heartless, gutless, spineless performance by a team that slowly dying. This performance tonight was the performance of a team that doesn't care, or doesn't care enough. They are playing like they have no pride, and know it is over. Throw dirt on them. Another horrible pitcher owns the best offense in baseball. Maybe now people will realize that horrible offensive performances have cost us as many games as the pitching has. Nah, they will just blame it on Javy and say he should have thrown a shutout. We probably would have scored in the 10th.

Im no Vazquez fan at all but the guy pitched lights out today. IT is a god damn shame when the only people who got hits was our Pablo Sweeney and Gooch. Where the hell were the 3-8 hitters?????????????????????

PeoriaSoxFan
09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Ryan Sweeney was probably impressive tonight because he is used to going against Minor League pitching.

DickAllen72
Awesome game by Vazquez. Got to hand it to Javy, the Sox need their starters to step it up and he came through big. That's two awesome starts by Sox pitchers in a row. If they do happen to make the playoffs, that bodes well for post-season success.

Got to tip your hat to the Red Sox staff the past two nights. Let's hope the Sox can salvage the last game of the series then put on a big finish.....

NoShoesJoe
I know it is hard to say this, but dont' give up yet. 1.5 games out is certainly not insurmountable. Take away last year, and we would have killed to be in this position. With that said, I know we are playing like total crap and I am the king of ripping on this team.

Not quite. There's a huge difference in momentum. Being 1.5 back and winning is a helluva lot different than being 1.5 back and losing. *****.

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Dye has back spasms, Jenks is back in Chicago getting his hip checked out.

we did not need jenks or really did not need dye either. this has nothing to do with them. 3 out of 9 got hits today.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Minnesota has Detroit and Oakland next.

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Trade Vazquez!

You've had the uncanny ability the last few days to sum up exactly what I've been thinking.

TONIGHT WAS PATHETIC

TheLittleBulldog
09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
It looks like Morneau doesn't have to worry about knocking the White Sox out of contention. These dogs are voluntarily taking themselves out of contention.

FarWestChicago
Podsednik's contribution to this team has been nullified, because you don't want to run a guy or bunt him over and waste an out when you've got "big Jim" coming up. This has taken away a lot from this team.LMAO!! I'll give you credit, you have snowed a lot of goofballs with this bit of hilarity. But let's be realistic. It's not Thome's fault Pods sucks. Pods lost the ability to steal in the second half of last year. You are overanalyzing and barking up the wrong tree. Again, I do give you credit for creating a following. :D:

PeoriaSoxFan
Not quite. There's a huge difference in momentum. Being 1.5 back and winning is a helluva lot different than being 1.5 back and losing. *****.

Just trying to muster an ounce of positivity, that's all. And, I believe I tempered my statement by remarking how bad they are playing. The fact is it is still 1.5 back and momentum can change quickly in baseball.

slobes

This team is one of the streakiest teams, both for good and for bad, I've ever seen. Especially with their pitching turning it around, how can you possibly say we're out of it? Minnesota hasn't exactly been playing ting baseball lately either.

SoxFan78
09-05-2006, 09:41 PM

That doesn't mean a thing.

The Sox had Tampa Bay and KC, and they went 3-3.

They have Cleveland coming at home.

JUST ****ING WIN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST WIN!!!

DC Sox Fan
09-05-2006, 09:41 PM
awesome

100 Year Itch
09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Another example where the team cannot combine two aspects of the game simultaneously, another loss.

Great pitching, the offense goes into a deep slumber.

Offense is knocking the cover off the ball, the pitchers are serving up meatballs.

This team has no chemistry.

RSox78
09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
This is just the worst if I see one more double play I'm gonna s--t! The highlight of todays game for me was going to the grocery store in the 8th inning :whiner: .

southwstchi4life
09-05-2006, 09:43 PM
terrible

NoShoesJoe
I think the telling stat is that this team is

5 games under .500 since the ASB

whitesoxwin
Just plain sucked!!
Man, a great pitching performace wasted--11 strikeouts and one run.
Paully hitting into 2 double plays and Crede one ---With runners in scoring position and ONE out.
Sweeny looked good, though.

jenn2080
Just trying to muster an ounce of positivity, that's all. And, I believe I tempered my statement by remarking how bad they are playing. The fact is it is still 1.5 back and momentum can change quickly in baseball.

we did not play bad...we did not play at all. well 4 out of 10. Vazquez, Sweeney, Pablo and Gooch. Everyone else was just there in uniform

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Where exaclty are we at? This team is six games under five hundred since the ASB. The trend is definitely not a positive one.

NoShoesJoe
Just plain sucked!!
Paully hitting into 2 double plays and Crede one ---With runners in scoring position and ONE out.

PK needs a couple of days off. Period.

spiffie

I'm not going to crucify you, but I'm going to disagree as to where the problems with the lineup are at.

If the Scott Podsednik of the first few months of 2005 was in the lineup, I imagine it would look different. But the Podsednik of this year is not the player he was during those halcyon days last year. He runs slower, his first step is less effective, he gets caught on a regular basis. Our #2 hitter, Iguchi, has lost the rhythm he had hitting with Pods in the leadoff spot, so that when Pods does get on, Iguchi inevitably fouls off most of the good jumps Pods gets. So the spark plugs at the top have not been nearly as effective at the small ball that you're longing for. So then you're left with the dilemma of do you run and try risky plays with a not-as-effective Pods, or do you try to keep baserunners on for three of the most effective hitters in baseball? If Pods was the sure thing he was the first 1/2 of last year, and Iguchi was the situational hitter he was last year, perhaps you answer that question differently. But Pods is hovering around a 50% caught stealing rate since June. Forcing the action is one thing, but running blindly is another.

That said, I fail to see that as Thome's fault. Podsednik is just not the player he was. Without that at the top of the lineup, you simply cannot play the running game that we played last year, no matter how much you want to. And it would be totally playing against our strengths to do so.

JB98
09-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree for the most part, but in the very heavy atmosphere here was hesitant to post what you did. So I wasn't as brave as you were, but I'm here now to back you up.

Well, if all of you are going to blame the season's struggles on Jim Thome's presence, then I'll be happy to sit here and fight all of you all night long.

It is not Jim Thome's fault that our small-ball players refuse to play small ball. Did Thome tell Uribe to take wild swings every time up, even on breaking balls down and away? Did Thome tell Podsednik to take strike three looking every other at-bat?

If these hitters are all in the wrong mindset, then it is the responsibility of the manager and the coaching staff to change it. It is absolutely absurd to suggest that a man who has 38 HRs and 94 RBIs is responsible for the decline of the team.

We had some lengthy offensive slumps last year too, and I remember many of you levying the same criticism then as you are now: "Everyone is swinging for the fences." It's the typical WSI explanation every time things are going bad offensively. That's what posters here said well before Jim's arrival, and I assume it will continue to be said after Jim is gone.

cheezheadsoxfan
we did not need jenks or really did not need dye either. this has nothing to do with them. 3 out of 9 got hits today.

I was just answering Tragg when he asked where Dye was. I'm aware that they were not the issue tonight.

