PDA

View Full Version : Last call-ups from Charlotte/Birm

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 08:21 AM
"(Josh) Fields, Hermanson and maybe (Sean) Tracey," Guillen said, listing a third baseman and two pitchers, respectively. "It's not 100 percent, but I know if Hermanson is ready, he's going to come up, and I feel he should be here to help us. In the Tracey situation, it's up to (general manager Ken Williams)."

from dailysouthtown.com

Not exactly news, but no Redding and Montero. That kind of tells us where they stand. Interesting comment about Tracey.

JB98
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
"(Josh) Fields, Hermanson and maybe (Sean) Tracey," Guillen said, listing a third baseman and two pitchers, respectively. "It's not 100 percent, but I know if Hermanson is ready, he's going to come up, and I feel he should be here to help us. In the Tracey situation, it's up to (general manager Ken Williams)."

from dailysouthtown.com

Not exactly news, but no Redding and Montero. That kind of tells us where they stand. Interesting comment about Tracey.

Hasn't Montero been pitching poorly the second half? I thought I saw his ERA up over 5.00 the last time I looked at the Charlotte statistics. I wasn't impressed with the guy when he was up earlier anyway.

I would like to see Tracey get a recall. Haeger surprised me with a nice outing last night. Since the starters aren't getting that deep into games, I wouldn't mind having another arm in the bullpen for long relief. Hopefully, Ozzie will move McCarthy from long relief to middle relief and kick Cotts and Riske to the curb. Those two should only pitch in blowouts for the rest of the year.

ondafarm
09-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I think the issue is: who is on the playoff roster?

Riske and Cotts haven't been performing, but do you want to risk throwing a rookie in there?

JorgeFabregas
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I thought you couldn't put anyone on the playoff roster that wasn't called up before Sept. 1.

JB98
09-02-2006, 06:17 PM

Riske and Cotts haven't been performing, but do you want to risk throwing a rookie in there?

It seems like they intend to put Owens on the playoff roster. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made the move to put him on the DL before Sept. 1. If Owens is on, who is off? Do they carry 15 positions players and only 10 pitchers? And if they carry only 10 pitchers is whoever they perceive as the fifth starter the odd man out? Or is it Cotts or Riske.

Or, are they going to keep Owens and get rid of one of the 14 position players who have been with the big club the whole year? I'd hate to see Gload or Ozuna left off the playoff roster after the contributions they've made this season.

anewman35
09-02-2006, 10:30 PM
It seems like they intend to put Owens on the playoff roster. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made the move to put him on the DL before Sept. 1. If Owens is on, who is off? Do they carry 15 positions players and only 10 pitchers? And if they carry only 10 pitchers is whoever they perceive as the fifth starter the odd man out? Or is it Cotts or Riske.

I think the trick to it is this - if they keep Owens on the DL, then when it's playoff time they can put Owens on the playoff roster, and then since he's on the DL they can replace him with anyone they want. I think that's how Francisco Rodriguez made the playoff roster his first year with the Angels, despite not coming up until September. I can't imagine there's actually any thought to putting Owens on the playoff roster after he hadn't been on the team at all.

soxfanatlanta
09-02-2006, 10:47 PM
but do you want to risk throwing a rookie in there?

:jenks:"What's wrong with that?"

DaleJRFan
09-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Owens played today for Charlotte.... since he was called up and put on the DL, is his playing time in AAA considered "rehab" ???

soxinem1
09-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Like the Angels did a few years ago with that guy that had 5 2/3 innings of ML experience?

Sometimes the element of suprise can work.

I got a bigger kick out of the Hermanson comments. They want him to stay and help the AAA team in the playoffs, while their best pitcher gets brought up to the bigs. That's a joke.