PDA

View Full Version : Nevin to Twins

siugrad25
08-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Hot off the AP wires: The Chicago Cubs traded infielder Phil Nevin and cash to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named. A story is upcoming.

Don't know how much it helps Minnesota, but I hate the Cubs for dealing players to AL Central teams.

ilsox7
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Hot off the AP wires: The Chicago Cubs traded infielder Phil Nevin and cash to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named. A story is upcoming.

Don't know how much it helps Minnesota, but I hate the Cubs for dealing players to AL Central teams.

Why? They are trading absolute **** to our rivals. I mean, having Mr. Perez in this division and starting almost every day is good for us. And Nevin sucks, so it's another near automatic out in a rivals line-up.

JB98
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM

The Cubs are helping us out by doing that. The Tigers are a worse team because they have Neifi Perez. The Twins just got worse by adding cancerous Phil Nevin to their clubhouse.

infohawk
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't see how this really helps them. Sure, he provides another power threat in an otherwise weak line-up, but the Twins really need experienced starting pitching. From a player standpoint, David Wells might have been a better addition. I don't know what the nature of Well's contract is, though. I assume Nevin will DH and play a little first base? This strikes me as a slight sign of desperation born of a realization that their offense is unlikely to put up enough runs to compensate for the injured/inexperienced starting pitching. When healthy, the Twins aren't built around needing to score a lot of runs.

JB98
08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't see how this really helps them. Sure, he provides another power threat in an otherwise weak line-up, but the Twins really need experienced starting pitching. From a player standpoint, David Wells might have been a better addition. I don't know what the nature of Well's contract is, though. I assume Nevin will DH and play a little first base?

He will DH. The Twins are unhappy with Rondell White. I can't see Phil Nevin taking away any at-bats from Justin Morneau, not even against left-handed pitching.

Soxfanspcu11
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Wait wait wait, does this mean that the cubs are giving up on the season?

I thought that this year was their turn?:?:

If someone calls for the police on this, I'm gunna **** myself, the sarcasim should be more than evident.:cool:

caulfield12
08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Hopefully it works about as well as the B. Boone acquisition, lol.

In all seriousness, I think there are concerns with Castillo after rolling his ankle. They have to move Punto over to 2B and probably play Nevin at 3B.

White and Kubel have been disappointing, but I don't think they want to DH Nevin.

I think they need him to play 3B so they can move Punto to 2B to cover for Castillo.

JB98
08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Hopefully it works about as well as the B. Boone acquisition, lol.

In all seriousness, I think there are concerns with Castillo after rolling his ankle. They have to move Punto over to 2B and probably play Nevin at 3B.

White and Kubel have been disappointing, but I don't think they want to DH Nevin.

I think they need him to play 3B so they can move Punto to 2B to cover for Castillo.

No. I have the AP story in front of me, and the Twins are saying the disappointing performance of White and Kubel is the reason for the acquisition.

Putting Nevin at 3B at this stage of his career is suicide. I hope they try that, but I'd be surprised if they do.

soxinem1
08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
It's Mitterwald for Hundley all over again!!!!!

Seriously, I can see how the trade went:

Jim Hendry calls Terry Ryan on the phone........

Jim Hendry: Terry, Nevin will help because another of our former players couldn't.

Terry Ryan: Not interested, Jim.

JH: Okay, you can give us the lowest guy in your farm system.

TR: Uh -uh.

JH: Hmmm...... Okay, we'll pay a part of his salary and you can name the player later.

TR: Hmmmmmmmm........ Tell you what. Pick up all his salary for the rest of the year, we name the player some other time, and you have a deal.

JH: You drive a hard bargain.

Phones hang up...

JH and TR (to themselves): Boy, he didn't see that one coming, SUCKER!!!!

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Rondell White is the Neifi of Minnesota.

Getting anything better than Rondell White - in this case, Nevin - makes this a fine trade, especially considering Ryan obviously didn't give up **** for him.

