PDA

View Full Version : The Problem Revealed...

SluggersAway
09-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Ozzie in The Sun Times today:

''A lot of people think 'Ozzie Ball,' but we haven't played 'Ozzie Ball' all year long,'' Guillen said.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox01.html

Yes, that includes the pitching.

Defensive lapses, lack of situational hitting, and seeing your hitters swing for the fences leads to a much poorer effort by the pitcher.

greygoose
09-01-2006, 11:22 PM
The hitters are usually swinging for the fences to make up for the 7 spot that the pitching puts up.

Huisj
09-01-2006, 11:24 PM
The hitters are usually swinging for the fences to make up for the 7 spot that the pitching puts up.
or in tonight's case, the pitching and the defense (or lack of).

SluggersAway
09-01-2006, 11:25 PM
The hitters today waited till the fifth to put up one run.

That has not been an isolated incident.

Thus they swing for the fences the rest of the game.

Tragg
09-01-2006, 11:26 PM
With Cintron and Rob M in Center, the manager is leaving his best defensive team in the dugout. That may be part of the reason we aren't playing good D.
Now Rob M is a good hitter....Cintron, however, is a poor hitter.

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Hopefully, this is putting to bed all those, well, "we can trade Uribe and stick Cintron out there and get the same results" threads.

santo=dorf
09-01-2006, 11:38 PM
So let me get this straight: "Ozzie ball" consists of good pitching, timely hitting, hitting home runs, getting the man over, play strong defense, not swinging for the fences, and stealing bases.

Did I cover it all? :?:

It's so simple!!!

Lip Man 1
09-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Dorf:

No you didn't. Ozzie Ball is a mind set. A philosophy that 'we're going to do anything we have to to put pressure on you (the opposition).'

'We're going to advance our runners into scoring position, we're going to steal bases, we're going to aggresively take the extra base, we're going to catch the friggin' baseball, we're going to beat you anyway we have to including by hitting home runs.'

I haven't seen that attitude since June.

It really is THAT simple.

Lip

samram
09-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Dorf:

No you didn't. Ozzie Ball is a mind set. A philosophy that 'we're going to do anything we have to to put pressure on you (the opposition).'

'We're going to advance our runners into scoring position, we're going to steal bases, we're going to aggresively take the extra base, we're going to catch the friggin' baseball, we're going to beat you anyway we have to including by hitting home runs.'

I haven't seen that attitude since June.

It really is THAT simple.

Lip

The "catch the friggin' baseball" item would be aided by the use of the best defensive players on the team, which has happened far too seldom this season. I think Ozzie has some culpability in the lack of "Ozzie ball" or whatever.

itsnotrequired
09-02-2006, 09:12 AM
For what it's worth, the Sox lead the majors for average with runners in scoring position at .312. They are 6th in the majors for average with RISP and two outs at .270 (4th in the AL).

However, the pitching staff has an ERA of 10.07 with RISP, 6th worse in the majors and 4th worse in the AL. Only the Rangers, Royals and Devil Rays are worse. With 2 outs and RISP, the Sox have the 8th worse ERA in the majors at 21.28 (5th in the AL).

People talk about lack of clutch hitting but it really is a lack of clutch pitching. I've said it before and I'll say it again: OFFENSE IS NOT THIS TEAM"S PROBLEM!!!! Sox lead the majors in hits, home runs and slugging percentage. They are tied with Minnesota for the highest average. They are second in runs and RBIs.

WSox597
09-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by samram
I think Ozzie has some culpability in the lack of "Ozzie ball" or whatever.

Agreed, Mackowiak is not making out the lineups. Neither is Cintron. Mack is not bringing Cotts in to pitch in tight games when it's obvious to everybody in the game that Cotts has nothing.

Ozzie bears much of the blame for this season's failings. That, and the pitching just flat out going to hell for who knows what reason.

The maddening thing is, even with all of the faults, perceived and real, the Sox are still better than 20 games over .500. So it's not like they've completely lost it.

Chips
09-02-2006, 09:37 AM
People talk about lack of clutch hitting but it really is a lack of clutch pitching. I've said it before and I'll say it again: OFFENSE IS NOT THIS TEAM"S PROBLEM!!!! Sox lead the majors in hits, home runs and slugging percentage. They are tied with Minnesota for the highest average. They are second in runs and RBIs.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

greenpeach
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
For what it's worth, the Sox lead the majors for average with runners in scoring position at .312. They are 6th in the majors for average with RISP and two outs at .270 (4th in the AL).

However, the pitching staff has an ERA of 10.07 with RISP, 6th worse in the majors and 4th worse in the AL. Only the Rangers, Royals and Devil Rays are worse. With 2 outs and RISP, the Sox have the 8th worse ERA in the majors at 21.28 (5th in the AL).

Finally, a voice of reason in a sea of insanity. Some people on this board just love to overanalyze the situation.