MadetoOrta
This team packed it in a long time ago. They have the look of a team going through the motions and making their tee times for early October. Guillen will be the first one in Miami. Are they not 7 games or so under .500 since the Boston series in Chicago? The last 3 games may not matter for either team. Santana - by the way - is the best starter in baseball. Hey Ozzie, call Johan's friends in Venezuela and let them know we'll give Johan $2 million per year more than the Twinkies when his contract comes up.

Time to get ready for Da Bears

sox1970
09-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Where exaclty are we at? This team is six games under five hundred since the ASB. The trend is definitely not a positive one.

23-30 the last 53. Even if they win tomorrow, they've played like a 90 loss team for 1/3 of a season.

JB98
PK needs a couple of days off. Period.

Baloney. The season is at stake right now. I'll be throwing things angry if Ozzie gives ANY of the regulars a day off for any reason other than injury from here on out. You put your horses in the lineup and tell them to sink or swim.

Jurr
LMAO!! I'll give you credit, you have snowed a lot of goofballs with this bit of hilarity. But let's be realistic. It's not Thome's fault Pods sucks. Pods lost the ability to steal in the second half of last year. You are overanalyzing and barking up the wrong tree. Again, I do give you credit for creating a following. :D:
Oh come on! You hear all the time that a team's offensive philosophy is contagious. If guys are swinging for the fences every damn time, it becomes the "in" thing for everyone.

Everyone saw that for 4 years with the Sox. You can't deny that what we're seeing is an EXACT replica of that "feast or famine" mindset.

Okay, so Pods has been off. Yeah, I'll give that to you. However, if you had Carl friggin' Crawford leading off, they still wouldn't let him run. They still wouldn't be bunting him over. Why? Because a three run homer could be taken away.

The beginning of 2004. Willie Harris (of all people) was leading off and getting singles, followed by Juan Uribe bunts. A single from the three hole would usually follow. Our offense was putting runs together like this left and right.
We were winning. This was May and June.

Then, allofasudden, the offense gets greedy. Believes in its homer capability. Rowand and Uribe start lengthening their swings, and hit tons of bombs. Everyone else was, as well. It led to zilch.

This team is doing the same thing, and it's because you've added a lot of thump that people are seeing and wanting to emulate. The entire roster has gone into a homer groove, and it's crippling the team. This is definitely a team without an identity. It's going to be a team playing golf if it doesn't get its collective ass in gear.

RudyandVanceLaw
09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I think for us to secure a spot in the playoffs we need to win 17 out of the next 24 games.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 09:48 PM
23-30 the last 53. Even if they win tomorrow, they've played like a 90 loss team for 1/3 of a season.You got a good point with this stat. The truth hurts.:(:

viagracat
We've been all over Javy's ass lately...now he doesn't give up a crooked number in the sixth inning for once...and, ah man, I can't add anything here that hasn't already been said.

Nice to see Sweeney out there tonight doing good. Maybe the kid can help inspire some of the others.

JB98
I'm not going to crucify you, but I'm going to disagree as to where the problems with the lineup are at.

If the Scott Podsednik of the first few months of 2005 was in the lineup, I imagine it would look different. But the Podsednik of this year is not the player he was during those halcyon days last year. He runs slower, his first step is less effective, he gets caught on a regular basis. Our #2 hitter, Iguchi, has lost the rhythm he had hitting with Pods in the leadoff spot, so that when Pods does get on, Iguchi inevitably fouls off most of the good jumps Pods gets. So the spark plugs at the top have not been nearly as effective at the small ball that you're longing for. So then you're left with the dilemma of do you run and try risky plays with a not-as-effective Pods, or do you try to keep baserunners on for three of the most effective hitters in baseball? If Pods was the sure thing he was the first 1/2 of last year, and Iguchi was the situational hitter he was last year, perhaps you answer that question differently. But Pods is hovering around a 50% caught stealing rate since June. Forcing the action is one thing, but running blindly is another.

That said, I fail to see that as Thome's fault. Podsednik is just not the player he was. Without that at the top of the lineup, you simply cannot play the running game that we played last year, no matter how much you want to. And it would be totally playing against our strengths to do so.

I agree with you. You said it more eloquently than I did. There are a lot of first innings nowadays where we have two outs and nobody on.

sox1970
I think for us to secure a spot in the playoffs we need to win 17 out of the next 24 games.

After the last two nights, I'm done calculating what they need to do the rest of the way. It's not going to happen, so why bother?

TheOldRoman
I don't want to glorify your post by responding to it but you represent that segment of Sox fans that's apparently never been thru a pennant race before. Welcome to every day pressure win or lose with no let up.

If I was a Twins fan now, I'd be plenty worried that the Sox starting pitching seems to be putting it together. I'm not predicting a post season spot, but I see very encouraging signs.

BTW, send me a PM and we can arrange my taking over the rights to your post season tix. :rolleyes:
Yep, that is me. I'm a bandwagoner. If YOU are actually watching these games, and watching this team give nothing night after night, then you would understand what the Sox are doing right now. They are facing horrible pitching almost every game, and they are doing NOTHING. If you face a pitcher who's ERA is close to 8, you better damn well get at very least 4 off of him. Our offense is making these jokers look like Cy Young. I understand pressing to a certain extent, but this is bull.
It gets to a certain point where the team has its back against the wall, and HAS to step up. The Sox are there, and they are giving the worst efforts we have seen from them in years. Our offense is horrible right now. Everyone but Sweeney should be ashamed of themselves for this performance. Even is the pitching is coming around, it wont matter at this rate. Our offense is making pitchers with ERAs over 6 look like aces. Unless we get a shutout every night, we aren't going to win much. But at least you are encouraged.
Don't question my fanhood again. You can sit there covering your eyes all you want, but don't call out people who are watching what is happening on the field.

The Immigrant
09-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Whenever Farmer leads off the broadcast by mentioning that Uribe promised him he'd hit a homerun, I know we're in for a long night.

Hey Ozzie - time to take control of your ****ing team.

soxfanreggie
Our offense must not have made the trip to Boston. We've been waiting for starting pitching like this for a while, but now that we have had it, we have no offense to go with it.

bluestar
Just plain sucked!!

The Crede DP was just an unfortunate (for us) occurance. Crede hit the ball well, Lowell just caught it. If anything, it was poor baserunning by Iguchi.

The first Konerko DP was inexcusable. The one thing he cannot do there is GIDP. He should have been patient (something our hitters have not been doing lately) and tried to get Gabbard to get a pitch up in the zone that he could drive. Even if he strikes out, at least there is still a chance with Thome coming up. The one thing he could not do was hit one of those sinking pitches on the ground, which is just what he did. He's supposed to be the team captain, and there is simply no excuse for doing what he did in that situation. It looked as if he went to the plate with no clue as to how to approach the at-bat. He was like a rookie just trying to make some kind of contact to try to put the ball in play.

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh come on! You hear all the time that a team's offensive philosophy is contagious. If guys are swinging for the fences every damn time, it becomes the "in" thing for everyone.

Everyone saw that for 4 years with the Sox. You can't deny that what we're seeing is an EXACT replica of that "feast or famine" mindset.

Okay, so Pods has been off. Yeah, I'll give that to you. However, if you had Carl friggin' Crawford leading off, they still wouldn't let him run. They still wouldn't be bunting him over. Why? Because a three run homer could be taken away.

The beginning of 2004. Willie Harris (of all people) was leading off and getting singles, followed by Juan Uribe bunts. A single from the three hole would usually follow. Our offense was putting runs together like this left and right.
We were winning. This was May and June.

Then, allofasudden, the offense gets greedy. Believes in its homer capability. Rowand and Uribe start lengthening their swings, and hit tons of bombs. Everyone else was, as well. It led to zilch.

This team is doing the same thing, and it's because you've added a lot of thump that people are seeing and wanting to emulate. The entire roster has gone into a homer groove, and it's crippling the team. This is definitely a team without an identity. It's going to be a team playing golf if it doesn't get its collective ass in gear.

:gulp: :cheers: :moonwalk:

ChiSoxIn06
09-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I am marking this date on the calender right now. As of sept 5 2006 i am giving up on the 2006 season. call me what you will but i will not put myself through this torture anymore this season. I sense that Kenny will take notice that this brand of baseball will not work and re-assemble this team in the image of last years team and also begin the development of the young talents we have waiting in the wings (Haeger, Sweeney, Broadway, McCarthy, and Fields). All i can hope for this year is what someone else stated and that is for Big Frank and his A's to win it all. And on that note i need to watch my WS DVDs.

Jurr
09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Well, if all of you are going to blame the season's struggles on Jim Thome's presence, then I'll be happy to sit here and fight all of you all night long.

It is not Jim Thome's fault that our small-ball players refuse to play small ball. Did Thome tell Uribe to take wild swings every time up, even on breaking balls down and away? Did Thome tell Podsednik to take strike three looking every other at-bat?

If these hitters are all in the wrong mindset, then it is the responsibility of the manager and the coaching staff to change it. It is absolutely absurd to suggest that a man who has 38 HRs and 94 RBIs is responsible for the decline of the team.

We had some lengthy offensive slumps last year too, and I remember many of you levying the same criticism then as you are now: "Everyone is swinging for the fences." It's the typical WSI explanation every time things are going bad offensively. That's what posters here said well before Jim's arrival, and I assume it will continue to be said after Jim is gone.
I agree that people were talking about the "swinging for the fences" crap last year, and it was true for a bit. However, that was a team that had been playing under a certain focus all year long, and that focus wasn't mashing.

Then, they figured it out again, and we have lots of DVD footage backing that up. There were many great rallies that were put together with small(er) ball. Look at the Astros/Sox game III footage for a great example of a team oriented 5 run rally. Short swings. Not long "I can hit it 440 feet" swings.

This team doesn't have that mentality. Never has had it. They got going well with their homer hitting ways, then it fizzled. They don't look like they are going to get back to playing team ball.

So, in conclusion, we're going to have a bunch of guys with career highs in homers and nothing to show for it.

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2006, 09:52 PM
This is sad,sad,sad.:(: :(: :(:

cheezheadsoxfan
I agree with you. You said it more eloquently than I did. There are a lot of first innings nowadays where we have two outs and nobody on.

It seems to be the norm, actually.:(:

lakeviewsoxfan

YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

NoShoesJoe
:rolleyes:
Yep, that is me. I'm a bandwagoner. If YOU are actually watching these games, and watching this team give nothing night after night, then you would understand what the Sox are doing right now. They are facing horrible pitching almost every game, and they are doing NOTHING. If you face a pitcher who's ERA is close to 8, you better damn well get at very least 4 off of him. Our offense is making these jokers look like Cy Young. I understand pressing to a certain extent, but this is bull.
It gets to a certain point where the team has its back against the wall, and HAS to step up. The Sox are there, and they are giving the worst efforts we have seen from them in years. Our offense is horrible right now. Everyone but Sweeney should be ashamed of themselves for this performance. Even is the pitching is coming around, it wont matter at this rate. Our offense is making pitchers with ERAs over 6 look like aces. Unless we get a shutout every night, we aren't going to win much. But at least you are encouraged.
Don't question my fanhood again. You can sit there covering your eyes all you want, but don't call out people who are watching what is happening on the field.

Well put! Damn, you are right on!

BA: The Hitman
09-05-2006, 09:53 PM
since when has juan uribe become so useless??? cintron looked terrible in his only AB tonight, but id much rather see him at shortstop right now.

A. Cavatica
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I think the telling stat is that this team is

5 games under .500 since the ASB

Why is everyone panicking? We're automatically in the playoffs as the First Half Winner.

jenn2080
I am marking this date on the calender right now. As of sept 5 2006 i am giving up on the 2006 season. call me what you will but i will not put myself through this torture anymore this season. I sense that Kenny will take notice that this brand of baseball will not work and re-assemble this team in the image of last years team and also begin the development of the young talents we have waiting in the wings (Haeger, Sweeney, Broadway, McCarthy, and Fields). All i can hope for this year is what someone else stated and that is for Big Frank and his A's to win it all. And on that note i need to watch my WS DVDs.

hope ya dont end up showing up at the end of the season if/when we make the playoffs. youll eat your words

EMachine10
2 hits for sweeney...maybe a look into the future

southside rocks
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
They're breaking my heart ...

This team/season is a real puzzle. Are they, despite what they say, just not as hungry this year? It would be kind of understandable if that is the case, I suppose.

I do not for the life of me understand why this team has never yet come together and played the baseball it is capable of playing.

It's not so much the losing games that's tough to watch as it is the complete absence of any visible spark on the team. Well, except for Sweeney tonight. He looked good! Put him in LF and I won't miss Pods if he isn't back in 2007. :tongue:

TheOldRoman
Got to tip your hat to the Red Sox staff the past two nights. Let's hope the Sox can salvage the last game of the series then put on a big finish.....
I completely disagree. Once again, we faced garbage the last two nights. We overswung, chased bad pitches, and didn't work the count. We made bad pitching look good. This last month has been like the movie Groundhog Day. One horrible offensive performance after another.

JB98

I would rather die than see the FOBB win. I'm glad you're giving up. Good. Get the hell out of here.

2 hits for sweeney...maybe a look into the future

Thats the only thing close to a positive that i saw tonight.....well besides javy pitching a great game and getting no run support.

QCIASOXFAN
since when has juan uribe become so useless??? cintron looked terrible in his only AB tonight, but id much rather see him at shortstop right now.Since like May 15 I believe.

gbergman
09-05-2006, 09:56 PM
**** this is three straight gems by javier vasquez that we have ****ed up. First two were the bullpen, third are pathetic offense.

1-4 is a great ****ing way to start this month. Seems like that run in april is going to be are only hot streak of this season.

By the way I love how we made another rookie look like a God damn cy young winner.

ChiSoxIn06
hope ya dont end up showing up at the end of the season if/when we make the playoffs. youll eat your words

I hope you are right but i wouldnt bet on it.

spiffie
Then, they figured it out again, and we have lots of DVD footage backing that up. There were many great rallies that were put together with small(er) ball. Look at the Astros/Sox game III footage for a great example of a team oriented 5 run rally. Short swings. Not long "I can hit it 440 feet" swings.
You mean other than AJP's hit where he went 400+ ft to straight center? The one that gave us the lead and scored 2 of the runs? Or the home run by Joe Crede that started off that inning? Because yeah, other than the hits that scored 3 of the 5 runs that inning it was all short swings.

jenn2080
Thats the only thing close to a positive that i saw tonight.....well besides javy pitching a great game and getting no run support.

pablo had hits too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I hope you are right but i wouldnt bet on it.

maybe ya should probably not be on sox boards then since you are giving up

NoShoesJoe
Again that stat keeps me thinking....
23-30 in the last 53!

This team is in its death throes and writhing about.

Can they be saved? Perhaps, but 23-30 doesn't really show they will. They've known over the last two months what the situation was and is.
This winter is going to suck! At least we can watch what KW does.

I'm sure that everyone on this site would love to give up on this team right now........I really hope they make it now just because of people like you.....you make me sick.....they could win 4 or 5 in a row and youd have a completely different opinion of this season.

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sure that everyone on this site would love to give up on this team right now........I really hope they make it now just because of people like you.....you make me sick.....they could win 4 or 5 in a row and youd have a completely different opinion of this season.

Easy there. He knows this. Remember this is like a bar, a bunch of people sitting around talking **** and being frustrated beyond ****ing belief at what has been presented before us.

MrX
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Just got home from class and tuned into the radio in the truck just in time to hear gidPK with #2 in the 7th.

This was my first time listening to Farmer and Singleton since April. Singleton is much better, but I don't know how anyone can listen to Farmer for more than an inning. I only listened to him in the 8 & 9th and by the time the 9th was over I was ready to swerve into the other lane and end it all. He is horrible.

samram
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
You're picking one game. He's talking about the offense generally.

I'll take Thome in the lineup over Pods. This isn't Thome's fault. In fact, if Scott could bother to be on base more than once a week, I'll bet this offense would be a lot better.

Chips

TDG or Unregistered: Get on this one.

NoShoesJoe
Just got home from class and tuned into the radio in the truck just in time to hear gidPK with #2 in the 7th.

This was my first time listening to Farmer and Singleton since April. Singleton is much better, but I don't know how anyone can listen to Farmer for more than an inning. I only listened to him in the 8 & 9th and by the time the 9th was over I was ready to swerve into the other lane and end it all. He is horrible.

It's a good thing you didn't put it on in the 3rd or 4th. We'd be eulogizing you right about now, much like this team.

DickAllen72
09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I completely disagree. Once again, we faced garbage the last two nights. We overswung, chased bad pitches, and didn't work the count. We made bad pitching look good. This last month has been like the movie Groundhog Day. One horrible offensive performance after another.

Despite their offensive struggles, I thought the Sox played well these last two games. The starting pitching was great and the defense played well also. If that continues, and the Sox do squeak into the playoffs, that sets them up for success in the post season. For the first time, the pitching and defense has shown up.

The games that really pissed me off were the last game against Tampa Bay and that last game against the Royals. If the Sox do fall short this year, it will be those games and a few others like them in which they just played stupid baseball that will have been the cause.

TheOldRoman
I am not giving up on the season, but I think this team is done. I will still hope beyond hope that they can someone get out of this and play at even 75% of their potential. I will still watch every game and live and die with this team, I just know what the result will be. The fat lady is backstage warming up.

If anyone else feels the need to call me out for anything I posted earlier in the thread, please IM me and don't post it here. I am out for the night, and probably won't check back on this thread. Good night, all.

Easy there. He knows this. Remember this is like a bar, a bunch of people sitting around talking **** and being frustrated beyond ****ing belief at what has been presented before us.

You're right, nothing personal towards ya, chisoxin06............the white sox are just really grinding my gears right now.

VenturaFan23
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/shingotime10/kirk.jpg
"It's gonna be hard to be peppy tonight!"

LOL, thanks for cheering me up with Mr. Van Hauten!

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I completely disagree. Once again, we faced garbage the last two nights. We overswung, chased bad pitches, and didn't work the count. We made bad pitching look good. This last month has been like the movie Groundhog Day. One horrible offensive performance after another.I am getting sick of hearing this also, "tip your hat to the pitcher". When will this end! We faced mediocre pitchers, journeymen pitchers, journeymen relivers, rookies, rookies who are making thier debut and we lose to all of them! We are supposed to be hitting the **** out of these guys. Who was the last above average pitcher we have faced in the last week or two, Mark Redmen?? Gimme a break, some of the other posters can tip your cap to these below mediocre pitchers, but i'm done doing. I can't wait to face Sabathia, Rogers and Santana in the next couple of weeks!

southside rocks
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh, same here -- I just can't listen to Farmer these days. He'd have me drinking bleach by the end of the game.

And I have never been able to stomach the Hawk, so I watch these games on TV with the sound off. It makes it more funereal but less depressing, oddly enough.

infohawk
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM

I was so happy to see last year's offense that got far, far away from this station to station crap. It's back, and this season is on a knife edge right now. I agree that the Sox were more mobile last year, but it is a persistent myth that they won playing "smallball." Their offense was largely reliant on three-run homers. The pitching and defense is what won a championship. The team didn't score that many runs last year, but they didn't need to. The pitching has been our doom this year. If our pitching last year was like this year, we wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs much less World Series Champions.

That said, the Sox would do themselves a tremendous favor offensively if Pods is replaced. His value is his speed and he hasn't been very good at utilizing it since before the 2005 All-Star break when he pulled the groin. He was serviceable after that, but he's never been as good as he was during the first half of the 2005 season. His defense isn't even that good. Uribe struggles offensively, but his defense is usually a big asset to the team. Without his speed, Pods is hardly any better than a decent minor league call-up.

whitesoxfan
09-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Time for me to rant...

I don't ****ing care if you're ****ing giving up. If you're giving up, go cry about it somewhere else you quitters. There are 24 ****ing games left in the ****ing season. It's not like this is the last weekend of the year. We have three games left with the Twins and three with the Tigers. Yeah our offense has sucked ass lately, but I think it's a product of these guys trying too hard to break out of the slump. I have all of the confidence in the world that Ozzie will tell these guys to just loosen up and have some fun out there. It's time for us to make a run. Let's start it off right tomorrow and hopefully we can come back home salvaging one of these wins.

roylestillman
09-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Was thinking the same thing, If I remember, it was that same September series in Boston where I came to the realization that we weren't going anywhere. Just sat back and waited for the longball.... This is depressing.

JB98
I agree that people were talking about the "swinging for the fences" crap last year, and it was true for a bit. However, that was a team that had been playing under a certain focus all year long, and that focus wasn't mashing.

This team doesn't have that mentality. Never has had it. They got going well with their homer hitting ways, then it fizzled. They don't look like they are going to get back to playing team ball.

So, in conclusion, we're going to have a bunch of guys with career highs in homers and nothing to show for it.

I don't know. I've seen this team put together some pretty good rallies this year too. Almost all of them, however, were in the first half of the season.

Our offensive production is down by almost a run per game since the All-Star break. Pods has been woeful the last two months. Coincidence? You be the judge.

The one game we won on this road trip featured Ozuna getting two hits and scoring two runs. We had three successful sacrifice bunts and a sacrifice fly in that game. To play that type of baseball, we need our 1-2 hitters on base. It's that simple. Can you blame our power hitters for wanting to hit home runs when no one is on base? Well, maybe you can, but I won't.

Tonight, Pablo got on in the fourth inning. We bunted him over. We should have scored, but Crede and Konerko ****ed it up by failing to use the middle of the field with a runner on third and less than two outs. Tonight, the guys in the middle of the lineup are wearing the biggest goat horns, but I don't see them as the biggest problem in the big picture.

ChiSoxIn06
You're right, nothing personal towards ya, chisoxin06............the white sox are just really grinding my gears right now.

You are not alone man. All Sox fans are stressed beyond repair right now...thats why I am stepping aside. I can't deal with the stress this team dishes out right now. But like I said, i hope you guys are right and this team does turn it around and get in the playoffs because i feel if they do get in they will do very well. i just dont see the drive in this team that they has last year. If this team has half the desire their fans did this would be so much easier to deal with because i wouldnt be so stressed knowing this team was playing with the intensity that i know they are capable of.

zmz723
09-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I may get yelled at by this, but this is the beginning of the end for us. Our inability to hit these horse**** pitchers some of these teams throw at us is unbelievable. this team is an exact copy of the 01-04 teams, all hitting and no pitching, but when the pitching is on, we get no offense.

I just want this horribly disappointing season to be over, KW to make some moves in the offseason, and we be underdogs next year again.

DickAllen72
09-05-2006, 10:09 PM
pablo had hits too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

http://nickjr.co.uk/shows/backyardigans/media/bigPablo.jpg

My favorite Backyardigan! :D:

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Times like this you just gotta give up. Like Bobby Rayburn in the fan: "I just stopped caring."

Or you can punch holes in the wall and give yourself an ulcer.

soxinem1
Wow shut out:(: Javy did a good job but still gets the loss how sad.

Don't feel too sad. Remember some of the games he pitched like **** and came away a winner.

spiffie
Time for me to rant...

I don't ****ing care if you're ****ing giving up. If you're giving up, go cry about it somewhere else you quitters. There are 24 ****ing games left in the ****ing season. It's not like this is the last weekend of the year. We have three games left with the Twins and three with the Tigers. Yeah our offense has sucked ass lately, but I think it's a product of these guys trying too hard to break out of the slump. I have all of the confidence in the world that Ozzie will tell these guys to just loosen up and have some fun out there. It's time for us to make a run. Let's start it off right tomorrow and hopefully we can come back home salvaging one of these wins.

:thumbsup:

Amen brother.

cheezheadsoxfan
Despite their offensive struggles, I thought the Sox played well these last two games. The starting pitching was great and the defense played well also. If that continues, and the Sox do squeak into the playoffs, that sets them up for success in the post season. For the first time, the pitching and defense has shown up.

The games that really pissed me off were the last game against Tampa Bay and that last game against the Royals. If the Sox do fall short this year, it will be those games and a few others like them in which they just played stupid baseball that will have been the cause.

I agree that tonight I feel more like we've been beaten than we just pissed it away (i.e. Tampa, KC). I'm trying to see a positive in that IF the pitching is truly coming around and the defense mends their sloppy ways, then the offense should snap out of it. Offensive slumps seem to turn around quicker than pitching.

Harry Potter
09-05-2006, 10:11 PM
http://xd7.xanga.com/acf8022a77c4846128501/b31119507.jpg

cheezheadsoxfan
09-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Time for me to rant...

I'm with ya!

billyvsox
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM

Jurr,

You are absolutely correct 100%. I love Jim Thome too as a person and ballplayer, but it totally changed the makeup of this team. Aaron Rowan dwas the heart and desire of last years team and he has taken that to Philly with him. Meanwhile we have reverted right back to the 2002-2004 type of team right down to chasing and losing to the stinkin Twin's. Last year we played like the Twins, only better.

zmz723
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I also think its time for pablo to be the main LFer and leadoff man.

FarWestChicago
09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
You are not alone man. All Sox fans are stressed beyond repair right now...thats why I am stepping aside. I can't deal with the stress this team dishes out right now.First, not all Sox fans are stressed beyond repair. But, I applaud you having the self awareness to recognize you don't have what it takes to be a baseball fan. Lord knows there a plenty of others around here who could learn from your example. However, if you're going to go, go already ferrchrissakes. You're dragging this out longer than the ending of the live version of Freebird. :o:

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Jurr,

You are absolutely correct 100%. I love Jim Thome too as a person and ballplayer, but it totally changed the makeup of this team. Aaron Rowan dwas the heart and desire of last years team and he has taken that to Philly with him. Meanwhile we have reverted right back to the 2002-2004 type of team right down to chasing and losing to the stinkin Twin's. Last year we played like the Twins, only better.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Fake Chet Lemon
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Just watch this team every time we play an extra inning game. That's all you need to watch.

Every single player swings for the fences on every single swing. :(:

Vernam
09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
pathetic was the offense. good was javy. un****ing believeable. god damn paulie and his double playsThat pitch Konerko swung at to start the first DP with bases loaded and one out was unforgivable. He HAS to make the pitcher throw him something waist high there. Kind of sad for our veteran hitters that only Sweeney showed any stones tonight.

I always try to throw something positive out there, no matter how bleak things look . . . If Lopez and Buehrle keep pitching well, we can still win this. It's just a shame we gave up on small ball somewhere around March 10.

Vernam

cheezheadsoxfan
However, if you're going to go, go already ferrchrissakes. You're dragging this out longer than the ending of the live version of Freebird. :o:

*laff*

NoShoesJoe
At least DET is losing to SEA 4-3 in the 7th.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
BBTN just said they are going to come back from commercial and tell us which White Sox hitter they would want at the plate "with the game on the line." This should be interesting. I guess they're announcing their "clutch" picks for each team and as luck would have it tonight is the Sox and Twins.

TaylorStSox
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM

It's not Thome's fault that Pods has lost a couple steps. It's not Thome's fault that Iguchi's become a ****ty situational hitter. It's not Thome's fault PK's morphed back into GIDPK.

There are 2 reasons that the Sox don't manufacture runs anymore...
1) The pitching sucks. When your pitcher's suck, the hitter change their approach. They know that the majority of the time a few runs aren't going to get it done this year.

2) We have absolutely no team speed.

Both of these factors make the hitter press much more than they need to. It's not Thome. It's a combination of everyone.

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
That pitch Konerko swung at to start the first DP with bases loaded and one out was unforgivable. He HAS to make the pitcher throw him something waist high there. Kind of sad for our veteran hitters that only Sweeney showed any stones tonight.

I always try to throw something positive out there, no matter how bleak things look . . . If Lopez and Buehrle keep pitching well, we can still win this. It's just a shame we gave up on small ball somewhere around March 10.

