PDA

View Full Version : New Leadoff Hitter Next Season

nodiggity59
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
What FAs are realistically available to replace Pods next season? They'd have to be a LF, CF, or SS. I'd be willing to shed Uribe for a better leadoff hitter, and an acquired CF could shift to LF as Pods did.

MDF3530
09-05-2006, 05:15 PM
This offseason is going to be a bear market. I think that Pods' replacement both in the leadoff and in LF is going to be from their farm system, like Jerry Owens.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Let's talk about who is going to play leftfield regularly THIS season and make an impact THIS season. 2006 is still salvageable.

PorkChopExpress
09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I could see us getting someone like Chone Figgnins. I wouldn't mind that. The Cards will probably be doing some trading in the offseason, and we could make use of Eckstein. I'm sure there's more, but I have to think on it.

Dan Mega
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Carl Crawford :praying:

The Dude
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Well for this season it seems to be a platoon of Pods/Ozuna/Sweeney and maybe Mac. Next season, hopefully Ozuna will be bench only and Pods will no longer be on the team. I'd love to upgrade the position via FA with a Soriano, but that seems unlikely. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sweeney to see what he's got.

The Dude
09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Another one I'd love but unlikely.:whiner:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Gary Mathews Jr. Ozzie seems to love him.

PorkChopExpress
09-05-2006, 05:28 PM

I wish. But is this guy a lead-off hitter? He seems to be more of a 2 or 3-hole guy. I understand he could be a lead-off hitter and a good one, but he is probably a better 2 or 3-hole guy. I wouldn't mind seeing him behind Eckstein/Figgins in the order.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Figgins won't come cheap.

And Eckstein isn't a clear upgrade.

spiffie
09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Chone Figgins? Excuse me while I:puking: .

Seriously though, getting the one guy with an even lower OBP than Pods for a leadoff hitter is not an improvement. I tend to agree with the dream of The Dude, and would kill to have Soriano leading off.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Chone Figgins? Excuse me while I:puking: .

Seriously though, getting the one guy with an even lower OBP than Pods for a leadoff hitter is not an improvement. I tend to agree with the dream of The Dude, and would kill to have Soriano leading off.

To me, it's a nightmare. It just takes us further away from what actually WORKED to make this a successful team. If we're trying to recreate the ineptitude of helplessly watching the Twins year after year with more talented teams, then by all means, go for it. We got rid of precisely this type of player when we dealt C-Lee and Magglio and replaced them with a group of smaller-salaried players with chips on their shoulders.

DumpJerry
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
It's too early to start this talk.
November 1st is when we start off-season speculation.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Tampa's probably gonna lock him up for a while. All they need is more pitching, and they should be set to at least be a decent squad.

I'd say they should let this month (and *HOPEFULLY* October) to determine Podsednik's fate.

The Immigrant
09-05-2006, 06:58 PM

This is a possibility. He will be a free agent, IIRC.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2006, 06:59 PM

He also seems to be pretty decent out on the field.

The Dude
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
This is a possibility. He will be a free agent, IIRC.

And he would be an improvement over what we have.

spiffie
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
To me, it's a nightmare. It just takes us further away from what actually WORKED to make this a successful team. If we're trying to recreate the ineptitude of helplessly watching the Twins year after year with more talented teams, then by all means, go for it. We got rid of precisely this type of player when we dealt C-Lee and Magglio and replaced them with a group of smaller-salaried players with chips on their shoulders.
Chips on shoulders and small salaries didn't do a damn thing. This team won in 2005 because it pitched better than anyone else and clubbed 200 home runs. We got rid of Carlos Lee because the money he took up was able to be used for better pitching and better overall hitting. The reason the Twins keep winning has nothing to do with being scrappy, except in that scrappy play is defined as good OBP, a couple very good starters, and a top-flight bullpen. If Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia each pitched the way they did last year, and our bullpen didn't spend 2-3 months sorting itself out and blowing games left and right we'd be talking about how putting together this amazing team was leading us to a repeat. But they didn't, so we look for answers, and cling to ideas like "i want a team of less-talented players because they want it more." But yet, when we lose games to the Royals, everyone goes nuts because we are supposed to be the "better team".

Tragg
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Swing at everything Figgins and his .342 career OBP (.326 this year) for lead-off? No thank you.

Matthews has a career OBP of .334, which is awful for a leadoff hitter (bad for any hitter). He's having a career year of career years; buying at peak value is rarely a good idea (and he's had really only 1 good season in many tries).

We do need to find one, I agree.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Ichiro people. Ichiro.

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
I say Sweeney takes over for Pods in LF and bats leadoff.

Beautox
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I say Sweeney takes over for Pods in LF and bats leadoff.

