PDA

View Full Version : D-Rays: down the road.

Railsplitter
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Speed, power, lots of young guys who could gel in a few years: am I the only one who think the Devil Rays can contend in the next few years?

The Immigrant
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
If they can get two solid starters to complement Kazmir, it's a possibility.

PorkChopExpress
09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
They'll need more pitching for sure, say a Freddy Garcia or Brandon McCarthy. I'm sure KW would swing something if Crawford was a part of the deal. But otherwsie, yes, I agree that these guys could be contenders in a few years if not sooner. Young was very impressive in his debut, and if he turns out to be the Frank Thomas-like hitter everyone is proclaiming him to be, with that speed in front of him (and a little speed of his own apparently), that could be a tough lineup to get through.

Madvora
09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I hope they can compete. I'm so sick of the Yankees and Red Sox. It seems like those five teams end up in the same place every year.

I love the way the Devil Rays look offensively. That is going to be a good team. God, I wish we had Crawford.

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
With the money being thrown around in that division, don't count on it anytime soon.

CHISOXFAN13
09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
If Delmon Young, B.J. Upton and Dioner Navarro can also pitch, then maybe.
The Devil Rays may have the worst bullpen in the history of the game.

CHIsoxNation
09-01-2006, 11:26 AM
With the money being thrown around in that division, don't count on it anytime soon.

Which is one of the reasons why the D-Rays proposed moving to the Central Division. They know they won't be able to compete with the big market teams.

nedlug
09-01-2006, 11:32 AM

I heard/read somewhere that the Yankees are operating at a deficit this year...? Also, how many huge contracts are still being thrown around?

It seems like a team that puts 70M, intelligently, into their payroll will be able to build on something. Eventually, success breeds success, and the payroll increases with that.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it would seem as if the D-Rays are beginning to get entrenched in the Tampa/St. Pete area...? How's the payroll been the last few years? If they get some pitching help, they could definitely compete against the older, overpriced AL East teams.

TheOldRoman
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, they might not need pitching. It looks like Delmon Young is going to be a career .750 hitter based on the last three days.
Holding a rookie callup to 8/11 in his first three career games - Gee, I can't understand why this team might miss the playoffs.

DSpivack
09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Well, they might not need pitching. It looks like Delmon Young is going to be a career .750 hitter based on the last three days.
Holding a rookie callup to 8/11 in his first three career games - Gee, I can't understand why this team might miss the playoffs.

Delmon Young is a little more than your typical "rookie callup."

MeteorsSox4367
09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I really like their young guys, especially Crawford and Baldelli. Add Young, Upton and Zobrist to that and you have a solid nucleus. As for their bullpen, I'm pretty much a baseball geek, but even I have no idea who the hell some of those guys are.

It would be nice to see them contend in the East, because like most everyone else, I'm sick and damn tired of hearing Yankees-Red Sox, Red Sox-Yankees.

They also have Dave Wills doing play-by-play. Can we trade Farmer and a cheeseburger from O'Malley's to Tampa for Wills?

Iwritecode
09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Delmon Young is a little more than your typical "rookie callup."

I'll wait until he faces a few more pitching staffs to make that call. He might be really good but if Seattle or Minny come in and he goes 0-fer it won't look good for the Sox pitching.

I want Mags back
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
only if they move to the NL

NardiWasHere
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Another question for the DRays-

How long can they keep that core intact before the big boys lure these guys away when some of them become free agents? The windows for small market teams are a lot shorter.

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I heard/read somewhere that the Yankees are operating at a deficit this year...? Also, how many huge contracts are still being thrown around?

It seems like a team that puts 70M, intelligently, into their payroll will be able to build on something. Eventually, success breeds success, and the payroll increases with that.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it would seem as if the D-Rays are beginning to get entrenched in the Tampa/St. Pete area...? How's the payroll been the last few years? If they get some pitching help, they could definitely compete against the older, overpriced AL East teams.

I think they've ditched most of their contracts now....like Kevin Brown. The only really bad one still on the books is Pavano.

Abreu might turn out to be one, but they're undoubtedly going to let Sheffield go, so that's no more than a NET $5 million addition.

Did I read it correctly that Proctor has blown 7 or 8 saves and doesn't have a single successful one?

jdm2662
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Another question for the DRays-

How long can they keep that core intact before the big boys lure these guys away when some of them become free agents? The windows for small market teams are a lot shorter.

Teams have rights to players for six years of service time. The first three seasons, the teams have the right to set the salary. The last three years, if the two parties can't agree on an amount, the player has the right to go abritration. After the six years, they become UFA.

jdm2662
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM

What is not counted is the huge amounts of money they get from their cable network. It's a seperate entity to overall team reveune. So, the books might show a deflict, when it's really a nice chunk of change.

Gregory Pratt
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes, the Devil Rays have an excellent chance of competing. Give them two more starters, and they can be strong enough to contend for a Wild Card and even the Division.

Money isn't everything. The Rays have a ton of pure, raw talent. Just a little more, and they'll be able to Marlinize the AL East.

I hope not, though. I hate that stupid franchise.

SABRSox
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Which is one of the reasons why the D-Rays proposed moving to the Central Division. They know they won't be able to compete with the big market teams.

They can't compete here, either. Way too much talent in the Central now.

They need to get smarter about trades and drafts. They've got a great offensive foundation. They just need to focus on getting some quality arms in the rotation and in the bullpen.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2006, 01:55 PM
With respect yes the thread starter is wrong. Tampa Bay will NEVER be able to match the money end of the equation with the Yankees and Red Sox, that means they'll never compete in the division, they won't be able to get the wild card either unless they expand the number of teams in the post season.

So at best they'll finish in 3rd place every season. With a small fan base, bad ballpark and little or no hope in the future the young players will eventually walk away as soon as they are able to.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Also regarding theYankees financial operation remember the way the rules are now written since the Yankees are in the process of building a new stadium they will not be charged as much in revenue sharing 'taxes.' MLB allows franchises to put their own money into stadium deals first before asking them to subsidize the garbage franchises.

Lip

batmanZoSo
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope they can compete. I'm so sick of the Yankees and Red Sox. It seems like those five teams end up in the same place every year.

I love the way the Devil Rays look offensively. That is going to be a good team. God, I wish we had Crawford.

I think the AL East finished NY, BOS, BAL, TOR, TB for like 5 years in a row at one point.

The D-Rays have a chance to be a hell of a team down the road. We'll see if they can actually hold on to their players, though. I personally hope they don't because we already have trouble with them as a bad team. Imagine going to that dome when they're true contenders. It would probably be like going to Oakland for this team.

FedEx227
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
With respect yes the thread starter is wrong. Tampa Bay will NEVER be able to match the money end of the equation with the Yankees and Red Sox, that means they'll never compete in the division, they won't be able to get the wild card either unless they expand the number of teams in the post season.

So at best they'll finish in 3rd place every season. With a small fan base, bad ballpark and little or no hope in the future the young players will eventually walk away as soon as they are able to.

Lip

Exactly, they are at a point of no return. The Yankees and the Red Sox will not all of a sudden stop spending money, it just won't happen they will continue to dominate the payrolls of the division and as it stands dominate the division. It's sad really because the Devil Rays do a have a great core of players that could help them contend: Crawford/Dukes, Baldelli, Young, Upton, Guzman, Navarro. But as mentioned the pitching just isn't there, and by the time they actually spend the money on pitching chances are Kazmir will have already ran to greener pastures.

EndemicSox
09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
If Kazmir can stay healthy, and I think the odds of him staying healthy are close to nil due to his size and motion, they have a shot.

FedEx227
09-01-2006, 05:33 PM
If Kazmir can stay healthy, and I think the odds of him staying healthy are close to nil due to his size and motion, they have a shot.

He can only pitch once every 5 days. They have yet to find any viable options to fill out the rest of the rotation, although there have been a few youngsters that look like they could maybe hold it down.

eriqjaffe
09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
only if they move to the NLDelmon Young would probably hit 1.149 against NL pitching.