PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely Already posted

RichH55
02-25-2002, 02:17 AM
White Sox - "A lot of their pitching is already in the majors," says the scout, "but they're still strong in that department. A top-tier organization."

The director agrees. "Good system. Not great on hitters, but a lot of pitching. I'd put them in the top ten overall."

The scout will be watching phenom Jon Rauch, 22, who's coming off season-ending shoulder surgery last season.

"This kid blew everyone away in 2000, but there was obviously something wrong with him last season. When I saw him, his velocity was down, and his arm angle was inconsistent. I'm not surprised it turned out he was hurt."

The scout loves his size on the mound (6-foot-11') and his poise. He also praises his control, particularly for being such a big guy. "Plus fastball, slider and curve. I want to see him make progress with his change, though. If he does that, he's going to dominate."

The director will keep one eye on outfielder Joe Borchard, 23. "He really impressed last season," he says. "It was his first full season in the minors, and he showed great power. He took some walks, but he also struck out too much. But, again, it was his first time against professional pitching for any extended period of time.

"I think he's a star in the making. Switch-hitter. He's not a great defensive center fielder, but he's not bad, and his arm is terrific. It won't surprise me to see him in Chicago by the end of the year. I'd liken him to a switch-hitting Jim Edmonds, except he's not as good with the glove."