PDA

View Full Version : Howard hits yet another homer

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 04:49 PM
To give the Phillies a 2-1 lead. That's 10 in the past 13 games. 53 on the season. 8 more to go for Maris' record.

Huff just tied it in the 8th.

One way or the other, I hope either the Phillies or Marlins win the WC. Both teams were given up for dead by their owners and front offices.

Doesn't seem fair the Padres make it two years in a row. Most people in America can't even name three players on that team.

Dan Mega
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
To give the Phillies a 2-1 lead. That's 10 in the past 13 games. 53 on the season. 8 more to go for Maris' record.

One way or the other, I hope either the Phillies or Marlins win the WC. Both teams were given up for dead by their owners and front offices.

Doesn't seem fair the Padres make it two years in a row. Most people in America can't even name three players on that team.

So? Should a team have to have big name players to make the playoffs?

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM

I didn't know Maris was a record holder. How many strikeouts does Contreras need to pass Carlton's record?

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't know Maris was a record holder. How many strikeouts does Contreras need to pass Carlton's record?

Obviously you're a fan of Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro. None of those guys are going to be voted into the HOF. So if they're not there, as far as I'm concerned, the baseball writers and public opinion have spoken, even if Selig and Mitchell never do.

I prefer Frank Thomas or Ryan Howard myself.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
So? Should a team have to have big name players to make the playoffs?

Maybe not that, but a team should be at least 10 games over .500.

I know, I'm going to hear about the Minnesota Twins, 1997 Indians, all the WC teams, all the teams in the NCAA basketball tournament that pull off upsets that are seeded 11th and below.

Houston loses their 12-0 consecutive winning streak against the Phillies and loses 3-2 to a walkoff Utley homer.
Our old pal Rick White gets the victory in relief. 1 GB in WC, could be 0.5 if SD loses, with the Marlins ONLY one back. WOW.

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Obviously you're a fan of Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro. None of those guys are going to be voted into the HOF. So if they're not there, as far as I'm concerned, the baseball writers and public opinion have spoken, even if Selig and Mitchell never do.

I prefer Frank Thomas or Ryan Howard myself.

I'm not a fan of Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, Sosa, McGwire, and Palmeiro. I enjoyed watching Bonds and Canseco for a while, but that's the extent of it. I absolutely don't endorse their cheating. But guess what? Bonds holds the record. When Bonds set the new record, he broke Mark McGwire's record.

Roger Maris doesn't hold the record anymore.

I don't care what your so-called public opinion says. Bonds hit a ****load of homeruns and a ****load more than your so-called record holder. Public opinion put an asterisk by Maris' name because he had 8 more games than Ruth. Perhaps you think Ruth is the record holder...

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe not that, but a team should be at least 10 games over .500.

I know, I'm going to hear about the Minnesota Twins, 1997 Indians, all the WC teams, all the teams in the NCAA basketball tournament that pull off upsets that are seeded 11th and below.

Houston loses their 12-0 consecutive winning streak against the Phillies and loses 3-2 to a walkoff Utley homer.
Our old pal Rick White gets the victory in relief. 1 GB in WC, could be 0.5 if SD loses, with the Marlins ONLY one back. WOW.

That's it! Let's make Caulfield baseball commissioner. He can decide which records he wants to count, which teams he wants to let into the playoffs! It'll be awesome.

Maybe he and Shoota can form a joint committee to decide what Crede's batting average REALLY is.

Chips
09-04-2006, 06:33 PM
That's it! Let's make Caulfield baseball commissioner. He can decide which records he wants to count, which teams he wants to let into the playoffs! It'll be awesome.

Maybe he and Shoota can form a joint committee to decide what Crede's batting average REALLY is.

:rolling:

Barry Bonds holds the record for most home runs in a season, I don't see what is so difficult about understanding that.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
:rolling:

Barry Bonds holds the record for most home runs in a season, I don't see what is so difficult about understanding that.

Then if it is the record, why is his HR ball worth so much less? You don't think investors and speculators haven't priced in the fact that there's a 75% chance it will be wiped out?

And I guess you still consider Giambi the 2000 MVP over Thomas, even though he admittedly cheated?

Chips
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Then if it is the record, why is his HR ball worth so much less? You don't think investors and speculators haven't priced in the fact that there's a 75% chance it will be wiped out?

And I guess you still consider Giambi the 2000 MVP over Thomas, even though he admittedly cheated?

So now the value of a baseball determines who holds the home run record.

Giambi won the award and since nobody took it away, he still has it.

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Let's see if you can guess what my answers to both of these questions will be.

Chips
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Let's see if you can guess what my answers to both of these questions will be.

The same as mine?

The Dude
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
The same as mine?

Yeah but didn't you know when people don't like a player, their record doesn't exist? :rolleyes:

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
The same as mine?

Oh come on Chips, let him guess. You ruined the fun:(:

Oh well, he was probably going to give a bull**** guess anyway.

Like "bananas!"

Soxfanspcu11
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM

I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning that since Bond's HR ball is worth less, that that means he is not the true record holder.

