PDA

View Full Version : Ever go on the field(legally) at the Cell?

jamokes
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Did you ever get to go on the field(legally) at old Comiskey Park or US Cellular?

This Friday night there is a parade on the field before the game (through the Notre Dame Club of Chicago, I don't know if others groups are included), should be neat!

buehrle4cy05
09-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Three times.

Twice for Oak Park Youth Baseball/Softball day, and once for the Grinder Bash.

SoxShirt
09-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Last Friday, my dad went to the game with my uncle and my cousins, and someone knew someone, and they got to go on the field after the game. they couldn't go on the grass, but they went into the dugouts and the bull pens. My uncle got to take the piece of paper that had the Sox official batting order on it, and my dad got the Twins one. :(: Oh and he also got a package of sunflower seeds from the sox bullpen.

Edward
09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
2 times, both in the mid 90's for a season ticket holder party. I even took batting practice in the old left field bullpen.

jabrch
09-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Just a few weeks ago, before the Saturday game against detroit. Walked the field a bit. Have a picture to proove it!!!!

It's kinda cool. You wouldn't believe how soft the grass is... They massage each blade of grass to keep it in shape for games. And the dirt - they wash it every night after games, just so it doesn't get dirty. The bases are big white pillows of love. The chalk lines are infused with purfume. Really...that's what it's like.

batmanZoSo
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Just a few weeks ago, before the Saturday game against detroit. Walked the field a bit. Have a picture to proove it!!!!

It's kinda cool. You wouldn't believe how soft the grass is... They massage each blade of grass to keep it in shape for games. And the dirt - they wash it every night after games, just so it doesn't get dirty. The bases are big white pillows of love. The chalk lines are infused with purfume. Really...that's what it's like.

Is this heaven?

jabrch
09-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Is this heaven?

It's Comiskey Park!

LongLiveFisk
09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes...back when they used to have "Camera Day" or "Photo Day", whatever it was called at the time.

And what ever happened to it anyway? :?:

dickallen15
09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I've been on the USCF a few time with season ticketholder parties and the Dog Day parade. I actually played a game at Comiskey Park. It was a city vs. suburb game. I was on the suburban team. A guy from St. Rita, I have forgotten his name, but he was a left handed hitter, hit a ball onto the roof during the game.

RichFitztightly
09-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, I've been on the field twice this year. Once when I was an employee of the homestand and the other time was when I worked the picnic in the park. That outfield fence is higher than it looks and a lot less forgiving than it looks. Though the earlier description of the grass is dead on accurate.

soltrain21
09-02-2006, 10:43 PM
I have been on the field once for photo day (well the warning track) and on the field for the grinder bash.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Three times with season ticket holder events. My Uncle took me to Urinal Field once too. At Wrigley they let you on the infield. Pitching off a major league mound to my uncle was so cool. I wish the SodFather would allow it at the Cell, but it's still awesome every time.

SOXandILLINI
09-02-2006, 10:49 PM
i played at the old comiskey in 1974, city championship, vittum park, yes we won. the field was still astroturf in the infield and natural grass in the outfield, kinda weird. was also on the field in 1982, before a sox game, the 1982 all area team was introduced on the field. the funny part of this story was during the intros, ribbie leaned over to me and said, "big freakin honor huh?" except he didnt use freakin. and this year at the cell, season tk holder party.... also had the honor and priveledge of playing at the old tiger stadium in 1982, the illinois all-state team played the michigan all-state team. we won 8-0, dave otto was one of our pitchers on that team. it was a blast.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-02-2006, 11:06 PM
......... the funny part of this story was during the intros, ribbie leaned over to me and said, "big freakin honor huh?" except he didnt use freakin.

I never trusted that Ribbie, he always kind of scared me in an evil, weird clown kind of way. Southpaw would kick his arse, he's da man.

southwstchi4life
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
4th grade, I got to go on the sand, not the grass, but was a great expierience, and inside the park

RadioheadRocks
09-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I never trusted that Ribbie, he always kind of scared me in an evil, weird clown kind of way. Southpaw would kick his arse, he's da man.

