PDA

View Full Version : Radke Out?

kidmccarthy
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Brad Radke might have thrown the last pitch of his career. The Twins decided Wednesday the veteran pitcher will not make Saturday's start against New York at Yankee Stadium, and his status during the final month of the season is uncertain.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Wow this really could be a huge blow for them. He has been solid the last month or so. Too bad.

salty99
08-31-2006, 01:01 PM
so now they have Santa, Bonser, Garza, Baker, and Silva...I LIKE IT!!!

infohawk
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Tastes like chicken!

caulfield12
08-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Saw that he had vowed to pitch again before the end of the season on one of those ESPN tickers.

Twins Win
09-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Don't forget Liriano will be back within a couple weeks.

palehozenychicty
09-01-2006, 04:22 AM

True, but nobody knows how effective he will be on the mound. He has already thrown in the WBC and will need starts to regain form. Gardenhire has been adamant about rushing him too early, but we will see.

MadetoOrta
09-01-2006, 07:51 AM

There are a mere 4 weeks to go. Two weeks = 3 starts? OK For a guy with a damaged arm? Are the Twins that dumb to push him back too fast? He'll be on a pitch count of about 75 max.

JohnTucker0814
09-01-2006, 08:32 AM

SANTA plays for the Twins now... geez, who else are they going to pick up on the waiver wire, the Easter Bunny? Those sly devils in Minnesota.

gobears1987
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Don't forget Liriano will be back within a couple weeks.Liriano will be in the pen though.

PatK
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM

I've seen that movie before, and it's called "Kerry Wood: How to ruin a career".

I can't see them risking his arm just to make the playoffs like the Flubs did in 1998. The Twins are too smart for that.

the gooch
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
SANTA plays for the Twins now... geez, who else are they going to pick up on the waiver wire, the Easter Bunny? Those sly devils in Minnesota.
Well they've had a leprechaun up their ass every time they play us the past few years.

infohawk
09-01-2006, 01:53 PM
My take on this is that if the Twins are hoping to squeeze a few more starts out of a guy with a shredded shoulder during a playoff run, they must not be all that confident in the rest of their rotation. If I were a GM, I'd rather take my chances with a healthy arm over a guy pitching in pain who can't get his velocity back up and continues to regress. Brad Radke with a damaged shoulder affecting his performance is, quite frankly, not Brad Radke. His shoulder is so bad that the guy doesn't even use his arm to comb his hair or brush his teeth anymore.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
From the quotes in the Pioneer Press today, Radke will keep trying to get back on the mound as long as he can lift his arm above his waist. How effective he will be is another question, but remember, he was never a power pitcher to begin with.

jdm2662
09-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I know Radke plans on retiring at the end of the season, but seriously, can he do enough damage to his shoulder where it's not even useful in real life anymore? You can only do so much with an injury before you can say I can't do it anymore.

Tiger23
09-01-2006, 06:49 PM
I think this is too bad. The fact that he is putting himself through this for the team is quite admirable. I also don't like when my team wins because the other wasn't at full strength. Thats why I would like to see Thome stay healthy.

MarySwiss
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I think this is too bad. The fact that he is putting himself through this for the team is quite admirable. I also don't like when my team wins because the other wasn't at full strength. Thats why I would like to see Thome stay healthy.
You again? Aren't the Kittycats playing right now?

doublem23
09-01-2006, 07:40 PM

I have no problem with that. Just win, baby.

doublem23
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
... stress fracture of the shoulder socket? Yikes. (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060901&content_id=1640258&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2006, 08:01 PM
... stress fracture of the shoulder socket? Yikes. (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060901&content_id=1640258&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)Wow, a torn labrum and this. The pain this guy has been trying to work through has to be of about mach-6 intensity.

Jurr
09-01-2006, 08:29 PM
When the guy heard that he's been diagnosed with at least a partially torn labrum, he should have quit.

I guess the fact that he's looking at retirement anyway played into it, but he really jacked up his shoulder.

Patients in any walk of life try to push things, thinking they'll get better on their own. I could only imagine what having a huge contract does to your mentality.

Radke pretty much guaranteed that he's never going to pitch correctly again. That's fine, because he wanted out anyway.

He's always been a fine pitcher. Sad to see him go.

Kub_Killer_15
09-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Thats to bad to hear I might have saw his last start against the Sox and it was a Loss for him but thats fine for me. I liked him as a pitcher...he was a team player saying that I bought his bobblehead today way to go Brad. You had a nice carrer but its time to retire.

caulfield12
09-03-2006, 06:26 AM
When the guy heard that he's been diagnosed with at least a partially torn labrum, he should have quit.

I guess the fact that he's looking at retirement anyway played into it, but he really jacked up his shoulder.

Patients in any walk of life try to push things, thinking they'll get better on their own. I could only imagine what having a huge contract does to your mentality.

Radke pretty much guaranteed that he's never going to pitch correctly again. That's fine, because he wanted out anyway.

He's always been a fine pitcher. Sad to see him go.

Tell that to Mark Prior and Manny Ramirez. Any manager in baseball would prefer "warriors" like Radke, even if they're misguided. Radke hasn't hurt his team, because if he shut down, he would have had to have surgery anyways.

And, the fact is, the Twins wouldn't have come back in June, July and August without the team playing inspired baseball behind him in those games...team record during that stretch of well above .500 in his starts.