PDA

View Full Version : If the Season Ended Today...

BRDSR
08-31-2006, 01:31 AM
...the White Sox would face the Yankees in the ALDS. My question: has any team ever knocked the Yankees and Red Sox out of the playoffs in the same year or back to back years? I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened in my lifetime.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2006, 01:38 AM
In 97 the Indians beat the Yankees in the ALDS. The following year they beat the Red Sox in the ALDS. The 97 Indians beat the Orioles in 6 and lost the epic game 7 in the series to the Marlins. The 98 Tribe lost the ALCS in 6 to the eventual champion Yankees.

BRDSR
08-31-2006, 02:07 AM
In 97 the Indians beat the Yankees in the ALDS. The following year they beat the Red Sox in the ALDS. The 97 Indians beat the Orioles in 6 and lost the epic game 7 in the series to the Marlins. The 98 Tribe lost the ALCS in 6 to the eventual champion Yankees.

Alright, fine. So its been almost a decade since its happened. Still, it would be nice to stick it to ESPN.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2006, 02:15 AM
Alright, fine. So its been almost a decade since its happened. Still, it would be nice to stick it to ESPN.
The World Champion has had to go through NY or Boston every year since 98. The Red Sox are dead, but I would love to beat the Yankees in the playoffs. However, that would make it just a little sweeter. I just want to get there and win, I don't care who we have to play.

Mohoney
08-31-2006, 07:09 AM
I think that the ALCS is going to be White Sox vs. Yankees.

We're the 2 heavyweights in this thing. In my book, we're 2 of 6 teams (us, Yankees, A's, Tigers, Mets, Dodgers by a THREAD) that have realistic World Series aspirations.

After pissing away 3 straight following the 11 inning heavyweight fight in our place, including 2 at home to the Royals, I'm counting Minnesota out of the "realistic World Series aspirations" category right now. I'm not declaring them dead, but these past 4 days make me think that the other shoe is finally dropping on their fluke hot streak, and that they're out of gas with Liriano out. However, I am officially going on record as declaring Boston done, and declaring that whoever wins the NL Central between St. Louis and Cincinnati, and whatever misfit .500 team wins the NL Wild Card, are not going to face us in the World Series, so barring a fluke in the last 30 games or in the playoffs, they have no real bearing on us.

Us, the Yankees, and the Mets are definitely the most talented teams this year. I don't think that anyone can plausibly argue against this.

If the Tigers right the ship out of this prolonged slump, start hitting the long ball again, and Bonderman, Rogers, and Verlander all perform at May-July levels, they could very easily win this whole thing, paper matchups be damned. There's a manager in that dugout that has won it before, and they definitely fit the part of a "magic season" so far.

The A's have an outside shot if Zito, Haren, and Street all perform at their peak for a month, and they get some combination of 2 or 3 bats (Thomas and Chavez? Thomas and Swisher? Chavez and Swisher? Kendall added to 2 of those other 3?) to carry them offensively, where they are definitely behind both us and the Yankees, and probably the Tigers, too.

As for the Dodgers, who the hell knows? Are they this white-hot team, the ice-cold team that they were in July, or somewhere in between? Can they pose a legit challenge to a superior Mets team and steal a series from them? In my opinion, they're the only team that has a prayer of doing so, and with no Gagne, they need practically everything to go right to do it.

We really got lucky last year in the fact that we pulled the more favorable draw each round in the playoffs. We pulled a one-dimensional Boston team in the ALDS (I saw them winning one game MAX, and thanks to El Duque, they didn't even get that), We got a decidedly weaker offense in the Angels instead of the Yankees in the ALCS (this played right into our strong suit at the time, which was fantastic starting pitching), and we got a decidedly weaker offense in the Astros instead of the Cardinals (I'll take my chances against Manboobs Berkman instead of Albert Pujols ANYDAY).

I don't think that we can get that lucky 2 years in a row, so I fully expect to play the Yankees somewhere in the 2006 AL playoffs. I hope that we can either leapfrog the Tigers or have the A's leapfrog the Yankees so we can play a lesser opponent in Oakland in the ALDS and put the Yankees off until the ALCS, but it might not work out that way. We might have to play the Yankees right off the bat, and have to do it on the road to boot. Even if we don't play them in the ALDS, I honestly don't see Detroit playing the 2005 Angels role and knocking the Yankees out in the ALDS.

