PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's amazing stat

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:55 AM
"Oakland has gone an amazing 124-45 in August since 2001, including a 21-6 record this year. Barry Zito credits the relaxed nature of the organization, and he's probably right..."

from chicagosports.com

Not noted in the story is the equally horrid starts and how the "relaxed" clubhouse might not easily translate into playoff victories. So how do teams win in the playoffs, lol...they can't be "relaxed" and they can't have modern day Knights/W. Hayes/Billy Martins/Lombardis yelling and in their faces constantly.

samram
09-03-2006, 08:15 AM
"Oakland has gone an amazing 124-45 in August since 2001, including a 21-6 record this year. Barry Zito credits the relaxed nature of the organization, and he's probably right..."

from chicagosports.com

Not noted in the story is the equally horrid starts and how the "relaxed" clubhouse might not easily translate into playoff victories. So how do teams win in the playoffs, lol...they can't be "relaxed" and they can't have modern day Knights/W. Hayes/Billy Martins/Lombardis yelling and in their faces constantly.

Relaxed nature? :smokin: is what I think he means. :D:

As for the playoffs, it's tough to go 57-18 in the second half or whatever and then keep that level of play going when the other clubs start playing to win every game again.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Relaxed nature? :smokin: is what I think he means. :D:

As for the playoffs, it's tough to go 57-18 in the second half or whatever and then keep that level of play going when the other clubs start playing to win every game again.

Which is one of the stats that work against the Twins as well. They've worked their hinies off just to catch up with us and go up by 1.5. Now is when it really gets difficult. It's not as if they were even and pulled ahead by 10.5 games and we have to get hot to chase them down.

We really only have to go 16-11 or 15-12 (provided we win one of those final three).

batmanZoSo
09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Which is one of the stats that work against the Twins as well. They've worked their hinies off just to catch up with us and go up by 1.5. Now is when it really gets difficult. It's not as if they were even and pulled ahead by 10.5 games and we have to get hot to chase them down.

We really only have to go 16-11 or 15-12 (provided we win one of those final three).
That's why I said the Twins wouldn't make the playoffs, because they dug too big of a hole at the start. Now they have the law of averages to contend with as well as the injuries to their pitching staff.

Oakland's problem is they're a team of power hitters, which lives off walks and home runs, both of which are scarcer commodities in October. And they've had some hard luck as well. The Jeter/Giambi play was just something for the ages that could've happened to anyone. It shifted the momentum all in the Yankees favor.

buehrle4cy05
09-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Oakland's problem is they're a team of power hitters, which lives off walks and home runs, both of which are scarcer commodities in October. And they've had some hard luck as well. The Jeter/Giambi play was just something for the ages that could've happened to anyone. It shifted the momentum all in the Yankees favor.

Good point. The FOBB's philosophy is that getting to the playoffs is all that matters because anything in October is a crapshoot. They either don't realize that their strategy doesn't work in the playoffs or they can't admit that it doesn't.

soxfanatlanta
09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
FWIW: Buck Martinez brought up a very good point on XM the other week. He credits the weather as another factor; while the A's get to play their home games in downright nice weather, the rest of the country cooks in the heat and humidity. Down here, you can almost see the pitchers melting on the mound - not a pretty sight.

It makes sense to me.

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I think it just comes to the other teams being better. They are good enough to win the AL West (iffy this year, by the way), but not the other teams in a series. They are under .500 against the Central this year (but a nice one against the East). They had nice teams with Tejada and Giambi and some good pitching, but our staff last year blows any that they've put up out of the water. This year though, if the Tigers win the Central, I think the A's have a good chance of advancing a round.

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 12:42 PM
FWIW: Buck Martinez brought up a very good point on XM the other week. He credits the weather as another factor; while the A's get to play their home games in downright nice weather, the rest of the country cooks in the heat and humidity. Down here, you can almost see the pitchers melting on the mound - not a pretty sight.

It makes sense to me.

Living in the area, I cannot agree more. The weather here is cool and comfortable and I sleep well every night. I can't tell you how big of an advantage that is to a pro athlete.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
"Oakland has gone an amazing 124-45 in August since 2001,

.734 winning percentage. That is truly amazing.

batmanZoSo
09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Living in the area, I cannot agree more. The weather here is cool and comfortable and I sleep well every night. I can't tell you how big of an advantage that is to a pro athlete.

I wonder if San Fran or Seattle have better records in August, too.

A. Cavatica
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
As much as I hate the A's, I am impressed how they always turn it on in the second half. They even made Billy Koch look good one season.

This year, they have emerged from the pack to open up a 7.5 game lead in the West, and their record at this point is only one game worse than ours.

StatHead21
09-03-2006, 03:51 PM
That's why I said the Twins wouldn't make the playoffs, because they dug too big of a hole at the start. Now they have the law of averages to contend with as well as the injuries to their pitching staff.

Oakland has few power hitters, Frank is their only legit power hitter in that line up. Their team slugging % is a league worse .402. They pitch, play good D, and they have good all-around speed.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Chavez is having a below average year, but normally, he's a legitimate threat in that line-up. After all, they decided to keep him instead of Tejada.

PKalltheway
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM

from chicagosports.com

That 2002 team that won 20 games in a row was just amazing. They were in 3rd place when the streak began, trailing the 2nd place Angels and the 1st place Mariners. They were in first when it ended. In fact, they finished with 103 wins that year, but they didn't finish with the best record because the ****ing Yankees played one less game than they did.:angry: