PDA

View Full Version : Morneau hates Sox

bluestar
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Justin Morneau on the White Sox:

"I just want to win and I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs," Morneau said. "That's all that matters. Obviously we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago." (emphasis mine)

I wonder if this is how the Twins' management feels, too? I am very surprised that any player on any team would make such a statement, especially considering that they are still very much in the race for both the Wild Card and the division.

EDIT: source of the quote: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060903&content_id=1643367&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

QCIASOXFAN
09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I think I know who is next on the Ozzie Guillen hit list.:thumbsup:

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM

"I just want to win and I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs," Morneau said. "That's all that matters. Obviously we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago." (emphasis mine)

I wonder if this is how the Twins' management feels, too? I am very surprised that any player on any team would make such a statement, especially considering that they are still very much in the race for both the Wild Card and the division.

EDIT: source of the quote: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060903&content_id=1643367&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Jim Hendry...lol. They gave up Nevin for nothing, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he can come back to help knock the Sox out of the playoffs and make things a little less tense on the Northside heading into next season with Girardi or Piniella as the new manager and being able to sell Prior and Wood one more season to the fanbase.

CHISOXFAN13
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Jealousy sure is a bitch, isn't it Justin?

Chips
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Jealousy sure is a bitch, isn't it Justin?

I can't wait until we beat these miserable bastards and send them packing.

chisoxmike
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I can't wait until we beat these miserable bastards and send them packing.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I hate the Twins more than any other team in sports.

WinTwins
09-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty weird thing to say by Morneau. You'd think his main concern is his own team, and it surely is, but with a microphone in front of him is the wrong time to say something so potentially imflammatory. I doubt that management shares those feelings. I get the impression that Gardy and Ozzie are actually pretty good buddies.

beckett21
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
If I didn't hate the Twins so much, I'd probably really like them a lot. :D:

The Sox should be flattered, actually.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
And Hawk has nothing but the highest praise for Morneau. This season just gets weirder and weirder.

TheOldRoman
09-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Just more of the Twins organization showing its inferiority complex towards the Sox. More of the same ****.
The only thing this quote needs is the Twins standby "The Sox need to stop talking about us and worrying about us. They always talk trash, but we don't care about them.":rolleyes:

WSox597
09-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I like the mosquitos in Minnesota better than any of their damn sports teams...

I'd love to see the Sox beat them at the last minute just to see the look on Gardengnome's ferret face when they lose.

And how about Hawk stop worshipping this guy? It's sickening already.

Chips
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM

I hate them too, but not as much as Illinois or Michigan.

beckett21
09-03-2006, 06:18 PM

At least we agree on Michigan. :D:

A friend of mine blacked out the state of Michigan on his road atlas with a black sharpie so that he would never even be tempted to venture there. :cool:

Juice16
09-03-2006, 06:20 PM

How you can hate a team from you own state I'll never know (cub fans make them a special exception), any way, the Twins have jumped to the top of my hate list as well.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I like the mosquitos in Minnesota better than any of their damn sports teams...

I'd love to see the Sox beat them at the last minute just to see the look on Gardengnome's ferret face when they lose.

And how about Hawk stop worshipping this guy? It's sickening already.

Don't forget Mauer, Cy Punto and the Two Jason's.
Or maybe just The 3 Jasons.

And Nathan. And the Twins' bullpen in general.
And Liriano. And Radke. And Santana.

In fact, Hawk and Ozzie could be one in the same with their fawning.

MarySwiss
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM

No doubt! I decided that in the unlikely event that we miss the playoffs, I'm going with Oakland, just because the other choices are completely unacceptable.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:22 PM
How you can hate a team from you own state I'll never know (cub fans make them a special exception), any way, the Twins have jumped to the top of my hate list as well.

It's harder to hate the Tigers (I know, I-Rod, Zumaya, Monroe, Magglio) when they're experiencing the same thing as we did last year. I think we have more empathy for them...

And Twins have been our rival for a five year period, and they won the WS in 1987 and 1991.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
No doubt! I decided that in the unlikely event that we miss the playoffs, I'm going with Oakland, just because the other choices are completely unacceptable.

Absolutely not, then we'll be subjected to another BB book about his "great" signing of Esteban Loiaza and his incredibly daring trades of Hudson and Mulder, not to mention his insightful drafting of Street.

