PDA

View Full Version : Oz defends Mack

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Ozzie states that we have been using Mack in CF all season and we are not going to stop now. If thats the case then Its wait till next year because Mack will cost us a couple of big games down the stretch. Either Ozzie is stubborn or stupid.

Grzegorz
09-03-2006, 05:27 AM
He's being stubborn; why not run Sweeney out there when BA needs a break? Otherwise, why bring Sweeney up?

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:43 AM
"Why you play Mackowiak?" Guillen asked. "Well, we've been playing Mackowiak since the beginning of the season. We are not going to change anything. One thing about it is if I start changing the way we play all year long, they start to panic. I'm not panicking. I will go with the guys I trust. We go with the guys we've had all year long and, hopefully, they perform well."

from chicagosports.com

Very logical, lol. The main player that undermines the confidence of the pitching staff, and you're going to leave him out there because NOT doing so would be a sign on panic? LOL.

If anything, Rob playing CF does look like we're panicking.

One day he's talking about playing Sweeney, the next, it's like the conversation never happened. I think Ozzie is seriously bi-polar. Same with the bunting. Why don't we do that every game instead of last night and the series in Toronto?

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Since taking the job three years ago, Guillen has always made his e-mail address public. He's also made it a point to read all the e-mails he's received. He admitted a few weeks ago that not only have the e-mails been pouring in, but have been more vicious than usual.
''They are already blaming it on me for putting different lineups,'' Guillen said. ''Since we got here, we never change anything. When you lose, the things amplify. We lose, we lose together. We win, we win together.''

from suntimes.com

Wsoxmike59
09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
I wish Oz would play Mack in LF on a regular basis, he's a much better option than Pods is at this point.

I really questioned Ozzie's starting of Rob Mackowiak in center on Fri night. ***?? Mack opened the flood gates to a big inning when he stupidly threw in to 3B on Shealy's single to CF tyring to nail Emil Brown at 3B.

This allowed Shealy in to 2B with NOBODY OUT. Sheesh, even a little leaguer knows to keep the DP in order in that situation.

I know it's a moot point now because the defense caved in on Contreras right after that, but still you gotta go with your best defensive guys at this point.

I like Rob Mackowiak, he's tough, he's a gamer......he's just not a CF'er.

WSox597
09-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Oz defends Mack

He's not defending Mack, he's defending himself for using Mack in CF all year. Mack is quoted as saying he has been terrible out there, doesn't Ozzie know this?

I agree, put Mack in LF. Pods has been hideous this year, he can't do worse. And at least he can hit pretty well. Pods, has been weak at the plate, to say the least.

I wonder who the LF will be next year?

Tragg
09-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm all for letting Rob M and his .370 OBP play more. Put him in left and let him lead off several times a week.

Who's a better (or less-worse) CF - Rob M or Podsednik - re giving Anderson a day off once a week.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Brain Anderson does not need any days off. Put him in CF and leave him there for the next 15 years.

Tragg
09-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Brain Anderson does not need any days off. Put him in CF and leave him there for the next 15 years.
Once a week - keeps the team fresh and happy. It worked last year.

beckett21
09-03-2006, 09:12 AM
He's not defending Mack, he's defending himself for using Mack in CF all year. Mack is quoted as saying he has been terrible out there, doesn't Ozzie know this?

Exactly.

Note to Ozzie: Rob doesn't make the ****ing lineups, you do.

I also agree with the rising sentiment of starting him in LF. You can hide him in the corner position; you can't hide him in center.

Watching Podsednik struggle at the plate is really starting to wear me out.

daveeym
09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Exactly.

Note to Ozzie: Rob doesn't make the ****ing lineups, you do.

I also agree with the rising sentiment of starting him in LF. You can hide him in the corner position; you can't hide him in center.

Watching Podsednik struggle at the plate is really starting to wear me out. Hell with Thome gimpy and dye never getting rest, ozzie has an easy out. DH dye for a few games and let Rob play right. It doesn't look or sound like a demotion and it gets that butcher out of center.

Martinigirl
09-03-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think most people are critical of Ozzie for making lineup changes. to keep everyone fresh. The problem is one specific person at one specific position.

Mack simply can't play center without costing us runs. It is very simple. And when you have a pitching staff that is struggling, the last thing a manager should be doing is not giving his pitching staff the best defense possible.

Ozzie can try to rationalize this all he wants, but it is not the fans being critical over a practice he has done for years. The fans are pissed about one move made over and over and over again that is hurting the team.

Chips
09-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Watching Podsednik struggle at the plate is really starting to wear me out.

