PDA

View Full Version : Mark Mulder

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Anyone else think he's intriguing as a potential signee?

Obviously, with the Oswalt deal, Zito will get in the vicinity of $15 million per year. No way we get involved in that bidding.

But if we shed Vazquez or Garcia's deal, we could make him a Frank Thomas (A's) or Jermaine Dye reduced salary/incentive based deal to come to Chicago. I haven't read all the details of his injury, but this is exactly the type of risk that KW usually goes out and takes...maybe not to this extent on a pitcher (Loiaza, Contreras, Vazquez, Garcia, Thornton and Jenks were healthy when signed or traded for), but it's intriguing to me.

If it blows up, we can always carry insurance on the contract like we did with David Wells to protect ourselves to some extent.

Domeshot17
09-03-2006, 11:25 AM
thanks but no thanks I would rather have a healthy brandon then a mulder with a dead arm

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
We almost traded (in the postings here) Garland in the first two months with a "dead arm," not to mention we're now trying to deal Buehrle, Contreras and Garcia (in cyberspace postings) because of their dead arms.

Seriously, Mulder is injured...which means there's a medical prognosis. In some ways, it's better to know exactly what is wrong and fix it instead of wondering, like we're doing with Jose and Garcia.

Officially, he has "impingement and rotator cuff fraying."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2566243

bluestar
09-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I think Mulder will eventually make a great comeback for someone. He has too much raw talent for his career to be over. I would like to see the Sox pick him up and see if they can rehabilitate his career. If it could be done with some kind of incentive-laden contract, I think they should give him a shot.

The most disturbing thing about Mulder, to me, is that he was hurting and tried to pitch through it without telling anyone. He even admitted later that his injury had caused him to alter his release point, and he was struggling to "re-learn" his mechanics.

QCIASOXFAN
09-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Mark Mulder is not good anymore. We already have one Javy on the team. He gets lit up in the sorry ass NL, just think how hard he would get hit over here.

bluestar
09-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Mark Mulder is not good anymore. We already have one Javy on the team. He gets lit up in the sorry ass NL, just think how hard he would get hit over here.

But he is hurt. It isn't like Vazquez who appears to lack the mental toughness. Mulder has an excuse, at least.