FedEx227
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM

Getting anything better than Rondell White - in this case, Nevin - makes this a fine trade, especially considering Ryan obviously didn't give up **** for him.
Actually its more or less Nevin is to the Twins as Perez is to the Tigers. An awful player who for some reason gets playing time and gets adding to a contending team and put in their everyday starting lineup when they have much better options in-house.

No complaints here... GREAT TRADE!

chaerulez
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Nevin is a tool with a bad attitude, the Twins are known as one of those "chemistry" teams, hopefully he messes with that. He's not a typically gamer like most of the Twins are either.

And Neifi Perez as a career OBP of .290 or something terrible like that. We should be glad the Cubs gave him to the Tigers.

Brian26
08-31-2006, 11:49 PM

Although Perez and Nevin are garbage players, its still bush league that Hendry's giving these guys away for bags of balls. Hendry can't pull the trigger on the sinking ship that is Dusty's tenure, yet he has no problem trading these guys to AL Central teams at the first chance he gets?

FedEx227
08-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Although Perez and Nevin are garbage players, its still bush league that Hendry's giving these guys away for bags of balls. Hendry can't pull the trigger on the sinking ship that is Dusty's tenure, yet he has no problem trading these guys to AL Central teams at the first chance he gets?

Because Dusty needs his guys, dude.

Brian26
08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Because Dusty needs his guys, dude.

I think you missed my point. If Hendry's giving away players because all is lost at this point (which it is), why not just get rid of Baker too? He's talking out of both sides of his mouth. If he truly needs to see another month of Baker to make an evaluation and help determine if he wants to keep him around, wouldn't you want Dusty to have the best tools to work with? I don't know who replaces Nevin at this point because I haven't watch a Cubs game all season and don't even know what their lineup is. However, I can't imagine anyone coming off the bench or from the minors could put up comparable numbers.

JB98
09-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I think you missed my point. If Hendry's giving away players because all is lost at this point (which it is), why not just get rid of Baker too? He's talking out of both sides of his mouth. If he truly needs to see another month of Baker to make an evaluation and help determine if he wants to keep him around, wouldn't you want Dusty to have the best tools to work with? I don't know who replaces Nevin at this point because I haven't watch a Cubs game all season and don't even know what their lineup is. However, I can't imagine anyone coming off the bench or from the minors could put up comparable numbers.

I think the decision is already made with regard to Baker. They're just letting him finish his contract so he can make a "graceful" exit. Instead of indicating, "Dusty, you're fired," they'll indicate, "Dusty and the Cubs have mutually chosen to part ways. His contract will not be renewed."

FedEx227
09-01-2006, 12:13 AM
The main reason the Cubs can't get rid of Dusty right now is simply it would make them look even more idiotic then they already are.

Think about this: all they've done the past three years is blame injuries. Wood, Prior, D-Lee, Wade Miller, etc. If you get rid of Dusty then the organization looks like idiots for blaming every single negative of this team on curses and injuries. The Cubs are a ridiculous organization, it's tough to take their perspective but thats just what it is. They don't have enough nerve to say that somebody they supported is awful... no instead INJURIES and curses brought them down. There's never a sense of personal blame with this team, its always super-natural forces purposely screwing everything up. So as JB said, it will be easier for them now to not blame anybody and just let Baker go on his way without flat out saying "You're an awful manager, you're fired." Instead it will be "The Goat and countless injuries to top players doomed Dusty Baker as he was never able to get on track with the Cubs."

The fact is, it is easier to trade guys away, say you're looking at your young guys then to fire a manager who you've done nothing but make excuses for.

34rancher
09-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Ok, I'll cry foul on this...Hear me out and then PLEASE EXPLAIN...

First, how does this Player to be Named Later thing seem fair? I always thought that to trade past the deadline, someone had to have passed through waivers. Well, if they trade a guy after the season who did not pass through waivers in August, how is that legit? I am only pissed that the Twins get to keep someone who couls have been claimed for the rest of the season, not about Nevin.

Second, we all know through some BS fleecing of the twins, the cubs are probably going to get Morneu or somehow hypnotize the twins into giving them Mauer and Santana to complete the deal...

ilsox7
09-01-2006, 01:02 AM

First, how does this Player to be Named Later thing seem fair? I always thought that to trade past the deadline, someone had to have passed through waivers. Well, if they trade a guy after the season who did not pass through waivers in August, how is that legit? I am only pissed that the Twins get to keep someone who couls have been claimed for the rest of the season, not about Nevin.

Second, we all know through some BS fleecing of the twins, the cubs are probably going to get Morneu or somehow hypnotize the twins into giving them Mauer and Santana to complete the deal...
It'll be a minor leaguer who did not have to pass through waivers. The teams probably have agreed upon a list of players from which the Cubs will chose one.

EDIT: I really wish the Cubs could have gotten something off the MLB roster from the Twins. If it makes the Twins weaker and the Cubs stronger, I am all for that. But it's basically your typical waiver throw-away deal.

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 08:10 AM
No. I have the AP story in front of me, and the Twins are saying the disappointing performance of White and Kubel is the reason for the acquisition.

Putting Nevin at 3B at this stage of his career is suicide. I hope they try that, but I'd be surprised if they do.

The problem is Mauer and Morneau should alternate at DH to get Mauer a rest as he's really struggling...they play Redmond at catcher, Mauer at first and DH Morneau those games.

Redmond's a pretty good hitter.

Now all they're going to do is have a bunch of veterans like R. White and Ford sitting on the bench while an "outsider" comes in the last month to take some playing time away. And I think this puts the "dream" of Shannon Stewart coming back to rest.

Or they will cut Tyner's playing time.

Kubel has been a disappointment, too many moving parts in his swing, not recovered from his knee problems...he was their best prospect a year ago, the crown jewel of the organization. It will be interesting to see how he responds next year.

If we can't beat this team without Liriano AND Radke, then we probably don't deserve to make the playoffs.

The Dude
09-01-2006, 09:40 AM

Exactly. This is a very decent trade for the Twins and if it doesn't work out....they lose a marginal prospect.

NoShoesJoe
09-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I love when the Cubs spew their spunk and spittle to our enemies.

Remember the enemy of your enemies is your friend!

and of course:

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer!"

Flight #24
09-01-2006, 10:09 AM

IIRC, the PTBNL requirement means the player cannot be someone who sees the major league roster. So while it can get around the waiver requirement, it also limits the ability to cal the player up in Sep.

MarySwiss
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm just trying to figure out why the Cubs are being so nice to us. Neifi and Nevin were crappy in the National League; does anyone really think they'd be better in the real majors?

chaerulez
09-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm just trying to figure out why the Cubs are being so nice to us. Neifi and Nevin were crappy in the National League; does anyone really think they'd be better in the real majors?

Exactly, why is everyone getting so worked up? Nevin and Perez were bad with the Cubs. Unless they go on some kind of unlikely hot streak, they will continue to be bad in the better league.

mark2olson
09-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Wait wait wait, does this mean that the cubs are giving up on the season?

I thought that this year was their turn?:?:

If someone calls for the police on this, I'm gunna **** myself, the sarcasim should be more than evident.:cool:

According to Santo, every year was/is their turn.

WSox597
09-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I love it when the stench of Cub loser goes to our opposition. Thank, Cubs. Now send Dumpster to the Yankees.

mark2olson
09-01-2006, 11:02 AM
JH and TR (to themselves): Boy, he didn't see that one coming, SUCKER!!!!

Absolutely hilarious!

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Nevin is nothing more than a September call-up with major league experience and will be used in that role. It definately won't hurt the Twinks.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Actually Nevin could be of use to them... remember this guy has 21 home runs and around 65 RBI's this season playing with two clubs.

With a race as tight as this it only takes one guy getting a big hit in a single game that could be the difference between going to October or going to the golf course.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Actually Nevin could be of use to them... remember this guy has 21 home runs and around 65 RBI's this season playing with two clubs.

With a race as tight as this it only takes one guy getting a big hit in a single game that could be the difference between going to October or going to the golf course.

Lip

Yeah, good luck with that, Twinkies.

Flight #24
09-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Lip

The question is - is he going to provide any value over and above the guy they'd be playing without this trade?

I'd guess no.

infohawk
09-01-2006, 02:22 PM
The Twins predicate their attack on contact and speed. Nevin has the potential to hit some homers, but he also has the potential to be a base-clogger who thwarts their scratch-and-tickle offense. The Twins need to get good pitching from their rookies to stay in this, plain and simple.

mjmcend
09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
The Twins DH spot this year has only hit .269 with 6 HRs. And most of that production has been from Mauer when he hits there. Nevin can't be worse than the crap they have had. It is not a bad trade for the Twins.

Iwritecode
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
The Twins DH spot this year has only hit .269 with 6 HRs. And most of that production has been from Mauer when he hits there. Nevin can't be worse than the crap they have had. It is not a bad trade for the Twins.

Actually, yes it can. While on an AL team is career average is .232 with 30 homeruns in about 4 seasons. That's about 7.5 homeruns a year.

While on an NL team, his numbers increase dramatically.

ma-gaga
09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Actually, yes it can. While on an AL team is career average is .232 with 30 homeruns in about 4 seasons. That's about 7.5 homeruns a year.

While on an NL team, his numbers increase dramatically.

Career averages don't really tell much. Give me his most recent AVG/OBP/SLG, and number of at bats.

The Twins made a huge mistake with Tony Batista, assuming that his power alone would make up for his crappy OBP. I think they learned from that mistake.

If Nevin's a 0.250/0.350/0.500 type hitter, he'll be a significant upgrade from Kubel, who is still hurt and gimpy. My guess is that he's a bench bat. I don't think I've seen them use a pinch hitter in about a month. Well, maybe a couple of times since Lew Ford came off the DL. But their bench has been non-existant.

Bench bat. There's no where else for him to play. :cool:

ma-gaga
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
If Nevin's a 0.250/0.350/0.500 type hitter,

meh. I looked at the stats.

If the Twins get his 2006 Cub's numbers, it was a brilliant pickup. If they get his 2005/2006 Ranger's numbers, he's a terrible pickup.

Iwritecode
09-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Career averages don't really tell much. Give me his most recent AVG/OBP/SLG, and number of at bats.

The Twins made a huge mistake with Tony Batista, assuming that his power alone would make up for his crappy OBP. I think they learned from that mistake.

If Nevin's a 0.250/0.350/0.500 type hitter, he'll be a significant upgrade from Kubel, who is still hurt and gimpy. My guess is that he's a bench bat. I don't think I've seen them use a pinch hitter in about a month. Well, maybe a couple of times since Lew Ford came off the DL. But their bench has been non-existant.

Bench bat. There's no where else for him to play. :cool:

You really want to know?

In 2005 he had 99 AB's in Tex. .182/.250/.323 with 3 homeruns.
In 2006 he had 176 AB's in Tex. .216/.307/.415 with 9 homeruns.

Historically, his numbers have really sucked in the AL. They've always jumped going to the NL.

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Phil Nevin=Matthew LeCroy

ScottyTheSoxFan
09-01-2006, 05:05 PM

Nevin probably would not have seen the field very much with Derrek Lee back in the lineup. Might as well get something for him.

Brian26
09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Tribune reports this morning that Nevin allegedly initiated the trade by calling Gardenhire himself and telling him he wanted to play for the Twins.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Caulfield:

I remember a half dozen times when LeCroy ripped the Sox apart.

:rolleyes:

Lip

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Denny Hocking was the guy who infuriated me the most.

Lew Ford in 2004.

slavko
09-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Nevin. Big bruizin' deal. Just another bozo. Don't stay up nights worrying about it.