I agree, Ryan Sweeney should take over in LF or RF, with Dye Possibly moving to LF, Sweeney is our RFer of the future but he can play all OF posisitons fine and back up anderson in CF, leaving Mackowiak to the corners where he belongs. All we need in our Leadoff hitter to hit and get on base at a decent clip, and be athletic not podsednik fast just athletic someone who can score from first on a gapper(sweeney).

also i would try and trade for Michael Young or Tejada.

hi im skot
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Ichiro people. Ichiro.

Lip

http://apog.nolablogs.org/archives/images/drool.gif

ZombieRob
09-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Ichiro people. Ichiro.

Lip

Ichiro=Yankee or Red Sox

Paulwny
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Ichiro isn't going anywhere. He's the revenue generator for the Mariners.

the gooch
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
jimmy rollins seems to fit well, but I don't know his contract status. He has 6 years of service, so he may be a FA.

Jjav829
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Julio Lugo is going to be a free agent after this year and won't be back with the Dodgers. Of all the realistic options, he would seem to make the most sense as we wouldn't be forced to find a leadoff hitter who can play left. Lugo would allow us to play the best man in left field, be it Sweeney or Fields.

Sargeant79
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
While I also salivate at the thought of the likes of Ichiro or Carl Crawford in left field, it's probably not gonna happen. Ichiro would cost the farm even if the Mariners did decide that they would consider trading him, which they probably won't. Tampa notoriously overvalues their players, so Crawford would also cost a ton, especially since he's signed long-term at a fairly bargain rate.

I think KW will look into making an upgrade via the trade/FA market, but I think the most likely leadoff/LF candidate for 2007 is Ryan Sweeney, providing the next month goes well for him.

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Ryan Sweeney, and I predict that Hawk will turn his name into a wail of man-love as he has with Crede's.

"Ryyyaannnn Swweeeeeeeeeennnneeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!"

We'll be hearing a lot of that, and itll be a good thing. :D:

Tekijawa
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
We got rid of precisely this type of player when we dealt C-Lee and Magglio and replaced them with a group of smaller-salaried players with chips on their shoulders.

That's much better than what the Cubs do. Find a guy with Chips in his Elbow and sign him to a High Salary Long term contract!

DeadMoney
09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Just throwing a name out there (because we'll never get Crawford - you can build a team around Crawford and TB isn't THAT dumb):
Julio Lugo is probably going to be a FA, as I don't expect the Dodgers to pick up his option when their paying Furcal so much. For that to happen though, Uribe would have to be traded (and I expect that we'd have to pick up most of the $$ for his remaining contract) or benched.

Considering we only have a few positions available to fill, I consider SS and LF/CF the openings. Here is ALL of what COULD be available this offseason through FA (some of these guys being FA rely on teams not picking up options - Like Dye - or players declining theirs):

SS:
Juan Castro inf
Royce Clayton ss
Alex Cora ss
Craig Counsell inf
Chris Gomez ss
Alex L. Gonzalez ss
Julio Lugo ss
Ramon E. Martinez ss
Jose Vizcaino inf

All OF:
Moises Alou of
Barry Bonds of
Jeromy Burnitz of
Mike Cameron of
Frank Catalanotto of
Jose Cruz Jr. of
Dave Dellucci of
Mark DeRosa of
Jermaine Dye of
Jim Edmonds of
Carl Everett of
Steve Finley of
Cliff Floyd of
Luis Gonzalez of
Jose Guillen of
Todd Hollandsworth of
Aubrey Huff of/DH
Torii Hunter of
Brian Jordan of
Gabe Kapler of
Ricky Ledee of
Carlos Lee of
Kenny Lofton of
John Mabry inf-of
Eli Marrero c-of
Gary Matthews Jr. of
Trot Nixon of
Jay Payton of
Eduardo Perez of
Juan Pierre of
Dave Roberts of
Tim Salmon of
Gary Sheffield of
Alfonso Soriano of-2b
Shannon Stewart of
Daryle Ward of
Rondell White of
Bernie Williams of
Craig Wilson of
Preston Wilson of

Tekijawa
09-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I see one name on that list that sticks out, Carl Everett seems to be a Kenny Williams type player... maybe he can lead off!

DeadMoney
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I see one name on that list that sticks out, Carl Everett seems to be a Kenny Williams type player... maybe he can lead off!
:cool: That seems right up his alley.

We all know that Kenny has the ability to make a blockbuster trade at any time, and with the pitching that teams have lost due to injuries this year, it's possible (and likely) that he deals a combination of Vazquez or Freddy with other guys to get a leadoff guy.

How about this idea: Maybe the Red Sox will want pitching so badly, and after seeing Vazquez shut them down last night, will be willing to part with Coco Crisp for Vazquez? Oh well, not going to happen, but I do WISH Vazquez was that valuble :tongue:.

Britt Burns
09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Sweeney. I think he is going to be great next year. So what if he isn't a burner...let him get on base for JD, Thome, and Paulie. We can add speed at the bottom of the order.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Paulw:

Ichiro is a free agent after the 2007 season. There have already been two stories in the print edition of The Sporting News talking about his unhappiness in Seattle and the direction of the franchise. He's tired of losing.

