PDA

View Full Version : A thought?

JohnTucker0814
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
You know after reading the Pods article about the platoon role and how all the coaches say Pods is pressing and putting too much pressure on himself...how can a "fan" of the Sox boo this guy? I've been a huge critic of Freddy because I feel like he's not trying. Just because these guys make millions of dollars does not mean that we should expect them all to be all-stars. Last I knew there are only what 30 all-stars per league every year? I don't know if I'm just feeling friendly today or what. Imagine how hard it would be if you were having a bad day or a bad week at work and when you got home there were 30 reporters asking you questions they knew were going to make you upset? WOW... I don't envy that...

anywho... just my friendly post for the day... back to being upset about they way our Sox are playing! =) haha

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
You know after reading the Pods article about the platoon role and how all the coaches say Pods is pressing and putting too much pressure on himself...how can a "fan" of the Sox boo this guy? I've been a huge critic of Freddy because I feel like he's not trying. Just because these guys make millions of dollars does not mean that we should expect them all to be all-stars. Last I knew there are only what 30 all-stars per league every year? I don't know if I'm just feeling friendly today or what. Imagine how hard it would be if you were having a bad day or a bad week at work and when you got home there were 30 reporters asking you questions they knew were going to make you upset? WOW... I don't envy that...

anywho... just my friendly post for the day... back to being upset about they way our Sox are playing! =) haha

Most of those fans 1) don't make millions of dollars for playing a game and 2) aren't married to Playboy Playmates. It's a small slice of why A-Rod will never make anyone in NY happy, although Pods obviously doesn't make $25 million per season.

Maybe the average fan sees Pods striking out and not stealing bases and figures they could do that...they could take ludicrous routes, tippy-toe around the outfield like they're running on hot coals, never dive in the outfield, whiff or pop up bunts, always treat the 3B foul-line fence like it's the Great Wall of China and make weak-armed throws that call to mind Lance Johnson or Johnny Damon.

OTOH, most of us don't see ourselves as Joe Crede, Konerko, Thome or Dye...just like fans identify more with a Steve Nash or even Michael Jordan than someone like Shaquille O'Neal, Yao Ming or Kevin Garnett.

In something of a paradox or dichotomy, Konerko and Thome and Crede and AJ are blue collar offensive linemen that bring their lunchpails to work with coffee in the Thermos and a ham and swiss, whereas Pods is the spoiled fratboy with the BMW and the yuppie Gold Coast address and hot stripper/actress/sorority girl.

They conveniently forget his decades long struggle in the minors, his numerous injuries, his transition from track to baseball...he's really persevered. Not worthy of a Lifetime Movie or Invincible/The Rookie/Remember the Titans/Glory Road/Miracle, but a good story.

BanditJimmy
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Only way to express your anger towards the play on the field is to boo.

It's been like this in sports for a long time now.

If Pods is too sensative to not realize why the fans boo, then he needs to find a different career.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
The only Sox player I ever booed was Marte after a 4-pitch walk in the August Boston series last season.

It's not as if Pods isn't trying. He runs out grounders and fly balls. He tries, he works hard. He just isn't very good. If you are going to boo someone, boo Ozzie for running the poor guy out there every day, only to watch him whiff 4 times when there are options on the bench.

Law11
09-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I cant Boo someone who tries..
This guy was as big a reason as any we got to the playoffs last year.

I wont be sad when he is gone after this year but will not boo him at this point either.

buehrle4cy05
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I won't ever boo Podsednik. He won a ****ing World Series game for us. I don't care how bad he's doing in 2006, he won't ever be booed by me. Hell, I even didn't boo poor Cliff when he was out there giving up long ball after long ball in June.

That's just me.

eriqjaffe
09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe the average fan sees Pods striking out and not stealing bases and figures they could do that...they could take ludicrous routes, tippy-toe around the outfield like they're running on hot coals, never dive in the outfield, whiff or pop up bunts, always treat the 3B foul-line fence like it's the Great Wall of China and make weak-armed throws that call to mind Lance Johnson or Johnny Damon.Yeah, I miss this Scott Podsednik:
http://graphics.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/8.8_pod_gett.jpg

JohnTucker0814
09-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Think about it... look at how frustrated we are as "fans" of this team. These guys care about the game, can you imagine how frustrated THEY are right now? They know they are better than this. Imagine how terrible you felt when you went home from playing a sport in high school or college and you did tried as hard as you could, but just didn't play to the caliber that you should. I know I would stress about it until the next game.

Martinigirl
09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I would boo someone who doesn't put forth any effort, who dogs it on the field and doesn't care about the game or his team. That player is not Pods.

And to boo a guy because you are jealous of who he married and the fact he is attractive is just odd.

slobes
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I cant Boo someone who tries..
This guy was as big a reason as any we got to the playoffs last year.

I wont be sad when he is gone after this year but will not boo him at this point either.

Yeah seriously. It's not as if Pods makes a staggeringly high amount of money for a major leaguer, realizes he'll get paid this amount no matter how he performs, and goes on to only care about personal stats, or, even worse, not care about anything at all. He tries hard. That's all you can ask for in a human being.

itsnotrequired
09-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I would boo someone who doesn't put forth any effort, who dogs it on the field and doesn't care about the game or his team. That player is not Pods.

Players like that aren't on the White Sox. Could you imagine a Manny-type on this team? KW would send him packing in a heartbeat.

The Dude
09-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Players like that aren't on the White Sox. Could you imagine a Manny-type on this team? KW would send him packing in a heartbeat.

And he has. Remember this man....
http://www.cincinnati.com/spotlite/jimenez_qanda.jpg