I always thought Ribbie was Grimace's mutant cousin. :D:

LuvSox
09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
I used to go every photo day. Everyone we met was cool as hell. Except one guy: Royce Clayton. What an arrogant bastard.

DumpJerry
09-03-2006, 12:15 AM
A Photo Day or two back in the '80's, at a political fundraiser that Uncle Jerry supported (not allowed on the grass, but we got into the dugouts-the water fountain in the Sox dugout is very cold and refreshing!), at the Season Ticket Holder/Grinder Bash this year, and the 15 years I spent as the Sox' left handed stopper (that is why Mark Buerhle is known as the "Current Dumpjerry").

EndemicSox
09-03-2006, 12:48 AM
The high school all-star team I played for got lucky enough to play 2 games at the Cell. Great experience, I can kind of feel what major league thrid basemen went through when the Big Hurt was up to deck. However, my high school team played three state tournament games in Geneva (Elfstrom Stadium) and I though the experience was a litte more cool, mainly due to the fact that the stadium was packed.

BRDSR
09-03-2006, 01:00 AM
"Wait, you've all got to tell me - was it spongy?"

Sorry, shameless Fever Pitch reference. I bet most people on this board thought that movie was totally lame. I thought it was pretty funny and surprisingly true to my life.

I was on the field once, probably back in '93ish with my cub scout troop. Don't remember it too much, we walked around the outfield warning track. Was in the visitors dugout at Camden Yards though...that was a blast. Just being on a major league field is kind of surreal.

White_Sock
09-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I played t-ball in left field of old Comiskey in 1990 when i was 8, and stayed for the following game. It was pretty sweet.:supernana:

The Critic
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I played at Old Comiskey and Chewing Gum Field in 1973 for the old City Series (Lawndale Park) and we got destroyed both games. Just like Sammy Sosa and Ron Santo, I struck out at both parks. :D:
I've also walked the warning track twice with my wife and daughter for the Kids Club parade. Man Soo Lee gave my daughter an autographed ball.

Frontman
09-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I took my son, wife, and my Mom there for Family Field Day. That was fun to go out and walk around, stand where memorable moments were made in 2005. I plan on taking them back with my brother and sister next year, as we had a lot of fun.

Front

lizard6king6
09-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Grinder Bash, and it was awesome!!

I want Mags back
09-03-2006, 10:53 AM
i ws in a parade for the kids club years back

Domeshot17
09-03-2006, 10:55 AM
A lot of guys from my highschool played in the white sox wooden bat fall league. I was choosen to play in the all star game on the field which was amazing. I played 2 innings at first threw an inning in relief and played 1 inning at the hot corner. You could tell everyone was really amped to be out there, probably one of the best innings of baseball I have ever pitched.

The only downer of the game was I smoked one and thought I parked it, and for the first time ever I decided to pimp it a little, bat flip, watched it out (kinda AJ style but back in 2002) and it hit the wall, had to settle for a double.

My girlfriend took me last year to family day, threw on the field, was a very nice time as well

Corlose 15
09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
If you want to get on the field as the Cell all you have to do is have your brother drop his transmission as he pulls into Lot C. At least thats what I did.:D:

whitesoxwilkes
09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Not only have I been on the field, but I've slept on it at the inaugaral sleepover night in 2002. That was pretty cool. Been on it for a couple season ticket holder parties and Dog Day as well.

DumpJerry
09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I just remembered one other time. When I was in high school, I did the Sox/Stroh's Fun Run which started at McCormick Place and ended at Home Plate.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes this May when I had a press pass. Beautiful Sunday, the field was immaculate and the view from down around home plate as you rotate your vision around the stadium is unbelieveable.

Lip

Mohoney
09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I went to Picnic in the Park this summer.

Chips
09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I walked around the field a few times with the Boy Scouts as well as the Cub Scouts.

soxinem1
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I had been on the field many times at Comiskey, but only once at this place, and that was in the first year it was open.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Family Day/Garage Sale '05

warehouse823
09-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah I've been on the field at New Comiskey/U.S. Cellular many times...
employee of the homestand 3 times...
picnic in the park 2 times...
family field day
I'll never forget my first time....AMAZING

thomas35forever
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
3 times to run the bases on Kids Day, and once to meet Craig Biggio.:smile:

robiwho
09-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I've been on the field twice during visitor's batting practice on Library Appreciation Night. I get to go on the field with a guest and have a photo taken for organizing the event.

MDF3530
09-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Never at the Cell, but once at the old Comiskey. Yamaha High School Band Day. The bands paraded around the warning track and then stood in the outfield and played the national anthem.

hsnterprize
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Being in the media definitely has its advantages. I've been on the field, in the clubhouse, and in the press box at the Cell, and I LOVE IT!!!!!!

The field is as beautiful and soft as previously described. Not to mention, it's pretty cool to talk to players while they're taking batting practice. You just have to be careful that you don't get plunked with a foul ball behind the cage.

tacosalbarojas
09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
A few times...once in Old Comiskey for a college media day, nicest guy was Rodney McCray. He was humble, and had much about which to be humble. And for quite a few of the season ticket holder parties in the new park. When I started going they actually let you go in the Sox clubhouse - this was back in the late nineties, but eventually they put the kibosh on that. Too bad, that was the bees' knees...to be able to worship at the hallowed office door of a Terry Bevington...good times for sure!

MeteorsSox4367
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Got to play catch in left-center with my brother this year during the Grinder Bash, as well as take pictures in the Sox dugout and throw a couple pitches in the visitors' bullpen.

This spring, the baseball team from the school at which I work played a game at the Cell. Got to go on the field and walk around and take pictures. They even needed someone to do the PA for that game and since I do it for our home football games, I got to be Gene Honda for the afternoon. Damn, that was cool!

"White Sox fans, on your feet...!"

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I was on the field for this year's Grinder Bash with my boyfriend, and we had a blast. It's awesome being able to sit/stand where our boyz are constantly! The feeling is very jaw-dropping when you do it for the first time.

We went all over the outfield, to both dugouts, behind home plate, as well as in both bullpens. He took some video and photos, which are priceless.

itsnotrequired
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I was on the field for this year's Grinder Bash as well. I kept telling everyone to take their shoes and socks off when walking on the field; it is the softest surface EVER. No one really listened to my advice though. Their loss, I guess. Double bonus as it was a hot day so the soft, cool grass was just what my feet needed.

TDog
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Yes...back when they used to have "Camera Day" or "Photo Day", whatever it was called at the time.

And what ever happened to it anyway? :?:

As I understand it, Fuji dropped its support for photo days around baseball and no one else picked them up. I went to several photo days this decade and loved it. Long ago in the old park, they set up the rope so people could co deep into the outfield grass. I also was on the old field in college as a news photographer, just as I sat courtside as a photographer for Indiana Pacers and Indiana University basketball games in the 1970s. In some of the older ballparks, people used to be allowed to walk on the field after the game to leave. I have a vague recollection of crossing Forbes Field after a twi-night doubleheader in 1969.

My first in-person view inside the new ballpark was walking out onto the field from behind home plate for a function in 2000. I considered myself extremely fortunate.

INSox56
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
This year's Grinder Bash. I went on the field twice, so I did it all. Played catch (twice) in the outfield and at the rim of third base, threw to my buddy in the home pen, jumped the wall, sat in both dugouts (yes I drank from both water fountains).

A few things....it's amazing how true the bounces are off the field surface and also, when you're playing catch, I don't know if it's the roof dynamics or just having seats and all that around you, but every pop of the glove seems MUCH louder than say in the back yard. And when you get close to the infield when you're actually on the field (not in Scout Seats or close to HP), you REALLY notice just how friggin close everything is to each other (home plate to the mound, all IF positions from home plate, etc).

stacksedwards
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Mullet night. Me and nasty boy knobs mono e mono.

Jaffar
09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I got to go onto the field for Batting Practice last July, right before Big Frank went on the shelf for the season. Something I'll never forget.
Pictures (http://community.webshots.com/user/jaffar311)

DumpJerry
09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I was on the field for this year's Grinder Bash as well. I kept telling everyone to take their shoes and socks off when walking on the field; it is the softest surface EVER. No one really listened to my advice though. Their loss, I guess. Double bonus as it was a hot day so the soft, cool grass was just what my feet needed.
I was wondering where those brown patches in Right Field came from.......