If they don't deal him this off season, they certainly will in July because it doesn't look right now like he has any intention of re-signing with them.

Lip

Mickster
09-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't want this to happen but I certainly CAN see this happening.....

Juan Pierre - Ozzie coached him in FLA and loves him, could move to LF.

Jjav829
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Julio Lugo is going to be a free agent after this year and won't be back with the Dodgers. Of all the realistic options, he would seem to make the most sense as we wouldn't be forced to find a leadoff hitter who can play left. Lugo would allow us to play the best man in left field, be it Sweeney or Fields.

Just throwing a name out there (because we'll never get Crawford - you can build a team around Crawford and TB isn't THAT dumb):
Julio Lugo is probably going to be a FA, as I don't expect the Dodgers to pick up his option when their paying Furcal so much. For that to happen though, Uribe would have to be traded (and I expect that we'd have to pick up most of the $$ for his remaining contract) or benched.

Is there an echo in here? :tongue:

BigPapaPump
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't want this to happen but I certainly CAN see this happening.....

Juan Pierre - Ozzie coached him in FLA and loves him, could move to LF.

I wouldn't mind him leading off. Can't blame a guy for failing on the North Side when everyone else on the team does the same.(Maybe its something in the water.) Besides it would be even better if he gave us a Patterson 2006 type season just to rub it in their faces.:tongue:

CashMan
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Quote me on this: Anderson will be batting leadoff next year, and Sweeney will eventually be the #2 hitter for the Sox. Sweeney might hit #9 next year, but he will be the #2 hitter.

DeadMoney
09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Is there an echo in here? :tongue:

Guess so! Didn't even see yours. I read the first page, and knew what I wanted to say.:cool:

nodiggity59
09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
dave roberts looks okay to me.

IlliniSox4Life
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Alfonso Soriano of-2b

His OBP isn't ideal for a leadoff hitter, but I'll take him.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Omar Vizquel. Even at his age he still puts up an impressive OBP, can steal, and plays solid SS defense.

Norberto7
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Of the names on the above list, here is one face I wouldn't mind seeing patrolling left field (the position he is playing this year):

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5907.jpg

If you don't know that face, then you're just not a Frank Catalanotto fan. If only he had speed...

Ventura Fan 23
09-10-2006, 01:18 PM
I say Dave Roberts if the price is right. If not, I think that it should definitely be Sweeney.

Kub_Killer_15
09-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Corey Patterson:redneck

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2006, 05:22 PM
:KW

"Watch for me at the winter meetings.Enough said."

KyWhiSoxFan
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Quote me on this: Anderson will be batting leadoff next year, and Sweeney will eventually be the #2 hitter for the Sox. Sweeney might hit #9 next year, but he will be the #2 hitter.

A center fielder may be leading off, but it won't be Anderson. Maybe Gary Matthews Jr.

Domeshot17
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I think its going to be pierre. I would love it to be a short stop because Im not a Uribe Fan, but Pierre makes too much sense. Good glove good range weak arm, would step in for pods, he is an ozzie style player, cub or not hes a GOOD player (leads the NL in hits or is right at the top) he can bunt, steal a base.

If we land him I would like to see Cintron start at ss. Pierre 1 Cintron 2 and Tadahito hitting near 7 or 8.

as for Ichiro, Just not sure if we have the firepower to get him. Doubt they want freddy back, we would be looking at sweeney brandon rogowski and maybe even another b spec

gn2727
09-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I'd love to get Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins. He'd be a great replacement @ SS for Uribe and he can leadoff. However, the Marlins prolly wouldnt part with him for anything. Dont get me wrong, I like Uribe but we could use an upgrade. Then Carl Crawford from the D-Rays to bat 2nd and play CF.

Ramirez - SS
Crawford - CF
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Crede - 3B
Igughi - 2B
Pierzynski - C
Anderson - LF

That would also give you 3 left handed bats in the lineup. A good defensive infield and a great defensive outfield. A nice blend of power and speed too. It also allows you to move Iguchi down to the lower 3rd of the lineup and hopefully turn it over a few more times to the top of the order.....

Sox-o-matic
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
:cool: That seems right up his alley.

We all know that Kenny has the ability to make a blockbuster trade at any time, and with the pitching that teams have lost due to injuries this year, it's possible (and likely) that he deals a combination of Vazquez or Freddy with other guys to get a leadoff guy.

How about this idea: Maybe the Red Sox will want pitching so badly, and after seeing Vazquez shut them down last night, will be willing to part with Coco Crisp for Vazquez? Oh well, not going to happen, but I do WISH Vazquez was that valuble :tongue:.

B+ level outfielders (especially those of the lead off variety) are NEVER worth B+ level starting pitching. The fact that we had to give up an A level prospect in Chris Young AND two major league pitchers proves that.

Now if they want to throw in Papelbon and a minor leaguer, that could work. But, they'd never do that.