PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the scouts on Sox prospects

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Scouts: Which Sox prospects (including those who got called Sept. 1) do you believe are ready to compete for - and have a shot to win - full-time MLB jobs in 2007 (starting position player or starting pitcher or reliever)?

For purposes of this exercise, let's disregard how KW/Ozzie assesses each guy and let's also ignore who might be blocking their path on the Sox major league roster.

Thanks, as always, for any and all insights you can provide.

Britt Burns
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I think Sweeney will be in left at the beginning of next year, and while we can probably expect a tough learning curve similar to BA this year, he is going to be a good one-and soon.

I would also imagine that Haeger will be on the staff in a middle/long relief role and a top candidate to be the fifth starter until KW and Ozzie aren't too freaked out by running a knuckleballer out to the mound.

Randar68
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Who is "ready"?

Josh Fields is ready, but Crede is at 3rd.

Sweeney MAY BE ready, but another year in AAA wouldn't hurt him, IMO.

Some of the guys like Tracey could be relievers on some teams, but maybe not on a contender. Boone Logan may be a viable Loogy.

Again, in an organization not likely to contend in 2007, Lance Broadway would be a viable option in the rotation.

Casey Rogowski might make a roster in a lesser organization as well.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Who is "ready"?

Sweeney MAY BE ready, but another year in AAA wouldn't hurt him, IMO.

Some of the guys like Tracey could be relievers on some teams, but maybe not on a contender. Boone Logan may be a viable Loogy.

Again, in an organization not likely to contend in 2007, Lance Broadway would be a viable option in the rotation.

Casey Rogowski might make a roster in a lesser organization as well.

This is the kind of info I was seeking. It's still too bad that the Sox don't have any middle infield prospects (other than Valido, who fell like a rock this year).

Could Broadway be a viable option to apprentice for 2007 in the Sox bullpen?

maurice
09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
It's still too bad that the Sox don't have any middle infield prospects

There are a handful of guys who can handle 2B or SS defensively and who have flashed some offensive skills, but it's hard to rate any of them highly until and unless they hit the ball consistently well in AA or AAA.

Randar68
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I completely forgot to add Chris Stewart to the list. I would prefer to see him get another season of AB's in AAA but he could be the back-up to AJ next year and is well suited for that role in the long-run.

caulfield12
09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
This is the kind of info I was seeking. It's still too bad that the Sox don't have any middle infield prospects (other than Valido, who fell like a rock this year).

Could Broadway be a viable option to apprentice for 2007 in the Sox bullpen?

I would prefer for someone like Tracey, Phillips or Haeger to fill this role, or maybe even Hermanson, because I think he's a great presence in the clubhouse.

Broadway is our best pitching prospect and would seem to be better off starting in AAA. The whole McCarthy in the bullpen apprenticeship has not exactly been a great success, especially recently. I'm not sure how much he has been helped by pitching 80 or so big league innings as opposed to 130-150 minor league, plus September.

Tragg
09-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Who is "ready"?

We need another bat in the lineup. How do we get him in there?
Give him some outfield work?

I hate to trade such a fine hitting prospect.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 06:17 AM
We need another bat in the lineup. How do we get him in there?
Give him some outfield work?

I hate to trade such a fine hitting prospect.

LF or trading Konerko or Crede, that's it.

And, if he or Sweeney play LF, they need to get a leadoff hitter for SS. Which would further decrease our overall team speed a notch, in all likelihood, because we're not going to be able to trade for Jose Reyes. More like Vizquel, Jimmy Rollins, Lugo or Michael Young, although I don't honestly see that last one happening, despite Hicks' ill-timed comments about team leadership and being more outspoken. Seems like Young is very similar to Konerko, Dye, Crede and Thome from a temperament standpoint. At this point, I'd be willing to go with Eckstein. Orlando Cabrera is another possibility.