And that Nick Swisher dude just irritates me, he's more cocky than Colin Farrell and Jerry Jones combined. Plus, his dad's an ex-Cub.

chisoxmike
09-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I hate everything about the Twins. Their team, players, fans, stadium, city and state they play in.

While I don't like the Tigers, (obvisouly) they are not on my hated teams list. That list is reserved for the Twins, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, and Yankees.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
I hate everything about the Twins. Their team, players, fans, stadium, city and state they play in.

While I don't like the Tigers, (obvisouly) they are not on my hated teams list. That list is reserved for the Twins, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, and Yankees.

Why would you hate the Indians?

Wedge is Jerry Mauel in disguise. Let's hope they keep him around longer.

And they haven't won a WS in how many years? I can't hate them, it's not in me.

The Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees. Sure. The Tigers, mild dislike, not hate...respect for their rebuilding. The Twins, yes....but I can manage to respect what they've done at the same time I despise they're everything the White Sox SHOULD be as a team.

We WERE the Twins last year. We're back to being the White Sox of 00-04..favorites, big budget, leading MLB in runs and RBI's and homers. I prefer the 2005 underdog, overlooked, underappreciated, grinding, fundamentally-sound, aggressive, blue collar White Sox.

Just like the 1990 White Sox. Both teams are what White Sox baseball has traditionally been all about.

Chips
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
It's pretty easy.

The Twins can go to hell too.

fquaye149
09-03-2006, 06:52 PM
It's pretty easy.

The Twins can go to hell too.

I love how he says "how can you hate a team from your own state" and then goes on to say how he hates the Cubs.

DickAllen72
09-03-2006, 06:57 PM

"I just want to win and I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs," Morneau said. "That's all that matters. Obviously we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago."

I'm crushed.

PKalltheway
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I can't stand the mother****ing Twins. They can ****ing rot for all I care. I hate everything about them. Even when the Indians were making their furious charge at us last year I obviously hated it, but I said to myself "at least it isn't the Twins who are doing this." I just want those bastards to pull a '64 Phillies and lose 10 games in a row. That would make me VERY, VERY happy.:D:

TheOldRoman
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I can't stand the mother****ing Twins. They can ****ing rot for all I care. I hate everything about them. Even when the Indians were making their furious charge at us last year I obviously hated it, but I said to myself "at least it isn't the Twins who are doing this." I just want those bastards to pull a '64 Phillies and lose 10 games in a row. That would make me VERY, VERY happy.:D:
That would be good, but you know very well that the Sox would go 3-7 over that stretch.:angry:

Chips
09-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I love how he says "how can you hate a team from your own state" and then goes on to say how he hates the Cubs.

The irony is overwhelming.

Chips
09-03-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm going with the Yankees.

And what is with your location?

monkeypants
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm crushed.
I'm teal.

hi im skot
09-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Don't forget Mauer, Cy Punto and the Two Jason's.
Or maybe just The 3 Jasons.

And Nathan. And the Twins' bullpen in general.
And Liriano. And Radke. And Santana.

In fact, Hawk and Ozzie could be one in the same with their fawning.

Well, I'll give him Mauer...I'd kill to have that guy on our team.

gbergman
09-03-2006, 07:35 PM
**** justin Mourneau that ***

Juice16
09-03-2006, 07:44 PM

I don't hate the Cubs, its the fans.

DrCrawdad
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Just more of the Twins organization showing its inferiority complex towards the Sox. More of the same ****.
The only thing this quote needs is the Twins standby "The Sox need to stop talking about us and worrying about us. They always talk trash, but we don't care about them.":rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth!

beckett21
09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
It's harder to hate the Tigers (I know, I-Rod, Zumaya, Monroe, Magglio) when they're experiencing the same thing as we did last year. I think we have more empathy for them...

And Twins have been our rival for a five year period, and they won the WS in 1987 and 1991.
Maybe I'm softening in my old age, but I respect the hell out of the Twins' franchise. They know how to develop players, and they play the game the way it is supposed to be played. Ozzie is dead-on in his assessment of them.

Year after year, the Twins make the most out of the least. Pohlad gives them nothing to work with, yet they continue to field a competetive team. They are the Marlins of the A.L.--they thumb their noses up to ownership every season and compete in spite of them.

Screw the Tigers. Ilitch spends money like he's printing it. Poor personnel decisions doomed that team for the past 20 years. Bobby Higginson, Dean Palmer, Juan Gonzalez, et. al. **** I-Rod, **** Maggs, **** all of them. I have no sympathy for that franchise whatsoever. It's not hard for me to hate them. Just because they have been the laughingstock of MLB for 20 years doesn't give them a free pass in my book.

I will say that I have a lot of respect for Jim Leyland, and I give him a lot of credit for righting the ship over there. Outside of Leyland, I couldn't care less if the Detroit Tigers' organization ever won another game.

While some of the Twins need to learn how to ****, I think it is pretty funny how they like to take jabs at the Sox. Obviously they respect our team too, or else they wouldn't even bother. It's a love/hate relationship. :D:

DickAllen72
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm teal.

You should see a doctor about that.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Speaking of Beckett, are we facing him Wednesday?

He's been pretty good recently.

The Tigers seemed well positioned to compete over the long-term, although I-Rod, Guillen and Ordonez all seem to be declining.

Will be interesting to see how much money they're willing to give Craig Monroe.

If Miller becomes another stud in their rotation, they could be tough to stop.

The White Sox are really lacking in that "ace pitcher" category. The Tigers have two and the Twins have two (w/ Liriano healthy).

Frater Perdurabo
09-03-2006, 09:18 PM
The only team from Minnesota that I ever cared for had to leave Minnesota before I ever could like them - the Dallas Stars.

I hate the Twins more than I hate the Cubs (although I hate Cub fans far more).

I hate the Vikings more than I hate the Packers.

Let's hope the Sox give Morneau six more reasons to hate them during the last weekend of the season - three losses and three festering welts from Jenks/MacDougal/Thornton fastballs to the groin.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Then he'll end up like Michael Barrett...ouch!

beckett21
09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Speaking of Beckett, are we facing him Wednesday?

The Sox will miss him. He pitched today, gave up 3 runs in 5 innings in a losing effort.

My disdain for the Tigers probably stems for my dislike/absolute hatred of the U of Michigan; and the Pistons, going back to the Laimbeer/Mahorn days.

Besides that, ma-gaga is one of my favorite posters here. That has to count for something. :redneck

santo=dorf
09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I thought about starting a discussion on this back when we were playing them, but it is very Hangar/cub fan-like.

I was going to ask if the Twins and their fans are obsessed with the White Sox. They still talk about the stuff Durham, Foulke (or was it Howry?,) and Koch said about the Twins, and their attendance always sky rockets when the Sox are in town (also due to Sox fans making the trip.) Gardenhire sets up his rotation so Santana faces the Sox, and I recall seeing some soft garbage lineups late last year when the Twins were playing the Indians.

I remember a couple of years ago Farmer and Rooney talking about how much the radio announcers for the Twins hate the Sox. I guess they always brought up when the Sox were losing and always joking about it.

Ma-gaga, can you add anything to this?

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I know Blyleven really is disdainful of the style of baseball the White Sox played in 2000-04. Whenever the Twins are playing well, he gets in as many digs as possible at the White Sox. He doesn't fawn over them like Harrelson, but he has a healthy respect for the middle of our order, I would say.

He'd also always go out of his way to say how one dimensional we were and rip on our defense and lack of speed.

But he was right.

And then there was the inevitable 1987 and 1991 comebacks when we would taunt them about their lack of playoff success (until last year, lol).

Lip Man 1
09-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Personally I LOVE the hatred. It shows that SOB gives a damn doesn't it?

I'd LOVE for the Sox to feel the same way against those guys, they'd play better.

The Sox of the 50's and 60's respected the Yankees but couldn't stand their arrogance and they took it out on them when they played them, maybe that's why they were the only team in the league to consistently give New York fits season after season.

I wish the God the Sox of today had that same hatred.

Lip

chisoxmike
09-03-2006, 10:47 PM

I'd LOVE for the Sox to feel the same way against those guys, they'd play better.

The Sox of the 50's and 60's respected the Yankees but couldn't stand their arrogance and they took it out on them when they played them, maybe that's why they were the only team in the league to consistently give New York fits season after season.

Lip

I agree. I can't stand it when Ozzie is praising the Twins every day. I wish the Sox would stand up for themselves every one in a while.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Just for fun, I sent the Morneau quote to Phil Rogers via e-mail.

