PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie on his future in Chicago...

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
''It's kind of hard because I want to manage in Chicago for the rest of my life and I don't think that's going to be too long,'' Guillen said with a laugh. ''But, I don't think I could change from one city to another just because I like to win. As long as I'm here, I think we're going to put [together] the best team we can to give me an opportunity to win. I know when I walk to the ballpark, I know what I'm going to see, what I'm going to face, what I'm going to deal with.
''In another city, I come out like, 'Oh my god, I don't know what type of people I'm going to deal with, what kind of people care about baseball.' ''

from suntimes.com

MadetoOrta
09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
KW was outraged by Guillen's behaviour earlier this season to the point he indicated it wouldn't be tolerated. KW is a former player. My guess is KW was speaking for the players who may be growing tired of Guillen's schtick. Guillen tinkers as much as Manuel and it's caught up and bit him in the face. I guess it boils down what KW and JR feel is best for the team. A Lou Pinella team wouldn't be sleepwalking through August and September. Sorry, but it's the truth.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2006, 10:33 AM
KW was outraged by Guillen's behaviour earlier this season to the point he indicated it wouldn't be tolerated. KW is a former player. My guess is KW was speaking for the players who may be growing tired of Guillen's schtick.
:rolleyes:
For the last time, Williams said what he had to say. It was a PR move. A GM can't do anything but say "that is innapropriate, and if it continues, it won't be tolerated." There was nothing surprising at all about KW's quote. You are looking too far into it.

southside rocks
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
For the last time, Williams said what he had to say. It was a PR move. A GM can't do anything but say "that is innapropriate, and if it continues, it won't be tolerated." There was nothing surprising at all about KW's quote. You are looking too far into it.

I agree. If KW had said anything else, or if he had said nothing at all, it would have been construed as the organization being okay with Ozzie lobbing verbal slurs (or even just ignorant, thoughtless comments) whenever he felt like it.

I never got the sense that KW "threatened" Ozzie; I actually read it as KW saying "it will break my heart to do it, but if Ozzie keeps talking his way out the door, I'll have to close it behind him."

And does anyone have any evidence that any players are "growing tired of [Ozzie's] schtick"? The only negative comments I read about Ozzie come from players and coaches on opposing teams. Paul Konerko said in July that "playing for Ozzie is a walk in the park" and I think that he's expressing the general opinion of the team.

Well, maybe except for Sean Tracey, who of course was ruined by Ozzie and is now pitching his team into the AAA playoffs. Way to really screw up the rook, Oz!

kevingrt
09-05-2006, 12:30 PM
People are diggin way to deep into these quotes. Everyone ask Ozzie a question and he answers 95% of the questions so there are going to be some weird answers.

And I can tell you one thing KW and Ozzie have no problems

spiffie
09-05-2006, 12:34 PM
People are diggin way to deep into these quotes. Everyone ask Ozzie a question and he answers 95% of the questions so there are going to be some weird answers.

And I can tell you one thing KW and Ozzie have no problems
This is based I assume on your brunch with Kenny every Thursday?

I know Ozzie is in no danger right now. I will say though that managers who swear at everyone, call people names, get into public feuds with people, and ooze machismo are "charming", "eccentric", and "characters" when they are guiding underdog teams to a World Series. When those managers guide teams with $100 million payrolls to 3rd place finishes the words in those quotes often change rather quickly in the minds of management. I don't think Ozzie is in any danger this year, even if we fail to make the playoffs. If we end up in 3rd again next year though, and Ozzie is just as brash and shooting from the hip...then he might find the chair getting warm.

Palehose13
09-05-2006, 01:05 PM
This is based I assume on your brunch with Kenny every Thursday?

I know Ozzie is in no danger right now. I will say though that managers who swear at everyone, call people names, get into public feuds with people, and ooze machismo are "charming", "eccentric", and "characters" when they are guiding underdog teams to a World Series. When those managers guide teams with $100 million payrolls to 3rd place finishes the words in those quotes often change rather quickly in the minds of management. I don't think Ozzie is in any danger this year, even if we fail to make the playoffs. If we end up in 3rd again next year though, and Ozzie is just as brash and shooting from the hip...then he might find the chair getting warm.

Because of your sig, I think Ozzie got himself a little more than a 2 or 3 year leash with JR.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Because of your sig, I think Ozzie got himself a little more than a 2 or 3 year leash with JR.

I hope "spiffie" doesn't have kids or his wife will be PO'ed with that one, lol.

spiffie
09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Under normal circumstances I would agree. Hell, I would say he's Manager For Life. However, if the Sox were to fail this year, and next year, it would not surprise me to see Ozzie become unhinged in a way that forces the organization's hand. The man is extremely volatile, as seen even last year. I worry that the stress of huge expectations unmet over a prolonged period could end up making him go off the rails.

I hope "spiffie" doesn't have kids or his wife will be PO'ed with that one, lol.
Good one :D: . Thankfully no, though the GF has been made well aware that if she ever became Mrs. Spiffie that my signature would not necessarily have to change. :tongue:

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Didn't KW also say that if it does not stop, he will be looking for a new manager? Seems to be a little more than a PR move. KW likes the goings on of the organization to be away from the public as much as possible. Oz complicates this sometimes.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Didn't KW also say that if it does not stop, he will be looking for a new manager? Seems to be a little more than a PR move. KW likes the goings on of the organization to be away from the public as much as possible. Oz complicates this sometimes. Yes, that is what we are talking about. What Ozzie said was very inappropriate. What did you expect KW to say? "If Ozzie continues to make inflammatory comments, we will punish him. The first step is a verbal warning. The next step, we warn him again and he has to sit out an inning. On the third strike we will revoke his parking privledges. On the fourth strike he will not be allowed access to the pregame buffett."
Kenny was upset that Ozzie made the comments, but he was just telling the truth. If Ozzie continued making controversial comments like that, he would Eventually have to be replaced. It is black and white.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
A Lou Pinella team wouldn't be sleepwalking through August and September. Sorry, but it's the truth.Really?? I guess you forgot about that Lou Pinella Mariners team that won the most regular season games in MAJOR LEAGUE HISTORY and got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I think they may have been swept but I could be wrong.

The Immigrant
09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Really?? I guess you forgot about that Lou Pinella Mariners team that won the most regular season games in MAJOR LEAGUE HISTORY and got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I think they may have been swept but I could be wrong.

That Mariners team beat the Indians 3-2 in the ALDS and lost to the Yankees 4:1 in the ALCS.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
That Mariners team beat the Indians 3-2 in the ALDS and lost to the Yankees 4:1 in the ALCS.I knew it was something like that, 1 and done. Still for that team they should have at least made it to the big game. My point originally was that it is stupid to assume that Lou would have done a better job these last few months. It also is not really fair for Ozzie because the season is not over yet. Are we Flubs fans?? Bring in Lou!@ Fire Ozzie!

The Immigrant
09-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I knew it was something like that, 1 and done. Still for that team they should have at least made it to the big game. My point originally was that it is stupid to assume that Lou would have done a better job these last few months. It also is not really fair for Ozzie because the season is not over yet. Are we Flubs fans?? Bring in Lou!@ Fire Ozzie!

I agree with you completely - just had to nitpick a little because of a ****ty day at work. :smile:

I'll take Ozzie over Lou Piniella and anyone else at this point.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I agree with you completely - just had to nitpick a little because of a ****ty day at work. :smile:

I'll take Ozzie over Lou Piniella and anyone else at this point.

I think I understand Ozzie's Spanglish better than Piniella's mumbling in the Fox booth.

QCIASOXFAN
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM

I'll take Ozzie over Lou Piniella and anyone else at this point.I think you will have a much better evening when Vazquez throws a shutout. Oh and we score some runs.:wink:

slobes
09-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Ozzie should have just quit after he won the World Series like he said he was gonna!

wassagstdu
09-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Ozzie spits a lot in public too. And when he argues with an umpire he uses very bad language. These things are considered colorful when his team wins, but when they lose, it is just offensive. I am sure the players are tired of watching Ozzie spit! Not only that but he has made some decisions this year that I don't agree with in hindsight. Obviously the Sox only won last year because he had a horseshoe up his ass, but now that he has passed it, let's find reasons to be offended and run him out of town. "Ozzie ball" is not real baseball anyway.

Tragg
09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Last year Ozzie made an effort to stay in the background, and did a good job of it considering his personality is not the background type.

This year, it seems he's made a decision to move up front - to the team's detriment, imo.

soxinem1
09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes, that is what we are talking about. What Ozzie said was very inappropriate. What did you expect KW to say? "If Ozzie continues to make inflammatory comments, we will punish him. The first step is a verbal warning. The next step, we warn him again and he has to sit out an inning. On the third strike we will revoke his parking privledges. On the fourth strike he will not be allowed access to the pregame buffett."
Kenny was upset that Ozzie made the comments, but he was just telling the truth. If Ozzie continued making controversial comments like that, he would Eventually have to be replaced. It is black and white.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

And if that does not work, he'll lose his individual hotel room.

And then......

TornLabrum
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Last year Ozzie made an effort to stay in the background...

I was wrong in another thread. We obviously can communicate with parallel universes.

MadetoOrta
09-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Last year Ozzie made an effort to stay in the background, and did a good job of it considering his personality is not the background type.

This year, it seems he's made a decision to move up front - to the team's detriment, imo.

Bingo! We have a winner! Whatever happened to the Ozzie Guillen I lauded for watching the team celebrate on the field commenting "this is their time. I'll stay here and watch." Now, he's the show. This will play out painfully over the next 2 years. Heck, last year at this time he was blaming the players for the collapse. Of course, this is the same guy saying "BA needs more at-bats." How many WS has Joe Torre won? Do you see him out front acting like a fool? Ripping his own players for not hitting someone with a pitch? This team is pound for pound better than any in baseball. KW gave him all the tools.

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Kind of like a .com, had it all and then lost it.

ws05champs
09-06-2006, 09:40 AM
It seems to me that Ozzie's managerial problems really started happening after he took sensitivity training. The fire went out of him and the team. Maybe it went too far and he needs desensitivity training.

I don't believe Ozzie really went out of his way to become a media darling. The media saw an easy story and provoked him until they got one.

spiffie
09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
It seems to me that Ozzie's managerial problems really started happening after he took sensitivity training. The fire went out of him and the team. Maybe it went too far and he needs desensitivity training.

Just imagine if Ozzie bludgeoned Cotts to death with a bat! They might never lose a game again!