kittle42
09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Thank you!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside05.html

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Thank you!

I'm also glad we know what's wrong with Dye.

He has looked horrible since the 4 K game against Perez where Ozzie bailed him out by getting a runner cut down to prevent him from getting 5 K's.

And I'm excited to see Sweeney play. If Minnesota can keep relying upon rookies and second-year players down the stretch, we can afford to play one ONCE without the entire world falling apart.

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm also glad we know what's wrong with Dye.

He has looked horrible since the 4 K game against Perez where Ozzie bailed him out by getting a runner cut down to prevent him from getting 5 K's.

And I'm excited to see Sweeney play. If Minnesota can keep relying upon rookies and second-year players down the stretch, we can afford to play one ONCE without the entire world falling apart.

The difference is their rookies are always good and ours always suck.

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Good. Putting Mack in LF is good, putting him in CF is bad.

Corlose 15
09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

Your pessimism makes me smile. :cool:

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 10:26 AM

Well, don't react yet, I'm still browsing a thesaurus for stronger words for "always" and "suck."

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Yea, dude... Bobby Jenks sucks.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, don't react yet, I'm still browsing a thesaurus for stronger words for "always" and "suck."

Stop posting after losses. :cool:

McCarthy, Anderson and Jenks make up the Sox rookie crop this year, and none of the three suck. Anderson should play every day and McCarthy keeps getting run out there in HIGH-leverage situations. Blame the manager.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Yea, dude... Bobby Jenks sucks.

Jenks was waived by the Angels. He was one of the top prospects in baseball 2-3 seasons ago, but I was referring mostly to rookies we draft, sign and develop in our organization. Jon Garland was drafted by the Cubs, although we traded for him when he was 18 or 19.

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Stop posting after losses. :cool:

McCarthy, Anderson and Jenks make up the Sox rookie crop this year, and none of the three suck. Anderson should play every day and McCarthy keeps getting run out there in HIGH-leverage situations. Blame the manager.

Jenks is a rookie? Ok. Now, if you're talking last year when he actually was a rookie, he'd be the one exception, but he wasn't developed by the White Sox so I wasn't exactly thinking of him.

McCarthy isn't ready to be a good starter or reliever. Blame Ozzie for putting him in important situations? This is the big leagues.

Anderson's good now, but did you miss the first, I don't know, four months of his career? Outs don't get more automatic than that.

Then there are many others who come to mind as far as Sox rookies that were highly regarded by the organization and proceeded to struggle mightily and not contribute at all. Kip Wells, Danny Wright, Jon Garland for a few years, Joe Borchard, Joe Crede. Uh who else, Arnie Muņoz, Aaron Myette, Jon Rauch...etc. Need I go on?

Now of course I realize that you can't expect all that much out of any rookie, but our track record with them is pretty poor.

Britt Burns
09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Jenks is a rookie? Ok. Now, if you're talking last year when he actually was a rookie, he'd be the one exception, but he wasn't developed by the White Sox so I wasn't exactly thinking of him.

I thought Jenks technically is a rookie. Isn't 40 innings the cutoff? Jenks had 39.1 last season...not that it really matters.

As an aside, while Jenks wasn't drafted by the Sox, they did take him as a castoff, turn him into a reliever, and do something to his head and/or mechanics that allowed him to go from a fireballer with mixed success in the minors to one of the best closers in the game. If that isn't developing a player I don't know what is.

kevingrt
09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Question when Pods and Pablo aren't in the lineup who hits leadoff? This should be fun to watch.

JRIG
09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Question when Pods and Pablo aren't in the lineup who hits leadoff? This should be fun to watch.

Mack? Sweeney? The answer is it just doesn't matter that much. This isn't the NL where the pitcher makes the final out 3 times a game. Both Mackowiak and Sweeney (at least at the AAA level) have shown an ability to get on base. That's what matters hitting in front of Dye, Thome, and Konerko.

For all of Pods' "speed" he's currently 5th on the team in runs scored. You can't steal first base.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Jenks isn't a rookie because of time on the roster...there is a rule for at-bats and innings pitched (it's 50 I think) but he's not considered a rookie this year from my understanding.

seventyseven
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM

Put Gload at lead-off. Seriously.

Palehose13
09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
This made a lot of sense to me:
''His season is salvageable,'' hitting coach Greg Walker said. "If he starts swinging well, starts creating havoc on the bases, and we win, then in my mind he's had a good year. But if he keeps pressing, which has been his problem all year ... he's been too hard on himself.''

Pods was great his rookie season (2003) and then slumped in 2004. He was trying to do everything in Milwaukee, pressing himself to carry the team. Then when he came to the Sox last year, he said that it was simple, he just needed to get on base and score. IMO, he wasn't pressing last year, but then this year many people started the "When Podsednik does well, the sox win." It just seems to me that the guy doesn't play well when the expectations are high for him. I think he'll have a great year next year whether he is with the Sox or not. Why? The expectations won't be there.

Britt Burns
09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Hasn't Pods been platooned for the last few months already? I can't remember the last time he started against a lefty.

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 01:08 PM
This made a lot of sense to me:

Pods was great his rookie season (2003) and then slumped in 2004. He was trying to do everything in Milwaukee, pressing himself to carry the team. Then when he came to the Sox last year, he said that it was simple, he just needed to get on base and score. IMO, he wasn't pressing last year, but then this year many people started the "When Podsednik does well, the sox win." It just seems to me that the guy doesn't play well when the expectations are high for him. I think he'll have a great year next year whether he is with the Sox or not. Why? The expectations won't be there.

I think it's funny that he thought it was so simple to just get on base for a team with Carl Everett batting third, yet with a lineup featuring four guys with 30 homers and 100 RBI--and nearly a .300 average all around--he can't handle the pressure. :rolleyes:

Foulke You
09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Put Gload at lead-off. Seriously.
Count me in the try Gload at lead-off campaign. All that guy has done since he started playing again is hit the ball and get on base every game. I know he isn't a traditional lead-off man but at this point, I'll take a guy who is slapping line drives all over the park over the ice cold Scotty Pods. I'd even be open to testing out a Gload/Ozuna platoon for a while. I realize Gload's sample size is smaller but he is leading Pods the 3 major statistical averages:

Ross Gload
.311avg .346obp .421slg

Scott Podsednik
.259avg .333obp .360slg

Palehose13
09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I think it's funny that he thought it was so simple to just get on base for a team with Carl Everett batting third, yet with a lineup featuring four guys with 30 homers and 100 RBI--and nearly a .300 average all around--he can't handle the pressure. :rolleyes:

IMO, the line up has nothing to do with it. It is what is expected of him. When he was traded here, very few people thought that it was a good trade, therefore the expectations of him were low. Same thing in 2003 with the Brewers. Then in 2004 and now in 2006 he is expected to be the "sparkplug" and he puts too much pressure on himself. He has to be able to handle some sort of pressure, he is a MLB player. All I am suggesting is that he doesn't do well when he puts the pressure on himself.

I'm not making up excuses for him, but from observing him since 2003 this is what I've seen. It isn't clinical, just my opinion. I guess I just figured a message board is more fun when you express and discuss/analyze thoughtful opinions instead of just throwing out thoughtless ones.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm wondering if missing practically all of spring training with that shoulder injury was the start of this.

That's one thing about this season...while the Sox haven't had the crippling injuries that members of the Twins and Yankees have had, they have had numerous and seemingly never ending, 'minor' and 'nagging' injuries.

It began in spring training with Contreras, Posednik and Hermanson and has continued ever since then. Now it's Thome and Dye.

Ozzie doesn't need a reason to play musical chairs with his line-up but these constant back, hamstring, shoulder, nerve injuries isn't making things any easier or more consistent.

It has to some extent effected individual and team performance.

Lip

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
For instance, Thome has 30 HR's before the ASB and only 7 since. I was surprised there was that level of disparity. Not all because of the injuries/fewer games...but it doesn't help to establish a rhythm to miss 3-4 games, come back for a week....sit for a weekend, etc.

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Thank you!

He's been platooning with Ozuna most of the year.

What this should be called is 'being relegated to a part-time role'.

Domeshot17
09-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I think the one thing no one questions pods on really is his effort. We know he isnt the most talented defensive guy, and hes really struggling at the dish, but we know he cares. Its a shame the guy is such a mess with his confidence. It makes sense though. Everything you hear of him he is kind of shy, humble, he hates letting people down. I think the good news is, if he can get his head right, this guy might be the spark we need moving towards and maybe into the playoffs

batmanZoSo
09-05-2006, 02:20 PM
IMO, the line up has nothing to do with it. It is what is expected of him. When he was traded here, very few people thought that it was a good trade, therefore the expectations of him were low. Same thing in 2003 with the Brewers. Then in 2004 and now in 2006 he is expected to be the "sparkplug" and he puts too much pressure on himself. He has to be able to handle some sort of pressure, he is a MLB player. All I am suggesting is that he doesn't do well when he puts the pressure on himself.

