PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody

LongDistanceFan
02-24-2002, 11:12 PM
have any info on an asian pitcher, Hayato Terahara???

OfficerKarkovice
02-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
have any info on an asian pitcher, Hayato Terahara???

Hayato Terahara is a Miyazaki, Miyazaki Prefecture native from Nichinan Gakuen (a high school) who gathered a lot of attention during the current Koshien Summer High School Baseball Tournament when he hit the aforementioned number on that scout's radar gun. He also has been clocked at 97 mph by a Hiroshima Carp scout and at 95 by a Mets scout recently. My understanding is that the Mets are all over this guy, as Isao Ojimi has been following him around fairly early on. He saw Terahara throw a no-hitter with 15 strikeouts earlier this year, and was quoted as saying of his curveball: "Even a professional hitter isn't going to hit that." Ted Heid of the Mariners has spoken glowingly of the same pitch, and Tommy Lasorda was enthusiastic after seeing the first Koshien game that Terahara pitched.

Physically, he's around 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds with huge thigh muscles and a ripped upper body. He gets most of his velocity from his leg drive and the analogy I would make is that he reminds me of a more conditioned Bartolo Colon. Recently, Terahara has been bothered by some tendinitis in his middle finger but that should clear up with some rest. His team lost its quarterfinal game to Yokohama High on Sunday, so now the only exercise his fingers will be getting will be when he signs a contract. However, having made that remark, the kid reportedly has a killer work ethic and I think he'll prove quite coachable for any MLB club that gets him. When he hit 98 on the gun, it was the fastest pitch ever recorded in Japanese history, equaled only by Hideki Irabu several years back. (I don't know what the Yankees did to him or he did to himself, but I saw Irabu on Japanese television when he was with Chiba Lotte and that velocity was legitimate).

The hype over this guy is immense right now. All 12 Japanese pro teams want to sign him and at least five MLB clubs (the Braves, Dodgers, Mariners, Mets and Padres) are heavily scouting him.

- By Jim Callis...Baseball America

CLR01
02-24-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Hayato Terahara is a Miyazaki, Miyazaki Prefecture native from Nichinan Gakuen (a high school) who gathered a lot of attention during the current Koshien Summer High School Baseball Tournament when he hit the aforementioned number on that scout's radar gun. He also has been clocked at 97 mph by a Hiroshima Carp scout and at 95 by a Mets scout recently. My understanding is that the Mets are all over this guy, as Isao Ojimi has been following him around fairly early on. He saw Terahara throw a no-hitter with 15 strikeouts earlier this year, and was quoted as saying of his curveball: "Even a professional hitter isn't going to hit that." Ted Heid of the Mariners has spoken glowingly of the same pitch, and Tommy Lasorda was enthusiastic after seeing the first Koshien game that Terahara pitched.

Physically, he's around 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds with huge thigh muscles and a ripped upper body. He gets most of his velocity from his leg drive and the analogy I would make is that he reminds me of a more conditioned Bartolo Colon. Recently, Terahara has been bothered by some tendinitis in his middle finger but that should clear up with some rest. His team lost its quarterfinal game to Yokohama High on Sunday, so now the only exercise his fingers will be getting will be when he signs a contract. However, having made that remark, the kid reportedly has a killer work ethic and I think he'll prove quite coachable for any MLB club that gets him. When he hit 98 on the gun, it was the fastest pitch ever recorded in Japanese history, equaled only by Hideki Irabu several years back. (I don't know what the Yankees did to him or he did to himself, but I saw Irabu on Japanese television when he was with Chiba Lotte and that velocity was legitimate).

The hype over this guy is immense right now. All 12 Japanese pro teams want to sign him and at least five MLB clubs (the Braves, Dodgers, Mariners, Mets and Padres) are heavily scouting him.

- By Jim Callis...Baseball America

Nice to see the sox are getting in on the action.

"Japan??? What are you talking about, the earth is flat and it ends just past Hawaii."

:reinsy

LongDistanceFan
02-25-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Nice to see the sox are getting in on the action.

"Japan??? What are you talking about, the earth is flat and it ends just past Hawaii."

:reinsy funny......... i was wondering if the sox was looking after him as well....... but i guess not..........what have you heard about his hitting? last yr, when i was following him, i could've sworn that he hits a ton............. but i may have gotten him mixed up............. damn...... another jaun cruz and the sox is not even in the running.