Maybe it will end up in a story sometime, we need the team to get charged up about something. If it's an opponent NOT wanting us to make the playoffs, maybe that's motivation enough, lol? It shouldn't have to be for a defending WS winner, but this team is tricky.

The irony about this team is it's like Tiger Woods' golf swing.

If we happen, by some miracle, to win this whole thing again, then KW will again tear this team apart to come up with a better model than the one that's already assembled, because this certainly isn't what he wants. So we're looking at swing change 2 for the Sox, no matter what happens.

Pitching has gone from an 8+ to a 3, defense from 7 to 5.5 and speed from 9 to 5.

The only areas of any improvement are offensively, in terms of power numbers, but certainly not execution and fundamentals. Geez...you think OG would look up into LF and notice that big HUGE sign there every game the team takes the field for practice. Ring a bell?

Lip Man 1
09-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Like I said a few weeks ago there are two things the Twins have as 'goals' every season. Make the post-season or if they can't, prevent the White Sox from making it.

Lip

Paulwny
09-03-2006, 10:56 PM

Lip

The sox may have hated the yankmees. but if I remember correctly, just about every year, except for 59, it was like watching the lions(yankmees) vs the Christians (sox). The hatred wasn't evident in the won lost record.

chisoxmike
09-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Like I said a few weeks ago there are two things the Twins have as 'goals' every season. Make the post-season or if they can't, prevent the White Sox from making it.

Lip

The Twins franchise motto is something like "Destroy the White Sox."

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I thought it was "Come See the Amazing Carlos Silva Give Up 40 Dingers Despite Temporarily Losing His Starting Spot."

Sorry.

Patrick134
09-04-2006, 01:56 AM

Lip

If a sox player said that quote, you'd be angry at the sox player for giving the twins bulletin board fodder. not a doubt in my mind.

100 Year Itch
09-04-2006, 02:21 AM
If I didn't hate the Twins so much, I'd probably really like them a lot. :D:

The Sox should be flattered, actually.

Concur. The Twins are good for baseball. They are the quintessential example of a well run organization, from top to bottom. They allocate capital toward people who know the game-- opposed to allocating money toward a position player.

With that said, any chances the Pirates and Twins switch leagues?

JB98
09-04-2006, 03:30 AM
Justin Morneau hates us? Good. I hope everyone hates us. If everyone likes you, chances are you've never accomplished anything.

ma-gaga
09-04-2006, 03:59 AM
I was going to ask if the Twins and their fans are obsessed with the White Sox.
Gardenhire sets up his rotation so Santana faces the Sox, and I recall seeing some soft garbage lineups late last year when the Twins were playing the Indians.
Ma-gaga, can you add anything to this?

Basically, the shoe is on the other foot. From 2001-2004 the Twins beat the W.Sox with pitching, defense, and the occasional timely hit. And the W.Sox complained that the Twins weren't that good. The 2005 W.Sox 'out-Twinned' the Twins. They pitched better, they played better defense, and their hitting was timelier. And of course, the Twins complained that the W.Sox weren't that good... :cool:

So no, the majority of Twins fans don't obsess about the W.Sox, they have their own team, and manager and GM to obsess about. I mean, what other orginization would sign Tony Batista and truly expect him to hit 30 homeruns?!? Juan Castro as the starting SS?!? Burying Liriano in the bullpen until June? Shunting Bartlett back to AAA because of his perceivied lack of "leadership and urgency". You've got to be kidding me. So, no, the first priority is the hometown nine. After that, you can deal with whomever they are playing/chasing. You get some freaks, like what's his name, Timberwolf, who is psycho-crazy, but it would be stupid to believe that is a sampling of a 'typical Twins fan'.

I would look at Morneau's statement as a sign of respect. The W.Sox have the big target of being the defending champs. You have to beat the champs to become the Champs. Which is why I don't know if Detroit really is the best team out there, which is why I think the Twins have a fighting chance.

So yeah. I don't know if that answers any questions. But 'my team' pisses me off enough, that obsessing about another team seems like a complete waste.

and yes, that statement is a little ironic.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I've noticed with the Twins' fans that they are very critical of Mauer. Needs to hit for more power, stop hitting into DP's, stop dating Miss USA. It reminds me a little of the A-Rod situation, although obviously Mauer is more well-liked in Minnesota because he's a hometown boy.

