PDA

View Full Version : Karstens and Rassner?

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Never heard of them?

They're the starters for the Yankees on Saturday and Sunday against the Twins.

Even though it's "only" Baker and Garza going those two games, I think the Twins will manage at least one win.

Kind of sucks they miss Johnson, Mussina (comes off DL next week) AND Wang, because of the rainout on Tuesday against DET. And, of course, they don't start Philip Hughes, arguably the best starter in the minors this season.

We just need to take care of our games I guess...but we certainly haven't had many breaks this season.

If it was the White Sox facing those Yankees pitchers, we'd probably be 0-3 versus the "scrubs" and 2-1 or 3-0 against their three best.

jabrch
09-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Grrrrrr

Oops - didn't look to see the same thread. Please delete.

StillMissOzzie
09-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Kind of sucks they miss Johnson, Mussina (comes off DL next week) AND Wang, because of the rainout on Tuesday against DET. And, of course, they don't start Philip Hughes, arguably the best starter in the minors this season.

We just need to take care of our games I guess...but we certainly haven't had many breaks this season.

If it was the White Sox facing those Yankees pitchers, we'd probably be 0-3 versus the "scrubs" and 2-1 or 3-0 against their three best.

Your comments got me curious, so I had to go back and verify the details of the 8/8 - 8/10 2-1 series win over the Yankmees.
8/8: Wang started, got a ND, Sox tied the game off of Rivera, won it off Proctor
8/9: Johnson started, got the win, but their bullpen almost pissed it away as Sox got 4 off of Farnsworth, Rivera got the save
8/10: Mussina started, Sox win

So yeah, the Sox faced Wang, Johnson, & Mussina as starters and got a push vs. Rivera (blew a save, got a save) . The Sox faced their best and won two out of three. And the Twinkies get to face WHO?

SMO
:angry:

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Not only that, but we really deserved the tie if the umps would have had the guts to call a balk on Rivera in the other game in that series.

And we were THIS close to knicking him in NY, w/ the famous AJ at-bat that ended up in a flyout to RF.

However, we did play them without Matsui, Sheffield, Cano, etc. They had A. Phillips, Guiel, Crosby and Cairo playing key roles and still whupped us.

socko82
09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Remnants of the hurricane heading into NYC so very possible they don't play today. It's possible the rain could hang around all weekend and wash out tomorrow as well. I looked at their schedules and they don't share an off day the rest of the year. It could set up where the Twins have to go back to New York the day after the season and play a make up, possibly a doubleheader. It would be interesting to see if Torre played it straight and tried to knock out the Twins to avoid Santana in a short series or if he would tank it. He chose to tank the last day of the season last year and it cost him home field against the Angels and very possibly that series. Wonder if he learned his lesson.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 09:39 AM
That freaking front goes all the way from New England to Detroit.

No way they play today, and probably tomorrow's game is gone too, as mentioned.

I guess this could go two ways. I prefer to think positively...that it's actually a break for us, because Mussina will be back. Hopefully, the Yankees will have motivation to knock the Twins out instead of the Sox (this will certainly be the case if Liriano is back this month).

Whatever happens, it sets up a very interesting final week if things continue like this...and it does require some thinking on the part of the Twins as far as which team/s to use Santana and Liriano (if starting) against.

EDIT: 930 AM
After looking into this in more detail, I'm "90% sure" that they will end up playing a DH and getting both games in tomorrow, lol.