PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Grazing In The Meadows 8/30/06 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
And over there you can see the late-inning Iguchi feasting on a meatball!

A much needed comeback.

MrX
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Is there a more incompetent team than Tampa Bay?

I do love their bullpen.

2ndCitySox
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Awesome play and awesome call!
WOW!

JB98
08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
The first seven innings: Bad

After that: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

stl_sox_fan
Bevi, I noticed you left the gamethreads early. Way to not let me down with the title.

Oh and nice come from behind win by the Sox tonight!!!!! Garland with the win!!!!

cheeses_h_rice
I left to go on a run when it was 4-1. How'd the Sox come back?

2ndCitySox
:winner

:twinslose

Too bad the Tigers split.

slobes
unbelievable. We played so terribly those first 7 innings, I was worried.

Eh who cares. We won!:bandance:

A. Cavatica
Someone please describe the last out(s)?

eurotrash35
what the heck happened on that last play?

bluestar
Ugly, but one of those gutsy come-from-behind wins that you have to have this time of the year.

:supernana:

russ99
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Wow, freaky end to a freaky ballgame. Still, I'll take the win! :D:

I'm glad you guys didn't name the thread "*Official* Pods blows chunks, Sox win anyway" :tongue:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
WOOO!!! Tad is the man, congrats for Jon on W #16, the Sox extend their lead in the Wild Card:winner

2ndCitySox
PTC has to be Guch! Way to go Guch! Thanks.

CLR01
LuvSox didn't lie, he showed up and the Sox took the lead.

Well done Sir. Now back to the Pacific. :thumbsup:

LuvSox
These young guys on Tampa come out swinging either out of ignorance of arrogance and knock the ball around early, but do really stupid **** late and blow a game. No wonder they've lost 81 games already.

Lorenzo Barcelo
Does that count as a 9-3-6 dp?????

BeviBall!
Bevi, I noticed you left the gamethreads early. Way to not let me down with the title.

Oh and nice come from behind win by the Sox tonight!!!!! Garland with the win!!!!

I get too nervous to chat, late in close games. What a way to end it... if you're scoring at home is that a 9-3-6 DP?

TheOldRoman
Dye came up huge again.
3 hits, 2 runs
Singled, stole 2nd, and scored the winning run in the 8th
Made a GREAT catch to save the game (tie game, runner on third if he misses it).

Send this gametape to ESPN and ask them who the MVP is now.

russ99
08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Zobrist ran with the pitch, ran past 2nd base, and didn't re-tag it on the way back to first. Thankfully the ump was right on top of it.:D:

PeteWard
Can someone with a TV PLEASE describe how the game ended!!!!!

RSox78
Good pitching effort by Jon after a bad first

kobo
The runner ran to 2nd and touched the bag. He then sprinted back to first to beat the throw, howeve, he didn't touch 2nd again on his way back to first. If you touch a base and then head back to the one behind you, you must touch that base again.

pasquasroachclip
Runner on 1st was going, Baldelli lined out to Dye, the runner didn't tag second on his way back to first. Dye threw the ball back to Konerko, who then threw it to second for the double play. Make sense? (I hope)

thomas35forever
08-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Farmio calls another Sox homer!:bandance:

What a bizzare way to end the game, but the hell with it. A win's a win. 1 1/2 game lead in the WC.

voodoochile

Runner took off on the pitch, ball was lined to Dye who made an amazing throw to first, but the runner beat the ball back, however, he had just barely rounded second and failed to touch second base on his way back to first. The Sox threw to second and the appeal was upheld. The runner was ruled out, game over.

:winner

4.5 back

1.5 up

:):supernana:

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
The sun shine in...

:)

gobears1987
Freaking sweet.

After hanging out in chat tonight, I've concluded that we are all bipolar.

A. Cavatica
Who on the Sox noticed it?

BeviBall!
The runner ran to 2nd and touched the bag. He then sprinted back to first to beat the throw, howeve, he didn't touch 2nd again on his way back to first. If you touch a base and then head back to the one behind you, you must touch that base again.

QFT

LuvSox
LuvSox didn't lie, he showed up and the Sox took the lead.

Well done Sir. Now back to the Pacific. :thumbsup:

Later folks!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/ccContent/images/hurricane_john_NOAA1.jpg

PAPChiSox729
08-30-2006, 10:03 PM
The champs are back.

Let's just hope they stay awhile.

thomas35forever
One other thing: Jim Thome hasn't lost a step!

russ99
Freaking sweet.

After hanging out in chat tonight, I've concluded that we are all bipolar.

You kind have to be, to follow this team! :D:

beckett21
Big win. Huge.

