PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre is a disgrace.

billyvsox
08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Unbelievable,

Yanks leading 3-2 going to the 9th and he DOSENT bring in Mariano Rivera. Are you *****ing kidding me. He goes to Proctor who serves up a 3-run homer to Monroe and the Kitties win.

Why? They had 2 full days off and Rivera threw only 14 pitches in game one. There are other teams in the league counting on other teams to play it straight to the finish. In this case the Sox and Twins suffer. How would he like it if we say dumped games to Cleveland last year and hurt the Yanks and BoSox playoff chances????

But noone will say anything because he is the great Joe Torre and they are they beloved Yankees.

fquaye149
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Unbelievable,

Yanks leading 3-2 going to the 9th and he DOSENT bring in Mariano Rivera. Are you *****ing kidding me. He goes to Proctor who serves up a 3-run homer to Monroe and the Kitties win.

Why? They had 2 full days off and Rivera threw only 14 pitches in game one. There are other teams in the league counting on other teams to play it straight to the finish. In this case the Sox and Twins suffer. How would he like it if we say dumped games to Cleveland last year and hurt the Yanks and BoSox playoff chances????

But noone will say anything because he is the great Joe Torre and they are they beloved Yankees.

The Yankees are in the playoffs. You ever think he doesn't want Rivera to get tired?

This smacks of Boston and NY fans whining last year that Ozzie owed it to them to play the starters.

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

chitown13
08-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I was flipping back and forth between games since the yanks/tiggers were on espn but what I noticed is how much of a piece of **** Sean Casey is. The firstbase collision was out of control. I understand that he was in the heat of the moment but a forearm to the back of craig wilsons head was out of line. He lost the little amount of respect I had for him. Then he complained and thought he was safe. A collision is fine because wilson was in the way but the forearm was uncalled for.

ondafarm
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I was flipping back and forth between games since the yanks/tiggers were on espn but what I noticed is how much of a piece of **** Sean Casey is. The firstbase collision was out of control. I understand that he was in the heat of the moment but a forearm to the back of craig wilsons head was out of line. He lost the little amount of respect I had for him. Then he complained and thought he was safe. A collision is fine because wilson was in the way but the forearm was uncalled for.

I didn't see the replay, I was watching it on Yes! but I thought he brought his forearm up in a defensive motion. When you are running hard your arms do swing as well.

I did think he was safe.

areilly
08-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Unbelievable,

First of all, Torre and the Yankees don't owe anyone else anything. It's his team, and if he wants to preserve Rivera while trying to let Proctor get a little more experience in pressure situations, that's his prerogative and you can't blame him for that. Personally I thought Proctor was going to come through.

Second, the Sox tried to dump games to Cleveland last year after the division was wrapped up. And yet, the Sox B-team still went out and swept the Tribe to close the season while the Yankees and Red Sox were sorting out their AL East business.

Third, it would be foolish to think any team is "counting on" any other team to do their work for them. Hell, we're counting on the Tigers to lose every game they play the rest of this year. We're counting on Johan Santana to suddenly start giving up home runs to every batter in the AL. We're counting on the other playoff teams to not even bother showing up and just handing over the Series.

But those things won't happen. No one will win for the Sox except for the Sox.

chitown13
08-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I guess you are right, but on replay, it just looked worse. I'm not a big fan of his anyways so that probably doesn't help much either :)

veeter
08-30-2006, 10:03 PM
If you want to blame anyone, it should be the Red Sox. If they hadn't slid so far back Torre would have pitched Rivera. The division is in his pocket, so why not rest his aging closer?

RSox78
08-30-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't mind him not pitching Rivera. It was the right call, I just wish it would have turned out in our favor.

soxfan13
08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Unbelievable,

He pitched in the first game is right, but you forget to take into the account of warming up(hes not a young buck, harder to recover from even 14 pitches). Yeah it would have been nice for him to pitch the second game, but you cant blame Torre for resting an aging, still awesome closer. How would you react if we had the division pretty much sewn up and played a doubleheader. In that doubleheader you bring in Jenks to close the second game, even after he pitched the first game. Jenks blows his arm out in the second game and put the White Sox chances of winning a World Series in serious peril. You would be the first one screaming about why was Jenks pitching in a game that didnt mean anything much to the White SOx.

dickallen15
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Last year when teams were fighting with Cleveland for the Wild Card, and the Sox had clinched, Ozzie sent out his B team. The B team won, but you can't get on Torre and be alright with what Ozzie did. Torre has already stated Riviera isn' pitching more than 1 inning a game from here on out, and he probably also means 1 inning a day.