His noodle arm drives me nuts, as does his looking at strike three every damn game.

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 12:34 PM
He's not defending Mack, he's defending himself for using Mack in CF all year.

From a player's perspective I'll add this. If the manager puts you down as a starter in any position or any batting order spot, then you go out and do your best in that location. If you have questions about something you ask them, but you just plain do your level best. I have never seen any less from Mack. While I may not like Ozzie's decision to insert him into the lineup there, I applaud Mack's efforts in CF.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
We haven't exactly seen the Alphonso Soriano Show with Mackowiak, you can give him credit for not bitching and moaning.

FielderJones
09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Which other teams in MLB platoon at CF the way the Sox do?

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 12:41 PM
The Royals have a revolving rotation with Gathwright, DeJesus, German, Costa, Sanders (DL now).

FielderJones
09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
The Royals have a revolving rotation with Gathwright, DeJesus, German, Costa, Sanders (DL now).

I suspect any other team someone points out will be of similar playoff prospects this year. Contenders have a regular center fielder.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I really questioned Ozzie's starting of Rob Mackowiak in center on Fri night. ***?? Mack opened the flood gates to a big inning when he stupidly threw in to 3B on Shealy's single to CF tyring to nail Emil Brown at 3B.

This allowed Shealy in to 2B with NOBODY OUT. Sheesh, even a little leaguer knows to keep the DP in order in that situation.

Anderson's made that same mistake numerous times this year. I'm more worried about the balls Mack can't track down behind him and in the gaps.

beckett21
09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
His noodle arm drives me nuts, as does his looking at strike three every damn game.
I'm usually patient with guys in slumps. The guy can't even bunt his way out of a wet paper bag these days.

The Sox are running out of time to keep coddling Podsednik. He has become an automatic out. Either get your **** together or figure it out on the bench.

JRIG
09-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Just a stat I noticed this morning -- Brian Anderson has a hit in 16 of the last 18 games he has started.

TornLabrum
09-03-2006, 01:16 PM
From a player's perspective I'll add this. If the manager puts you down as a starter in any position or any batting order spot, then you go out and do your best in that location. If you have questions about something you ask them, but you just plain do your level best. I have never seen any less from Mack. While I may not like Ozzie's decision to insert him into the lineup there, I applaud Mack's efforts in CF.

I applaud the fact that he gives his best effort. I don't applaud the fact that Ozzie keeps sending him out there. As I said in last week's "Fallen Arches" (and will repeat again this week), doing the same thing over and over even though it doesn't work is one definition of insanity.

If you haven't gone over to Baseball Reference.com to look at Mackowiak's range factor in CF for the Pirates, I urge you to do so. He's way below the league average, whereas Anderson is at or near the top in the major leagues this year. Ozzie is out of his mind to keep playing him there.

ArkanSox
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
but he's not a centerfielder. Hopefully, Sweeney can spell Anderson once in a while, and Mack can platoon with Pods. I don't know what to make of Scottie, except to conclude that's he's been playing hurt all year. He's definately lost a step, along with his confidence. The spark is gone, and it's a shame, because we all know what a team catalyst he was last year.
Yes! Paulie just hit one out. Early 1-0 lead.
GO SOX!!!

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Anderson's made that same mistake numerous times this year. I'm more worried about the balls Mack can't track down behind him and in the gaps.

I've watched most of the games this year and have not seen Anderson make that mistake at all. I have seen him throw to third but not inappropriately.

Frater Perdurabo
09-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Ozzie states that we have been using Mack in CF all season and we are not going to stop now. If thats the case then Its wait till next year because Mack will cost us a couple of big games down the stretch. Either Ozzie is stubborn or stupid.

Even Ol' No. 2 has stopped defending the playing of Mackowiak in CF.

It sounds to me like Ozzie's thought pattern might be "I've won the World Series; I cannot be wrong."

This kind of obstinate insanity will be his undoing someday.

LuvSox
09-03-2006, 02:07 PM
doing the same thing over and over even though it doesn't work is one definition of insanity.

In Ozzie's case it's testosterone fueled insanity, the refusal to admit you're wrong.

Chips
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm usually patient with guys in slumps. The guy can't even bunt his way out of a wet paper bag these days.

The Sox are running out of time to keep coddling Podsednik. He has become an automatic out. Either get your **** together or figure it out on the bench.

I'm usually patient as well. I have no patience left for him. If he is going to be on the team next season, he had better get himself fixed in the offseason.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
I've watched most of the games this year and have not seen Anderson make that mistake at all. I have seen him throw to third but not inappropriately.