I'm not making up excuses for him, but from observing him since 2003 this is what I've seen. It isn't clinical, just my opinion. I guess I just figured a message board is more fun when you express and discuss/analyze thoughtful opinions instead of just throwing out thoughtless ones.

Well I don't know what all that is supposed to mean, but we must also entertain the idea that he's only good for one year in each league before he gets figured out and he can't adjust. After all, last year he was an AL rookie in a manner of speaking. It might not be a coincidence that he's struggled mightily this year just as he did in his sophomore season.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Another nothing article from Joe Cowley, trying to make something out of nothing. Ozuna is going to play against lefties? Stop the presses!!!!:rolleyes:

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Another nothing article from Joe Cowley, trying to make something out of nothing. Ozuna is going to play against lefties? Stop the presses!!!!:rolleyes:

You are correct, but when Ozzie starts throwing in names of other LH hitters, that means Pods will be taking a seat more often than the occasional lefty.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
You are correct, but when Ozzie starts throwing in names of other LH hitters, that means Pods will be taking a seat more often than the occasional lefty.Again, forget Cowley's words, they're worthless. Read Ozzie's words:

''Pods, I expect him to have better games because I'm not going to say I'm going to put him on the bench, I see him continuing to struggle, I might use a couple guys for a few days to make him come back, but now he's going to play.''

Palehose13
09-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Well I don't know what all that is supposed to mean, but we must also entertain the idea that he's only good for one year in each league before he gets figured out and he can't adjust. After all, last year he was an AL rookie in a manner of speaking. It might not be a coincidence that he's struggled mightily this year just as he did in his sophomore season.

What all that meant is that you seem to have the tendency to "poo-poo" on ideas with offering any alternatives.

Both ideas have merit, but I see his struggles starting with his hammy last year. It seems that when you take away his ability to steal bases, he knows that he doesn't have much else to contribute. Walker and Ozzie both seem to think that his problem is between the ears.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Again, forget Cowley's words, they're worthless. Read Ozzie's words:

''Pods, I expect him to have better games because I'm not going to say I'm going to put him on the bench, I see him continuing to struggle, I might use a couple guys for a few days to make him come back, but now he's going to play.''

Ozzie was also quoted as saying (in regards to filling in for JD tonight):

Gload is the best pinch-hitter from the bench, and having [Juan] Uribe and [Brian] Anderson struggle, the guy I want from the bench is Gload," Guillen said. "I might play Sweeney in right field, but we will try to figure it out.

Anderson struggling??? Sure, he's 1-10 in September, but in August he hit 296. In July he hit 313. If that is struggling, then JD needs to ride the pine. :rolleyes:

Even so, if Uribe and Anderson are struggling, wouldn't you want the hot hitter with a 328 batting average IN THE LINEUP? Ozzie's logic makes no sense.

at this point, I question Ozzie as much as Cowley

JB98
09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Hasn't Pods been platooned for the last few months already? I can't remember the last time he started against a lefty.

Pods started against Fossum the first game against Tampa Bay, but I think he was 3-for-4 lifetime against Fossum coming into that game. Ozzie was clearly playing the matchup there.

It will be interesting to see if anyone other than Pods actually gets a start in LF against right-handed pitching. It certainly isn't news that Ozuna is going to get the majority of the work against lefties.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Hasn't Pods been platooned for the last few months already? I can't remember the last time he started against a lefty.Thats what I was thinking also. I guess now there is just a title for it.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Ozzie was also quoted as saying (in regards to filling in for JD tonight):

Anderson struggling??? Sure, he's 1-10 in September, but in August he hit 296. In July he hit 313. If that is struggling, then JD needs to ride the pine. :rolleyes:

Even so, if Uribe and Anderson are struggling, wouldn't you want the hot hitter with a 328 batting average IN THE LINEUP? Ozzie's logic makes no sense.

