PDA

View Full Version : Sox HR record

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Currently, Albert Belle owns the team record with 49 dongs in 1998. I think forty-eight of them came after we were buried in the division and the pressure was off.

Dye stands at 39 with a full month to go. Definitely doable. As clutch as he is and as big as these September games figure to be, I can see him hitting 10+. I'd just like Albert Belle to not have the team record anymore. Let's go for 50 JD.

:Rocker:

JB98
08-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Currently, Albert Belle owns the team record with 49 dongs in 1998. I think forty-eight of them came after we were buried in the division and the pressure was off.

Dye stands at 39 with a full month to go. Definitely doable. As clutch as he is and as big as these September games figure to be, I can see him hitting 10+. I'd just like Albert Belle to not have the team record anymore. Let's go for 50 JD.

:Rocker:

Didn't Belle have maybe 14 dingers at the All-Star break in 1998? I remember us being 35-51 at the break. Then, Belle got hot, and we finished 80-82. Unfortunately, the horse was well out of the barn.

I doubt JD will get that record, but I'd like to see it. In contrast to Belle, Dye is a good person as well as a great player. He deserves whatever accolades/records he gets.

0o0o0
08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Doable indeed. I think Thome would have had a great shot at it had he not missed as many games as he did/will.

But yeah about the pressure thing, Dye doing it would be sooooo much more impressive than Belle.

Damn you, Joey Belle.

Chips
08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
I don't see why Dye can't do it; he's been on a tear.

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't see why Dye can't do it; he's been on a tear.

Minnesota will turn on the air conditioners whenever he's at bat the last weekend of the season.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't care if Dye doesn't club another home run this season as long as somehow, someway he drives in drives.

That's a philosophy everyone on this team should take to heart a little more.

Lip

Chips
08-31-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't care if Dye doesn't club another home run this season as long as somehow, someway he drives in drives.

Lip

Well said :thumbsup:

jenn2080
09-01-2006, 09:03 AM

Lip

could not agree with you more.

Dan H
09-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I'd trade in some home runs for some quality starts from the pitching staff. Sox have been hitting a ton of homers for the past five or six years. 2005 was their only championship.

SOXSINCE'70
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I'd trade in some home runs for some quality starts from the pitching staff.

I agree,Dan.Certain players look like they might be
using the Jose Valentin "swing from their ass" theory
when a base hit or a Sac Fly would be just as good
to keep a rally going with less than 2 outs.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Some of you may have noticed in the newspapers today Ozzie's comment about "Ozzie ball hasn't shown up this year..."

I don't know if he said it jokingly or what. I would hope not. It's no laughing matter. It's why the Sox are where they are in the standings.

Lip

JohnBasedowYoda
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Wouldn't this be the 1st team for more than one player hitting 40+ too?

Iwritecode
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Well said :thumbsup:

Well except for that one typo... :cool:

Personally I thought this thread was going to be about how the Sox are the first team in MLB history to have 200 or more homeruns in 7 straight seasons.

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Belle's in jail. I'd rather someone have the ERA record.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Some of you may have noticed in the newspapers today Ozzie's comment about "Ozzie ball hasn't shown up this year..."

It looks like most batters are pressing at the wrong times, and fundamentals have been down greatly. It's sad when your best bunter is on the bench (Gload is that guy, IMHO). They aren't putting the hit & run to good use, aren't putting as much pressure on the opposing pitchers through base theft attempts nearly as much, and Pods isn't getting on base nearly as much as last year (which hurts this team BIG time, as he was the straw that stirred the drink last year). "Bash Ball" is back, and that sure didn't win them anything in 2000, nor did it get them anywhere from 2001-2004. They went to fundamental baseball ("Ozzieball") last year, and lo and behold, a Championship was won! I don't have the stats with me; but, the percentage of runs scored off home runs has been MUCH higher this year, and that's a problem. If this team would stop relying on the home run so often, they can pull this off.

FedEx227
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Is it me or does Ozzie seem to mention the fact that its been gone just about every other week or so... yet I see no difference in the team or change.

I agree with everyone above, Dye can hit homers as long as he keeps driving in runs, but infield popups with 2 men in scoring position and 1 out just won't work and I think we've all seen that WAY too much this season.

slobes
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Well except for that one typo... :cool:

Personally I thought this thread was going to be about how the Sox are the first team in MLB history to have 200 or more homeruns in 7 straight seasons.

That's what I thought too. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Actually, on second thought, hitting HRs are never a bad thing. It'll only be bad if we get into the mindset that we need to hit them.