PDA

View Full Version : KW interview on 670 Sunday morning

Frankly Missing
09-05-2006, 05:01 PM
On 670 Sunday morning KW was asked why Ozzie would keep starting Mack in center and not give Brandon a start, considering the current starters struggles.

KW said he asked Ozzie these very same questions and that Ozzie provided "reasons". He stated he had to respect Ozzie as the final decision maker.

He then went on to say that as far as Brandon was concerned, Ozzie and staff thought it was important to build up Brandons "core" this year. The reasons for this were 1) Brandons weight 2) in the minors, pitchers throw 150-170 innings vs 200 in the majors.

It made some sense until you started breaking it down.

Brandon has pitched 72 innings in relief this year. How is this strengthening his "core" to take over a starting position next year?

Did anyone else hear this radio interview?

sox1970
09-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I heard the interview too. It was disturbing, in my opinion. I can understand that Ozzie is the manager and he fills out the lineup card. But if Kenny acquired Mackowiak for a certain role, that should be reflected in the lineup as well. Mackowiak is a quasi-3rd baseman and a corner outfielder. Period. I'd say the pitchers are the main reason for the second half failure, but putting Mackowiak in center and Ozuna in left doesn't help matters. I hope this offseason they get a legitimate backup outfielder that knows he's there to start every two weeks and pinch hit and pinch run.

Iwritecode
09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
On 670 Sunday morning KW was asked why Ozzie would keep starting Mack in center and not give Brandon a start, considering the current starters struggles.

KW said he asked Ozzie these very same questions and that Ozzie provided "reasons". He stated he had to respect Ozzie as the final decision maker.

He then went on to say that as far as Brandon was concerned, Ozzie and staff thought it was important to build up Brandons "core" this year. The reasons for this were 1) Brandons weight 2) in the minors, pitchers throw 150-170 innings vs 200 in the majors.

It made some sense until you started breaking it down.

Brandon has pitched 72 innings in relief this year. How is this strengthening his "core" to take over a starting position next year?

Did anyone else hear this radio interview?

Mack is the backup CF because nobody else can take the role. Ozuna has enough trouble in left.

I keep hearing that McCarthy won't be put into the rotation this year because he hasn't been stretched out enough yet. He'd only be able to go maybe 4-5 innings with a pitch count of 60 or 65 pitches his first few starts.

PorkChopExpress
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I keep hearing that McCarthy won't be put into the rotation this year because he hasn't been stretched out enough yet.

I made a joking comment about this in the game thread yesterday, but I'm not sure how stretched out Taverez was. He started one game prior to yesterday's and went three innings. Prior to that, he was a relief guy. I think too much is made of this "stretched out" stuff, and I think what is not being said by KW and others is that McCarthy is probably not going to be any better than the pitcher he replaces.

Edit: And no I did not hear the interview, but it sounds like typical KW-speak.

maurice
09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Mack is the backup CF because nobody else can take the role.

With Sweeney on the team, that excuse is no longer true. Sweeney's not a natural CF, but he's a heckuvalot better than Mackowiak.

daveeym
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I made a joking comment about this in the game thread yesterday, but I'm not sure how stretched out Taverez was. He started one game prior to yesterday's and went three innings. Prior to that, he was a relief guy. I think too much is made of this "stretched out" stuff, and I think what is not being said by KW and others is that McCarthy is probably not going to be any better than the pitcher he replaces.

Edit: And no I did not hear the interview, but it sounds like typical KW-speak. Tavarez also isn't 23 years old and what most would still consider a top "prospect". See the northside team for what not stretching out a guy like McCarthy can lead to and sticking him into a full season of starts.

bluestar
09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Mack is the backup CF because nobody else can take the role. Ozuna has enough trouble in left.
Just because he is the only option for backup in CF, assuming he is, doesn't mean he needs to play there two or three times per week.

I keep hearing that McCarthy won't be put into the rotation this year because he hasn't been stretched out enough yet. He'd only be able to go maybe 4-5 innings with a pitch count of 60 or 65 pitches his first few starts.
I have not heard anyone "official" make the statement that McCarthy won't be used as a starter because he has not been stretched out enough. Ozzie and Coop both continue to insist that they have faith that the current starters can get the job done.

kitekrazy
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Tavarez also isn't 23 years old and what most would still consider a top "prospect". See the northside team for what not stretching out a guy like McCarthy can lead to and sticking him into a full season of starts.

Keeping Brandon out of the rotation also helps in deciding which of this year's starters he will be replacing next year.

MadetoOrta
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Keeping Brandon out of the rotation also helps in deciding which of this year's starters he will be replacing next year.

Can't we decide that in November and try to WIN now?

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
One thing to keep in mind regarding the center field situation. As Hal pointed out, it wasn't Ozzie who left the Sox thin in outfield depth in the first place was it this off-season?

Lip

jenn2080
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
One thing to keep in mind regarding the center field situation. As Hal pointed out, it wasn't Ozzie who left the Sox thin in outfield depth in the first place was it this off-season?

Lip

no but unfortanately despite his bad bat the first half we should have had him playing in CF a bit more and there should be excuse now for Rob playing as much as he is with Brian hitting better

Iwritecode
09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
With Sweeney on the team, that excuse is no longer true. Sweeney's not a natural CF, but he's a heckuvalot better than Mackowiak.

