PDA

View Full Version : Boston has a new curse "Curse of the Grackle"

Fenway
09-04-2006, 01:29 PM
This thing is taking hold thanks to WEEI and Dirt Dog :angry:

BDD Called It Way Back on Aug. 2: Bird Was BAD OMEN (http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2006/08/bad_omen_sox_ea.html)
Sox Are 8-21 Since the Bad Luck Bird (http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=16473&webtag=bc-redsox) Limped Onto the Scene
Seth Mnookin: Introducing the Curse of the Gimpy Crow (http://www.sethmnookin.com/blog/2006/08/31/introducing-the-curse-of-the-gimpy-crow/)
Eric Wilbur (Aug. 16): Bird's 'Eerie Significance' (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/08/16/over_and_out/index.html)

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_8.1_blackbird.jpg

Jerry_Manuel
09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
I read BDD because I find it funny, but this is silly.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I read BDD because I find it funny, but this is silly.

Is that like the Kraken in Pirarates of the Caribbean?

It doesn't exactly roll off one's tongue, does it?

Jerry_Manuel
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM

I suppose not, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.

batmanZoSo
09-04-2006, 01:39 PM

No, pirarates doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. :tongue:

This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a Sox fan. For 88 years, we just had one curse--the curse of sucking. No BS like that. :wink:

PaulDrake
09-04-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not directing this toward Fenway, only what I perceive to be the attitude of a lot of Red Sox fans. You live in an area where baseball is king, and play in a place that exudes history in a way cub fans wish their park did. So you traded Babe Ruth, and you went 86 years without a WS victory. We went 88 without same. Despite that long lag between championships, your team won 4 pennants, fielded many fine teams which included some all time greats like Williams, Pesky, Yaz, Lynn, Rice, Fisk, Clemens, Pedro and a few others. Lighten up and enjoy life and the mostly good baseball your Red Sox have provided you. Does that dour attitude of the Pilgrims still permeate in the New England air? I'm just a sawdust on the floor, shot and a beer rust belt guy so what would I know?

The Racehorse
09-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm not directing this toward Fenway, only what I perceive to be the attitude of a lot of Red Sox fans. You live in an area where baseball is king, and play in a place that exudes history in a way cub fans wish their park did. So you traded Babe Ruth, and you went 86 years without a WS victory. We went 88 without same. Despite that long lag between championships, your team won 4 pennants, fielded many fine teams which included some all time greats like Williams, Pesky, Yaz, Lynn, Rice, Fisk, Clemens, Pedro and a few others. Lighten up and enjoy life and the mostly good baseball your Red Sox have provided you. Does that dour attitude of the Pilgrims still permeate in the New England air? I'm just a sawdust on the floor, shot and a beer rust belt guy so what would I know?

... PD, sounds like you know allot...

... fenway, will your Sox fans ever just relax? ["Curse of the Grackle"? ... LOL]

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey, don't forget Ellis Burks and Mike Greenwell, lol.

Dwight Evans should have been included on your list, though.

MarySwiss
09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I believe we already discussed this. IIRC, Fens, you said the bird had been killed by a hawk, and I suggested a ritual killing of the hawk and then making spaghetti sauce out of the remains.

So what's the difficulty?

buehrle4cy05
09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a Sox fan. For 88 years, we just had one curse--the curse of sucking. No BS like that. :wink:

BFC's definition of a curse:

curse (n): An excuse used by fans when they can't admit that their team sucked for an extended period of time.

VenturaFan23
09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
:whocares

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
What's the point of even having a "Talking Baseball" section then?

Can someone please explain. Most fans enjoy the sport in general, play Roto Leagues, are interested in what's going on around the league, etc.

It seems like every thread here has a "who cares?" or "what's the point?" response.

Well, why do the people who DON'T CARE go out of their way to care so LITTLE about this section of the website?

Or maybe I'll just starting responding "who cares?" to anything anyone says that doesn't have anything to do with the White Sox just to show how annoying it gets...

1951Campbell
09-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Does that dour attitude of the Pilgrims still permeate in the New England air?

Yes.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Quoth the Grackle, `Nevermore.':redneck

MarySwiss
09-04-2006, 04:42 PM
What's the point of even having a "Talking Baseball" section then?

Can someone please explain. Most fans enjoy the sport in general, play Roto Leagues, are interested in what's going on around the league, etc.

It seems like every thread here has a "who cares?" or "what's the point?" response.

Well, why do the people who DON'T CARE go out of their way to care so LITTLE about this section of the website?

Or maybe I'll just starting responding "who cares?" to anything anyone says that doesn't have anything to do with the White Sox just to show how annoying it gets...

Take a deep breath.

Okay, why are you getting so upset about people who post a "Who Cares" response? That's their opinion. It's not yours. So...why not just ignore it?

Justagirl
09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
you could just post a who cares sign to their who cares sign to express that you dont care if they care.

VenturaFan23
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Take a deep breath.

Okay, why are you getting so upset about people who post a "Who Cares" response? That's their opinion. It's not yours. So...why not just ignore it?

Thank you. Just my opinion, nothing more. I'm so sick of hearing about the only reason teams, like Boston and the Cubs, start to stink because of supposed curses. Just get over it. Yeah, Boston has injury problems, but it's not because of some ridiculous curse. :rolleyes:

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
We're about to have one of our own, the "Curse of the Stubborn Manager"

Fenway
09-05-2006, 03:29 PM

I think part of it is the Summer of 2006 has just been horrible in Boston overall between the Big Dig collapse, the weather and other things that I won't bore you with and the Red Sox were our escape hatch from all of this and they wind up having 6 weeks from hell that ended with Lester having cancer :whiner:

so ya there is the Calvins and the Pilgrims in the air :?:

and today Boston being Boston there is hope in the air, as the Olde Towne Team has a slight pulse.........