JB98
08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Last year when teams were fighting with Cleveland for the Wild Card, and the Sox had clinched, Ozzie sent out his B team. The B team won, but you can't get on Torre and be alright with what Ozzie did. Torre has already stated Riviera isn' pitching more than 1 inning a game from here on out, and he probably also means 1 inning a day.

Yep, it's Joe Torre's job to do what's best for the Yankees. It isn't his job to do the Sox dirty work for them. We have to take care of our own business, and I think we will.

samram
08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
If you want to blame anyone, it should be the Red Sox. If they hadn't slid so far back Torre would have pitched Rivera. The division is in his pocket, so why not rest his aging closer?

I was almost about to post this, word for word. Well done.:smile:

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Proctor has been their second best arm out of the pen. I have absolutely no problem with what Torre did. Am I upset they couldn't close it out? Ofcourse.

But it's not Torre's job to be concerned about the AL Central race.

Brian26
08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Unbelievable,

First of all, Proctor looked pretty damn good when he was here against the Sox a couple of weeks ago.

Second, as stated before, Rivera's health is much too important to risk bringing him in to pitch twice, six hours apart. That's insane. Unless its an emergency situation, you never do that.

JorgeFabregas
08-31-2006, 12:52 AM
They had 2 full days off and Rivera threw only 14 pitches in game one.

Stop this whiny, stupid ****. The Yankees played themselves into a position where they could afford the luxury of not pitching their closer twice in one day.

Mohoney
08-31-2006, 01:34 AM
I just thought that when Proctor walked (Granderson?) right in front of Monroe that Torre would get Rivera, since it was only one out to go.

The 10 pitches between pitcher changes should be enough for one measly out, especially when you pitched earlier that day.

I'm not blaming Torre at all. If we had an 8.5 game lead and decided to go to MacDougal instead of Jenks in the 2nd game of a doubleheader, I would have no qualms.

The move doesn't make me mad, it just contradicts what I would have done, because I'm a "worry about tomorrow, tomorrow" type guy.

Besides, he's saving Rivera for the inevitable October White Sox-Yankees showdown.

harwar
08-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Craig Wilson is terrible at first base.He kept stepping into the baseline right in front of runners(namely Casey) as they were getting to the bag.
When i first heard that the tigers got Sean Casey i wasn't happy because that guy can really help them at the plate,in the clubhouse,and on the field.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Wow, another steaming pile of crap to come from WTS. Who knew.

munchman33
08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
If I were the Yankees, I'd much rather see the Tigers in the playoffs than the Twins or White Sox. Take it for what its worth.

jdm2662
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Um, Torre owes the Sox nothing, just like Ozzie owed Boston/NY nothing last season. He's certainly not going to risk the health of an aging closer when he's got a nice cushion in the division. The Sox have no one to blame but themselves for the position they are in. The Sox need to worry about catching DET/holding off MIN themselves. The other teams are entitled to do what they please. You don't want to be in such position? Then, don't piss away games earlier in the season.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Second, the Sox tried to dump games to Cleveland last year after the division was wrapped up.

:?:

The rest of you post was spot-on, but the part I quoted above is just plain wrong. Ozzie played his backups in Cleveland to avoid risking injury to his starters and to give them a breather before the playoffs began. Furthermore, McCarthy actually pitched exceedingly well down the stretch. To say that starting him was "trying to dump" that game is just plain wrong.

Beyond that, what would it benefit the Sox to have Cleveland as the Wild Card team? They were the most dangerous and hottest team in the AL for August and September, playing an extended stretch of .900 ball.

soxfan13
08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
If I were the Yankees, I'd much rather see the Tigers in the playoffs than the Twins or White Sox. Take it for what its worth.

