PDA

View Full Version : The 'What If' Theory....

soxinem1
09-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I see this year my old friend The 'What If' theory has returned.

This theory has been around for awhile, and has reared it's ugly head again.

In 1982, the Sox team defense was so bad, some columnist back then actually said something like: 'If they'd have made just 15 fewer errors in key situations, they would have won at least another 10 games, and the division. Hmmm.

In 1983, we had the 'What If' theory regarding Dybzinski over-running second. If he does not do that, the Sox could have scored a run with the next batter, won the game 1-0, and LaMarr Hoyt would have surely beat the Orioles the next game, and the Sox go to the World Series. Hmmmmmm.

In 1993, it was lamented that if the Sox had won a couple playoff home games, they would have went to the World Series. Hmmmmmmmm.

In 2000, if the offense just hits like it can, they could hold off Seattle if they just get the game, with a lead, to the bullpen and Keith Foulke. We had a lead in every game. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In 2003, the Tigers achieved eight of their 43 wins against the White Sox, nearly 20% of their season win total. In fact all year the Sox had problems beating losing teams. If the Sox had won just four games against the Tigers, or any other scrub team that beat them, they win the Central.

What if, what if, what if.......

To me, saying 'what if' is just a cop out. Every team in pro sports can use the 'what if' theory. Even the announcers are using the 'what if' stuff all the time.

Oh hey, even I have used the 'what if' theory on many occasions with this team, and other things in my life, but as I have gotten older I have realized that you just wrack your brain saying 'what if'.

Winning teams make their own breaks, like the 2005 team. If this team is to repeat, they will have to do the same.

It's time to just deal with the remainder of the season as it progresses.

I think it is time to acknowledge that the fate of the season rests on what happens from here on out.

QCIASOXFAN
09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Lifes a Garden, dig it. Go Sox.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2006, 01:27 AM
I think it is time to acknowledge that the fate of the season rests on what happens from here on out.Brilliant. I'd have never thought of that.:rolleyes:

soxinem1
09-04-2006, 06:33 AM
Brilliant. I'd have never thought of that.:rolleyes:

You'd think it was that basic, but too many posts regarding this season keep asking why and what if about this season.

slobes
09-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Lifes a Garden, dig it. Go Sox.

Just keep on keepin' on.