However, I do agree that Marris is the true record holder, because he did it without cheating. There really is nothing else to say about it, no need to get into what the definition of "cheating" is. Yes I know that players back in the day used ampetamines and jellybeans, and certain pitchers used spitballs and blah blah blah.

To me it comes down to judgement, simply using your head and proper discretion. And that being the case, Sosa, McGwire and Bonds have nothing to do with the record. If Howard beats 61, he is the record holder.

RKMeibalane
09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
That's fifty four, folks. :cool:

SpartanSoxFan
09-07-2006, 10:52 PM
If he stays relatively hot and avoids any slumps from here on out, there is no reason why he shouldn't hit at least 60.

RKMeibalane
09-08-2006, 10:05 PM

FedEx227
09-09-2006, 12:35 AM
That Man Is A Beast!

Deuce
09-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't care what your so-called public opinion says. Bonds hit a ****load of homeruns and a ****load more than your so-called record holder.Public opinion didn't testify to "unknowingly" taking a ****load of illegal, performance-enhancing substances before a so-called Grand Jury. Bonds did. That to me is enough to put his home-run record under question.

To be honest, who gives a rat's ass who holds the record. Records are made to be broken, but the fact that you once held the record speaks for itself. Ruth was amazing for his time. So was Marris. Bonds is amazing too... it is amazing he can still stand with that giant head of his. Jeez, the guy's neck must be made of titanium!!!

Deuce

slobes
09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
This guy seems to hit at least one a night. Simply amazing.

BNLSox
09-09-2006, 05:33 AM
If his current tear continues I'm not sure Bonds' record is safe. I hope he hits two a night for the next few days and has a shot at it!!

IlliniSox4Life
09-09-2006, 05:36 AM
If his current tear continues I'm not sure Bonds' record is safe. I hope he hits two a night for the next few days and has a shot at it!!

Itll be very hard for him to even make a run at it this year, but I wouldn't doubt if in the next year or so he makes a serious run at it. This kid seems to be able to hit any pitch out, even if its 3 feet out of the strike zone.

WSox597
09-09-2006, 09:31 AM
I hope this kid gets it, and even hope he beats the steroid trio. It's good to see such a talent at an early age, imagine what he could do during his career if he stays healthy. The sky is the limit.

There used to be an asterisk next to Roger Maris' name because of the difference in the number of games played, him vs. Ruth. Perhaps there needs to be an asterisk next to Bonds, et al, as enhanced vs unenhanced. It'll never happen in this land of "that depends on what is, is.", but it should.

Chips
09-09-2006, 12:02 PM
There used to be an asterisk next to Roger Maris' name because of the difference in the number of games played, him vs. Ruth. Perhaps there needs to be an asterisk next to Bonds, et al, as enhanced vs unenhanced. It'll never happen in this land of "that depends on what is, is.", but it should.

There was no asterisk next to Maris' name. There were two seperate records, one for a 154 game season and one for a 162 game season.

fquaye149
09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Public opinion didn't testify to "unknowingly" taking a ****load of illegal, performance-enhancing substances before a so-called Grand Jury. Bonds did. That to me is enough to put his home-run record under question.

To be honest, who gives a rat's ass who holds the record. Records are made to be broken, but the fact that you once held the record speaks for itself. Ruth was amazing for his time. So was Marris. Bonds is amazing too... it is amazing he can still stand with that giant head of his. Jeez, the guy's neck must be made of titanium!!!

Deuce

Sure but weren't you guys the same ones bitching about ESPN's coverage of Bonds' "breaking Ruth's record" of 714 earlier this season?

You can't have it both ways....

bigfoot
09-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning that since Bond's HR ball is worth less, that that means he is not the true record holder.

However, I do agree that Marris is the true record holder, because he did it without cheating. There really is nothing else to say about it, no need to get into what the definition of "cheating" is. Yes I know that players back in the day used ampetamines and jellybeans, and certain pitchers used spitballs and blah blah blah.

To me it comes down to judgement, simply using your head and proper discretion. And that being the case, Sosa, McGwire and Bonds have nothing to do with the record. If Howard beats 61, he is the record holder.

I love revisionist history!:dtroll:

WSox597
09-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Chips
There was no asterisk next to Maris' name

You're right, it turns out to be an urban legend. I thought all these years that there was an actual asterisk. When I looked it up to be sure, I found this out. Good call.

From Wikipedia:

Baseball commissioner Ford Frick announced that unless Ruth's record was broken in the first 154 games of the season, the new record would be shown in the record books as having been set in 162 games while the previous record set in 154 games would also be shown. It is an urban legend, probably invented by New York sportswriter Dick Young, that an asterisk would be used to distinguish the new record.

Murphy10
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
It is just falt out spectacular to watch what he does.

palehozenychicty
09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Hit 57 today, as the Phils sweep the Stros, who definitely will not return to the postseason. Now the Phils are a game behind the Dodgers, who fell to the Padres today. If Howard can carry them into the postseason, wow. :o: