PDA

View Full Version : Waiting until trouble arises....

JB98
09-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Has anyone else noticed the 2006 Sox have developed of habit of waiting until they get in trouble before they start playing good baseball? Take the last Detroit series for example. They dropped the first two games, and it was like they came to a realization: "Oh, ****! This division race could be over if we don't rally back and take the next two games." Then, they did exactly that.

Next, they dropped the first two games to Minnesota. Suddenly, they came to a realization: "Oh, ****! If we get swept, it could lead to problems in the wild-card race." They came out last Sunday and kicked the Twins ass.

Then, there are games like the one last night. We're behind by six runs against a terrible team. The Sox reaction: "Oh, ****! We better wake up and score some runs." They did that and fell just short. How many times have we seen that script this season? We're behind by multiple runs, and we mount a furious rally in the late innings that falls just short. We had the game on at work last night, and a co-worker and fellow Sox fan said to me in the eighth inning, "We're going to lose 7-6." At the time, the score was 7-1. It wasn't a perfect prediction, but it was pretty close. What ever happened to scoring in the first inning and making the other team play catch-up? Must we always wait for something bad to happen before we start playing ball?

Sorry for the rant, guys. We're 25-29 since July 1, and I'm sick of the losing. I don't know if someone took a dump in my Cheerios this morning or what, but I'm just in a lousy ****ing mood today. :mad:

CHISOXFAN13
09-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Has anyone else noticed the 2006 Sox have developed of habit of waiting until they get in trouble before they start playing good baseball? Take the last Detroit series for example. They dropped the first two games, and it was like they came to a realization: "Oh, ****! This division race could be over if we don't rally back and take the next two games." Then, they did exactly that.

Next, they dropped the first two games to Minnesota. Suddenly, they came to a realization: "Oh, ****! If we get swept, it could lead to problems in the wild-card race." They came out last Sunday and kicked the Twins ass.

Then, there are games like the one last night. We're behind by six runs against a terrible team. The Sox reaction: "Oh, ****! We better wake up and score some runs." They did that and fell just short. How many times have we seen that script this season? We're behind by multiple runs, and we mount a furious rally in the late innings that falls just short. We had the game on at work last night, and a co-worker and fellow Sox fan said to me in the eighth inning, "We're going to lose 7-6." At the time, the score was 7-1. It wasn't a perfect prediction, but it was pretty close. What ever happened to scoring in the first inning and making the other team play catch-up? Must we always wait for something bad to happen before we start playing ball?

Sorry for the rant, guys. We're 25-29 since July 1, and I'm sick of the losing. I don't know if someone took a dump in my Cheerios this morning or what, but I'm just in a lousy ****ing mood today. :mad:

Change the Cheerios to Golden Grahams and you are feeling the same way I am.

Need a ****ing win tonight.

CaptainBallz
09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
You are not alone. I woke up to find a monster loaf in my bowl of Cheerios as well.
And my Kool-Aid tastes like there's #1 in it.:(:

But yea, the Sox have this ridiculous tendency to at least seem like they lack urgency until they really need it and, even worse, lose urgency when they don't think they need it anymore (Last games of series).

It's old, tired, and obnoxious. I'm sick of playing the "Which pitcher is going to stink up the place tonight?" game. I'm sick of playing the "Watch us try and hit the 6 run homer when all we need is a single" game. And I'm sick of the "I'm Ozzie Guillen and I'm going to leave the team in a defensive disadvantage for no good reason" game. I'm actually pretty glad the game is on later so I can hopefully get in a better mood before this show comes on.

QCIASOXFAN
09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
You are not alone. I woke up to find a monster loaf in my bowl of Cheerios as well.
And my Kool-Aid tastes like there's #1 in it.:(: Oh my, and I thought I had a rough morning.:redneck

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I think there's too much armchair psychoanalyzing of this team. "Do they lack the killer instinct?" "do they play down to their competition," "are they complacent because they won a world series," "does Paulie need to step up and be a captain?" "do we miss Rowand, Carl, and Timo's presence in the clubhouse" "do pitchers pitch poorly because Thome hits home runs," "do our hitter swing for th efences because Thome hits home runs," "do we lack the ozzieball mentality of last year"?

All that crap. It's lunacy. There are some problems with this team, but we hear the same psychoanalytical bull**** every year as if this team is in dire need of a sports psychologist. This includes last year during our "incredible collapse." AS much as I hate Manuel, I'm beginning to see how getting down on him instead of blaming players who don't get the job done is just like what's above, and therefore i'm rethinking my position on the issue. (not that I'm losing much sleep on the issue)

soxtalker
09-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I think that we might want to give the other team some credit for this. Yes, the Sox battled back last night, but we did so only after their starter, Hernandez, had left the game. And, though we did get to their bullpen, I wonder if the pitching might have been a bit tougher in a close game.

soxinem1
09-02-2006, 03:19 PM
We should actually consider it a testimony on how far we've come as a team.

I remember having these gripes against almost all the 1970's teams, 1980's teams, 1990's teams, and all of the Y2K teams, except the first 2/3 of last season. The exceptions were the first 2/3 of 1977, first 3/5 of 1982, second half of 1983, 1990 (except August), second half of 1993, 1994, first 2/3 of 1996, and the first half of 2000. I could disect the rest of this decade's teams, but why bother.

Though I am resigned to competing for the Wild Card, we should be fortunate to be fans of reigning World Champion, be 20+ games over .500, and not be happy.

I have to say, though, this squad reminds me a lot of the 2003 team that had trouble beating inferior opponents.

Welcome to the world of high expectations, White Sox fans!!!!

batmanZoSo
09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I think there's too much armchair psychoanalyzing of this team. "Do they lack the killer instinct?" "do they play down to their competition," "are they complacent because they won a world series," "does Paulie need to step up and be a captain?" "do we miss Rowand, Carl, and Timo's presence in the clubhouse" "do pitchers pitch poorly because Thome hits home runs," "do our hitter swing for th efences because Thome hits home runs," "do we lack the ozzieball mentality of last year"?

All that crap. It's lunacy. There are some problems with this team, but we hear the same psychoanalytical bull**** every year as if this team is in dire need of a sports psychologist. This includes last year during our "incredible collapse." AS much as I hate Manuel, I'm beginning to see how getting down on him instead of blaming players who don't get the job done is just like what's above, and therefore i'm rethinking my position on the issue. (not that I'm losing much sleep on the issue)

I agree. We as fans have no clue of the dynamic inside the clubhouse, or what goes on in there, what the morale is, what the morale should be, how to stay focused during a six-month season, how to deal with slumps and overcome them. I guess it's a by-product of watching a supremely talented team underachieve, but it's still BS in my opinion. And I'll say again how I hate the phrase "killer instinct." There's no such thing as killer instinct. It's called performing and this team hasn't done it, period.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
JB:

A few ways to look at this. I agree it's been a major issue.

Do you 'blame' the players...professional players for not having enough professionalism to play hard from the first inning on every game for the entire season?

Or do you 'blame' the manager for allowing it to happen time after time after time after time without pitching a bitch, throwing a fit or doing a damn thing to try to solve it?

Lip

JB98
09-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I think that we might want to give the other team some credit for this. Yes, the Sox battled back last night, but we did so only after their starter, Hernandez, had left the game. And, though we did get to their bullpen, I wonder if the pitching might have been a bit tougher in a close game.

The Sox made three errors on three consecutive plays. I can't give credit to the Royals for that. Poor defense ruined our chances, regardless of what the opposing pitching staff is doing.

JB98
09-02-2006, 04:13 PM
JB:

Do you 'blame' the players...professional players for not having enough professionalism to play hard from the first inning on every game for the entire season?

Or do you 'blame' the manager for allowing it to happen time after time after time after time without pitching a bitch, throwing a fit or doing a damn thing to try to solve it?

Lip

I just don't understand how this team could play 26 games over .500 for the first three months of the year, and then go 25-29 over the course of the following two months. It's been a sharp, extended drop, and I don't get it.

I've defended this team against people who claim they have no heart, or say they aren't trying hard enough. But this horse**** brand of baseball we're playing is starting to wear me down. My cousin's ****ing Little League team doesn't make three errors on three consecutive plays. Enough is enough.

