PDA

View Full Version : Dave Roberts to the Sox???

Whitesox4ever
08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Roberts pays off

The White Sox and Cardinals have made it known they are interested in acquiring Padres leadoff man Dave Roberts should he reach free agency in November.

Sargeant79
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Roberts pays off

The White Sox and Cardinals have made it known they are interested in acquiring Padres leadoff man Dave Roberts should he reach free agency in November.

Source? Link?

soxruleEP
08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Roberts pays off

No, they haven't (at least not publicly) since that would be a finable interference transgression. No official from any team is allowed to express interest in another team's free agent until the end of the negotiating period.

Whitesox4ever
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
San Diego Union-Tribune

buehrle4cy05
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Damn, I got my hopes up that this would be a waiver wire deal. Then I remembered that the Padres were in the Wild Card hunt.

He's only getting older and probably wouldn't be much better than Podsednik...there have to be better options.

DumpJerry
08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm still starry eyed at the thought of Carl Crawford being our Left Fielder next year while Pods toils away in the National League.

I say Garcia+prospect to Tampa will do it.

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm still starry eyed at the thought of Carl Crawford being our Left Fielder next year while Pods toils away in the National League.

If that prospect is Josh Fields...and Garcia is really Garcia + McCarthy. Why else would TB trade Crawford when his speed and power possibly makes him a bit more overvalued than he should be? Tampa could make an absolute killing if they trade him, on the order of a #2/#3 starter on a good team + at least two top prospects.

JohnTucker0814
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
At this point I'd trade Garcia, Fields and any other top prospect for Crawford!

Brian26
08-31-2006, 10:51 PM

Have you been drinking tonight?

thomas35forever
08-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry. As much as I like Joe Crede, I'm not ready to give up on Fields.

BigPapaPump
09-01-2006, 07:20 AM

Hasn't KW stated several times he will only trade pitching for pitching.

soxfan13
09-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Roberts pays off

Isnt he a year younger then Julio Franco? I would pass on this one.

Save McCuddy's
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
At this point I'd trade Garcia, Fields and any other top prospect for Crawford!

Why not just put Fields in left? He's a great athlete and has 20 swipes this year. We're going to have to commit a ton of $ to keep Dye after next year -- and rightfully so. It'd be a good idea to be inexpensive in left and center when that time comes.

If we acquire a pricey player, let it be Tejada.

Sargeant79
09-01-2006, 10:05 AM

As I said in another thread, that would make no sense from Tampa's perspective. Garcia is a year away from free agency and makes way too much money for them. If they were trading Crawford, they would want a younger, more inexpensive pitcher with bigger upside (like McCarthy) plus 1-2 top prospects. As much as I drool at the thought of it, I don't see Crawford here next year.

MadetoOrta
09-01-2006, 10:16 AM
For the record, Crawford's contract is extremely inexpensive. I believe $5 million per with 3 years left on it. That's what makes it highly unlikely that Tampa trades him. I don't want Tejada. Please. I agree Fields should be given a shot at left. Pods is a butcher.

I doubt you'll see Sweeney, Fields, Broadway or McCarthy traded. They're too valuable [cheap] which opens up the payroll for other acquisitions.

Flight #24
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
FWIW, I'm not sure that Garcia has all that much value on the market, unless it's to an NL team that sees itself as a pitcher away. To a team like that, he'll had solid value because it's a 1-year deal.

That could be the Mets, Phillies, Padres, D-Backs, etc.

IMO a near-perfect offseason would include a trade of Pods+Uribe+lower prospect to SF for Vizquel, and a trade of Garcia for a pitching prospect (probably a mid-tier one). The lineup becomes Vizquel-Iguchi-Dye-Thome-Konerko-Crede-AJ-Anderson-Fields, McCarthy slots into the rotation and you bring up Broadway/Tracey to the 'pen, replacing them with the prospect for Garcia.

DumpJerry
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Hasn't KW stated several times he will only trade pitching for pitching.
It's no secret that McCarthy will be in the rotation next year. Therefore, that makes a starter expendable.

FielderJones
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
San Diego Union-Tribune

The Sports (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/) search function turned up nothing.

09-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I would have taken him off waivers for the rest of this year, but next year doesn't excite me at all

soxinem1
09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
A lefty slap hitting, low OBP guy for another lefty slap hitting low OBP guy? Why even bother?

Like Geoff Blum, just because a guy has one moment in the sun does not mean you build around him. 2004, like 2005, is history.

Face it, if the Sox make a deal for a legit lead-off guy, he will cost a lot. These silly, cub-fan trades of sending 2-3 struggling or average players for a star are pipe dreams. KW is creative with trades, but he'll have his work cut out for him.

I wouldn't be so quick to kick Pods out of town, unless the upgrade is very much an upgrade, not just making a trade to make a trade. There may be no one better, for a reasonable price.

MadetoOrta
09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Did I read correctly that Dave Roberts has stolen 40 bases out of 44 tries? I don't care if he's 50 years old and can produce like that. I seem to recall much teeth gnashing last year over Vizquel's age. "He's too old" He's hitting .320? Fielding % extremely high? Wouldn't he be a nice #2 hitter with Iguchi moving down in the line-up. I don't care how old the guy is.

soxfan13
09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Did I read correctly that Dave Roberts has stolen 40 bases out of 44 tries? I don't care if he's 50 years old and can produce like that. I seem to recall much teeth gnashing last year over Vizquel's age. "He's too old" He's hitting .320? Fielding % extremely high? Wouldn't he be a nice #2 hitter with Iguchi moving down in the line-up. I don't care how old the guy is.

Wow, hes actually younger then I thought 34 but he is one of those players, like Jeff Conine, that seems like they have played for 25 years

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
The problem with dealing Uribe is we are replacing a young player with one who might be done after next year and definitely diminished in 2008.

Not only that, but we have nobody in our system to play SS, as Valido has regressed badly and Pedro Lopez was never destined to be an everyday player.

Gregory Pratt
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Personally, I think we have to replace Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez. If I had my way, we'd do it by getting rid of them, plugging Mac in one spot and either Barry Zito or Jake Peavy in the other. If that means, in the latter's case, that we get rid of Scott Podsednik, too, for Roberts, go for it. Peavy's had a rough year, but I expect he'll recover once he gets rest for his shoulder.

samram
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM

#2? Who would hit first? The only reason he's being mentioned is because Pods is basically out the door.

DaleJRFan
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
#2? Who would hit first? The only reason he's being mentioned is because Pods is basically out the door.

Carl Crawford. :D:

samram
09-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Carl Crawford. :D:

Now you're talking.:thumbsup:

MadetoOrta
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Jimmy Rollins? [Uribe and Garcia for Rollins?]

Lip Man 1
09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
For what it's worth I got an e-mail from one of the beat writers who said they heard this yesterday. (I'm assuming at the park.)

They felt it was a clear case of tampering but that stuff like that goes on all the time.

Lip

samram
09-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Jimmy Rollins? [Uribe and Garcia for Rollins?]
That won't happen- the Phils and their fans are sick of guys who are perceived as not giving 100% all the time and both Juan and Freddy fit that description. There's a reason Abreu was traded and why they've shopped Burrell.

caulfield12
09-01-2006, 02:23 PM
There's no way we're going to get Crawford giving up ONLY Uribe/Garcia and-or Pods.

Adding a Garcia OR Vazquez makes no sense unless you're a contending team in need of a 4th or 5th starter.

That's definitely not a team like the D-Rays or Royals. There's a select group of 5-6 teams that 1) need these guys AND 2) can afford to take on their contracts.

We're going to have to trade one of our three best prospects (Sweeney, Fields or Broadway), Crede or McCarthy to get what we want back in return.

Otherwise, we're going to use someone like Dave Roberts who was a bench player for much of the last five years and who certainly cannot be relied upon to repeat this year's performance in the AL.

I'm sure there will be literally one thousand threads before next season starts about all the great leadoff men and prospects we can get in return for Pods, Uribe, Vazquez and Garcia.

ondafarm
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
For what it's worth I got an e-mail from one of the beat writers who said they heard this yesterday. (I'm assuming at the park.)

They felt it was a clear case of tampering but that stuff like that goes on all the time.

Lip

I think there is tampering and then there's tampering.

It is perfectly legit for the Sox to inquire of the Padres about their plans next year (sign Roberts or not.)

It's also perfectly legit for the Sox to inquire of Roberts agent if a) he'd consider playing in the midwest, b) wants to be on a contender or not and c) what type of money/ deal he'd be asking for.

Assuming those inquiries were made, I can also see both sources leaking those inquiries to the press.

Whitesox4ever
09-01-2006, 09:12 PM
The Sports (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/) search function turned up nothing.

this is from today daily herald

Rumor mill: According to a report in The San Diego Union-Tribune, the White Sox are expected to pursue Padres left fielder Dave Roberts this winter if the 34-year-old leadoff man hits the free-agent market.
The move would make sense for the Sox, with Scott Podsednik nearing the end of a subpar season.
Roberts ranks among National League leaders with a .312 batting average and 40 stolen bases. Hes been caught stealing only four times. Roberts is making $2.25 million this season. Podsednik, eligible for salary arbitration, is making $2.125 million.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 07:04 AM
If Williams does this, he's much dumber than I thought...

1) Player going from NL to AL, due for downturn offensively
2) Older than Pods
3) Has been utility/bench player for much of past five years (see 04)
4) Same salary
5) Will have to be replaced in 2008, blocks all of our young players that deserve to play
6) Average defensively with poor arm (sounds familiar?)

(In 2005) Roberts stole just 23 bases at a 66% success rate, and he was overmatched trying to cover the spacious center field at Petco Park. Plagued by nagging injuries, as he has been throughout his career, Roberts was limited to 115 games. But when healthy, he provided a surprising spark at the top of the order.

from baseballthinkfactory.com

Chisox003
09-02-2006, 01:40 PM
:rolleyes:

QCIASOXFAN
09-02-2006, 02:11 PM
At least he can bunt good.:dunno:

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes:

Does anyone here actually want Dave Roberts to be our starting LF and play 145 games next year? This is lunacy.

Chisox003
09-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Does anyone here actually want Dave Roberts to be our starting LF and play 145 games next year? This is lunacy.
Did anyone here actually come out and say that?

In fact, since when do you believe ANYTHING you read or hear in the media? It's September 2, 2006. We still have a MONTH plus left in THIS season! Why would you even want to say something along the lines of "If Kenny does this, he's dumber than I thought"

To say something like that is ridiculous on more levels than one.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I'll revisit this...if he thinks Roberts can hold up and be a productive leadoff man in the American League and play 145-150 games, well, more power to him.

If he's looking at him strictly as a back-up/4th OF/PR, that's fine. I would rather give someone like Owens a shot in that role, but the veteran experience is important coming off the bench as well.

We have Ozuna and Mackowiak who aren't intended to be backup OFers. At best, Mackowiak is a platoon LF.

If we did acquire Roberts, it would probably be the demise of Ozuna.

I just can't believe KW hasn't 1) traded for a capable back-up that can play CF OR 2) ordered Ozzie to stop playing Mackowiak in CF.

Yeah, I get it, we would have to sacrifice one of our bench players to make this move (Gload or Ozuna), but he should have done something. Did they really expect that after 100 games of on-the-job-training that Mackowiak would simply get better magically?

That, and the fact that they've been too loyal to Politte and Cotts this season, to the detriment of the team.

It's one thing to pull a starter out of the rotation, but another to put a reliever in a role where he can't hurt the club (or even send him down to the minors) until things are straightened out or another course is decided upon.

ondafarm
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM

1) Player going from NL to AL, due for downturn offensively
2) Older than Pods
3) Has been utility/bench player for much of past five years (see 04)
4) Same salary
5) Will have to be replaced in 2008, blocks all of our young players that deserve to play
6) Average defensively with poor arm (sounds familiar?)

While Roberts wouldn't be my first choice he has 35+ steals in 4 of the last 5 years and has 198 steals career with only 48 career caught stealings. That's almost 80% and I just don't call that bad.

As to your points:

1) only typically for pitchers not batters.
2) so?
3) has played more than 100 games each of the last 5 seasons.
4) they are both reasonably priced. I judge them by who can help the White Sox win.
5) is self-contadictory with point 3.
6) No better or worse than Pods.

Roberts is an explosive player, Pods hasn't been this season.

If Williams choses to go after him, I don't think he's dumb.

caulfield12
09-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Roberts will be 35 two months into next season. You can probably name on one hand the number of players that have improved their steal numbers at this point in their careers AND stayed healthy for an entire season.

Everyone has been saying all year long that speed players decline much more quickly into their 30's. How does that not apply to Roberts? There's no guarantee Roberts doesn't become another version of Luis Castillo. If we're happy with Luis Castillo as our leadoff hitter, then it's okay I guess.

He's had two seasons of over 400 at-bats in his entire career. He's not a durable player. With our line-up, he would be getting 550-600 AB's.

He would have to learn the pitchers in the AL to be effective at stealing. That will take some time.

He has averaged about 110-120 games per season. Has never played over 127 games in a season.

If a CLEARLY better player than Pods is available or there are no options in the minors, then you get a Roberts. But it is a desperation move. We have players capable of doing the job. It's time for the next generation of Sox minor leaguers to come up and make an impact like Rowand and Crede.

Now if we got .272/5/44 with 50 steals/12 CS and a .350 OBP FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON, you do it. But he's never actually produced a full season close to that.