PDA

View Full Version : Gload dilemma

my5thbench
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Surely Ross won't be satisfied with being the last man on the bench again next year. The man is a pro, we all know that he can throw some leather at 1st base, but daggummittt, I swear he could be a perennial 300 hitter, he's got such a sweet stroke, I heard McCarthy say he was the best looking hitter he has seen, or something to that effect.

How in the world are the Sox going to keep this guy & keep him happy...I;m certain he's better than most team's 1st basemen, perhaps shy in the power area but other than that he's got all the tools.

DaleJRFan
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Surely Ross won't be satisfied with being the last man on the bench again next year. The man is a pro, we all know that he can throw some leather at 1st base, but daggummittt, I swear he could be a perennial 300 hitter, he's got such a sweet stroke, I heard McCarthy say he was the best looking hitter he has seen, or something to that effect.

How in the world are the Sox going to keep this guy & keep him happy...I;m certain he's better than most team's 1st basemen, perhaps shy in the power area but other than that he's got all the tools.

Gload could/would be a 300/15/80 guy for AL teams, imagine what he would do in the NL.

I find it hard to believe that Ross wants to give up the chance to play for a serious contender and possibly win the world series every year (which he gets in Chicago).

The fact that the Sox own his rights for a few more years, Thome won't see regular playing time at 1B, he is a competent professional hitter, can bunt, field, run - I think he'll be here a while.

JB98
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM

For the most part, I disagree. Ross made two errors on the last homestand. He has better range than Konerko, especially to his right, but I've never bought the hype on his supposedly brilliant defense.

He's a good hitter off the bench, and he's done a pretty good job this season. But I don't think he'd hit .300 playing every day. There are probably six or seven teams in MLB he could start for, but none of them are contenders.

eriqjaffe
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Maybe we could trade him for Carl Crawford.

DaleJRFan
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
For the most part, I disagree. Ross made two errors on the last homestand. He has better range than Konerko, especially to his right, but I've never bought the hype on his supposedly brilliant defense.

He's a good hitter off the bench, and he's done a pretty good job this season. But I don't think he'd hit .300 playing every day. There are probably six or seven teams in MLB he could start for, but none of them are contenders.

He has much better range and softer hands than Konerko. He is a better defender, but its fair to say that it is difficult to play gold glove defense when you only get to play two or three times a month. Gload's issues as a fielder are with throwing, which is odd because his strength in the outfield is his throwing accuracy.

Scottzilla
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
i have been thinking the past two years that ross is gonna end up one of those guys we hate seeing on another team. but hell have to wait for konerko to retire or something

Jerko
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
I've seen Gload miss a few scoops the past few weeks that Paulie routinely handles. A lot of those don't go as errors on him, but I don't think he's an upgrade at all defensively. I also saw him airmail a throw into left center recently. So, he's not as good as Konerko at scoops, OR at throwing, but he's deemed a "superior" defensive player? I just don't agree. Let Gload DH when Thome is out.

MrX
09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
With the number of balls that the other IFs throw in the dirt I'll take Paulie anyday of the week over Gload.

Is Gload going to become of the White Sox version of the Bears #2 QB?

slobes
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't have any problem with him on the bench. He's one of our primo bench players--he can hit for average, hit a HR every once in a blue moon, field is average or better. The only thing to consider is if he is happy with his situation. By guess is that he is. Especially with Ozzie's style, the benchplayers play more than they would if they were on another team.

ondafarm
09-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Given the choice between riding the pines for a contender and playing everyday for an also-ran I think most players would take the contender. Ozzie's constant use of his bench players would almost certainly tip the balance IMHO.

Three times during my career I was called up from the AA club to the AAA club. The AA club contended for the league championship two of three years, the AAA club sucked. The manager of the AAA club treated it as a perpetual training camp, he would occasionaly call upon one guy to bunt all five times he was up in one game. He also hated non-Japanese players and refused to even let me warm-up pitchers either in the pen or while the catcher was putting his gear on (made the third out of the inning.)