I guess you could call last night's loss the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'm mad as hell, and I want to see this team start playing to its potential. I'm weary of trying to explain away bad losses.

Myrtle72
09-02-2006, 04:39 PM
The Sox made three errors on three consecutive plays. I can't give credit to the Royals for that. Poor defense ruined our chances, regardless of what the opposing pitching staff is doing.

BUT in terms of offence, the Sox were pretty quiet until their starter left.

MarySwiss
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
JB:

Lip

Lip:

I blame both--and neither. What Batman said in the post right above yours hit the nail on the head; this is a supremely talented team that is underachieving. Simple as that. But not easy to fix, apparently.

I think that, by-and-large, the players are playing hard and I think the manager is trying to solve it. For some reason, they are just not putting it all together. And if they don't start soon....well, we'll still have our DVDs and books and World Series memorabilia. No one can take that away.

Look, we all knew that the day would come when the Sox would no longer be Defending World Series Champions. I think we could all deal with that eventuality. But to potentially see it happen when they are still the most talented team in baseball--and I firmly believe that, so don't bother arguiing it!--is hard to take.

JB98
09-02-2006, 05:03 PM
BUT in terms of offence, the Sox were pretty quiet until their starter left.

Not arguing that. But if the Sox play good defense, they're down 2-1 or 3-1 instead of 7-1. That would make it much easier to pull off a late-inning comeback against the KC bullpen, no?

JB98
09-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Lip:

I blame both--and neither. What Batman said in the post right above yours hit the nail on the head; this is a supremely talented team that is underachieving. Simple as that. But not easy to fix, apparently.

I think that, by-and-large, the players are playing hard and I think the manager is trying to solve it. For some reason, they are just not putting it all together. And if they don't start soon....well, we'll still have our DVDs and books and World Series memorabilia. No one can take that away.

Look, we all knew that the day would come when the Sox would no longer be Defending World Series Champions. I think we could all deal with that eventuality. But to potentially see it happen when they are still the most talented team in baseball--and I firmly believe that, so don't bother arguiing it!--is hard to take.

Your last paragraph cuts right to the heart of my anger/disappointment. This should be a playoff team. There's absolutely no reason for them not to be. And I still think they will make the playoffs.

There are 28 games left to play. And it's time to end the alibis, the excuses, the sloppy play and all the other bull****. Enough is enough. Let's beat the snot out of the last-place Royals tonight and get a winning streak going, for crying out loud. Can we all drink to that? :gulp:

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
JB:

Lip

Lip--no matter how "professional" you are, no matter how "keyed in" you are, every team has down periods. The key is to minimize the down periods and maximize the up periods. This year it's seemed like the White Sox are just a little worse than average at this, given their talent. Things even out. If the White Sox miss the playoffs this year, it will be because they didn't deserve to make it due to poor pitching. That's my take.

Some games the offense has had good games, sometimes it's had poor games. Some players have played better than expected, some have played worse. But the offense has in general done what they needed to do. What they missed from last year in sacrificing themselves to move runners over, or stealing bases, they've made up for in producing a lot more runs. It's a tradeoff, and to obsess over the "mindset" of a professional athlete seems excessive.

No one on this team save a few (Juan Uribe for instance) has had their head up their ass. Sometimes they made bad plays, sometimes they didn't. Blame Ozzie for having Mackowiack out there but the lack of defense in that case isn't a "lack of concentration". It's not a "Wait until trouble arises" mentality.

Given how we've pitched, we don't deserve to make the playoffs. It's as simple as that. If our offense can pick us up and drive us in the playoffs, wonderful. If our pitching can step up and become good again, great. But we're not entitled to anything. We don't have the best team right now. We don't have the third best team right now. We don't have a playoff team right now.

MarySwiss
09-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Your last paragraph cuts right to the heart of my anger/disappointment. This should be a playoff team. There's absolutely no reason for them not to be. And I still think they will make the playoffs.

There are 28 games left to play. And it's time to end the alibis, the excuses, the sloppy play and all the other bull****. Enough is enough. Let's beat the snot out of the last-place Royals tonight and get a winning streak going, for crying out loud. Can we all drink to that? :gulp:

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 05:43 PM

We have the most talented offense in baseball. Our pitching is not the most talented in baseball, wasn't even last year. They played wonderfully last year and were AMONG the most talented in baseball. No one in our rotation has great numbers. There have been some stretches when individual pitchers have been tremendous (Jose's 1st half, Jonny's 2nd half), but no one is pitching well on the whole. We don't have a single starter who deserves Cy Young consideration, nor do we have one that will GET CY Young consideration.

Our bullpen was supposed to be a weakness heading in, and it's a weakness now.

I don't understand how we're SUPPOSED to be a playoff team.

MarySwiss
09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
We have the most talented offense in baseball. Our pitching is not the most talented in baseball, wasn't even last year. They played wonderfully last year and were AMONG the most talented in baseball. No one in our rotation has great numbers. There have been some stretches when individual pitchers have been tremendous (Jose's 1st half, Jonny's 2nd half), but no one is pitching well on the whole. We don't have a single starter who deserves Cy Young consideration, nor do we have one that will GET CY Young consideration.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. This is the same starting pitching staff that pitched four complete games to win last year's ALCS. The talent is there; it's just not rising to the challenge.

I still think this team is easily the most talented in baseball. Which guarantees nothing.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 05:49 PM
See White Sox, 2003.

MarySwiss
09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
See White Sox, 2003.

They finished 2nd. Your point?

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree. This is the same starting pitching staff that pitched four complete games to win last year's ALCS. The talent is there; it's just not rising to the challenge.

I still think this team is easily the most talented in baseball. Which guarantees nothing.

They are talented, but not that talented.

Jose is an ace

Javier and Freddy have ace stuff but can't pitch

Jon has good stuff and knows how to pitch

Mark knows how to pitch.

I don't want to say career years because that's not the point. The point is, they have the ability. The ability and the talent, to me are a different thing...they're not pitching well this year. It's not necessarily their fault (except for Freddy)...some pitchers just have bad years. So I would argue that this year, the talent's not really there, regardless of what they did last year.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
The 2003 White Sox in August that year were arguably the best team in the American League, at least talent-wise.

They lost to inferior talent but a superior manager and team concept.

JB98
09-02-2006, 07:41 PM

You honestly don't think this team should be among the four best in the American League? If not, you win the argument.

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 08:51 PM
You honestly don't think this team should be among the four best in the American League? If not, you win the argument.
You're right. I think we're better than Oakland. But I don't necessarily think we're better than Minn, Detroit, or NYY. Unfortunately for us, being better than Oakland doesn't make a hill of beans of difference.

You want to call up Selig and have him restructure the divisional system so only the 4 best teams go to the playoffs, that's fine.

But strawmen, strawmen, strawmen, etc

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure what talent has to do w/ anything, or we would have won in 2002, 2003, 2004 and this year again.

We had the lowest ERA in the AL last year, or were percentage points behind the Angels. Our bullpen was the best, if not THE best in the AL. Our staff this year is getting paid around $50 million, so somebody must have thought they were pretty talented.

We didn't have any starters last year that deserved the Cy Young, and we don't have one this year. What's new? We've never been a team of individual accomplishments. If Loiaza had won the Cy Young in 2003, would it have made the season results any better? Was he the most talented pitcher? Of course not, he just had an incredible season and rode his cutter most of the way.

Our pen is not as good as the Twins or Tigers, but it is very solid. I bet there are 23-25 teams in baseball that would trade to get what we have for what they have. Other teams' announcers have been consistently mentioning we have a very talented and formidable pen now with MacDougal, Thornton and Jenks.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 08:55 PM
You're right. I think we're better than Oakland. But I don't necessarily think we're better than Minn, Detroit, or NYY. Unfortunately for us, being better than Oakland doesn't make a hill of beans of difference.

You want to call up Selig and have him restructure the divisional system so only the 4 best teams go to the playoffs, that's fine.

But strawmen, strawmen, strawmen, etc

Our line-up doesn't match up with a team of 9 All-Stars. No team in baseball does. But they can be beaten by good pitching, as they were last year by the Angels (and in 2002 as well).

Minnesota, with Liriano and Radke healthy, you can make an argument they might be better. But not without those two. Baker pitched well today, but throwing Silva, Bonser, Garza and Baker down the stretch will catch up to them. If it doesn't, you tip your hat to them and go home.

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure what talent has to do w/ anything, or we would have won in 2002, 2003, 2004 and this year again.

We had the lowest ERA in the AL last year, or were percentage points behind the Angels. Our bullpen was the best, if not THE best in the AL. Our staff this year is getting paid around $50 million, so somebody must have thought they were pretty talented.

We didn't have any starters last year that deserved the Cy Young, and we don't have one this year. What's new? We've never been a team of individual accomplishments. If Loiaza had won the Cy Young in 2003, would it have made the season results any better? Was he the most talented pitcher? Of course not, he just had an incredible season and rode his cutter most of the way.

Our pen is not as good as the Twins or Tigers, but it is very solid. I bet there are 23-25 teams in baseball that would trade to get what we have for what they have. Other teams' announcers have been consistently mentioning we have a very talented and formidable pen now with MacDougal, Thornton and Jenks.

We're talking about talent, but we should be talking about output.

If talent were the issue, then Rick Ankiel, John Rocker, and Brien Taylor would be in the HOF.

Who cares about talent. The pitchers aren't pitching well. You can put that on the coaching or the attitude of the team if you want. I'm not so ready to seel out Coop or Konerko (the captain).

I think sometimes "talent" (and when you look at our staff, no one has ever accused them of being the most talented in baseball) manifests itself in career years, sometimes it manifests itself in career bad years.

Call it what you will, this year we have had lousy pitching and therefore if that doesn't change we don't belong in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with Konerko, Rowand, Thome, Dye, Crede, Uribe, dogging it, killer instinct, anything. It has VERY LITTLE to do with the Anderson/Rowand/Mackowiack debate (although that effects pitching through its defense so its worth noting in that respect).

This isn't rocket science, and far more eloquent posters than I have pointed it out time and again: IT IS PITCHING. If you're looking for a quick fix or sound byte to summarize our floundering this year it's twofold:

a.) great performances by the Twins and Tigers

b.) POOR PITCHING.

Look no further fellas, you found it.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 09:32 PM
But wouldn't you say the Twins' have overachieved this year?

Or are they really that good? Keep in mind, Punto is playing 2B, Lui Rodriguez 3B, Nevin DH, and Tyner/White/Ford in LF.

And I'm not ready to put Jason Bartlett in the HOF either.

Most experts thought we had the deepest rotation in the majors coming into the season. The most talented, probably Florida, the Angels, Red Sox and a couple of other teams. Possibly the A's.

fquaye149
09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
But wouldn't you say the Twins' have overachieved this year?

Or are they really that good? Keep in mind, Punto is playing 2B, Lui Rodriguez 3B, Nevin DH, and Tyner/White/Ford in LF.

And I'm not ready to put Jason Bartlett in the HOF either.

Most experts thought we had the deepest rotation in the majors coming into the season. The most talented, probably Florida, the Angels, Red Sox and a couple of other teams. Possibly the A's.
To me there's no such thing as "overachieving." Then again, on the other hand, I don't believe in using past success (brief success, that is, ala Jason Bartlett) as a barometer for future success. See the 2006 Indians for reasons why

a.) there's no such thing as "playing above your head"

b.) why so-called "playing above your head" doesn't guarantee future success.

Don't get me wrong--when you have a guy like Manny or Delgado you can make a general prediction based on a long career of consistency. But with our starters, there was no reason to EXPECT them to be awesome again this year. It wouldn't have been shocking if they were great...but on the other hand it's not shocking they've regressed a little.

The point is 2005's Sox didn't overachieve or underachieve. They achieved. They did what they did. Period. 2006 Sox are doing what they're doing. Period. Is it disappointing? Certainly. Is it unexplainable? Not at all

Grzegorz
09-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Lip

I am in the personal responsibility camp; the onus rests with the players.

Ozzie can't instill fear into these players to get them to win at all costs; Ozzie is not Josef Stalin...

digdagdug23
09-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I am in the personal responsibility camp; the onus rests with the players.

Ozzie can't instill fear into these players to get them to win at all costs; Ozzie is not Josef Stalin...

I dunno, he did a pretty good impression of him last year.

As far as morale in the clubhouse, all players when they are talking to the media say it is great, lots of commraderie, good vibes, so unless they are ALL lying, I don't think the morale of the team is down. They never look like it on the bench, during interviews.

However, that being said, I have listened to and read interviews of one player that seems to always want to blame others for his own significant lackings. **coug cough** Freddy**cough cough**.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-02-2006, 10:53 PM
After we lost to Tampa at home after having a late lead, Ozzie after the game basically said that was cool and winning 2 of 3 was great. That scared the Hell out of me!!!!! To be saying that in basically September........well we may have identified where this teams lack or urgency is coming from. From the top. It isn't May anymore Ozzie, get a KILLER INSTINCT and get it in a hurry.

fquaye149
09-03-2006, 03:27 AM
I dunno, he did a pretty good impression of him last year.

Um what? Ozzie did a good Stalin impression? I forgot when he killed team members' loved ones when Sox players performed poorly.

That's what it would probably take to get us to pitche well this year.

And Freddy would proably still **** the bed.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Although it wasn't unusual for Stalin to kill family members or relatives, lol. Anyone who threatened his hold on power. To the Gulag, Garcia!

JB98
09-04-2006, 02:38 AM
After we lost to Tampa at home after having a late lead, Ozzie after the game basically said that was cool and winning 2 of 3 was great. That scared the Hell out of me!!!!! To be saying that in basically September........well we may have identified where this teams lack or urgency is coming from. From the top. It isn't May anymore Ozzie, get a KILLER INSTINCT and get it in a hurry.

I've read where Konerko has said in the paper several times, "We're just trying to win series." Could that explain why they've won the first two games of a series, only to lose the third game, on 10 separate occasions this season?

Hell, we've already got the series win. Let's just pitch Cotts in the third game.

At this point in the season, the focus should be on winning that day's game. Who gives a damn whether we won or lost the previous day's game?

sox1970
09-04-2006, 06:44 AM
I've read where Konerko has said in the paper several times, "We're just trying to win series." Could that explain why they've won the first two games of a series, only to lose the third game, on 10 separate occasions this season?

Hell, we've already got the series win. Let's just pitch Cotts in the third game.

At this point in the season, the focus should be on winning that day's game. Who gives a damn whether we won or lost the previous day's game?

I've always hated the "winning series" theory. It's stupid to think you'll win every series, so you need some sweeps to offset them. The fastest way to the playoffs is to have a few 15-5 stretches during the season. You have to string wins in order to do that.

Unfortunately, this pitching staff doesn't seem capable of stringing 5 quality starts together. Hopefully 93-94 wins gets in the playoffs, but we'll have to thank the Twins and Red Sox for getting hurt. We're not injured; we just suck.

soxinem1
09-04-2006, 07:05 AM
All these conspiracies are great, but no one has hardly mentioned about the fact that it is so hard to repeat, period. Sure, the Yankees did a few years back, but they never cakewalked to the titles. They were outstanding teams that featured pros who knew how to win, and not a bunch of high-priced talent having career seasons.

When you are champions, everyone is gunning for you, and even the D-Rays and Royals of the world can give you a hard time. I tried to point this out before the season started when I posted my 'Let's be cautiously optimistic' thread, but I was labeled a dark cloud and a pessimist.

I remembe the 1980 Yankee team with 103 wins went home five days into the playoffs, while the 1973 Mets, 1987 Twins, and 1997 Indians team with barely over 80 wins won the World Series or came within a hair of doing so. Sometimes a battle brings out the best in a team, ala the 2005 White Sox.

This team is 22 over .500 and despite the nerve-wracking play since the last Sox/cub game, in contetion for a playoff spot. Unlike the Braves teams that usually walked into the playoffs and went home shortly after, I think it is better for this team to have to fight if they don't want to suffer the same fate as those Atlanta teams or the 1980 Yankees.

greenpeach
09-04-2006, 07:36 AM
I just don't understand how this team could play 26 games over .500 for the first three months of the year, and then go 25-29 over the course of the following two months. It's been a sharp, extended drop, and I don't get it.

It's pitching...pitching & more pitching.