PDA

View Full Version : Longball

thomas35forever
09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
How come when we lose, it's always by home runs?:angry:

Madvora
09-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Marte walked in the winning run against the Cubs.

itsnotrequired
09-05-2006, 10:47 AM
How come when we lose, it's always by home runs?:angry:

What the heck are you talking about? The last walk-off homer hit against the Sox was June 29 in Pittsburgh. They must not have lost a game since then.

Last night's walk-off was only the third against the Sox all season.

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
What the heck are you talking about? The last walk-off homer hit against the Sox was June 29 in Pittsburgh. They must not have lost a game since then.

It doesn't have to be a walk-off to lose by a homerun.

Britt Burns
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Homers suck, but the real killer was the lead off walk in the 9th. Damn I hate those.

Blob
09-05-2006, 11:28 AM

And we have only lost 3 games all year!! :D:

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
We give up a lot of homers, that's why.

I heard we haven't won a game with less than 5 runs in two months. I didn't realize that. That's not good.

kevingrt
09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
We do lose by HR's except it's not the way you are thinking. We lose by HR's because all our hitters go up to the plate looking to hit HR's. That is never a good receipe for success.

itsnotrequired
09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
It doesn't have to be a walk-off to lose by a homerun.

By my definition it is. Opposing team hits a walk-off and that's it, you lose. If they hit a go ahead homer in the 8th inning, you still have a chance to come back.

In any event, most of the recent loses haven't come at the hand of a home run anyway. Walks, steals, cluth hitting by opponents, etc. are what are getting runs across.

Foulke You
09-05-2006, 12:27 PM
By my definition it is. Opposing team hits a walk-off and that's it, you lose. If they hit a go ahead homer in the 8th inning, you still have a chance to come back.

In any event, most of the recent loses haven't come at the hand of a home run anyway. Walks, steals, cluth hitting by opponents, etc. are what are getting runs across.
I'd say overall I agree with the sentiment of thomas35forever. We have lost games recently with some clutch hits and steals of late but overall through the course of the season, the long ball is what has jumped up and bit Sox pitchers when it hurts especially Vazquez, Freddy Garcia, and of late, Jose Contreras as well. I'm not talking just walkoffs, overall, the deciding blow or "turning point" against us this season in losses has been HRs allowed.

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
1 win and 4 loses in our last 5 games giving up 5 HR's for 7 runs. If the HR's aren't directly responsible, they're sure a major contributor.

JB98
09-05-2006, 01:26 PM
We give up a lot of homers, that's why.

I heard we haven't won a game with less than 5 runs in two months. I didn't realize that. That's not good.

We beat Detroit 4-3 on 8/12. Other than that, we always piss away the low-scoring games.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
We do lose by HR's except it's not the way you are thinking. We lose by HR's because all our hitters go up to the plate looking to hit HR's. That is never a good receipe for success.Ding!! Ding!!!

We lose by HR all right...too many solo HR by SOX PLAYERS.

thomas35forever
09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I think some of you misunderstood my question. What I asked was when we lose, how come the runs we give up are always the balls that land in the seats?

soxfan13
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I think some of you misunderstood my question. What I asked was when we lose, how come the runs we give up are always the balls that land in the seats?

You mean homeruns?:smile:

spiffie
09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Ding!! Ding!!!

We lose by HR all right...too many solo HR by SOX PLAYERS.
Yup. Because you have a much better chance of scoring runs when you need to string 2-3 hits in a row together than when a guy plates himself.

We have scored plenty of runs. Rarely do we ask our pitching staff to throw a shutout or a 1-run game to win. Just barely 15% of the time have we been held to 2 runs or less. The problem for this team is that, as SouthSoxFan showed (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1330227&postcount=256) our pitching cannot come through when we give them what should be plenty of run support to generate a better record. The team is 3-15 when we score 3 runs. Last year when scoring 3 runs we were 7-4. We are barely over .500 when scoring 4 runs in a game. That is absolutely appalling for a team that was supposed to have 5 stud starting pitchers. You want to pin blame for things going poorly this season, put it where it belongs. And where it belongs is on the little hill in the middle of the infield. Right now it's a 3-team race for 2 spots. The ERA's of the teams in question:
Detroit - 3.67
Minnesota - 4.12
White Sox - 4.56

Give this team the Minnesota ERA (hell, give us the Minnesota bullpen) and we're ahead in this division by 5 games, not the other way around. Give this team 30 less HR and we're 10 games back. Especially considering that the non HR-hitting guys, like our leadoff hitter Mr. Podsednik, have failed to give any production at all the last few months.

veeter
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
We do lose by HR's except it's not the way you are thinking. We lose by HR's because all our hitters go up to the plate looking to hit HR's. That is never a good receipe for success.Exactly. Jim Thome is a great guy and terrific home run hitter. But, whatever dynamic he brought to the team, has backfired. With Gload in and Thome out, the Sox simply play better. The bottom of the order guys contribute more. With Big Jim in the line-up, the guys may just sit back and think Paul, Thome and Dye will take care of everything. Those few games with Thome out, it actually felt like last year. When Thome is in there it feels like the CLee era.

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM

I guess the answer to the original question is that the pitching has, for the most part, sucked!