With you on this one!!! Even though I would like to see the White Sox in there!

hawkjt
08-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I just wish that Guidry had warned proctor against a first pitch hanging slider to Monroe. Tip of the hat to monroe- he is second in the league with 13 homers after the 7th. But by now I hope everyone in the league knows that you stay away , hard, on monroe. Anything on the inside half is trouble. And anything hanging is gone.

Torre had said he was going with Farnsworth in the second game but evidently changed his mind and went to Proctor- too bad.

kobo
08-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Um, Torre owes the Sox nothing, just like Ozzie owed Boston/NY nothing last season. He's certainly not going to risk the health of an aging closer when he's got a nice cushion in the division. The Sox have no one to blame but themselves for the position they are in. The Sox need to worry about catching DET/holding off MIN themselves. The other teams are entitled to do what they please. You don't want to be in such position? Then, don't piss away games earlier in the season.
Right on. Joe Torre did what was best for his team, not what was best for the White Sox. That's a stupid way to manage, worrying about another team instead of your own. Hell, Proctor had the count at 3-2, if he gets Monroe on that pitch nobody would be bitching, they'd all be happy. The Sox are in the position they are in because they put themselves there. It's up to them, not another team, to get themselves into a better position.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
I just wish that Guidry had warned proctor against a first pitch hanging slider to Monroe. Tip of the hat to monroe- he is second in the league with 13 homers after the 7th. But by now I hope everyone in the league knows that you stay away , hard, on monroe. Anything on the inside half is trouble. And anything hanging is gone.

Torre had said he was going with Farnsworth in the second game but evidently changed his mind and went to Proctor- too bad.

I don't think any pitcher needs to be reminded of the perils of a hanging anything.

Ugh. Thanks again, Proctor.

Gregory Pratt
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Indeed. Detroit isn't a particularly strong thing, all things considered.

I'm tempted to say that Minnesota is the best team in baseball -- I love their speed, their occasional power, and their pitching (well, their healthy pitching, not the crap they're putting out there now) -- but I genuinely believe ours is better. Team, that is, overall.

MrX
08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
For the whiners and conspiracy theorists, the New York papers are reporting Rivera's elbow has had some inflammation and they're sending him for a precautionary MRI.

samram
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think any pitcher needs to be reminded of the perils of a hanging anything.

Ugh. Thanks again, Proctor.

I like the thought of the pitching coach going out and telling the pitcher, "You know, it's best to not hang a slider. I would prefer you didn't. Just FYI."

On second thought, maybe Coop should go out and tell Javy that once an inning.

soxfan13
08-31-2006, 01:02 PM
For the whiners and conspiracy theorists, the New York papers are reporting Rivera's elbow has had some inflammation and they're sending him for a precautionary MRI.

bull**** I think its because Torre wants the White Sox out of the playoffs!!!

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I like the thought of the pitching coach going out and telling the pitcher, "You know, it's best to not hang a slider. I would prefer you didn't. Just FYI."

On second thought, maybe Coop should go out and tell Javy that once an inning.

What are you talking about? I compliment my straight fastball with a hanging slider and my deadly high changeup. Somehow they hit me, though. I don't get it.

soxfan13
08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
What are you talking about? I compliment my straight fastball with a hanging slider and my deadly high changeup. Somehow they hit me, though. I don't get it.

:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

samram
08-31-2006, 01:42 PM
You're right, it seems unlikely big league hitters could figure that scheme out. **rolls eyes** But let's try it our way, without the hanging slider that's the same speed as your 90 mph fastball (yes, Coop says "mph", not miles per hour), and we'll see how it works.

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
How would he like it if we say dumped games to Cleveland last year and hurt the Yanks and BoSox playoff chances????

Actually we tried too, but Cleveland just sucked too bad http://www.thephatphree.com/_photos/ozzie-choke.jpg

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2006, 03:55 PM

LOL, throw a little emo in and you got him to a tee

Dick Allen
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
I didn't see the replay, I was watching it on Yes! but I thought he brought his forearm up in a defensive motion. When you are running hard your arms do swing as well.

I did think he was safe.On the replay, he was clearly out.