Therefore, you look at potential playoff matchups, and come up with the following:

ALDS: Yankees or A's (real damn tough either way, but I would rather have Oakland. We could get a few cheap outs with all that foul ground, and coupled with an opposing offense that is decidedly inferior to the Yankees, that could really neutralize our shortcomings in the pitching department.)

ALCS: Yankees, A's, or Tigers (I definitely want the team that we're 11-5 against. We seem to have a pretty good approach against everyone except Rogers, and to be honest, Mussina, Unit, Zito, and Haren all scare me more than the Gambler. Plus, both Rivera and Street scare me a lot more than Todd freaking Jones. I guess that I would rather face the A's lineup, but Comerica has been a lot kinder to us than that **** pit in Oakland.)

World Series: If it's anyone other than the Mets, I'll be absolutely shocked, and salivating at the same time.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
The ESPN omsbudsman has a new column out where he asks about the constant showing of Yankees-Red Sox at the expense (and he specifically mentions) of the Sox and Tigers.

The response was 'they generate the most interest' at ESPN.

Obviously Sox fans have been sending him e-mails.

You may want to read the entire column at ESPN.com

Lip

Iwritecode
08-31-2006, 12:21 PM
The ESPN omsbudsman has a new column out where he asks about the constant showing of Yankees-Red Sox at the expense (and he specifically mentions) of the Sox and Tigers.

The response was 'they generate the most interest' at ESPN.

Obviously Sox fans have been sending him e-mails.

You may want to read the entire column at ESPN.com

Lip

Link?

Lip Man 1
08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Here you go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2566936

Lip

Iwritecode
08-31-2006, 12:47 PM
"The Yankee-Red Sox games attract a large viewership," said Berson, noting that 81 percent of ESPN's audience resides in the Eastern and Central time zones. "Some people believe we favor those teams. But they are great attractions nationally."

Sounds like a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" type of thing.

Is it possible that 81 percent of the audience is in the Eastern and Central time zones simply because they show the Yankees and Red Sox so much?

The only time I watch them at all is when the Sox are on or to get scores/highlights when Comcast is showing something else.

DSpivack
08-31-2006, 03:21 PM

Is it possible that 81 percent of the audience is in the Eastern and Central time zones simply because they show the Yankees and Red Sox so much?

The only time I watch them at all is when the Sox are on or to get scores/highlights when Comcast is showing something else.

What a dumb stat. The Tigers play in the Eastern, the Sox in the Central. So because 81% of their audience is Central/Eastern, then viewers in Detroit would rather watch the Red Sox or Yankees than the Tigers? :?:

PKalltheway
09-01-2006, 12:09 AM
...the White Sox would face the Yankees in the ALDS. My question: has any team ever knocked the Yankees and Red Sox out of the playoffs in the same year or back to back years? I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened in my lifetime.
The 1975 Reds beat Boston in the World Series in seven games, then in '76 swept the Yankees in the World Series.
EDIT: Oops, I just saw your profile and this happened before you were born. Don't worry, it happened before I was born too and I'm younger than you lol! If ESPN existed during that time, they would have declared a National Crisis. Maybe that's why they pushed their debut to 1979.:redneck

ShoelessJoeS
09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Here you go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2566936

LipESPN is such a joke of an institution that they don't deserve the time of WSI and Sox fans alike.

Hitmen77
09-01-2006, 07:31 AM

That's such BS. For football, the networks aren't nearly as obsessed with the eastern bias. Anyone ever hear them wring their hands when the Patriots and Jets aren't both in the playoffs?

Yes, i know the Yankees/Red Sox is a big rivalry, but the interest in other teams problem is mostly ESPN's own doing. Outside of local markets, people these days rely on ESPN to keep up with what's going on in baseball. Teams other than the prominant few get very little coverage or credit from the network bozos no matter how good they are. Then by October, those idiots are complaining that nobody cares about anything other than the 5 or 6 teams they spend all season covering.

Mohoney
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
That's such BS. For football, the networks aren't nearly as obsessed with the eastern bias. Anyone ever hear them wring their hands when the Patriots and Jets aren't both in the playoffs?

They practically went on suicide watch when the Broncos knocked "beloved Tom Brady" and "Everybody's Favorite Dynasty" out of the AFC playoffs.

I'm so glad that Denver won that game. I'm so glad that Pittsburgh won the whole thing. ANYBODY but New England!

Law11
09-01-2006, 08:08 AM
if the season eneded today I'd lose a bet I had to drop 20 pounds by end of the season.. still 5 to go....
Play on boys ..