PDA

View Full Version : KC wrap-up

salty99
09-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Since I'm too depressed from another Sox loss I won't talk about the Sox, but I must say Kauffman is pretty decent stadium that I would visit again. They have a pretty good food variety and is very kid friendly. I'll say it's like a mix of a minor league and major league atmosphere. Tickets and parking are relatively cheap ($12 for the outfield), but food is the same prices as the Cell. Standing behind the fountains as they shot off was pretty cool and the best part of the park. They also have a large kids area that isn't concrete but has lots of trees and picnic tables with batting cages, speed pitch, mini-golf, and mini-field. However you can't see the action from there. The video board needs to replacement desperately, it is not good quality, but they do show alot of replays.

Oh yeah there was no BP today except from a little league team. However without really trying I got Sweeney's and Logan's autos and a World Series ball from Art K. Sweeney was out there for a long, long time signing and seeming like he really didn't know what to do with himself.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 10:26 PM
They also have a large kids area that isn't concrete but has lots of trees and picnic tables with batting cages, speed pitch, mini-golf, and mini-field.

Do they have a "Race Emil Brown" game?

salty99
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Do they have a "Race Emil Brown" game?

sadly no...hehe....all the ushers and vendors were very friendly too.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Thank you for representing in KC. It's great to see Sox fans on TV during road games.

Iggster
09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was probably standing right next to you when you got Sweeny's and Logans autographs. Wore my Grey Jenks jersey for game 3 ;)

Day 1 was Black AJ jersey, Day 2, was Whtie (with black sleeves) Mark Buehrle Jersey :)

P.S. Geogre Brett's in the CCP ROCKED friday night :)

Iggster
09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Oh ya we made the drive in about 7 hours each way :)

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was probably standing right next to you when you got Sweeny's and Logans autographs. Wore my Grey Jenks jersey for game 3 ;)

Day 1 was Black AJ jersey, Day 2, was Whtie (with black sleeves) Mark Buehrle Jersey :)

P.S. Geogre Brett's in the CCP ROCKED friday night :)

Only tourists call it the CCP. I don't think a native KC person has ever called it the Country Club Plaza, lol, not that I've ever heard in 10 years living here.

Although I do say LSD for Lake Shore Drive, is that allowed for a tourist?

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Oh ya we made the drive in about 7 hours each way :)

Were you driving 100 MPH?

Seriously, I live in the Quad Cities and the fastest I've ever gotten home (no stops, no break, bathroom, gas) is a little under 5 hours. That's averaging about 80 MPH.

You must have been flying, and live far to the West Suburbs along I-88 or I-80.

C-Dawg
09-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you for representing in KC. It's great to see Sox fans on TV during road games.

There were a ton of Sox fans there. Like myself; the three-day weekend was too good to pass up.

I had been there once before, in 1999. I remembered it as a "big minor-league park", and that impression still holds. I noticed in the scorecard magazine that they are soliciting ideas for renovations, so it looks like there will be changes coming. Better scoreboards were mentioned earlier in this thread.

I took a ton of pics and will post a few to the Gallery tomorrow.

Iggster
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Were you driving 100 MPH?

Seriously, I live in the Quad Cities and the fastest I've ever gotten home (no stops, no break, bathroom, gas) is a little under 5 hours. That's averaging about 80 MPH.

You must have been flying, and live far to the West Suburbs along I-88 or I-80.

Well with stopping it was 8 hours. (But that was 2 stops, 1 after 3 hours, and then once in Springfield IL to stop at h00ters for dinner) ;)

maurice
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Geogre Brett's in the CCP ROCKED friday night

It's a nice-looking place. I stopped by during the game on Saturday, and every TV was tuned to the KC preseason game. This is an excellent example of the Royal's status in town. Even a restaurant named after a Royal's icon doesn't want to show the game.

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
It's a nice-looking place. I stopped by during the game on Saturday, and every TV was tuned to the KC preseason game. This is an excellent example of the Royal's status in town. Even a restaurant named after a Royal's icon doesn't want to show the game.

After the Royals' pen surrendered a 5-1 Luke Hudson lead in the 8th by giving up something like 11 runs, I wouldn't want the games on either...unless they're playing the White Sox or Twins.

For some reason, the "mystique" of the Yankees always catches up to Royals leads in late innings. They play them well, but never can finish the deal.

Makes our failed comeback from Friday night more grating, though. We could have delivered the knockout punch and then gone on to sweep the series...then again, sweep-White Sox-2nd half, not in the same sentence usually.

luckylyndy
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Sweeney was such a nice guy-kissing the babies-he is Iowa born and raised seemed very down to earth and surprised people wanted his autograph.
I told him he mother was proud and he blushed and laughed. I was so happy to see "him" do well last night.

I was with my 3 kids so the price was great-stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street. Would do it again. The ride was long with 3 kids but it was worth it-

PS My husband had the sign "We drove 568 miles to the Sox in" that was the only game they won

maurice
09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Sweeney always went out early to sign autographs in Tucson, but hardly anybody knew who he was. Maybe that'll change next spring.