Each time I got called up after a few games of just sitting on the bench, I requested to be returned to AA and my contender.

hold2dibber
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Gload could/would be a 300/15/80 guy for AL teams, imagine what he would do in the NL.

I find it hard to believe that Ross wants to give up the chance to play for a serious contender and possibly win the world series every year (which he gets in Chicago).

The fact that the Sox own his rights for a few more years, Thome won't see regular playing time at 1B, he is a competent professional hitter, can bunt, field, run - I think he'll be here a while.

I love it! What a difference a year makes. I'm not sure I'm quite as optimistic as you, but it's nice to be able to make those kinds of statements with a straight face.

hold2dibber
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Gload is not a young guy (probably pushing 30), has accomplished everything he can accomplish in the minors and has a WS ring in his trophy case. Although I'm sure he likes playing for a contender, I would assume that a guy at that stage in his career would be desparate for a shot, before his career is over, at an everyday gig. I'm not sure how he'd fair - I suspect he'd be a .285/15/80 kind of guy - but I've got to believe that he's dying for just a shot to be a regular, even if it means playing on a lesser club. I would think it would gnaw at you to never get that chance, particularly for a guy who has every reason to believe he can hit MLB pitching.

Huisj
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Maybe this is considered a horrible idea by many, but what about Gload in left field? Yes, he's not a good defensive outfielder and there are questions about his arm after the injuries last year, but then again, Podsednik can't field or throw either, and he isn't much of a hitter anymore either. If the Sox told him he had a shot at that next year, could he make himself into a serviceable left fielder?

INSox56
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe this is considered a horrible idea by many, but what about Gload in left field? Yes, he's not a good defensive outfielder and there are questions about his arm after the injuries last year, but then again, Podsednik can't field or throw either, and he isn't much of a hitter anymore either. If the Sox told him he had a shot at that next year, could he make himself into a serviceable left fielder?

meh, as much as I love Gload, and I really do, my first choice for left would be another base stealer leadoff hitter. Unless you could shift gload to left and find a leadoff hitter that plays short (our only other hint of a weakness with Uribe's extremely inconsistent bat and now, fielding)

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Gload is a decent bench guy, nothing more. Put him out there everyday and his weaknesses will appear. The guy has just over 2 years of MLB experience at the beginning of the year. Let him do what he's good at, being a L/H bat off the bench.

Iguana775
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM

I was thinking the same when I saw him biff that dig for the double play. I've seen Paulie make that play a million times. why not DH Ross and just keep Paulie at 1st? make sense just changing one position in the line up instead of 2.

jortafan
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I expect Ross Gload to be just like Tony Graffanino, who left the White Sox so he could play for a ballclub that would use him every day.

I like that the White Sox have Gload on the bench. But if he'd rather play for the Kansas City Royals, Tampa Bay Devil Rays or Chicago Cubs, I'm sure the White Sox could find a replacement for his niche -- backing up Paul Konerko and Jim Thome. There's probably someone who played this year in Charlotte who gladly would have sat on the bench in Chicago who could handle the role.

JB98
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
i have been thinking the past two years that ross is gonna end up one of those guys we hate seeing on another team. but hell have to wait for konerko to retire or something

I've been thinking that Ross is a solid bench player who understands his role. He's right where he belongs. He's not an everyday player for a contending team, and he never will be.

I happy with Gload's performance this season, but seriously, some of you guys have WAY too high of an opinion of him.

DickAllen72
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Trade Thome for Ichiro, move Dye to LF and Ross alternates with Paulie at 1B/DH. It gives the Sox more speed, better defense and a more balanced attack.

Too bad it will never happen...

Myrtle72
09-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Haha. I wonder who and how much Ichiro would cost us...

FielderJones
09-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Gload is not a young guy (probably pushing 30), has accomplished everything he can accomplish in the minors and has a WS ring in his trophy case. Although I'm sure he likes playing for a contender, I would assume that a guy at that stage in his career would be desparate for a shot, before his career is over, at an everyday gig. I'm not sure how he'd fair - I suspect he'd be a .285/15/80 kind of guy - but I've got to believe that he's dying for just a shot to be a regular, even if it means playing on a lesser club. I would think it would gnaw at you to never get that chance, particularly for a guy who has every reason to believe he can hit MLB pitching.

Past 30 (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/202231). How many teams are going to give anything up for an older first baseman with light power? The Cubs already gave him a shot. I'd be sort of surprised if there was a long list of suitors.

Tragg
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Trade Thome for Ichiro, move Dye to LF and Ross alternates with Paulie at 1B/DH. It gives the Sox more speed, better defense and a more balanced attack.

Too bad it will never happen... Gload has way insufficient power to play first on a regular basis - he'd be ridiculous at DH.

I thank him for his yeoman service, but he really isn't going to be that hard to replace.

Seriously, if we wanted to go that route of a Mark Grace type 1b, we shouldn't have signed Konekro.

DickAllen72
09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Gload has way insufficient power to play first on a regular basis - he'd be ridiculous at DH.

I thank him for his yeoman service, but he really isn't going to be that hard to replace.

Seriously, if we wanted to go that route of a Mark Grace type 1b, we shouldn't have signed Konekro.

If Gload started tonight instead of Thome, the Sox might have won. They would have done better anyway. Thome can't run at all and all he's doing is swinging for the fences. Let Gload start until Thome is 100%. Even then, find a spot for Gload in LF instead of Pods.

Tragg
09-01-2006, 10:18 PM
If Gload started tonight instead of Thome, the Sox might have won. They would have done better anyway. Thome can't run at all and all he's doing is swinging for the fences. Let Gload start until Thome is 100%. Even then, find a spot for Gload in LF instead of Pods.If that's what Thome is doing, that's disappointing.
I'm completely befuddled by how our manager uses hitters anyway.
Unless you have power elsewhere, putting a non-power at 1B or DH isn't going to get the job done. The Overbay types look like they fit well on paper, but teams just don't win with that sort of lineup. They Yankees won with moderate power at first; of course, they had fantastic power just about everyplace else.

JB98
09-01-2006, 10:20 PM
If that's what Thome is doing, that's disappointing.
Unless you have power elsewhere, putting a non-power at 1B or DH isn't going to get the job done. The Overbay types look like they fit well on paper, but teams just don't win with that sort of lineup. They Yankees won with moderate power at first; of course, they had fantastic power just about everyplace else.

You have to remember that every time a power hitter makes an out, WSI members accuse him of "swinging for the fences." Jim hasn't been playing much lately. I'm sure he's not sharp at the plate.

jabrch
09-01-2006, 10:24 PM
If there is a team out there during the offseason that wants to pay a price to get Gload, I'd take a good strong prospect for him. If not, I'm thrilled to see him on the bench for us. He makes great insurance for JD/PK/Thome etc.

DickAllen72
09-01-2006, 10:43 PM
You have to remember that every time a power hitter makes an out, WSI members accuse him of "swinging for the fences." Jim hasn't been playing much lately. I'm sure he's not sharp at the plate.

Did you watch the game?

Jim is hurting, he can't even run. Plus he's not sharp and he is swinging for the fences. All the more reason Gload should be in there.

STRETCH!!!
09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Whenever I've heard an interview with Gload, I've found him to be refreshing in his attitude. I don't think he spends an inordinate amount of time dwelling on whether or not he'd be better off with another club. I think he takes the opportunities as they come, and he has a "what will be will be attitude" towards his future. He's appreciative of the chance to play at the big league level, and realized that he's one of the few that has made it, and wants to make the best of the opportunities that come his way. He and Barry Bonds are on oposite ends of the spectrum in terms of character.

I'd love to see him have a Geoff Blum moment in the postseason.

soxinem1
09-02-2006, 03:36 PM

He played almost every day after Maggs was hurt in 2004 and hit, what .321 at the end? He hit better as the season went on. True he's no gazelle, but how often has he played in the last two years? The more this guy is in the line up, the better he will hit.

We've had Ozuna and Pods in LF this year. Believe me, he will not be any worse.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Gload should be in LF right now. Let Pods and Mackowiak be back ups. If Rob can be in CF, Gload will be more than adequate in LF.

