PDA

View Full Version : Heath Phillips

Soxworldchamps
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Do you think we're going to bring this guy up for next season? I mean, look at this:

He's 13-5 in 25 games, 24 started.
ERA= 2.96
IP= 155
Hits allowed= 152
Runs allowed= 62
Earned runs allowed= 51
Home runs allowed= 12
BBs= 39
SOs= 102
HBP= 5
Wild pitches= 2

Plus, he's a lefty, and was just named the International League's Most Valuable Pitcher. I'm also pretty sure he was on the Triple-A All-Star team on July 12. Opinions on this guy?

sox1970
09-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Phillips had a lot of great starts in the first half and a lot of bad ones in the second half for Charlotte. I'm thinking no.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 03:44 PM
From everything we've heard, Phillips and Redding wouldn't really be in the conversation even about replacing a starter.

1) McCarthy
2) Haeger
3) Broadway
4) Tracey

Might as well throw N. Cotts in there while we're at it, I think Logan will take his role as the 2nd LOOGY away soon.

MadetoOrta
09-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Unless the International League stinks, I don't see how he doesn't get a look. Plus, you need to reward success in the minors. It makes the rest of the minor leaguers hungry for their shot.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 05:44 PM
The same way Tim Redding doesn't get a look. The same reason Mark Buehrle does't get drafted until the late rounds, or that nobody values Charles Haeger as a "top prospect."

Beautox
09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
The same way Tim Redding doesn't get a look. The same reason Mark Buehrle does't get drafted until the late rounds, or that nobody values Charles Haeger as a "top prospect."

Tim Redding (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4794) doesn't get a look because 1.) he has already proven that he can't handle big league hitters and thats why hes a AAAA, and two there are far better, younger prospects ahead of him. Phillips (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Heath%20Phillips&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457495) future is most likely not in this organization, i see the sox signing both MB and Crede long term this offseason, and dealing Phillips along with other pieces for what the club needs.

A. Cavatica
09-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I think he gets a look in spring training, because he is a real prospect and not just an organizational player. He draws some comparisons to Buehrle. He could compete for the lefty bullpen spot, but I agree: his future is most likely trade bait.

Corlose 15
09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I'd imagine he'd get at least a look. With trading Gonzalez and Haigwood, Phillips has to be pretty high on the organizations lefthanded depth chart. I mean who's ahead of him Broadway and Liotta?

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Broadway is a RHP.

Maybe Liotta, although he's had a horrible season. Same thing with Corwin Malone.

Most of our better lefties are relievers right now, so Phillips would have to be considered our best starting candidate from that side at this point.

We also traded Lumsden for MacDougal. So we've lost our three best lefties from the system now.

HiHoSilver
10-22-2006, 02:36 AM
You hit the nail on the head here soxworldchamp. I can tell you from being closely related to him, that he will be pitching next year, and he will be there when the season stars. I know you probaly dont believe this, but theres reasons why he didnt come up the last few weeks this year, when they called numerous players up. And as another little example, its no coincidence that hes in venezuela pitching for caracas a team that OZZIE owns. Anyways, look for him as the 5th starter to start next year off, and come and remember i told you.

Do you think we're going to bring this guy up for next season? I mean, look at this:

He's 13-5 in 25 games, 24 started.
ERA= 2.96
IP= 155
Hits allowed= 152
Runs allowed= 62
Earned runs allowed= 51
Home runs allowed= 12
BBs= 39
SOs= 102
HBP= 5
Wild pitches= 2

Plus, he's a lefty, and was just named the International League's Most Valuable Pitcher. I'm also pretty sure he was on the Triple-A All-Star team on July 12. Opinions on this guy?

HiHoSilver
10-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Bautox as far as for this comment you couldnt be more far from the truth. He has been trying to get traded for the past 2 years, and they wont let it happen, he wanted to get out of the orginazation as its so hard to get into thier rotation , as you know how strong it was the championship year. Actually he prefers the natonal league, as he has always been a great hitter, all thru out his playin days. But, the trade its not happening. Personally i wish it would, but its just not.

Tim Redding (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4794) doesn't get a look because 1.) he has already proven that he can't handle big league hitters and thats why hes a AAAA, and two there are far better, younger prospects ahead of him. Phillips (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Heath%20Phillips&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457495) future is most likely not in this organization, i see the sox signing both MB and Crede long term this offseason, and dealing Phillips along with other pieces for what the club needs.

KRS1
10-22-2006, 03:23 AM
You hit the nail on the head here soxworldchamp. I can tell you from being closely related to him, that he will be pitching next year, and he will be there when the season stars. I know you probaly dont believe this, but theres reasons why he didnt come up the last few weeks this year, when they called numerous players up. And as another little example, its no coincidence that hes in venezuela pitching for caracas a team that OZZIE owns. Anyways, look for him as the 5th starter to start next year off, and come and remember i told you.

1)He's pitching for La Guaira not Caracas.

2)We have already have much better options than him to take up starters spots(FNOABB, Cotts, Thornton, Haeger, IMO Tracey, & Broadway), should one or two become vacant. Unless we unload three starters from our system, I will give you my personal guarantee he will not be starting for us next season.

3)So these reasons he wasnt called up this year, what exactly are they? That statement just doesnt make much sense to me. If you think a guy has a shot to be on your roster next season, you normally call him up and see what he can do. Ozzie has a good track record of bringing up the guys who he feels will help the club and give them a shot against the big boys if he feels they belong.

4)He's not even on our 40 man roster, and even though there's still time to protect him, it's not exactly a great sign he will be up with us next year. Also, I may be mistaken, but isnt he a 6 YFA?

Bautox as far as for this comment you couldnt be more far from the truth. He has been trying to get traded for the past 2 years, and they wont let it happen, he wanted to get out of the orginazation as its so hard to get into thier rotation , as you know how strong it was the championship year. Actually he prefers the natonal league, as he has always been a great hitter, all thru out his playin days. But, the trade its not happening. Personally i wish it would, but its just not.

5)What made Heath want a trade the last two season? His stats and IP's were never nearly as good above Kanny prior to this season. I find it hard to concieve that a guy who had a ton to prove and a lot left to learn, would up and try to get traded. He never gave us much choice to get traded until now, and still his value isnt very high. Before this season, I dont even think the Royals would have put them on their staff, so it's not like he would have been climbing the ladder any higher elsewhere. Guys know they have to prove themselves before they can pull this kind of stuff, and like I said before this season he had a ton left to prove.

6)Because you are closely related to someone doesnt mean you know the things you claim to be so sure about. I guarantee you that Heath himself doesnt know whats in store for him next season, let alone place a claim on our fifth starters spot. Also, this is a very vague statement...

"I can tell you from being closely related to him, that he will be pitching next year, and he will be there when the season stars"
Everyone knows he'll be pitching next year, where is it that he'll be when the season starts? Are you insinuating that he will be in Chicago when the season starts?

maurice
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
He has been trying to get traded for the past 2 years, and they wont let it happen

Borchard and others were trying to get traded for years also, but KW takes his time. It's not that he planned to start Borchard on the Sox (hence the Dye signing). Rather, KW simply refuses to make a trade until he decides that it's beneficial to the Sox. If you're blocked in the meanwhile, you're just **** out of luck. It sucks, but minor-leaguers are just pawns to a big league club.

Phillips essentially had no trade value in 2005. He pitched poorly for Charlotte, so the Sox demoted him and made him repeat AA with mediocre results. He took a leap forward in 2006 and probably created some trade value, but KW still won't make a move until and unless it benefits the Sox.

he wanted to get out of the orginazation as its so hard to get into thier rotation , as you know how strong it was the championship year.

It's still hard to get into the Sox rotation, which is why Phillips needs to be traded. The only way Phillips opens the 2007 season in the Sox rotation is if several other starting pitchers are on the DL. No disrespect to Phillips. I think he really learned to pitch this year and will get a shot with another org . . . but KW likes to build with guys who have really good "stuff." Phillips doesn't fit that bill.

Britt Burns
10-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't think Phillips really figures in the Sox plans. With Cotts being so disappointing this year, it would have been a good time to see how Philiips, a lefty, might respond to some LOOGY work, and they didn't call him up. I think that tells you all you need to know.

California Sox
10-26-2006, 12:39 AM
KW likes to build with guys who have really good "stuff." Phillips doesn't fit that bill.

I don't disagree, but it makes you wonder why there's such a disconnect between that and who the Sox have drafted the last two years. McCulloch and Broadway have a lot of good qualities, but they don't have a reputation for really good stuff.

CleeFan101
10-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Tim redding has had a look and he looked bad in the majors, reason Buehrle was a late round is because many people didnt think he would sign and next year he would of been a top5 round pick, and than you never know how a knuckler will translate in the majors.

maurice
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
KW likes to build with guys who have really good "stuff." Phillips doesn't fit that bill.

I don't disagree, but it makes you wonder why there's such a disconnect between that and who the Sox have drafted the last two years. McCulloch and Broadway have a lot of good qualities, but they don't have a reputation for really good stuff.

Two possible explanations for this:
(1) KW acquires players for the MLB team, but he doesn't select players in the draft. KW thinks he sucks at college / HS evaluation.
(2) KW wants "stuff" guys for the MLB team, but is fine with drafting high-floor college pitchers to use in trades (like Royce Ring).

A. Cavatica
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Borchard and others were trying to get traded for years also, but KW takes his time. It's not that he planned to start Borchard on the Sox (hence the Dye signing). Rather, KW simply refuses to make a trade until he decides that it's beneficial to the Sox.

I don't completely disagree with your analysis of KW, but Borchard is a terrible example. His value kept going down, and down, and down further, until the Sox were faced with losing him. KW finally pulled the trigger because Borchard's stock couldn't go any lower. It turned out to be an absolute steal because they were able to get Thornton and "fix" him, but ultimately it was just luck. There's absolutely no way you can convince me that this was KW's plan for Borchard all along, and that he couldn't have made other beneficial trades sooner.

maurice
10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
There's absolutely no way you can convince me that this was KW's plan for Borchard all along

No, it definitely wasn't his plan "all along." His original plan was for Borchard to be the next Mickey Mantle. KW didn't trade him at this early stage, because he thought he would play for the Sox for a long, long time. I agree that this early stage is a horrible analogy to Phillips, and it's not what I was talking about.

At some point, however, it became abundantly clear to everybody that LTP had no future with the Sox. This happened at least a year before he was traded. In fact, LTP was trying to get out of the org for a couple of years, but KW refused to deal him until the last possible moment because he never got an offer nearly as good as Thornton. (Cooper had been asking for Thornton for a long time.) In the meanwhile, LTP was pissed, but he was just **** out of luck like Phillips. (This paragraph is based on statements made by LTP and KW at the time.)

Bajenaru is another recent example. KW didn't plan to add him to the staff but kept him around until he got an excellent offer. There probably will be more examples of guys who are unhappy to be stuck at Charlotte in the near future, unless KW moves a lot of guys this offseason.