PDA

View Full Version : Remember in 1983?

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 09:27 PM
In an effort to jump start the offense, Tony LaRussa moved RBI guy Pudge into the 2 slot behind a speedy Lead Off man. Pudge had a great second half and the team responded. If our leader was to make that kind of move and put some punch on either side of Frank, who would that be as the team is right now?

doublem23
02-25-2002, 09:45 PM
I'd say maybe Caballo, but I'm still having nightmares about his 2nd half last season.

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 09:47 PM
What about Walnuts? Wouldn't he love all those fast balls?

FarWestChicago
02-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What about Walnuts? Wouldn't he love all those fast balls? I don't know about putting the Slowest Man In Professional Sports at the top of the lineup.

:walnuts

Hey, I run a 4.4 - 4.5 Forty. I start on April 4th and end on April 5th.

doublem23
02-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What about Walnuts? Wouldn't he love all those fast balls?

I can dig it... Personally, the best option, IMO is Valentin.

doublem23
02-25-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

LOL! Someone must have started their watch late.

KempersRS
02-25-2002, 09:52 PM
I was born in 1983, there was obviously some magic in the air. :D:

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Although he was a good baserunner, Fisk was a catcher and didn't have blazing speed.

Daver
02-25-2002, 09:54 PM
I don't know about putting the Slowest Man In Professional Sports at the top of the lineup.

I bet he could outrun Keith Traylor on a good day.I would double that bet and say Traylor couldn't hit an inside the park HR.:redneck

FarWestChicago
02-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

I bet he could outrun Keith Traylor on a good day.You would get a good value for you money if you paid to see that race. It would last for a looooooong time. :smile:

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 09:59 PM
:reinsy

Calling all Gallas, calling all Gallas

Daver
02-25-2002, 10:00 PM
You would get a good value for you money if you paid to see that race. It would last for a looooooong time. :smile:

You'd lose it all back paying for refreshments.:redneck

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 10:06 PM
:versatile

Looks like a job for MR. VERSATILE

FarWestChicago
02-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by daver

You'd lose it all back paying for refreshments.:redneck Very good point! :D:

MattSharp
02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
I don't think Konerko has the speed. He is a prototypical 5 hitter though IMO. CLee is a better fit. But to be honest I think Durham could be golden in the two spot, but they prolly won't play him there.

Daver
02-25-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I don't think Konerko has the speed. He is a prototypical 5 hitter though IMO. CLee is a better fit. But to be honest I think Durham could be golden in the two spot, but they prolly won't play him there.

Ummm,yes they will.

Huisj
02-25-2002, 11:20 PM
I agree, Durham probably will hit number 2 as of right now. H could do all right there I think.

The sox kind of did the same thing for a while in the early 90's didn't they? Didn't Ventura hit #2 sometimes, or is that just my imagination going stupid on me again?

I don't remember the 1983 season, because I too was born right in the middle of it. But I don't know how many times I've heard me dad tell stories about how the sox pitching staff with Hoyt and Bannister and Dotson caught fire right after I was born and they had a huge second half. Not that I had anything to do with it, but I still think it's cool.

voodoochile
02-25-2002, 11:34 PM
If you are going to mess with the lineup then the answer to me seems obvious... Move Frank to second and then reinstitute last years lineup behind him...

Looks like this

Lofton
Frank
Magglio
Konerko
Valentin
Durham
lee
Alomar
Clayton

The 5-6-7 hitters could be moved around as necessary, but I like the present lineup better with Durham batting second.

RichH55
02-26-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If you are going to mess with the lineup then the answer to me seems obvious... Move Frank to second and then reinstitute last years lineup behind him...

Looks like this

Lofton
Frank
Magglio
Konerko
Valentin
Durham
lee
Alomar
Clayton

The 5-6-7 hitters could be moved around as necessary, but I like the present lineup better with Durham batting second.

I really don't like the look of Frank out of the 3 hole, especially the 2 hole

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 06:05 AM
I don't know about putting the Slowest Man In Professional Sports at the top of the lineup.

I think Tom prince holds the title of the slowest man in baseball. I'll take walnts in that race.

"I ran good with a beer in my hand in Minnesota"