My new starting OF:

LF Gload
CF Anderson (every day!)
RF Dye

Fake Chet Lemon
09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
With Paul-EE and especially Thome being another year older next year the Gloadinator will get more at bats. No doubt he knows that and if he gets another ring this year, he'll want to come back for the 3-peat.

3-peat, man that sounds nice............................

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:08 AM
If that's what Thome is doing, that's disappointing.

The A's tried this with Hatteberg replacing Giambi, as well as Durazo. Didn't work so well.

We've had similar players in the past, Saenz and M. Valdez. In the future, another after Gload in Rogowski.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:12 AM
He played almost every day after Maggs was hurt in 2004 and hit, what .321 at the end? He hit better as the season went on. True he's no gazelle, but how often has he played in the last two years? The more this guy is in the line up, the better he will hit.

We've had Ozuna and Pods in LF this year. Believe me, he will not be any worse.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Gload should be in LF right now. Let Pods and Mackowiak be back ups. If Rob can be in CF, Gload will be more than adequate in LF.

My new starting OF:

LF Gload
CF Anderson (every day!)
RF Dye

Don't you remember the Cubs' series (pre-2006) from your memory banks? Although that was RF, Gload ranks right up there with Ozuna, Pods and Mack in CF. He's simply a bad OF. I don't like saying that, but it's the truth. Think Daubach or Maggs in CF with this one.

He's a good enough baserunner, and faster than our lumbering sluggers in the middle of the line-up, but he has to be to make up for his lack of power.

No thanks.

I would much rather put our best defensive line-up out there and lose a run here or there than have two outings in a row like we've had with Jose on the mound. Brutal.

Tragg
09-03-2006, 08:39 AM
The A's tried this with Hatteberg replacing Giambi, as well as Durazo. Didn't work so well.

We've had similar players in the past, Saenz and M. Valdez. In the future, another after Gload in Rogowski.
IfGload is a valuable player, he'd have trade value. Every time I suggested trading Gload (instead of a prospect) for the least help - like the mediocre middle reliever that people clammor for in July - I'd get cat calls that Gload couldn't bring a bag of balls.
But maybe he is capable of being someone like Overbay and he just needs to show it. That's not overly valuable imo, but some teams think it is.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:01 AM
The problem is, a team like the Royals would never build around a Gload type of player. They have Shealy, Billy Butler, Huber, Teahen, Gordon...they have a ton of young talent and minor leaguers that can play 1B, either now or eventually.

The D-Rays would be a good fit with T. Lee doing his normal underachieving routine.

I just don't think many GM's of teams like that take a chance.

It's got to be a contending team where Gload comes in as part of a platoon (like Broussard in CLE) and then either wins the job outright or the other player gets injured and he takes the job over.

Domeshot17
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I love Ross Gload. You can see in his reactions he has a fantastic glove. I think the thing people forget is it is very hard to be sharp defensively if you only play 3 out of every 25 games. No matter how much you practice, you get rusty. But some of the diving plays he makes and stretches he makes paulie wouldnt come close too (and no knock to pk who has improved immensly on defense). Im with the consensus if Ross was given 500 at bats in a season he would hit 305-15-80. I think he is very much like Lyle Overbay. Those 15 home runs wont be as bad if he puts up 40 doubles, which I think he could do. He is a natural hitter, smooth sweet stroke, and he is always playing hard.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 11:21 AM
That still doesn't change the fact that if we put him on the open market, we would be lucky to get another organization's equivalent of Heath Phillips back in return.

We have no leverage with Thome/Konerko/Rogowski in the fold, and there aren't many teams "desperate" for him. If so, wouldn't the Cubs have gone after him this year?

Seems like he would fit in well on those Oakland A's teams...wish is the last place I'd trade him, by the way. Or least KW.

DickAllen72
09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
That still doesn't change the fact that if we put him on the open market, we would be lucky to get another organization's equivalent of Heath Phillips back in return.

That still doesn't change the fact that when he plays for the Sox he does well. Who cares what other teams would give for him? I want the Sox to keep him.