Now. When the interview was done he had just been called up and didn't even have any major league AB's. I agree Sweeney is certainly a better option now defensively.

Iwritecode
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Ozzie and Coop both continue to insist that they have faith that the current starters can get the job done.

That's talk for "Our starters make too much money to be stuck in the bullpen."

Trav
09-06-2006, 12:17 AM
That's talk for "Our starters make too much money to be stuck in the bullpen."

What was El Duque making last year?

Iwritecode
09-06-2006, 12:28 AM
What was El Duque making last year?

He wasn't sent to the bullpen until after they clinched the divison and then for the playoffs. He made his last start of the season on Sep. 17. He pitched exactly 1 inning out of the BP on the last day of the season.

Trav
09-06-2006, 01:27 AM
He wasn't sent to the bullpen until after they clinched the divison and then for the playoffs. He made his last start of the season on Sep. 17. He pitched exactly 1 inning out of the BP on the last day of the season.

I don't know how much he was making last year either. I think it was more than any other Sox pitcher and yet they moved him to the pen. Clearly, it was the right move.

I think the Sox still want to win. I don't think they care about how much the guy makes. I think many folks wanted to put the guy who pitched a heck of a game on Tuesday in the pen earlier in the year. And I think they were wrong. If the Sox staff thought that they would have a better shot at winning ballgames by switching a RP and a SP they wouldn't look at the man's check. Just my $0.02.

Iwritecode
09-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I don't know how much he was making last year either. I think it was more than any other Sox pitcher and yet they moved him to the pen. Clearly, it was the right move.

I think the Sox still want to win. I don't think they care about how much the guy makes. I think many folks wanted to put the guy who pitched a heck of a game on Tuesday in the pen earlier in the year. And I think they were wrong. If the Sox staff thought that they would have a better shot at winning ballgames by switching a RP and a SP they wouldn't look at the man's check. Just my $0.02.

You're missing point. He was sent into the bullpen because that's what all teams do for the playoffs. In a 5-game series you only need 4 starters and possibly even 3.

maurice
09-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Now Ozzie criticizes (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060905soxbrite,1,6197479.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) Anderson for having "only 306 at-bats." You're crappy lineups are the reason that he doesn't have more ABs, Oz. It's not like he's refusing to play. Ozzie also again implies that Anderson is playing poorly "right now." He mentioned this as the reason he played Mackowiak so often the past couple of months (when Anderson was hitting .300 and playing Gold Glove defense). I know you hate statistical splits, Ozzie, but please open your damn eyes. Ozzie concedes that Anderson is working hard and not "los[ing] any games," but still feels the need to criticize him in the media for no apparent reason. Finally, after recently calling Anderson the fastest player on the Sox, Ozzie says that Anderson is "average, a little bit better than average....He runs decent....[W]e need to be faster in the outfield." If Anderson's "average" speed is the fastest on your team but not fast enough for your OF, what does that say about Podsednik, Ozuna, Mackowiak, etc.? How is Anderson's speed "going to help him" if it's only "average"?
:rolleyes:

You also gotta love Gonzalez's spin on the story: "Anderson [] is struggling through a rough rookie season." He "is" or he "was," Mark? I forgot. You don't do in-depth analysis. You just repeat whatever nonsense you hear.

BTW, where did they get the idea that Anderson doesn't want to play winter ball? I only heard him asked one time a few weeks ago, and he quickly said "I'll go whereever they want me to go."

DaleJRFan
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
BTW, where did they get the idea that Anderson doesn't want to play winter ball? I only heard him asked one time a few weeks ago, and he quickly said "I'll go whereever they want me to go."

Anderson was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I'd rather go home and relax for the winter, but if they want me to go to winter ball, I'll go."

jenn2080
09-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Anderson was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I'd rather go home and relax for the winter, but if they want me to go to winter ball, I'll go."

That is a no brainer and does not mean the kid is an ass( i am not saying you said that). Of course he would rather go and relax. That is like your job asking you to work over time on a Fri night.

Trav
09-06-2006, 05:04 PM
You're missing point. He was sent into the bullpen because that's what all teams do for the playoffs. In a 5-game series you only need 4 starters and possibly even 3.

I must be. I thought you said the pitchers who are in the rotation are there because of how much they make. If that were true, then last year Garland (I think he made the least amount of money) would have been coming from the bullpen in Boston.

TomBradley72
09-06-2006, 05:40 PM

Lip

Great point Lip....this has been a "fatal flaw" on the roster since Opening Day...no legitimate back up CF or right handed hitting OF to back up Pods..so we're left with Mac and Ozuna. We have Ross Gload..who has contributed very nicely...but another left handed bat off the bench/3rd string 1B is not a priority.

BRDSR
09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Speaking of Sweeney starting in centerfield...This also pushes Pods to 8th in the lineup, a very appropriate spot for him lately.I've only seen one of Sweeney's ABs today, but he hit it hard back up the middle and generally seemed to have a decent approach at the plate.JD just went yard for his 40th as I write this...methinks my post is getting off topic. I didn't even hear the KW interview. But I really like the lineup tonight.