Vernam

who is lopez?

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 10:23 PM
BBTN just said they are going to come back from commercial and tell us which White Sox hitter they would want at the plate "with the game on the line." This should be interesting. I guess they're announcing their "clutch" picks for each time and and luck would have it tonight is the Sox and Twins.

I'd be shocked if they actually picked Crede, which is exactly who anyone who actually watches Sox games would.

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm here in Boston in my hotel watching the post-game. The big news is Papelbon's injury - essentially a slightly dislocated shoulder.

They refer to him as a HOF pitcher?! ***?

Being here heightens the pain of this loss. Damn.

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd be shocked if they actually picked Crede, which is exactly who anyone who actually watches Sox games would.

JD...no question.

billyvsox
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM

Correct, and Minnesota WILL beat Detroit and Oakland, because that is what good teams do.

spiffie
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Correct, and Minnesota WILL beat Detroit and Oakland, because that is what good teams do.
Just like they swept the Royals? I mean, just like they lost 2 out of 3 to the Royals?

JB98
It's not Thome's fault that Pods has lost a couple steps. It's not Thome's fault that Iguchi's become a ****ty situational hitter. It's not Thome's fault PK's morphed back into GIDPK.

There are 2 reasons that the Sox don't manufacture runs anymore...
1) The pitching sucks. When your pitcher's suck, the hitter change their approach. They know that the majority of the time a few runs aren't going to get it done this year.

2) We have absolutely no team speed.

Both of these factors make the hitter press much more than they need to. It's not Thome. It's a combination of everyone.

Actually, when you think about it, Jim is partially to blame for PK's increase in DPs this year. Last year, Konerko had Hot Carl hitting in front of him. Everett refused to take a walk, and hit like crap for most of the second half. No one on first base for PK means no double plays. This year, Thome is hitting in front of Paulie, and Jim is on first base with great frequency. Hence, more of Konerko's grounders result in DPs. Damn you Thome for getting on base all the time!!!!!

wassagstdu
Sweeney gets half of the Sox total hits. Ozuna and Sweeney between them have all but one of the Sox total bases. Here is my suggestion. Bench the entire starting team -- except Anderson -- and start a complete lineup of call-ups and bench players. For three games, and then until they lose two in a row.

NoShoesJoe
From the Red Sox post-game show:

Jose Contreras' record at Fenway

1-3 Record

13.50 ERA
5 HR in 18 IP

:(: :(:

Hope he pulls it out tomorrow.

Corlose 15
JD...no question.

Good choice but its definitley not a no question choice. Crede has come through countless times in his career in the clutch. Even before this year.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM

What about the World Series MVP and the 2006 American League MVP, Jermaine Dye?

kitekrazy
09-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Just watch this team every time we play an extra inning game. That's all you need to watch.

Every single player swings for the fences on every single swing. :(:

So does the opposing team but they have better luck connecting on theirs.

Vernam
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
who is lopez?Oops, you know, Vazquez. Every time I hear "Javy," Lopez is what I think, for some reason.

In other news, guess that's the last time I'll be quoting one of your posts. :redneck

Vernam

billyvsox

No one is blaming Thome, but the mindset changed and so did the manager's.
It's Ozzie's fault we are not playing smart. He needs to communicate it and make it happen. Do you think Gardenhire would let his players just swing wildly for the fences and try to pull everything???

JB98
Sweeney gets half of the Sox total hits. Ozuna and Sweeney between them have all but one of the Sox total bases. Here is my suggestion. Bench the entire starting team -- except Anderson -- and start a complete lineup of call-ups and bench players. For three games, and then until they lose two in a row.

Yeah, that will work. And Anderson's been tearing the cover off the ball on this road trip.

Corlose 15
What about the World Series MVP and the 2006 American League MVP, Jermaine Dye?

What about the player who should have won the ALCS MVP? Getting the winning RBI's in both games 2 and 5?

I'm not knocking JD, but they don't call Crede Cpt. Clutch for nothing.

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice outing by Javy. The starter's performances the previous 2 nights are very encouraging for the big weeks ahead. Nice couple of knocks by Sweeney as well.

BeviBall!
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/614/threadsuckky9.jpg

sox1970
Time for me to rant...

Win 3 games in a row and then talk to me. We suck. Get over it.

DickAllen72
09-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Actually, when you think about it, Jim is partially to blame for PK's increase in DPs this year. Last year, Konerko had Hot Carl hitting in front of him. Everett refused to take a walk, and hit like crap for most of the second half. No one on first base for PK means no double plays.

Don't knock Carl. Carl carried the offense in the first half, always killed the Twins, and came on strong in the last couple of weeks with some huge clutch hits (including a couple of triples) that propelled the Sox into the playoffs. He also did pretty well in the post-season.

No Carl, no 2005 White Sox World Series.

The 2006 Sox sure could use some of Carl's fire and intensity.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:31 PM
No one is blaming Thome, but the mindset changed and so did the manager's.
It's Ozzie's fault we are not playing smart. He needs to communicate it and make it happen. Do you think Gardenhire would let his players just swing wildly for the fences and try to pull everything???

Gardenhire's players got shut out by Mark Redman. The Twins offense is better than ours how?

DickAllen72
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice outing by Javy. The starter's performances the previous 2 nights are very encouraging for the big weeks ahead. Nice couple of knocks by Sweeney as well.

Agreed. Let's hope they can keep it up! :gulp:

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM

That theory would make a lot more sense if the sox weren't leading the league in batting average.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't knock Carl. Carl carried the offense in the first half, always killed the Twins, and came on strong in the last couple of weeks with some huge clutch hits (including a couple of triples) that propelled the Sox into the playoffs. He also did pretty well in the post-season.

Too bad Carl can't hit anymore. If he could, I'd say sign him up.

SoxandtheCityTee
JD...no question.

You are correct, sir. They picked Jermaine. Morneau for the Twinks.

BeviBall!

Word is bond.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
What about the player who should have won the ALCS MVP? Getting the winning RBI's in both games 2 and 5?

I'm not knocking JD, but they don't call Crede Cpt. Clutch for nothing.

Crede is a good clutch hitter, but the BEST clutch hitter on the team is Jermaine Dye. If I needed a base hit to save my life, and I had to pick a White Sox player to get it, JD gets the call.

Dye had the first big hit of the World Series (home run off Clemens) and the last big hit of the World Series (RBI single off Lidge). As far as games I've attended personally at the Cell this year, the two most electric moments of the season were JD's ninth-inning homers off Papelbon and Nathan. I also attended the game against the Yankees where Dye delivered the RBI single in the 11th off Proctor. The guy is just money.

ChiSoxGirl
09-05-2006, 10:38 PM
In typical White Sox fashion, they managed to make a rookie pitcher with a 6+ ERA look like Cy Young. Aside from that, this team has 2004 written all over it. In the off-season when they stacked the lineup, I couldn't figure out why they did that, since the team made it clear last season that pitching & defense are a huge part of what took them to the Promised Land. I'm not dissing the Thome trade at all, but we saw what living & dying by the homerun did in 2003 & 2004.