They also get frustrated with Ryan for not ever making that "final move" that puts them over the top, even at the break. Holding onto the young players (especially) pitchers...by the time the pitchers mature, they're traded or unsignable and no more playoff appearances until the cycle is repeated.

I think it is a little bit ridiculous that Ryan KNEW Radke probably wasn't going to survive the season and went into this month with a kid who was pitching college ball a year ago, Boof Bonser and Carlos Silva as his starters. That's putting a lot on a young pitching staff that's never been through a pennant race. There were a number of veteran guys like Moyer and Wells available, and yet he was afraid to even trade a guy like Baker (because he has too much upside). Well, maybe Baker will come around (looked great against Yankees), but that still doesn't pacify those who want to win this season.

Next year, they'll probably replace Hunter w/ Tyner and wonder why they don't make the playoffs again...and pocket the money from the Radke and Hunter contracts, further lowering their payroll, lol.

SOXSINCE'70
09-04-2006, 09:55 AM
:whocares

It's too bad someone with all that talent is a ****ING TOOL!!

MarySwiss
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm going with the Yankees.

And what is with your location?

It's still Chandler, but I thought the Alsip thing was some kind of Drinking Team code--you know, like a secret handshake or something. And you were kind enough to make me a benchwarmer, remember? So I want to do my part, since you guys can't see me drink from over there.

BTW, did ya'll hear DJ give a shout-out to his kids back in Chandler, Ariz., during the game yesterday Chandler, YES!!!!

Lip Man 1
09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Patrick:

That's very good. I didn't know you were a mind reader. Can you tell me the scores of the next three days?

Paulny:

I only know the Sox were the only club from 1951 to 1964 to make them sweat every year and have to use all the considerable talent they had to win. You couldn't say that about the Red Sox, Tigers, Indians or Orioles could you?

From 2002 through 2004 the Twins finished above the Sox, they went to the post season three straight years which is something the Sox franchise has never done (hell the Sox haven't even done it twice...) and if the Sox don't wake up out of their coma the Twins will slap the crap out of them the final weekend and finish above them again.

Yea in athletics hate is a good thing. Again I wish the Sox had it out for the Twins, maybe they'd play them better.

Lip

JUribe1989
09-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Good for him, more fuel to the rivalry. There's nothing wrong with saying something like this. Ozzie said "**** the Cubs, I don't care about the Cubs," before our first interleague series. It's just fun, and Morneau is one of the best hitters in the American League.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM
The quotes is around baseball.

It was in the SunTimes as well today.

DeWayne mentioned it on the D-Rays broadcast today...they even put it as their GEICO quote of the day.

Then he proceeded to mention how Ozzie had provided bulletin board fodder for the majority of teams in baseball. Which you can't argue with...

fquaye149
09-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Patrick:

That's very good. I didn't know you were a mind reader. Can you tell me the scores of the next three days?

Pau

Lip

Oh gosh Lip, I've seen time and again posters on this board getting pissy or moany whenever a Sox player talked **** about the Twins. I don't remember if it were you, but I can't imagine you didn't say something like

"knowing the Twins, they'll use this as bulletin board material and sweep us right out of contention."

Kub_Killer_15
09-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Time to burn my program I got in Minnesota with Moureau on the cover:tongue:

FarWestChicago
09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Oh gosh Lip, I've seen time and again posters on this board getting pissy or moany whenever a Sox player talked **** about the Twins. I don't remember if it were you, but I can't imagine you didn't say something like

"knowing the Twins, they'll use this as bulletin board material and sweep us right out of contention.":roflmao:

Soul_bat
09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Nothing will...

From the Sun Times...

Justin Morneau on the playoffs " I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs. You'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago."

What's it gonna take to light a :angry: under this year's team??

Babe The Blue Ox
09-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I was going to ask if the Twins and their fans are obsessed with the White Sox.

Not really. Although I would say that relative to other MLB teams, yes.

They still talk about the stuff Durham, Foulke (or was it Howry?,) and Koch said about the Twins

Actually, you don't hear about any of those quotes nowadays. I think the Twins fans/media had something for Koch but that stemmed from his time with the As and the infamous "Booyah!"/AJ event in postseason 2002. You hear about Ozzie's quotes now, but that's because he can't stop talking about the Twins.

and their attendance always sky rockets when the Sox are in town (also due to Sox fans making the trip.)

I would not say that the Twins' attendance sky rockets with Sox games; it's higher for Yankees/Twins match-ups consistently over the years. I think that this year, though, the attendance has been good because it's a close race. I would like more White Sox fans to show at Twins games. The games at the Dome are a lot of fun when the visiting team's fans make a good showing. Takes one's mind away from the crappy atmosphere.

I remember a couple of years ago Farmer and Rooney talking about how much the radio announcers for the Twins hate the Sox. I guess they always brought up when the Sox were losing and always joking about it.

I would say that the Twins' radio and TV announcers do not joke about the Sox losing. They definitely keep track of what is going on in the DET and ChiSox games and how the outcome of those games affects the standings in the division and WC races.

I should note that in today's Twins' radio broadcast, Dan Gladden gave props to Jon Garland and his possible Cy Young candidacy.

caulfield12
09-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Don't forget the Jamie Burke-Torii Hunter takeout. And Torii Hunter has robbed homers against us on quite a few occasions...the one that stands out to me is the one he took from Carlos Lee.

The teams have been at or near the top of the division for 7 years in a row.

The Tigers' emergence is something of an anomaly...with the Indians the other team usually battling us.

Babe The Blue Ox
09-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Oh, yes, I forgot about the Hunter/Burke collision. Many Twins fans see that, though, as the turning point in Sox management: fashion a small ball team like the Twins have and beat them at their own game. I don't know who wrote that history or if that's really what happened, but I would say that sentiment exists.

RE: Koch, it didn't help that once the ChiSox got him he sucked it up.

I also recall at the end of 2004 Buehrle quotes re: Twins, but Ozzie publicly told him to **** (in so many words)

Frankly Missing
09-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Nothing will...

From the Sun Times...

Justin Morneau on the playoffs " I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs. You'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago."

Our manager drools over him, our TV announcer gushes like a schoolgirl over him.

What does he want? Konerko to serve him breakfast in bed? What a jealous, ungrateful putz.

Thome25
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Morneau needs to shut the **** up already. He's having a good year and that means he gets to run his mouth all the time?

My signature says it all. He's just jealous that we won it all last year and his tight-wad, small market Twinkies are struggling to get the wild card spot with that piece of crap rotation they have.

Besides the comments he made just recently, I think he said something earlier in the year to the effect of " Chicago got all the breaks last year" about our World Series run.

Yeah all of that clutch hitting, El Duque's magic act, and Four straight complete games was a gift from MLB and the umpires.

Do what you do best Morneau. Play first base for the team that nobody cares about, in a state that nobody cares about, in that piece of crap baggy-dome that nobody cares about. Oh and one other thing: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Morneau needs to shut the **** up already. He's having a good year and that means he gets to run his mouth all the time?

My signature says it all. He's just jealous that we won it all last year and his tight-wad, small market Twinkies are struggling to get the wild card spot with that piece of crap rotation they have.

Besides the comments he made just recently, I think he said something earlier in the year to the effect of " Chicago got all the breaks last year" about our World Series run.

Yeah all of that clutch hitting, El Duque's magic act, and Four straight complete games was a gift from MLB and the umpires.

Do what you do best Morneau. Play first base for the team that nobody cares about, in a state that nobody cares about, in that piece of crap baggy-dome that nobody cares about. Oh and one other thing: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!

I think Don Cooper could work wonders with six pitchers that all throw 93-97 MPH fastballs. Included in that group is the best change-up and slider in all of baseball.

I would take their potential over what we have in store for next year, I'll tell you that much. These kids are all growing up and getting valuable experience in the heat of a pennant race.

We've babied McCarthy along for a year and a half now. In Minnesota, they would just push Silva or Lohse to the side and let Brandon pitch.

Here, we have egos, direct family members and huge contracts AND Ozzie involved, so our starting pitching takes forever to develop.

Thome25
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I think Don Cooper could work wonders with six pitchers that all throw 93-97 MPH fastballs. Included in that group is the best change-up and slider in all of baseball.

I would take their potential over what we have in store for next year, I'll tell you that much. These kids are all growing up and getting valuable experience in the heat of a pennant race.

We've babied McCarthy along for a year and a half now. In Minnesota, they would just push Silva or Lohse to the side and let Brandon pitch.

Here, we have egos, direct family members and huge contracts AND Ozzie involved, so our starting pitching takes forever to develop.

Yeah but would you trade their starting rotation for ours right now? I sure wouldn't.

And the reason the Twinkies push young starters into their rotation is because they are a small market no $$$$$$ team that has no other choice but to start these guys.

They can't go out and buy a starter and they can't keep their own so they start these young guys. Their not geniuses that's just the way things are for them. They play crap-shoot with their rotation and get lucky sometimes.

For every Santana and Liriano theres a Lohse, Silva, and Mays. They don't have the luxury of bringing their young starters along slowly like we do. Otherwise, who would be pitching for them?

caulfield12
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah but would you trade their starting rotation for ours right now? I sure wouldn't.

And the reason the Twinkies push young starters into their rotation is because they are a small market no $$$$$$ team that has no other choice but to start these guys.

They can't go out and buy a starter and they can't keep their own so they start these young guys. Their not geniuses that's just the way things are for them. They play crap-shoot with their rotation and get lucky sometimes.

For every Santana and Liriano theres a Lohse, Silva, and Mays. They don't have the luxury of bringing their young starters along slowly like we do. Otherwise, who would be pitching for them?

Mays was a very good, bottom of the rotation starter who gave us fits. But he was never considered a top tier prospect.

Lohse and Silva were acquired via trade/Rule 5 and pretty much contributed right away, I know Silva came from the Phillies and never spent time in their minor league system. Can't remember the entire situation with Lohse.

Oblong
09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I hate the Twins more than any other franchise after what they did to Detroit in the 1987 playoffs. That broke my heart in a Fredo Corleone kind of way. It's not even close. There's MN, then everybody else about 5 levels down.

I hate the "stadium", I hate the uniforms, I hate everything about them.

So whip them good Sox! You've got at least one Tiger fan behind you without any hidden motive.

beckett21
09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I hate the Twins more than any other franchise after what they did to Detroit in the 1987 playoffs. That broke my heart in a Fredo Corleone kind of way. It's not even close. There's MN, then everybody else about 5 levels down.

So whip them good Sox! You've got at least one Tiger fan behind you without any hidden motive.

You're almost making me feel bad for my scathing remarks about the Tigers.

Almost. :redneck

0o0o0
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
What's it gonna take to light a :angry: under this year's team??

Matches, gasoline, depends how much time you're willing to invest I guess. :wink:

JGarlandrules20
09-05-2006, 05:47 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/sullymyspace/421soxtwins/100_9378.jpg
He's just jeallouusss I don't root for the Twins. :smile:

BadBobbyJenks
09-05-2006, 06:07 PM

I always hated the illini then I went to mizzou so it doubled.

But yeah I never really had much against the twins, but they are just obsessed with us

MarySwiss
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Just so you guys all know, he probably means it. Those of us who lurk over at Motownsports now and again will agree that Oblong always takes the high road.

Oblong, it's going to pain me to see you guys come up short in the AL race. But such is life, if you're a Sox fan. We'll deal with the pain. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2006, 06:45 PM

They're up there on my list; but, I still hate the Red Wings, Blues, Predators, Packers, Vikings, and Indians more, but the Twins are giving the Tribe a run for theirs.

Hopefully the last weekend treats Morneau unwell!

liltristan95
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I am lmao reading all of this. As a Twins fan, this amuses me. Say what you want. It doesn't bother me. At least before the game tonight at Tampa Bay Santana was doing his daily routine, listening to the song Gasolina, during his warmup.

MarySwiss
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I am lmao reading all of this. As a Twins fan, this amuses me. Say what you want. It doesn't bother me. At least before the game tonight at Tampa Bay Santana was doing his daily routine, listening to the song Gasolina, during his warmup.

Thanks for letting us know. We've all been worrying ourselves sick, wondering what Santana was doing.

3Pete
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I think the "inferiority complex"/obsession/mutual dislike between the Twins and White Sox definitely goes both ways. I think Sox fans have seen the Twins beat them playing "small ball" (or whatever you want to call it) from 2002-2004, and even succeeding at it again this year. There was a lot of talk from Sox management about doing it the Twins way last year. Plus, you have comments from Koch/Durham/Buehrle over the years that fueled the rivalry. I don't know if it could be called "jealousy" or whatever, but I've seen here many times where Sox fans can't believe where the Twins get these Tyners/Bartletts/Fords/Puntos/Bonsers that step out of nowhere and make a difference in the race. I think from 2002-2004 and to an extent this year, it's like the little brother that's finding a way to beat you even though you know in your heart that he shouldn't because you SHOULD be better than him.