Vsahajpal
02-25-2002, 08:04 AM
funny......... i was wondering if the sox was looking after him as well....... but i guess not..........what have you heard about his hitting? last yr, when i was following him, i could've sworn that he hits a ton............. but i may have gotten him mixed up............. damn...... another jaun cruz and the sox is not even in the running. Here's an interesting fact-

Organizations with the fewest foreign players:

Devil Rays 66
White Sox 75
Cardinals 79
Diamondbacks 83
Rangers 86

For some reason, the Sox don't seem to venture into Latin America as much as they should. It wouldn't cost a whole lot to take a flier on some of those prospects. For every Irvin Joel Guzman (16 y/o Dodger prospect who signed for 2.5 million), there are countless Juan Cruz' (signed for $8,000). The Cubs didn't mine that area a whole lot, but after Sosa exploded, they received a huge response from Venezuela and the DR, similar to the Astros, after they set up a baseball academy in Venezuela. Unfortunately, a two-time all-star like Magglio doesn't get the acclimation he deserves. When he does, there could be a potential windfall. Over the past two years, the Cubs have been landing some ridiculous talent. Guys like Felix Sanchez, a 19 y/o Dominican southpaw who hit 98 this summer with Boise (2-0, 1.56 ERA), and 17 y/o 6'5 LHP Jose Rodriguez who's hitting 91 already. They signed two 18 y/o Dominican pitchers (Carlos Dominguez & Carlos Tavarez) who obliterated the Domincan and Venezuelan summer leagues this past year and will debut in the states this year.

Dominguez was 7-3, 2.70 ERA, and allowed just 53 hits in 76 2/3 innings. He struck out 80 and walked 19.

As good as he was, Tavarez was 7-1, 2.35 ERA, gave up 78 hits in 80 1/3 innings. He struck out 80 and walked 5. Pretty remarkable.

These guys can be had on the cheap, which after reading most of you guys, is just the way Reinsdorf likes it.

There is good news, though. The Sox have a couple of young lively-armed Latins who should begin at the AZRL this summer. (heh, lively-armed Latins...)

The first is Jose Baez, son of folk singer Joan Baez and Julio Iglesias (not really).

Baez was 8-4, 1.98 ERA, allowed 111 hits in 123 innings, while striking out 100 and walking just 19, OPP BA .226.

Another prospect probably has my new "favorite name in baseball"

Reynaldo Algenis Saint-Hilaire was 6-2, 2.09 ERA, allowed just 59 hits in 82 IP, while striking out 75 and walking 26, OPP BA .194.

and finally, Ruddy Morales was 5-1, 2.79 ERA, 56 hits in 58 IP, 63 K and 23 BB, OPP BA .249.

Morales and RASH (can we add this to the WSI dictionary!?!) ooze projection. They'll probably both start at Mesa this year, though Morales--who had a brief stint with the Mesa Sox (3-2, 2.48 in 6 games)--just turned 20 a month ago, 6'5 185, lively RHP. Reynaldo Algenis Saint-Hilaire just turned 21 (perfect timing,eh?), 6'6 190 lb.

The Sox have a few hitters down there too, namely Kelvin Guzman, who is on the Juan Cruz miracle diet, 5'11 150 lb, he's got leadoff potential, plays centerfield, bats/throws left. Guzman batted a robust .337/.448/.399 (BA/SLG/OPS), and stole 13 bases in 16 attempts, he drew 29 walks and struck out just 9 times in 270 AB's. Guzman also turned 20 in January.

OF Jhonny Rivera will turn 19 shortly after opening day. 6'0, 174 lb Rivera hit .294/.399/.359 with 4 HR and 30 RBI, and showed plus speed 18 SB.

...personally, I'd rather have a Reynaldo Algenis than a Hayato, and I know I'm not the only one...woo!

:gulp:

kermittheefrog
02-25-2002, 08:14 AM
funny......... i was wondering if the sox was looking after him as well....... but i guess not..........what have you heard about his hitting? last yr, when i was following him, i could've sworn that he hits a ton............. but i may have gotten him mixed up............. damn...... another jaun cruz and the sox is not even in the running.

Okay he throws in the mid 90s in high school. Only one in 30 of those guys turn out to be real major leaguers anyway. We get enough HS hard throwers with great curves in the US and this one we'd have to big on. Let the other teams go after him. I'd rather see the Sox put another 5 mill in the next Joe Borchard coming out of college than throw money at a high school pitcher who could blow out his arm at any moment.

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 08:42 AM
:reinsy

We don't have enough money to cover the exchange rate.

moochpuppy
02-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Guys like Felix Sanchez, a 19 y/o Dominican southpaw who hit 98 this summer with Boise (2-0, 1.56 ERA), and 17 y/o 6'5 LHP Jose Rodriguez who's hitting 91 already. They signed two 18 y/o Dominican pitchers (Carlos Dominguez & Carlos Tavarez) who obliterated the Domincan and Venezuelan summer leagues this past year and will debut in the states this year.

Dominguez was 7-3, 2.70 ERA, and allowed just 53 hits in 76 2/3 innings. He struck out 80 and walked 19.

As good as he was, Tavarez was 7-1, 2.35 ERA, gave up 78 hits in 80 1/3 innings. He struck out 80 and walked 5. Pretty remarkable.

These guys can be had on the cheap, which after reading most of you guys, is just the way Reinsdorf likes it.

There is good news, though. The Sox have a couple of young lively-armed Latins who should begin at the AZRL this summer. (heh, lively-armed Latins...)

The first is Jose Baez, son of folk singer Joan Baez and Julio Iglesias (not really).

Baez was 8-4, 1.98 ERA, allowed 111 hits in 123 innings, while striking out 100 and walking just 19, OPP BA .226.

Another prospect probably has my new "favorite name in baseball"

Reynaldo Algenis Saint-Hilaire was 6-2, 2.09 ERA, allowed just 59 hits in 82 IP, while striking out 75 and walking 26, OPP BA .194.

and finally, Ruddy Morales was 5-1, 2.79 ERA, 56 hits in 58 IP, 63 K and 23 BB, OPP BA .249.

Morales and RASH (can we add this to the WSI dictionary!?!) ooze projection. They'll probably both start at Mesa this year, though Morales--who had a brief stint with the Mesa Sox (3-2, 2.48 in 6 games)--just turned 20 a month ago, 6'5 185, lively RHP. Reynaldo Algenis Saint-Hilaire just turned 21 (perfect timing,eh?), 6'6 190 lb.

The Sox have a few hitters down there too, namely Kelvin Guzman, who is on the Juan Cruz miracle diet, 5'11 150 lb, he's got leadoff potential, plays centerfield, bats/throws left. Guzman batted a robust .337/.448/.399 (BA/SLG/OPS), and stole 13 bases in 16 attempts, he drew 29 walks and struck out just 9 times in 270 AB's. Guzman also turned 20 in January.

OF Jhonny Rivera will turn 19 shortly after opening day. 6'0, 174 lb Rivera hit .294/.399/.359 with 4 HR and 30 RBI, and showed plus speed 18 SB.

...personally, I'd rather have a Reynaldo Algenis than a Hayato, and I know I'm not the only one...woo!

:gulp:

** Any age given here please add at least two years for a more accurate record. Thank you.

LongDistanceFan
02-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Okay he throws in the mid 90s in high school. Only one in 30 of those guys turn out to be real major leaguers anyway. We get enough HS hard throwers with great curves in the US and this one we'd have to big on. Let the other teams go after him. I'd rather see the Sox put another 5 mill in the next Joe Borchard coming out of college than throw money at a high school pitcher who could blow out his arm at any moment. if he is a fa and doesn't cost a whole hell of a lot.......... why not invest a 1 mil in a signing bonus for a potential of a juan cruz?

Huisj
02-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Did it really say that that skinny latin dude who plays outfield hit .337/.448/.399 (BA/SLG/OPS) last year? That's amazing, he must have had a negative on base percentage to have such a low OPS.

voodoochile
02-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Did it really say that that skinny latin dude who plays outfield hit .337/.448/.399 (BA/SLG/OPS) last year? That's amazing, he must have had a negative on base percentage to have such a low OPS.

That would be impossible... It must be a misprint. I am betting the final number is OBP.

Vsahajpal
02-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That would be impossible... It must be a misprint. I am betting the final number is OBP.

you win :gulp:

rmusacch
02-26-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Okay he throws in the mid 90s in high school. Only one in 30 of those guys turn out to be real major leaguers anyway. We get enough HS hard throwers with great curves in the US and this one we'd have to big on. Let the other teams go after him. I'd rather see the Sox put another 5 mill in the next Joe Borchard coming out of college than throw money at a high school pitcher who could blow out his arm at any moment.

Uh, I do not think that there are that many high schoolers that throw in the mid 90's. I helped run a tryout camp with one of my dad's best friends, who was a scout for the Pirates, now works for the Padres and I was running the radar gun and no one hit faster than 88 on the gun.