Jjav829
09-03-2006, 11:33 AM

There is no dilemma. Gload is a very good bench player and that's it. If he plays everyday he will be exposed. And " better than most team's 1st basemen?" Not really. Let me run down the list of players I'd rather have at 1B than Ross Gload (not including DHs who could play 1B in a pinch).

Albert Pujols
Lance Berkman
Mark Teixeira
Carlos Delgado
Ryan Howard
Paul Konerko
Nomar Garciaparra
Victor Martinez
Nick Swisher
Jason Giambi
Derrek Lee
Todd Helton
Prince Fielder
Richie Sexson
Nick Johnson
Justin Morneau
Lyle Overbay
Adam LaRoche

And the list goes on and on including guys who aren't playing 1B but could (like Adam Dunn) and a bunch of other players like Conor Jackson, Kevin Youkilis and Mike Jacobs. You get the point.

soxinem1
09-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Don't you remember the Cubs' series (pre-2006) from your memory banks? Although that was RF, Gload ranks right up there with Ozuna, Pods and Mack in CF. He's simply a bad OF. I don't like saying that, but it's the truth. Think Daubach or Maggs in CF with this one.

He's a good enough baserunner, and faster than our lumbering sluggers in the middle of the line-up, but he has to be to make up for his lack of power.

No thanks.

I would much rather put our best defensive line-up out there and lose a run here or there than have two outings in a row like we've had with Jose on the mound. Brutal.

I remember very well, and I also remember the 2B Ozuna playing LF, and the 3B/DH Mackowiak playing CF. What's your point? Sure, 1B is his best spot, but neither of those guys are out there because of their GG capabilities.

Tragg
09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
There is no dilemma. Gload is a very good bench player and that's it. If he plays everyday he will be exposed. And " better than most team's 1st basemen?" Not really. Let me run down the list of players I'd rather have at 1B than Ross Gload (not including DHs who could play 1B in a pinch).

That's demonstrative, because even the people who love Gload the most really couldn't argue that most of the names are better than Gload. I wish he were a better outfielder so he could be a more useful utility player.

WSox597
09-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Chicken Dinner
Gload is a decent bench guy, nothing more. Put him out there everyday and his weaknesses will appear.

You've also just described Ozuna, Cintron, and probably Mackowiak. There are reasons why they're not starters, playing them every day displays those reasons.

They all have flashes of brilliance, in fact Gload does show a good bat, but you have to know their limitations. All of these guys are really good bench players, I'm glad they're on the team. Starters? Nope.

34 Inch Stick
09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
There is no dilemma. Gload is a very good bench player and that's it. If he plays everyday he will be exposed. And " better than most team's 1st basemen?" Not really. .

Ross Gload cleared waivers as late as last year. I think there are 30 or so other teams that agree with your point.

Foulke You
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
There is no dilemma. Gload is a very good bench player and that's it. If he plays everyday he will be exposed.
While I agree that Gload doesn't have the pop in his bat to play 1B or DH everyday, how can you make the statement that if he plays everyday that he will somehow erode into an inferior hitter than he is now? He has never been given an everyday starting position so nobody actually knows how he'd hold up over the course of a 162 game season. Guys like Cintron and Mackowiak have been given starting spots in the past and have shown that they are better suited for bench roles. Since Gload hasn't started before, I can't categorize him in the "career bench player" category until I get a larger sample size of what he can do in a full season. I do know that he is a professional contact/line drive hitter and a career .300+ hitter and right now, I'd take him over Pods in LF in a heartbeat.:(:

D. TODD
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Gload is doing a fine job as the little used bat of the bench. He is in no way a guy I want to see in the outfield EVER, let alone on a regular basis in left. Gload did clear waivers as someone pointed out, every team in the majors view him as a role player, but not an everyday guy. He's a good left hand stick of the bench, let's not make him into more then he is. He has earned his spot on the roster this year which is better then last year when he couldn't be more then a AAA guy throughout the year. If Ross Gload as an everyday key player is the answer, it better be for someone else fighting for third place in a division .

skottyj242
09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Let's Get Gloaded!