:sunshine:

MrX
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
PTC has to be Guch! Way to go Guch! Thanks.
Pods and his golden sombrero should get it

aryzner
Today is a beautiful day. :D:

Kogs35
i think i kept my nails by watching on mlb gamecast instead of mlb.tv . nice come back in the 8th

A. Cavatica
They're all big now.

If the other guys win, we have to keep pace. If they lose, we have to gain ground. Today, at least, we picked up some ground on everyone.

Murphy10
Thank you white sox, major breathing room with that 1.5 game lead now.

Jermaine's showing he can do it on the basepaths too. What can't he do?

BeviBall!
08-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Garland deserved the win after sticking it out 8 innings.

It's a good thing we played with 27 outs through 8 innings. Bad TB defense + clutch, late inning WS hitting = sound sleep for Soxdom.

RSox78
One other thing: Jim Thome hasn't lost a step!

I like that Ozzie had Alex pinch run for him. We dont need him to pull the hammie again

CLR01

Farmer not calling a Sox homer would be more amazing.

kobo
I love Dye in the 3 spot, and him being there tonight helped the Sox get the win. If that had been Thome in his spot we would have gone into the 9th tied instead of on top. I know some people today were saying Thome should still be hitting third, but after tonight's game, I hope Oz keeps Dye in the 3 spot for as long as possible.

infohawk
I wish I could have watched it but I don't get WCIU. Anyway, last I heard it was 4-2 so I left in a huff to run to the store and get milk. I almost didn't turn on my XM Radio because I didn't want to participate in the frustration. My worse judgement took over and I was sure jacked up to see the little XM screen say 4-4! Jim Thome had put us ahead by the time I got to the store. Heck of a win!!!

A. Cavatica
Hey, despite a bad first inning, Garland is now 16-4! Way to settle down JG!

Unregistered
08-30-2006, 10:07 PM

I do love their bullpen.
Man, we'd probably be getting our brains beat out in this series if we weren't playing Tampa Bay. But hell, I'll take it. The Sox can play down to their competition all they want as long as they end up winning in the end, I s'pose.

Just keep winning! :bandance:

stl_sox_fan
08-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Ahh, just got to see the highlights, pretty kooky ending.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Only 4 back in the AL Central. This thing is still doable! Just keep winning. We need a good outing from Mr. 5 Innings tomorrow. I'd like to thank KC for playing the Twins just as hard as they play us. I feared they would roll over and die for them but that has not been the case.:cool:

PeteWard
08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow! thanks to all for that description of the final play. Cant wait to see it on the highlights. Was that a diving or routine catch by JD? Could be Bobby's weirdest save ever.

By the way, I take everything back about Ortiz that I posted a month ago (he is still great though). If JD has half the September that he he had in August...MVP!He is all over the boxscore again today.

Twins have to be bumming out. Two in a row at home to KC and the other two rivals get comeback wins while their rally falls short.:bandance:

Too bad Torre couldn't use Rivera twice today.We'd be 3/12 out!!!:whiner:

infohawk
08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Only 4 back in the AL Central. This thing is still doable! Just keep winning. We need a good outing from Mr. 5 Innings tomorrow. I'd like to thank KC for playing the Twins just as hard as they play us. I feared they would roll over and die for them but that has not been the case.:cool:
Not to quibble, but isn't it 4.5 back? It was 4.5 back after the first Yankee-Tiger game. We won and they won at night meaning nothing was gained beyond the 4.5.

eurotrash35
08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
man, is cantu just brutal out there or what? :tongue:

whitesoxfan87
08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
it really sucks watching the game between the Gameday thing and the scroll bar on ESPN here at Purdue...damn WCIU

voodoochile
08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Wow! thanks to all for that description of the final play. Cant wait to see it on the highlights. Was that a diving or routine catch by JD? Could be Bobby's weirdest save ever.

By the way, I take everything back about Ortiz that I posted a month ago (he is still great though). If JD has half the September that he he had in August...MVP!He is all over the boxscore again today.

Twins have to be bumming out. Two in a row at home to KC and the other two rivals get comeback wins while their rally falls short.:bandance:

Too bad Torre couldn't use Rivera twice today.We'd be 3/12 out!!!:whiner:

Ball was hit hard, but it would have hit the wall if Dye doesn't catch it at about head level. He didn't have to dive, but it was a good play, though not incredibly difficult. The throw to first was pretty freaking amazing.

eurotrash35
08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
weird, sportscenter had the last play on their highlights but sportsnight didn't. :?:

PorkChopExpress
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM

That happens a lot when you call a homer in every at bat. "A long one here will pull the Sox one run closer.":cool:

kevingrt
08-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Well that was exciting. :bandance:

BNLSox
08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Did anyone pick up the phone and call their best friend to say how much they hate the team for all the crap they put us through after Gooch tied it up?