Ya know, I had a bad case of buyer's remorse for months after I spent hundreds of dollars on playoff & World Series tickets, merchandise, and other things commemorating last year, including over $200 having those Cubune posters framed at Michael's in July. Unclegary talked me out of my buyer's remorse when he was visiting last month and saw my framed posters and how great they look. He said, "Ya know, you gotta spend the money to do this stuff because seasons like those don't come along every year." He was right.

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
You are correct, sir. They picked Jermaine. Morneau for the Twinks.

Now thats some mindblowing analysis right there.:rolleyes:

samram
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's another, "Jim's a great player and a great guy, but he's ruining our season" comment. Never mind that Mr. Small-ball hasn't been on base in a month, it's all the fault of the guy who will end up with 45 and 115.

Fake Chet Lemon

Damn straight. And Rowand's (not to mention his Left Field play, just did).

whitesoxfan
09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Win 3 games in a row and then talk to me. We suck. Get over it.

Yeah ok, we suck :rolleyes:

We've been below average since the ASB and have played down to other teams' competition, but we do not suck. If Contreras and Sweaty Freddy can go back to their 05 form (first half of 06 for Jose), we'll be in good shape.

StillMissOzzie
09-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Kason Gabbler? Kason ****ing Gabbler? Are you ****ting me?
I should have known the Sox were doomed, this guy had the Anti-Sox trifecta working for him:
1) A southpaw
2) A rookie
3) Exactly ZERO MLB victories.

Two wasted starting pitching gems in a row. :angry:
C'mon, White Sox, pull your heads out of your ass and score some runs!

SMO
:gulp:

samram
Yeah ok, we suck :rolleyes:

We've been below average since the ASB and have played down to other teams' competition, but we do not suck. If Contreras and Sweaty Freddy can go back to their 05 form (first half of 06 for Jose), we'll be in good shape.

That, as they say, is a big if. Like 16 font or so.

Lip Man 1
Folks:

Actually I'm not even angry anymore. I think it's funny seeing the White Sox hitters make every Tom, Dick & Harry regardless of however young they are, regardless of how bloated their ERA is, look like the second coming of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Tom Seaver rolled into one.

I'm sorry folks, this team could give a royal **** about anything. There's no fire, no desire and it has been an issue since the first week of spring training when Ozzie called a meeting to talk about 'effort.'

They got fat and sassy over the winter.

That's fine. Win three more games (I think they are capable of doing that) and they have a 'winning' season. At least that puts them ahead of other 'can't miss' Sox teams from 1968, 1973, 1984 and 1995 who did and miserably.

By the way since the 'schzoid Sox' won 12 of 17 (through the first Royals home game) they have now lost 14 of 21.

NICE PERFORMANCE GUYS! CLUTCH!!

Lip

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
In typical White Sox fashion, they managed to make a rookie pitcher with a 6+ ERA look like Cy Young. Aside from that, this team has 2004 written all over it. In the off-season when they stacked the lineup, I couldn't figure out why they did that, since the team made it clear last season that pitching & defense are a huge part of what took them to the Promised Land. I'm not dissing the Thome trade at all, but we saw what living & dying by the homerun did in 2003 & 2004.

Ya know, I had a bad case of buyer's remorse for months after I spent hundreds of dollars on playoff & World Series tickets, merchandise, and other things commemorating last year, including over $200 having those Cubune posters framed at Michael's in July. Unclegary talked me out of my buyer's remorse when he was visiting last month and saw my framed posters and how great they look. He said, "Ya know, you gotta spend the money to do this stuff because seasons like those don't come along every year." He was right.

That's a great point. Anyone who "expects" to see seasons like last years is crazy. They could win it all again the next 5 years straight and never quite replicate last year's magic.

billyvsox
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
He is something I would try.

Tommorrows line-up.

C) AJ
1B) Gload
2B) Pablo
SS) Cintron
3B) Crede
OF) Sweeney - Anderson - Dye (if healthy)
DH) Mack

With some exceptions thes are the 9 guys who still seam to playing all out to win. If we win with this line-up we keep using it.

I know this is crazy but look what happened to the Phillies once they traded some of their probems. Same for the Indians, Astros, Padres.

Desperate times means desperate mesures.

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Folks:

Actually I'm not even angry anymore. I think it's funny seeing the White Sox hitters made every Tom, Dick & Harry regardless of however young they are, regardless of how bloated their ERA is, look like the second coming of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Tom Seaver rolled into one.

I'm sorry folks, this team could give a royal **** about anything. There's no fire, no desire and it has been an issue since the first week of spring training when Ozzie called a meeting to talk about 'effort.'

That's fine. Win three more games (I think they are capable of doing that) and they have a 'winning' season. At least that puts them ahead of other 'can't miss' Sox teams from 1968, 1973, 1984 and 1995 who did and miserably.

Lip

Good to see you reading the teams mind via a box score. "Fire" and "Desire" don't score any runs. It's execution, or lack therof.

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Crede is a good clutch hitter, but the BEST clutch hitter on the team is Jermaine Dye. If I needed a base hit to save my life, and I had to pick a White Sox player to get it, JD gets the call.

Dye had the first big hit of the World Series (home run off Clemens) and the last big hit of the World Series (RBI single off Lidge). As far as games I've attended personally at the Cell this year, the two most electric moments of the season were JD's ninth-inning homers off Papelbon and Nathan. I also attended the game against the Yankees where Dye delivered the RBI single in the 11th off Proctor. The guy is just money.

Excellent points. Dye also won a game vs the Yankees in extras. Dye is clutch for sure, my real objection was to the point that it was without question that Dye was the pick.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
He is something I would try.

Tommorrows line-up.

C) AJ
1B) Gload
2B) Pablo
SS) Cintron
3B) Crede
OF) Sweeney - Anderson - Dye (if healthy)
DH) Mack

With some exceptions thes are the 9 guys who still seam to playing all out to win. If we win with this line-up we keep using it.

I know this is crazy but look what happened to the Phillies once they traded some of their probems. Same for the Indians, Astros, Padres.

Desperate times means desperate mesures.

How about this:

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Anderson CF

These are the guys that are supposed to get it done. I'd get in their faces and challenge them: It's your season, fellas. Sink or swim.

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
From Websters (http://www.m-w.com)

masochism

Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary, from Leopold von Sacher-Masoch died 1895 German novelist
1 : a sexual perversion characterized by pleasure in being subjected to pain or humiliation especially by a love object -- compare SADISM (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sadism)
2 : pleasure in being abused or dominated : a taste for suffering
3 : A feeling Chicago White Sox fans have had since the 2006 All Star Break
- mas·och·ist /-kist/ noun
- mas·och·is·tic /"ma-s&-'kis-tik, "ma-z&- also "mA-/ adjective
- mas·och·is·ti·cal·ly /-'kis-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
http://www.m-w.com/images/pixt.gif

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
How about this:

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Anderson CF

These are the guys that are supposed to get it done. I'd get in their faces and challenge them: It's your season, fellas. Sink or swim.

are those suppose to be our starters? because i have not seen them all play at the same time really. yesterday i almost fell off the couch when i saw them all in the line up.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
That's a great point. Anyone who "expects" to see seasons like last years is crazy. They could win it all again the next 5 years straight and never quite replicate last year's magic.