On the Twins' end, I think many Twins fans look at Chicago as a bigger market (i.e. the little brother mentality that I mentioned earlier) than them that they love beating and shutting up. Last year's WS win for the Sox only added to that, as instead of coming out on top like 2002-2004, they now had to watch the Sox rejoicing while they had a mediocre season. The WS win underscored the Twins' failures in the postseason during those three playoff runs. Also, there is a kind of jealousy that the Sox have all these big boppers like Dye/Konerko/Thome that they pay, whereas the Twins have only Morneau and can never get that big bat that would put them over the top.

I really think the rivalry got a big step up when AJ came to the division. Like everybody knows, if you play against AJ, you're going to hate him. I think the Morneau (multiple) comments come more from despising AJ than the entire Sox organization. I know a lot of the Twins players were pretty unhappy when AJ mocked their "smell 'em" routine (everyone knows his excuse is a bunch of crap), and also when he hit that huge HR and flipped his bat about 15 ft. in the air toward the Twins bench. I really think that's where the anger is coming from, because otherwise there is not a lot there. Other than Buehrle and AJ, I don't think there's much individual animosity toward Sox players on the team, and I know there's no bad blood between Ozzie and Gardenhire, as they seem to get along really well. But I am surprised that Morneau said what he did, as that is exactly the same stuff that got Twins fans riled up about the White Sox, "don't worry about us, worry about yourself," etc. Should be an interesting race down the stretch.

Babe The Blue Ox
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Should be an interesting race down the stretch.

OMG - are you a Sox fan? You actually admit liking an interesting race down the stretch? Get out.

This post should win an award. Well-thought out, spelling - check, no pain smileys, no ALL CAPS "I CAN'T ****ING BELIEVE IT WE'RE 1.5 GAMES BEHIND IN THE *****ING WC RACE!!!!" There is hope.

0o0o0
09-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I am lmao reading all of this. As a Twins fan, this amuses me.Say what you want. It doesn't bother me. At least before the game tonight at Tampa Bay Santana was doing his daily routine, listening to the song Gasolina, during his warmup.

:?: Justin Morneau, why are you a registered user at this forum?

fquaye149
09-06-2006, 03:43 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/sullymyspace/421soxtwins/100_9378.jpg
He's just jeallouusss I don't root for the Twins. :smile:

:D::D::D:

Oblong
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Just so you guys all know, he probably means it. Those of us who lurk over at Motownsports now and again will agree that Oblong always takes the high road.

Oblong, it's going to pain me to see you guys come up short in the AL race. But such is life, if you're a Sox fan. We'll deal with the pain. :wink:

Thank you for the nice words.

AnkleSox
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM

I'm on the same boat as you. I know most of it comes from the past 6 years, but I think that's a long enough time to build a healthy hate up for a sports organization.

Patrick134
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM

Is the song as overrated as Santana is ?

MarySwiss
09-06-2006, 07:02 PM
OMG - are you a Sox fan? You actually admit liking an interesting race down the stretch? Get out.

This post should win an award. Well-thought out, spelling - check, no pain smileys, no ALL CAPS "I CAN'T ****ING BELIEVE IT WE'RE 1.5 GAMES BEHIND IN THE *****ING WC RACE!!!!" There is hope.

OMG--are you a Twins fan? Sure surprises me.

Your post should win an award. If we're gonna nitpick, that's an almost--but not quite--accurate syllabification of a compound adjective--correct would be "well-thought-out spelling."

And let's subtract some points for taking one sentence from a three-paragraph post out of context. WSIers, you might want to reread the original post for perspective. This guy quoted the last sentence.

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Eat this, Morneau! You'll only be 1/2 game up on us after this one's all over!!!

Thanks, Tampa!

southside rocks
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Look out, Twinkies, the Tigers are coming to town ... :o::o::o:

hi im skot
09-06-2006, 11:45 PM

You can't be serious.

Mudville
09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I might be in the minority, but I think Santana's really good.

hi im skot
09-07-2006, 12:13 AM
I might be in the minority, but I think Santana's really good.

No, you're completely correct (and sane).

Who wouldn't want him on their staff?