BA has thrown to third inappropriately, and he's thrown home inappropriately. This has happened more than once, always allowing the trailing runner to reach second to be in scoring position. I'm not trying to defend Mackowiak, but BA's hasn't been perfect.

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
BA has thrown to third inappropriately, and he's thrown home inappropriately. This has happened more than once, always allowing the trailing runner to reach second to be in scoring position. I'm not trying to defend Mackowiak, but BA's hasn't been perfect.

Your last remark made it clear that was your opinion. But when? I've played a couple years of pro ball and in my opinion, I just haven't seen it more than once or twice this season.

SOXandILLINI
09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
did someone say ozzie is stubborn or stupid? ..... nah:rolleyes:

Brian26
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Your last remark made it clear that was your opinion. But when? I've played a couple years of pro ball and in my opinion, I just haven't seen it more than once or twice this season.

So you agree BA's thrown to the wrong base. This contradicts what you said previously:

I've watched most of the games this year and have not seen Anderson make that mistake at all.

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 03:47 PM
So you agree BA's thrown to the wrong base. This contradicts what you said previously:

You said frequently, I said once or twice to be charitable to you. None of BA's have been bad plays like Mack's the other night was, just an occasional over-aggressive rookie plays.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 03:52 PM
You said frequently, I said once or twice to be charitable to you. None of BA's have been bad plays like Mack's the other night was, just an occasional over-aggressive rookie plays.

I said numerous. And, yes, some of them have been very bad plays.

ondafarm
09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I said numerous. And, yes, some of them have been very bad plays.

In your opinion, which will be weighted accordingly.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 04:00 PM
In your opinion, which will be weighted accordingly.

Based on what?

Soxworldchamps
09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey, guess who's batting .294 since the All-Star break? That's right, Brian Anderson. Only Crede, Gload, and Dye are batting higher then that. Mack is batting at .274.

Wsoxmike59
09-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey, guess who's batting .294 since the All-Star break? That's right, Brian Anderson. Only Crede, Gload, and Dye are batting higher then that. Mack is batting at .274.

Which is why I would play Mackowiak in LF ahead of Podsednik right now.

Why is Ozzie so slow to learn about this whole Mackowiak in CF issue?? :angry:

Ziggy S
09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I think the reason for continuing to start RMac in CF and bringing in Cotts after pulling Garcia or Vazquez is Ozzie is becoming Ditka post-1985. Obviously, any move he makes will work out since they just won the WS last year, in his mind. I hope I am wrong, but egotistical, stubborn moves like these might keep us from making the playoffs or getting to the World Series if we someone get in the postseason and just might cost him the managerial position leading to another possible "Sleepy Gene" or "Gandhi Manuel" type to be hired (then again those were Schueler hires and I will not even mention TB by name, he was so horrible; in '96 and '97 he drove me freaking crazy with his awful moves) as his replacement.
Remember, when "Da Coach" said the scab players during the '87 Strike were the "real Bears" and when he made Flutie the starting QB, despite Doug not knowing our offense? Anytime, Cotts is brought into a game at crunchtime or Macowiak starts in CF and not in LF, RF, or 3B I am reminded of a Head Coach for the Beloved who let his endorsements and success get to his orange hair covered head. Please, Ozzie if you have fallen into this trap, escape it as soon as possible.
One final point and I will paraphrase Hangar18-END THE ROB MACOWIAK AS STARTING CF EXPERIMENT NOW.

ondafarm
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I think the reason for continuing to start RMac in CF and bringing in Cotts after pulling Garcia or Vazquez is Ozzie is becoming Ditka post-1985. Obviously, any move he makes will work out since they just won the WS last year, in his mind. I hope I am wrong, but egotistical, stubborn moves like these might keep us from making the playoffs or getting to the World Series if we someone get in the postseason and just might cost him the managerial position leading to another possible "Sleepy Gene" or "Gandhi Manuel" type to be hired (then again those were Schueler hires and I will not even mention TB by name, he was so horrible; in '96 and '97 he drove me freaking crazy with his awful moves) as his replacement.
Remember, when "Da Coach" said the scab players during the '87 Strike were the "real Bears" and when he made Flutie the starting QB, despite Doug not knowing our offense? Anytime, Cotts is brought into a game at crunchtime or Macowiak starts in CF and not in LF, RF, or 3B I am reminded of a Head Coach for the Beloved who let his endorsements and success get to his orange hair covered head. Please, Ozzie if you have fallen into this trap, escape it as soon as possible.
One final point and I will paraphrase Hangar18-END THE ROB MACOWIAK AS STARTING CF EXPERIMENT NOW.

I don't buy this comparison. Even though football and baseball are very different games, I see Ozzie and Ditka as different animals in their failings.

Ditka really had no clue about how a high-powered passing offense works. He's a great guy for building up the lines and for traditional type running plays but as for running or defending against a West-coast offense Ditka couldn't do it.

Ozzie is trying to protect a couple of guys for next year. Mack needs to continue to get at-bats and play, BA is still learning major league pitching and the defensive nuances of the major league game. I don't object to BA getting a little more time off than say, Dye, so that BA can learn the game, analyse his mistakes and talk to the coaches more during the game. I hate Mack's play in center but who else you going to put there?

As for Cotts, a lot of relief pitchers have up and down seasons, as in one good, one bad, one good. Cotts is clearly bad this season. But if the Sox want him around next year and getting that good performance out of him, it means trotting him out there once in awhile and letting him pitch. Cotts has the physical abilities to do what he did last year, its a confidence thing right now. It's got to be shattered right now and if it is to recover for next year then he needs to feel as if he contributes to a few wins. I don't think he's contributed to a win since the All-Star break. But he's in the pay for it now and get the benefit next year category. This is a bit of a gamble, but Ozzie has done this over and over and come up big ultimately. A number of things he did in 2004 paid off in 2005 so I give him my confidence this year.

spiffie
09-04-2006, 09:49 AM
But if the Sox want him around next year and getting that good performance out of him, it means trotting him out there once in awhile and letting him pitch.
This is great if you define "once in a while" as once or twice a week. However, when a guy leads your bullpen in 3 stats, and those are appearances, highest WHIP, and highest ERA, perhaps there is something going a bit wrong here. He is constantly using his least dependable player in high-leverage situations. You want to keep him sharp and confident for 2007, that's fine. But to be on a pace to use your worst pitcher most out of anyone...that seems a bit questionable, even for the infallible Ozzie.

southside rocks
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Hell with Thome gimpy and dye never getting rest, ozzie has an easy out. DH dye for a few games and let Rob play right. It doesn't look or sound like a demotion and it gets that butcher out of center.
That's what I hoped would happen when Thome had to sit out that week or so. Dye to DH, Mack to RF. I don't know why that wasn't an option. :?:

Mack has plenty to do playing right and left to give Pods/Pablo/Dye breaks. He should only play CF if, heaven forbid, BA is unable to take the field.

Frankly Missing
09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

From the New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition, 2002:

"Don't engage in an act of anger or revenge that will hurt you more than it hurts anyone else."

Application for the White Sox...Marte, Cotts, Polite, Mack, refusing to give Brandon a start in spite of having mutiple struggling starters.

I heard KW Sunday morning on 670, he said he had asked Ozzie the same questions as we have about Mack and Brandon. Kws' response was that he had to respect Ozzies role as the manager.

However, I wonder what the chance of Ozzie retaining his job next year if KW thinks Ozzie cut off the collective White Sox nose by stubbornly continuing to make the same decisions/mistakes.

ondafarm
09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
This is great if you define "once in a while" as once or twice a week. However, when a guy leads your bullpen in 3 stats, and those are appearances, highest WHIP, and highest ERA, perhaps there is something going a bit wrong here. He is constantly using his least dependable player in high-leverage situations. You want to keep him sharp and confident for 2007, that's fine. But to be on a pace to use your worst pitcher most out of anyone...that seems a bit questionable, even for the infallible Ozzie.

Okay, I will say, I think Ozzie is using Cotts more than he should. He does tend to keep him on a short leash and 1st lefty out of the pen is almost by definition a short outing guy. Clearly, Cotts isn't getting it done this year and I think Ozzie should use him only in games he figures we've lost already.

I'm not saying Ozzie is infallible. But I am saying he gets a lot of slack in my book.

ondafarm
09-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

From the New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition, 2002:

"Don't engage in an act of anger or revenge that will hurt you more than it hurts anyone else."

Application for the White Sox...Marte, Cotts, Polite, Mack, refusing to give Brandon a start in spite of having mutiple struggling starters.

I heard KW Sunday morning on 670, he said he had asked Ozzie the same questions as we have about Mack and Brandon. Kws' response was that he had to respect Ozzies role as the manager.

However, I wonder what the chance of Ozzie retaining his job next year if KW thinks Ozzie cut off the collective White Sox nose by stubbornly continuing to make the same decisions/mistakes.

Heck, I would think KW told Ozzie to keep pitching the struggling starters. If you give up on a guy, his trade value falls like a rock.