Yes it is a great point. I've heard many players who have been there say how hard it is to repeat. Even when we do win the championship again (I'm an optimist:smile: ) it can never be as great because of the 88 year drought and being the underdog. Once again, I'm grateful as hell to have witnessed last year.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Pat:

I don't need to read their minds. I watch the same games as you do. The team is dead from the neck up and has been for a long time.

I didn't call that meeting the first damn week of spring training did I?

I haven't called out the team at various times this season for lack of execution, mental mistakes and a lackadasical performance have I?

I think a certain manager did.

Thanks for playing.

Keep the faith and have fun with it.

Lip

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Excellent points. Dye also won a game vs the Yankees in extras. Dye is clutch for sure, my real objection was to the point that it was without question that Dye was the pick.

Sure, we could debate it, and we'd both be able to raise valid arguments. I just responded because you said "anyone who watches Sox games" would pick Crede. In fact, quite a few probably would choose Joe, and rightfully so. But I personally would select Jermaine.

zmz723
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
How about this:

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Anderson CF

Those were our starters at the start of the year so it is up to them to get it done.

And if you substitute thome for carl and BA for rowand, thats our world championship lineup.

But I wouldnt be opposed to see pablo in there for pods.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Cheese:

There is some truth in your statement but I can only speak for myself. I didn't expect them to repeat...what I did expect given the talent on this club was a consistent effort and a post season berth.

To me that was a successful season because it would have gone a long way towards re-establishing themselves in the minds of fans in their own city (and I don't mean the die hards.)

They can still accomplish it but I honestly don't see how. Not the way they are playing and not with the teams they have to face remaining on the schedule.

We'll see.

Lip

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Tigers lose ! With the twinkies and tiggers meeting for 4 this weekend, the divison race is wide open to all 3 teams.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
GREAT.

Doesn't mean **** if the Sox keep falling apart does it?

Lip

sox1970
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Tigers lose ! With the twinkies and tiggers meeting for 4 this weekend, the divison race is wide open to all 3 teams.

I just spit water all over my screen.

JB98
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Those were our starters at the start of the year so it is up to them to get it done.

And if you substitute thome for carl and BA for rowand, thats our world championship lineup.

But I wouldnt be opposed to see pablo in there for pods.

I just don't think now is the time for tinkering. A lot of guys are in slumps right now. For some people here, the solution to that is bench them. I disagree with that. Let them hit their way out of it. Neither Uribe nor Anderson appear capable of making contact right now, but I'd still run them out there for defense. We have a strong corps of bench players, but I'm not willing to lean on them right now.

Patrick134
09-05-2006, 10:56 PM
GREAT.

Doesn't mean **** if the Sox keep falling apart does it?

Lip

Anyone who wants to give up, feel free. My guess, it'll be the same folks who gave up last September, only to come running back. If you want to give up now, please stay gone.

ChiSoxGirl

My uncle is quite wise. Like many, he waited 43 years for last season and I remember one of the things he said to me when I called him in SoCal from Halsted St. right after 11p the night the Sox won, "Enjoy this and party hard because we've waited so long for this and you just don't know when and if it'll ever happen again in our lifetime."

FarWestChicago
They can still accomplish it but I honestly don't see how.Of course not, Lip. You are an astonishingly negative person with the ultimate Can't Do attitude. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Folks:

Lip

For you "older" guys here, doesn't this team remind you of the 1986 Bears? The coach and players got so much love in 1985, they didn't collapse in subsequent years, but they never approached their potential again either. Those Bears teams got fat and sassy.

Ozzie, no more car commercials and Cooper no more electronic store commercials. When I saw that first Ozzie car commercial, I joked and said to my wife "Uh, oh. The beginning of the end, he is doing a Ditka." I really was joking, but we've played sub .500 since they started appearing.

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 10:59 PM
For you "older" guys here, doesn't this team remind you of the 1986 Bears? The coach and players got so much love in 1985, they didn't collapse in subsequent years, but they never approached their potential again either. Those Bears teams got fat and sassy.

Ozzie, no more car commercials and Cooper no more electronic store commercials. When I saw that first Ozzie car commercial, I joked and said to my wife "Uh, oh. The beginning of the end, he is doing a Ditka." I really was joking, but we've played sub .500 since they started appearing.

i just saw thome in a car commerical. ***

Fake Chet Lemon
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM

Thank you, I needed some solid reasoning. We can beat those Indians this weekend! Good post.

sox1970
09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Of course not, Lip. You are an astonishingly negative person with the ultimate Can't Do attitude. :D:

I don't see how thinking the Sox won't make the playoffs is necessarily negative thinking. Why can't a fan look at the facts of where this has been going the last few months and determine they aren't a very good team, and have the opinion they won't make the playoffs? It's not negative thinking. It's an opinion based on evidence.

cheezheadsoxfan

As I recall (dimly) wasn't there a lot of clubhouse problems with the Bears in '86? Doug Flutie comes to mind.

Patrick134
Thank you, I needed some solid reasoning. We can beat those Indians this weekend! Good post.

It's easy to be negative after losses. We all hate losses. This team is resilient though. Expect good things in the coming weeks.

sox1970
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM
It's easy to be negative after losses. We all hate losses. This team is resilient though. Expect good things in the coming weeks.

Coming weeks? How about tomorrow? How about this weekend? 21 games left before we enter the Dome. I think they better get at it now.

FarWestChicago
09-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't see how thinking the Sox won't make the playoffs is necessarily negative thinking. Why can't a fan look at the facts of where this has been going the last few months and determine they aren't a very good team, and have the opinion they won't make the playoffs? It's not negative thinking. It's an opinion based on evidence.You obviously aren't aware of Lip's prodigous body of chronic depressive ranting over the years. :rolleyes:

Martinigirl

I might be really, truly irritated with the team right now, but I do appreciate this post. At least someone is still positive. And you have a valid point about that series, but for this moment I am still pissed.

But later, I will think of this post, and I am sure it will give me some sense of optimism, even if it only lasts for a second .

(And if this post sound frighteningly bi-polar, that is how this team makes me feel)

samram

What makes you think they're resilient? The way they bounced back from last night's heartbreaker by getting shutout by a complete scrub?

NoShoesJoe
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM

In today's world of instant gratification, I think we want to see signs of it, not just empty prophecies. We've been hearing for months, "just wait, wait and see, it'll come around." Well, it hasn't and it may not.

I'm on the fence, a great fan, but I also have been burned before.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
As I recall (dimly) wasn't there a lot of clubhouse problems with the Bears in '86? Doug Flutie comes to mind.

The clubhouse problems stemmed from a lack of leadership, with the QB being injured and all. The natural leader. Ditka thought he could be the clubhouse leader from the sidelines and he didn't need leaders in the clubhouse. He despised them in fact. Of course impossible, leaders have to wear a jockstrap and be on the field. Again, all sounds familiar.......