My friend and I did that simultaneously.....

I think this team has made us all a little bipolar.

aryzner
08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
it really sucks watching the game between the Gameday thing and the scroll bar on ESPN here at Purdue...damn WCIU
Hey, hey a Purdue student!

I just graduated from there last year. When the Sox won the World Series I ran up and down North St (right off of Northwestern, kind of near Chauncey Hill) by my apartment screaming and screaming about the Sox! You should have heard the things I had screamed at me by the Cubs fans there. (Of which there are many at Purdue... at least from whom I have met!)

Frankfan4life
08-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey, despite a bad first inning, Garland is now 16-4! Way to settle down JG!Unfortunately, Jon's ERA is still too high to be considered a Cy Young candidate. However, winning games is more important than that award anyway.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't know if someone shouted to Paulie to throw back to 2nd or if he did it on his own but that's knowing the rules and that's head-up baseball.

Someone should take some credit for that little gem.

When you play poorly and win, someone's looking out for you. I'll take it. I hope they look sharp tomorrow and can pull off the sweep.

Thanks to both the Yankees and the Royals for extending the Sox wild card lead and closing a half game off Detroit.

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 10:23 PM
These punny postgame threads are getting ridiculous.

Keeping this one short.

Unbelievable. That had a 2005 feel to it baby.

A. Cavatica
08-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately, Jon's ERA is still too high to be considered a Cy Young candidate. However, winning games is more important than that award anyway.

His ERA is wrong because he was AWOL for the first couple months of the season. I'm pretty sure that counts against him too. But he has been really good since I ripped on him here on WSI, calling him a .500 pitcher who had one good season and was reverting to his normal level. :D:

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't know if someone shouted to Paulie to throw back to 2nd or if he did it on his own but that's knowing the rules and that's head-up baseball.

Someone should take some credit for that little gem.

When you play poorly and win, someone's looking out for you. I'll take it. I hope they look sharp tomorrow and can pull off the sweep.

Thanks to both the Yankees and the Royals for extending the Sox wild card lead and closing a half game off Detroit.

Lip

From how Hawk and DJ made it sound, it seemed like the infielders were yelling for the throw to 2nd.

SpartanSoxFan
08-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I left to go on a run when it was 4-1. How'd the Sox come back?

That is so weird!!! I left to go on a run also around the 4th inning when they were down 4-0. I come back and the rally begins. At least I know I'm not the only weird one running when it is pitch black outside. :redneck

aryzner
08-30-2006, 10:26 PM
I think we should also tip our hats and thank the Kansas City Royals for their victory of the Twins tonight.

I was so happy to hear that they had won again.

Go for the sweep, KC!

russ99
08-30-2006, 10:26 PM
I think we should also tip our hats and thank the Kansas City Royals for their victory of the Twins tonight.

Go for the sweep, KC!

And right after that, lose 3 in a row!

Deacon24
08-30-2006, 10:27 PM
to appeal at 2nd. The camera caught him coming out to the mound to high five the guys and he had quite a smirk on his face...gotta love AJ...

Also it's a pleasure watching JD dominate games...you can even credit him a little for Gooch's HR - no way was he getting anything other than a fastball over the middle 1/3 of the plate.

Big Win...

Frankfan4life
08-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Zobrist ran with the pitch, ran past 2nd base, and didn't re-tag it on the way back to first. Thankfully the ump was right on top of it.:D:IIRC, Dye or another Sox baserunner did the same thing in a game not too long ago and got away with it. I'm sure someone here will remember more of the details.

kevingrt
08-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Farmio seemed pretty pumped in the 9th, I think he is getting into shape. It's beautiful to listen to when he is jacked up.

slobes
IIRC, Dye or another Sox baserunner did the same thing in a game not too long ago and got away with it. I'm sure someone here will remember more of the details.

Yeah that was Dye during that 19 inning game. He didn't retag 3rd on his way back to 2nd. Ah well, the BoSox didn't appeal that game. We did here.

BadBobbyJenks
IIRC, Dye or another Sox baserunner did the same thing in a game not too long ago and got away with it. I'm sure someone here will remember more of the details.

Yep Dye rounded third and failed to tough it against boston in that marathon of a game, but it was not called. It was the whole Gload/Cora/Dye miscue on a flyball to right

MadetoOrta
08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Would Torre have left Rivera in the pen against us? Could'a been a perfect evening. 2 down, 4 to go.

DickAllen72
08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
I love Dye in the 3 spot, and him being there tonight helped the Sox get the win. If that had been Thome in his spot we would have gone into the 9th tied instead of on top. I know some people today were saying Thome should still be hitting third, but after tonight's game, I hope Oz keeps Dye in the 3 spot for as long as possible.

Amen, bro.

Also, I wonder if Pods lost his starting LF job tonight. Personally, I'd like to see Gload get a chance to start out there and bat leadoff. Mack could replace him for late inning defense. Pods could be used strictly as a pinch runner/reserve outfielder.

Let's finish them off tomorrow! :gulp:

Gregory Pratt
08-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd just like to quickly defend Scott Podsednik.
It isn't the first time that a player on our team has struck out three times or more in a game. Jermaine Dye has done it twice before, for instance.

I know Podsednik isn't held in the high regard as JD, and he shouldn't be, but I'm just saying. Hopefully, someone defending him will give Pods the karma to clear the air for himself and have a good day his next outing.

Deebs14
08-30-2006, 10:34 PM
It was only a matter of time before the Sox into that vaunted TB bullpen. They just like to make us sweat these games out, that's all. :cool:

Gregory Pratt
08-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Go for the sweep, KC!

A few posters here are feeling glum about KC facing Detroit to end the season as they consider this to be bad because we'll be dueling Minnesota.

The way I see it, is, KC plays everyone hard, and would love to spoil someone's playoff hopes. I'd rather face Minnesota than KC at that point in the season.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Not to quibble, but isn't it 4.5 back? It was 4.5 back after the first Yankee-Tiger game. We won and they won at night meaning nothing was gained beyond the 4.5.
Ah, you are correct. 4.5 it is. I guess I was getting ahead of myself with optimism.:cool: Still, to be only 4.5 back with 30 games left is definitely doable. It won't be easy but I feel better about our chances now that the Tigers have cooled off a bit.

If only Scott Proctor could have shut the door in game 2 for the Yanks...we'd be looking at only 3.5 back. I have a feeling if they didn't have such a comfy lead in the AL East that Torre for sure would have used Rivera in the 2nd game as well. I can't say that I blame him for resting the guy though. The Yanks can pretty much start planning their ALDS pitching rotation.:(:

MrX
08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
I'd rather face Minnesota than KC at that point in the season. :thud:

eurotrash35
08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
ahhhh, don't click on the gamewrap on whitesox.com :o:

Gregory Pratt
:thud:

:P

It's just the way I see it, what with the fact that KC plays us rough each time and will be edging to spoil someone's playoff chances.

DickAllen72
It won't be easy but I feel better about our chances now that the Tigers have cooled off a bit.

If only Scott Proctor could have shut the door in game 2 for the Yanks...we'd be looking at only 3.5 back.

That was huge for Detroit. That's the kind of victory that can snap the Tigers out of their funk. Let's hope not.

slobes
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
ahhhh, don't click on the gamewrap on whitesox.com :o:

Yikes, how'd that happen?

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Ah, you are correct. 4.5 it is. I guess I was getting ahead of myself with optimism.:cool: Still, to be only 4.5 back with 30 games left is definitely doable. It won't be easy but I feel better about our chances now that the Tigers have cooled off a bit.

If only Scott Proctor could have shut the door in game 2 for the Yanks...we'd be looking at only 3.5 back. I have a feeling if they didn't have such a comfy lead in the AL East that Torre for sure would have used Rivera in the 2nd game as well. I can't say that I blame him for resting the guy though. The Yanks can pretty much start planning their ALDS pitching rotation.:(:
Well, we are 4.5 games back, but only 4 back in the loss column. The Tigers have played one more game, and won one more game.
On the other hand, we are 1.5 up on the Twins, but only 1 up in the loss column. There is A LOT of baseball left to be played.

LuvSox
08-30-2006, 10:43 PM

"There is nothing wrong with your computer" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78031)

Foulke You
That was huge for Detroit. That's the kind of victory that can snap the Tigers out of their funk. Let's hope not.
The Tigers absolutely had to have that game. They would have dropped 1.5 games in the standings and would have been looking at their shortest division lead since June I think. I have to hand it to Craig Monroe, that guy is clutch. I can't believe the Tigers have had so much luck with Todd Jones closing out ballgames. I keep waiting for that "Dempster/Cormona" like blown save streak to come for Jones but it hasn't happened yet. How do you have so many saves as a closer with such a high E.R.A.?

PeteWard

No Yanks will bounce back with Johnson and smack Bonderman around.

But yes that homer was very big for them.

eurotrash35
08-30-2006, 10:45 PM

looks like somebody put in the wrong URL. I was playing around with it a bit and you can actually make it look like any team releases it. all you have to do is change the last part of the URL to the abbreviation for whatever team you want.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060830&content_id=1636648&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

JB98
08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
The Tigers absolutely had to have that game. They would have dropped 1.5 games in the standings and would have been looking at their shortest division lead since June I think. I have to hand it to Craig Monroe, that guy is clutch. I can't believe the Tigers have had so much luck with Todd Jones closing out ballgames. I keep waiting for that "Dempster/Cormona" like blown save streak to come for Jones but it hasn't happened yet. How do you have so many saves as a closer with such a high E.R.A.?

We were only two games back at the All-Star break. 4.5 back is as close as it has been for about a month, but we were pretty close until that 10 out of 12 swoon we had in mid-July.

On August 8, we began play 10 games back. If someone had told us then we'd be 4.5 out on August 30, I think we all would have taken it. The irony is, we should probably be even closer than that. The back-to-back losses at home to the Royals hurt.

slavko
08-30-2006, 10:49 PM

You are correct, sir. This pennant race stuff is such fun that no one even bothers to post about consecutive Heartbreaking Cub Losses. We're past that.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Looks like the Procologist took it from the Tiger, too.:angry:
I just hope that game doesn't catapult Detriot, whose season has been circling the drain for a month now.
Good: After tomorrow Det goes out west for 6 games.
Bad: The Angels have been cold lately, getting swpet by the Mariners
Good: The Mariners have been red hot lately, winning their last 6

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 10:52 PM
We were only two games back at the All-Star break. 4.5 back is as close as it has been for about a month, but we were pretty close until that 10 out of 12 swoon we had in mid-July.

On August 8, we began play 10 games back. If someone had told us then we'd be 4.5 out on August 30, I think we all would have taken it. The irony is, we should probably be even closer than that. The back-to-back losses at home to the Royals hurt.
SAID THE TWINS!!!

HI-YOOOOO!:)

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
That was truly unexpected considering the Sox were doing everything they could to not capitalize on earlier mistakes by Tampa (especially YOU, Scott "Nearly Golden Sombrero" Podsednik!).

Jermaine Dye truly is clutch in every way regardless of the aspect of the game. If he doesn't win the MVP award, it'll be a traveshamockery!

Myrtle72
08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
If he doesn't win the MVP award, it'll be a traveshamockery!

traveshamockery! Great use of vocabularly there (I'm serious)! And yes, it most definitely will.

:D:

markopat
08-30-2006, 11:28 PM
WOW...Nice Win for us tonight! We needed that!

VERY enjoyable WSI Chatroom tonight...You guys all rock!

ilsox7
08-30-2006, 11:36 PM
It isn't the first time that a player on our team has struck out three times or more in a game. Jermaine Dye has done it twice before, for instance.

I know Podsednik isn't held in the high regard as JD, and he shouldn't be, but I'm just saying. Hopefully, someone defending him will give Pods the karma to clear the air for himself and have a good day his next outing.
It's not necessarily that he struck out 4 times and hit the ball 135 feet in his other AB, it's the complete lack of approach at the plate. He had many, many opportunities tonight where all he had to do was his a ground ball to the right side to make a productive out, yet he went up there flailing. It was pretty awful.

And yes, it was AJ who came running toward PK to have him throw to 2nd on the last play. He was all over it.

Brian26
08-30-2006, 11:39 PM
It's not necessarily that he struck out 4 times and hit the ball 135 feet in his other AB, it's the complete lack of approach at the plate. He had many, many opportunities tonight where all he had to do was his a ground ball to the right side to make a productive out, yet he went up there flailing. It was pretty awful.

Yep, well said. Pods was an automatic out tonight. Totally unproductive approach at the plate. Time for Ozzie to slide Mackowiak into leftfield and the leadoff spot for a game to try it out. Neither the defense nor the offense will suffer.

Brian26
08-30-2006, 11:41 PM
That was truly unexpected considering the Sox were doing everything they could to not capitalize on earlier mistakes by Tampa (especially YOU, Scott "Nearly Golden Sombrero" Podsednik!).

Nearly? He did get the sombrero. Four strikouts, right?

TomBradley72
08-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I'd stay with Pods a little longer...he was showing signs of life (getting on base, stolen bases) the last few games...if he could get hot for a few weeks it would be huge...the payoff is worth a little more patience.

A real highlight for me tonight was Thome's hit...if he could go on one more tear in September we'll be using our post season tix.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Nearly? He did get the sombrero. Four strikouts, right?

Ma bad. I was thinking back to his fly-out and disregarded the following K. How horrible he's been!

LuvSox
08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Thome out tomorrow (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Anxn9geVPWlXQph7mPknHBMRvLYF?gid=260830 104)

goodsy72
08-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Fox Sports game recap says Thome re aggravated the hamstring leaving the box on that last play. It also says he will sit out the finale tommarrow. Hope it's not going to nag him the rest of the way.:(:

DumpJerry
08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Ummmm......no *cough*Cubs*cough*.......