at this point, I question Ozzie as much as Cowley

Except the offensive advantage gained might easily be mitigated by the defensive adventures with Ross playing the outfield. It's not simply a matter of crunching numbers and saying Ross is a better option than Pods, because its based on such a limited sample. Well, maybe if Gload was overexposed his overall numbers would be lower....just like Ozuna would play everyday on most teams until he fell at least below .300, but he's not even considered for a starting position here. And there are many credible reasons why.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Except the offensive advantage gained might easily be mitigated by the defensive adventures with Ross playing the outfield. It's not simply a matter of crunching numbers and saying Ross is a better option than Pods, because its based on such a limited sample. Well, maybe if Gload was overexposed his overall numbers would be lower....just like Ozuna would play everyday on most teams until he fell at least below .300, but he's not even considered for a starting position here. And there are many credible reasons why.It's almost comical seeing some of the same people who think we're DOOMED any time Mackowiak plays CF also advocating playing Gload in the outfield.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Except the offensive advantage gained might easily be mitigated by the defensive adventures with Ross playing the outfield. It's not simply a matter of crunching numbers and saying Ross is a better option than Pods, because its based on such a limited sample. Well, maybe if Gload was overexposed his overall numbers would be lower....just like Ozuna would play everyday on most teams until he fell at least below .300, but he's not even considered for a starting position here. And there are many credible reasons why.

That wasn't my point. As much as I want to see Ryan Sweeney take on big league pitchers, I want the Sox to WIN. And sitting Gload so that Ozzie can get a look at a 21 year old rookie makes NO SENSE when Gload is a 30 year old MLB veteran with a 328 batting average.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 04:02 PM
It's almost comical seeing some of the same people who think we're DOOMED any time Mackowiak plays CF also advocating playing Gload in the outfield.

If Sweeney does anything tonight, I'll probably be putting him in the HOF. I love it when White Sox rookies do anything positive, and it has been a long time since I was excited about someone like Ryan and Josh (I guess Crede was it, after Magglio and C-Lee). Maybe its because I'm a native Iowan, that could explain it, lol.

I probably will view him more favorably than a Gload, Ozuna or Mackowiak because I feel strongly that he will be a part of the "new" White Sox for the next 5-7 years. I want to become emotionally invested in a Sox player that comes up and stays around, instead of seeing every single player traded away from our system like C. Young and Gio.

When the White Sox were crap in the late 80's, I always got excited for August and September because that's when Sosa, Alvarez, Thomas, Bere, Fernandez, McDowell, Hibbard, Perez starting coalescing...all those players started to make an impact and you could see the future brightly gleaming in the future (didn't see the strike, lol).

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
That wasn't my point. As much as I want to see Ryan Sweeney take on big league pitchers, I want the Sox to WIN. And sitting Gload so that Ozzie can get a look at a 21 year old rookie makes NO SENSE when Gload is a 30 year old MLB veteran with a 328 batting average.

That's exactly what the Twins are doing with their pitching. They're weeding out the likes of Lohse and Silva and going with almost all rookies or second year pitchers. Now you can argue that comparing Lohse/Silva to Gload isn't necessarily fair...but I think a rookie making a big impact can energize the team and have a positive effect on the entire clubhouse.

Gload is a disaster in the OF. I advocate playing Anderson everyday because even if he makes outs, most of our "bad" losses have been due to defensive lapses and not offensive deficiencies in the bottom of the order. We were a much better team when BA wasn't hitting but we were getting good pitching in the first three months of the season. If our pitchers were able to pitch over errors or get the final outs of innings consistently, then I would take the risk on a more offensively-oriented player.

DaveIsHere
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I am quite curious to see Sweeney play tonight, I dont think it can hurt anymore than having Pods out there, and definetly an improvement over Ozuna in LF.

MDF3530
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I know that after this season is over, Pods will be a former White Sox player, but he's the best Ozzie's got right now. Can someone please explain to me why Pablo Ozuna is in the major leagues?!? He's fast, yes, but he's also like Michael Jackson-wears a glove for no reason. I can only think of four teams he belongs on: Schaumburg Flyers, Joliet Jackhammers, Windy City Thunderbolts and Gary South Shore RailCats.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I am quite curious to see Sweeney play tonight, I dont think it can hurt anymore than having Pods out there, and definetly an improvement over Ozuna in LF.

Ozuna LF, Anderson CF, Sweeney RF (for Dye)
that will be tonight's line-up...Sweeney will play until JD comes back or they put Gload or Mackowiak out there.

ilsox7
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I know that after this season is over, Pods will be a former White Sox player, but he's the best Ozzie's got right now. Can someone please explain to me why Pablo Ozuna is in the major leagues?!? He's fast, yes, but he's also like Michael Jackson-wears a glove for no reason. I can only think of four teams he belongs on: Schaumburg Flyers, Joliet Jackhammers, Windy City Thunderbolts and Gary South Shore RailCats.

Pods is below average in LF, too. Ozuna at least has been bringing some energy, tries to mix things up by bunting, and hasn't taken the last 23 curveballs he has seen for strike 3.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Pods is below average in LF, too. Ozuna at least has been bringing some energy, tries to mix things up by bunting, and hasn't taken the last 23 curveballs he has seen for strike 3.

I could live without giving up the first strike of every AB with the dreaded fake bunt though.

It was cuter when he was hitting .400 to me.

INSox56
09-05-2006, 04:50 PM

I don't think Pablo has played a single game at his natural position...which is SS...

digdagdug23
09-05-2006, 04:55 PM

It takes one to know one. :redneck Corlose is an d always will be my favorite pessimist, although Batman runs a close second, about 1/2 game back.

DaleJRFan
09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think Pablo has played a single game at his natural position...which is SS...

Does Pablo have a "natural position"???

samram
09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
It takes one to know one. :redneck Corlose is an d always will be my favorite pessimist, although Batman runs a close second, about 1/2 game back.

Well, then Batman is finished, given that deficit at this point of the season.

MDF3530
09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Does Pablo have a "natural position"???No. Instead of a glove and uniform, they should give him an apron and a meat cleaver because he's a butcher in the field.

The Immigrant
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM

:o: That would be some high comedy right there. I'd also pay good money to see Pablo behind the plate at least one time.

The Dude
09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
No. Instead of a glove and uniform, they should give him an apron and a meat cleaver because he's a butcher in the field.
:rolling:

I'd say the same for Pods and the CF Mack unfortunately.

slobes
09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
No. Instead of a glove and uniform, they should give him an apron and a meat cleaver because he's a butcher in the field.

ZING!!!!

I'm glad Ozzie finally made a move here. Originally, I didn't really want to see anyone leading off other than Ozuna or Pods, but now, against a right pitcher, I don't care if our leadoff man is fast as long as he can get on base.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
It's almost comical seeing some of the same people who think we're DOOMED any time Mackowiak plays CF also advocating playing Gload in the outfield.

With Sweeney up we should never see Mackowiak in CF again. Let Mackowiak play the corners where he belongs. Anyone could see during Mackowiak's first start he couldn't cover the position. I thought this would have been put to rest June 9th when Ozzie stated Anderson would be his regular CFer but we have seen Mackowiak in CF 2 or 3 starts per week since.

I agree with Gload - 1B, PH or DH only please.

Then again, Ozzie has been rolling his "Dusty Dice" far too many times for my taste this season. God only knows what to expect the rest of the way.

CYGarland20
09-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Thank you!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside05.html Sounds great, but I'm afraid it may be a little too late

alohafri
09-06-2006, 06:18 AM

Who cares? Lead Crede off! He will still get on base more often than AAA Pods.

batmanZoSo
09-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Does Pablo have a "natural position"???

It's shortstop. He was a top Marlins SS prospect at one point around 99-00.

JorgeFabregas
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
I heard on WSCR that Ozzie plans on putting Sweeney in the starting lineup tonight and that Dye should be back. I'm not sure if that means Anderson or Pods is out tonight.

jenn2080
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
I heard on WSCR that Ozzie plans on putting Sweeney in the starting lineup tonight and that Dye should be back. I'm not sure if that means Anderson or Pods is out tonight.

Pods please

JorgeFabregas
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Sweeney's apparently in center, so I assume Pods will be in left (if not Mackowiak or Gload).

Honestly, Brian has looked lost again the past couple games. I'm not sure he's hit the ball hard (foul or fair).

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Right about now, I wouldn't mind seeing Pods platooned with a beer vendor.

maurice
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
This latest move is ridiculous. I've stuck up for Podsednik in the past, but the only point of playing him is to have him bat leadoff. He's completely one-dimensional. If you stick somebody else in the #1 slot, there's no point in playing Podsednik at all, particularly when you have superior options on the bench who would be better defensively and/or far more productive in the #7 slot.

This is just the latest example of Ozzie playing the guys he likes in place of the guys who best help you win.

:timo:
"I'm exhibit A."

Madvora
09-07-2006, 12:45 PM
If you stick somebody else in the #1 slot, there's no point in playing Podsednik at all
Great point. I agree.