CaptainBallz
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM

yeah, it's unfortunate. I was at the game tonight and was basically scoreboard watching for the first seven innings. Once it was 3-2 Yanks in the ninth, I was convinced that Rivera was in taking care of business. That red dot stayed on DET for about an hour it seemed. All I wanted was the "F" to show up next to the score. It was quite annoying seeing that 5 pop up there instead.
Oh well. That only solidifies the fact that the Sox just need to KEEP WINNING their own damn games.
Fugly wins are just something we're going to have to deal with.

TheDarkGundam
08-31-2006, 12:50 AM
WOW...Nice Win for us tonight! We needed that!

VERY enjoyable WSI Chatroom tonight...You guys all rock!
That surprises you? :cool:
Assuming the Sox are winning, Chat is awesome.
If the Sox are losing...well, stay away from sharp objects and high ledges. :redneck

WhiteSox1983
08-31-2006, 12:53 AM
:rolling: at the golden sombrero comment

But pods needs to be productive.

ShoelessJoeS
08-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Yep, well said. Pods was an automatic out tonight. Totally unproductive approach at the plate. Time for Ozzie to slide Mackowiak into leftfield and the leadoff spot for a game to try it out. Neither the defense nor the offense will suffer.Actually not a bad idea considering Mack can actually reach base and make productive outs. Who cares if he's not that fast, right? Once again, a good idea, but you're forgetting one thing...

:ozzie
"I make the ****ing lineups"

So it won't happen.

IlliniSox4Life
08-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Fox Sports game recap says Thome re aggravated the hamstring leaving the box on that last play. It also says he will sit out the finale tommarrow. Hope it's not going to nag him the rest of the way.:(:

This is not good. Hopefully it will be done with soon. We've done a good job without Thome in the lineup so far, but Dye has been ridiculously hot. Hopefully we can keep it up against KC, and Thome is back and 100% by Boston.

Mohoney
08-31-2006, 01:42 AM
This is not good. Hopefully it will be done with soon. We've done a good job without Thome in the lineup so far, but Dye has been ridiculously hot. Hopefully we can keep it up against KC, and Thome is back and 100% by Boston.

Thank heaven that Thome didn't get hurt in early July instead of now. Come Friday, we can get help, and we don't have to do anything rash like DL Thome to get an able body up here.

In fact, I wouldn't mind giving him all 3 KC games off as a precaution.

Mohoney
08-31-2006, 01:56 AM

Amen. Even on a day where he was off, he still kept us in it. He gave us more than enough chances to reverse momentum facing a doormat team.

We FINALLY got our heads out of our asses and cashed in against this weak sauce bunch of losers in the bottom of the 8th, and I'm so glad that Ozzie didn't go schitzo when Garland let a runner on in the top of the 8th and pull him.

Let's just say "**** convention" tomorrow and sweep this 90+ loss team now that we have them on the ropes. That "just win series" bull**** needs to be thrown out the window when you get a chance to GUARANTEE a 2 game gain on the Twins by winning tomorrow.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2006, 02:10 AM
Amen. Even on a day where he was off, he still kept us in it. He gave us more than enough chances to reverse momentum facing a doormat team.

We FINALLY got our heads out of our asses and cashed in against this weak sauce bunch of losers in the bottom of the 8th, and I'm so glad that Ozzie didn't go schitzo when Garland let a runner on in the top of the 8th and pull him.

Let's just say "**** convention" tomorrow and sweep this 90+ loss team now that we have them on the ropes. That "just win series" bull**** needs to be thrown out the window when you get a chance to GUARANTEE a 2 game gain on the Twins by winning tomorrow. Going into a series your goal is to win it, not to sweep. You obviously would love a sweep, but You can't beat any team every time, no matter how good you are and how bad they are. What the hell attitude should they have? Do you think they go into a series saying "let's just win the first two games so we don't have to try on Sunday"? GMAB. The Sox will go into this game with the same attitude they went into their other games. Hopefully they have better results than they have most of the time they won the first two games. I agree that we need to sweep them tomorrow, but "let's win every series" is not a bad attitude to have.

Mohoney
08-31-2006, 02:48 AM
Going into a series your goal is to win it, not to sweep. You obviously would love a sweep, but You can't beat any team every time, no matter how good you are and how bad they are. What the hell attitude should they have? Do you think they go into a series saying "let's just win the first two games so we don't have to try on Sunday"? GMAB. The Sox will go into this game with the same attitude they went into their other games. Hopefully they have better results than they have most of the time they won the first two games. I agree that we need to sweep them tomorrow, but "let's win every series" is not a bad attitude to have.

I totally agree with the convention. I totally agree with your mindset.

It's just that I can't help myself from thinking that tomorrow is a real statement game, with the Tigers reeling and the Twins having lost 3 in a row.

What I'm trying to say is, that it's not just sweeping for the sake of sweeping like the Baltimore, Kansas City, and Toronto series on that one road trip. It's a real statement game tomorrow, and could signal who makes a move and who gets left in the dust.

Imagine if we win tomorrow and Minnesota loses tomorrow. That's simply huge.

Rob190
08-31-2006, 03:17 AM
[quote

Imagine if we win tomorrow and Minnesota loses tomorrow. That's simply huge.[/quote]

Unfortunately the matchups favor the Twins. They have Santana going against De Larosa, who has an 8 ERA.

Grzegorz
08-31-2006, 04:52 AM

It's a good thing we played with 27 outs through 8 innings. Bad TB defense + clutch, late inning WS hitting = sound sleep for Soxdom.

I agree Garland deserved it. He hung in there and fought it out and pitched tough to give his teammates a chance to win.

I love these types of games because they tend to show the character of a team. Anderson gets hit , and it looked painful, and he stays in the game and contributes with a great sacrifice with two strike against him.

Dye steals two bases, the last one allows JD to score on Thome's base hit.

AJ throws out BJ Upton twice; good thing Jon was on the mound to keep him close.

Iguchi comes through with a huge home run. Character; from this starter through the position players. I'd love to see this character from all our starters.

As for Pods, I figured he'd take a huge hit but we need the guy the rest of the season. When individuals have bad games the opportunity is there for the others on the team to pick that player up.

Iguchi, JD, Thome, PK, Garland, & BA picked up Pods; that's the sign of a winning team.

HerzogVon
08-31-2006, 06:51 AM
A few posters here are feeling glum about KC facing Detroit to end the season as they consider this to be bad because we'll be dueling Minnesota.

The way I see it, is, KC plays everyone hard, and would love to spoil someone's playoff hopes. I'd rather face Minnesota than KC at that point in the season.

Agreed. KC is a lot more dangerous club now than earlier in the season - for whatever reason - and they seem to delight in playing contenders tough: The point being that bottom teams can never be taken for granted.

Anyone who remembers the gut wrenching 1967 race will also remember that it was the two worst teams in the league - Baltimore* and the then KC Athletics - who gave the Sox fits all year, and eventually caused us to finish in fourth place. Now, can anyone name three starting pitchers ever who were better than Joel Horlen, Gary Peters and Tommy John were in that season?

* OK, the O's did beat out Cleveland and the Yorkies that year, but they seemed weaker!

bluestar
08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Yep, well said. Pods was an automatic out tonight. Totally unproductive approach at the plate. Time for Ozzie to slide Mackowiak into leftfield and the leadoff spot for a game to try it out. Neither the defense nor the offense will suffer.

I agree that Mackowiak would be the logical choice to replace Pods in LF, but Ozzie does not think with any kind of logic we know. A recent article at whitesox.com quoted him as saying he was considering playing Gload in LF if Pods continued to slump.

Ozzie seems to think that CF is the only position Mackowiak can play now. I'm waiting for the game when he puts Ozuna in LF, Mackowiak in CF, and Gload in RF.:o:

The Racehorse
08-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Imagine if we win tomorrow and Minnesota loses tomorrow. That's simply huge.
I imagine I'll gain 10 lbs over the weekend watching the Sox & college football on the big screens. :D:

MsSoxVixen22
08-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow....what a game! For awhile there I thought we were gonna loose this one. Then Gooch comes up, and my Dad says come on Gooch, you're due. A bloop and a blast. And sure enough! He's almost as bad as Farmio calling homers! BIG WIN for the team. Let's hope Javy doesn't self destruct this afternoon...and if he does Ozzie will take him out right away!

Tiger23
08-31-2006, 08:48 AM

Todd Jones has been money for a long time now. He hasn't blown a save since June 9th. Back when he was pitching bad (and when I say bad I mean disgustingly bad), we were told that his hamstring hadn't yet healed completely. None of us believed this explanation due to his past history with the team. However, it seems we were wrong not to believe, as he rarely even gets into trouble anymore. I mean the guy didn't even walk a single batter in August. I am now very confident at the end of games when he comes in. The fact that I'm expecting the Tigers to actually hold a lead is much more frightening than the fact that its Todd Jones trying to do it.

itsnotrequired
08-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Last night was fun.

Sig update time...

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
That surprises you? :cool:
Assuming the Sox are winning, Chat is awesome.
If the Sox are losing...well, stay away from sharp objects and high ledges. :redneck
I don't think the chat's bad when we're losing. Negative performance causes negative reaction. But not a lot of moping and carrying on, nothing uncalled for or beyond the norm in that sense though. Occasionally it seems one guy will come along and just dark cloud the hell out of everything--Pierzynski12 anyone? That happens every year at a few points and the poster eventually is handed his walking papers for some reason anyway.

spiffie
08-31-2006, 09:48 AM

If this was a player having a single bad night I would totally agree with you. But, no matter how much some people defend him because he's really fast and had one good month to inflate his stats, Pods by the numbers:
June: 245/318/362
July: 287/330/394
August: 227/289/550
Since ASB: 230/289/302

4 out of 5 months of the year we have had a well-below average player in the #1 spot and in LF. Yes, Pods has a great month, where he went off for a 318/443/494 line. However, the other 80% of the season this is what we've been playing with.

Pods overall excluding May (his one abberation month):
366 AB, 91 H, 19 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 34 RBI, 29 BB, 71 K, 22 SB, 11 CS (no splits for sac flies/sac bunts by month, but he has 11 total, so assume 7 during the time in question), 2 HBP. So his stats during that time:
BA: .249
OBP: .302
SLG: .333
Steal Success Rate: 50%

So, outside of that one month, where does Pods rank amongst his peers:
Among AL guys with more than 250 plate appearances in the #1 spot:
BA: 14/14, OBP: 14/14, SLG: 14/14
Oh, and just FYI, he comes in 13/14 in BA and OBP if you count overall #'s, and 12/14 in SLG.

How about amongst LF's?
Excluding his one big month:
BA: 12/13, OBP: 13/13, SLG: 13/13. But hey, overall he comes in 8/13 in OBP. So he's only somewhat below average instead of dead last!

I love what Podsednik did for this team last year. He set a tone in the first half that kept us going all year long. But whatever happened to him last year in the second half has pretty much ruined him, and I don't know that he will ever be able to be the player he was. And sadly the player he is now is not capable of being a starting OF and #1 hitter for a World Series caliber team. The player we saw out there last night looked totally lost, which has been pretty much the story for most of this month now. At this point I would have no problem with the idea of replacing him. Yes, I know, we won't have a traditional leadoff hitter who runs real fast and all:cower: but at this point I don't believe that can be a major concern. Not when your leadoff hitter is struggling to get on base 30% of the time.

hawkjt
08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Tadahito , just when I am ready to quit you; you pull me back in!!!

If Pods does not regain his form , we won't win it all again, anyway so we have to stick with him. What did he have - 7 on base in his last 11 before last nite?

We won the game- all is forgiven, Pods. Now, go out there and get on base today.

Brian26
08-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Last night was fun.

Sig update time...

You've been to every game so far, right?

CaptainBallz
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't think the chat's bad when we're losing. Negative performance causes negative reaction. But not a lot of moping and carrying on, nothing uncalled for or beyond the norm in that sense though. Occasionally it seems one guy will come along and just dark cloud the hell out of everything--Pierzynski12 anyone? That happens every year at a few points and the poster eventually is handed his walking papers for some reason anyway.

I recall one chat during the loss to Pittsburgh that decayed into a pretty hilarious slough of Pirate jokes.
It can be pretty entertaining during losses hearing everybody's suicide plans in real-time.

maurice
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Great game by BA. With the O struggling, he reached or advanced the runner every time up. Plus, the E call was bogus; he should've received credit for a hit.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Great game by BA. With the O struggling, he reached or advanced the runner every time up. Plus, the E call was bogus; he should've received credit for a hit.If Mackowiak had been playing CF and he didn't get to Cantu's triple in the 2nd, you'd be screaming for his head.

maurice
08-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Please stop pretending that Mackowiak is an adequate CF. I know you're still upset that Anderson went on a .300-tear for 2 months instead of getting demoted to AAA like you wanted, but this is getting ridiculous.

If Mackowiak had been playing CF for the Rays, he wouldn't have gotten within 5 feet of Baldelli's "error."

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Please stop pretending that Mackowiak is an adequate CF. I know you're still upset that Anderson went on a .300-tear for 2 months instead of getting demoted to AAA like you wanted, but this is getting ridiculous.

If Mackowiak had been playing CF for the Rays, he wouldn't have gotten within 5 feet of Baldelli's "error."You know it's true, though. If Mack had been playing and didn't get to that ball you'd have been braying about how he almost cost them the game because Anderson would surely have caught it.

maurice
08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't even know what play you're talking about, though starting Mackowiak yesterday probably WOULD HAVE cost the Sox the game . . . again.

I'll talk at ya later, ON2. I gotta catch a train to KC.
:gulp: