PDA

View Full Version : World Series Game 1

BRDSR
08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Alright, today I was sitting in class daydreaming about October baseball, which got me thinking back to last years playoffs. I realized that I remember some of the tiniest details from games 2, 3, and 4 but right now, without doing research, I can hardly remember anything about Game 1. I can't even remember the final score. I remember watching the entire game straight through, but thats about all. Anyone else have this problem, or am I the only Sox fan afflicted with this embarassing condition?

Jurr
08-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I think all of the games are defined in our memories by certain moments. In game 1, those would be the Dye homer at the beginning, the Cotts strikeouts, and the Jenks save. Moments like Crede's homer or his stellar plays at third to end innings sometimes get missed.

It's okay to forget stuff about the WS games. It makes it fun to go back and watch them on the DVDs.

tlebar318
08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Alright, today I was sitting in class daydreaming about October baseball, which got me thinking back to last years playoffs. I realized that I remember some of the tiniest details from games 2, 3, and 4 but right now, without doing research, I can hardly remember anything about Game 1. I can't even remember the final score. I remember watching the entire game straight through, but thats about all. Anyone else have this problem, or am I the only Sox fan afflicted with this embarassing condition?

Don't feel bad I was there and forgot alot of it...I am over 40 though!:redneck

Britt Burns
08-30-2006, 07:36 PM
I remember it was cold and wet (or at least seemed that way on the TV). Perfect postseason baseball weather.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Wandy. :angry:

That game was closer than it needed to be. You got to hand it to Wandy though. We lucked out by hitting Clemens and him leaving hurt, so things balanced out. But we held on anyway.

Frontman
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I think all of the games are defined in our memories by certain moments. In game 1, those would be the Dye homer at the beginning, the Cotts strikeouts, and the Jenks save. Moments like Crede's homer or his stellar plays at third to end innings sometimes get missed.

It's okay to forget stuff about the WS games. It makes it fun to go back and watch them on the DVDs.

Crede's two amazing stops at 3rd was great. I'll never forget the call.

"He just put the World Series on his shoulders!"

Front

patbooyah
08-30-2006, 07:41 PM
i remember feeling like i was going to puke before the first game, that's how amped up i was. if you're anything like me your brain probably wasn't working at full capacity. :D:

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
i remember feeling like i was going to puke before the first game, that's how amped up i was. if you're anything like me your brain probably wasn't working at full capacity. :D:

Nice.

I was totally confident. I actually missed the first pitch getting a coffee at starbuck's.

LuvSox
08-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Game1? That was the tailgate/WS kickoff bash at my house. WOW. The brewery and distillery folks sent me a Christmas card! :D:

Chisox003
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I was there and I still don't remember too well!

All of October 2005 is a blur. I hope 2006 follows suit. :gulp:

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I was watching the game at a packed to the rafters sports bar. I remember having butterflies before the game started. I also remember being elated at Dye's homer and happy to see Clemens make an early exit. The Jenks save was awesome too.

kingpin_rcs
08-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Since I have watched the games on DVD, I don't know how much of them I "remember" them from when I watched the games as they happened.

I distinctly remember having to constantly remind myself that I was watching the World Series and not just another Sox game. Every year prior, I would watch the World Series and fantasize about what it would be like to be watching the Sox play in it.

It was finally happening and the whole feeling was sureal. I was by myself as my wife isn't into baseball at all and doesn't get my infatuation (but she bought me a ton of WS stuff for xmas,bday and father's day). I was so nervous that I constantly paced around my family room. I had to occupy myself somehow so I got the steam cleaner out and cleaned the carpet! (yeah, I know)

I remember having the weirdest feeling when Paulie hit the grand slam during that game. It was sort of like deja vu, like I knew it was going to happen.

All in all, I am gratefull that the DVD collection came out. I think I get more joy out of watching them then I did watching the games as they happened. I was so emotionally out of whack during those games it was hard to really enjoy the moment.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I remember having the weirdest feeling when Paulie hit the grand slam during that game. It was sort of like deja vu, like I knew it was going to happen.
I high fived every Sox fan at the bar I was at when Paulie hit that grand slam and then I did it again when Pods won it with the walkoff.:D:

The crowd at the bar I was at was 50% die hard Sox fans, 25% were there for curiousity, and 25% were Cub fans rooting against the Sox. I remember the Cub fans were getting chirpy when we were down 4-2. Their faces turned a ghostly white when Konerko hit that slam. I think they knew that we would not be denied a world title after that one.

DC Sox Fan
08-30-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll admit my memory from game 1 was fuzzy... :gulp: :redface: Yeah, I was so psyched, I was partying all day! But it sounds like some people are confusing game 2... bad weather, paulie's slam... weren't those both in the 2nd game?

I also remember JD's homer, Joe's stellar D, and the lights-out bullpen. Where has that Neal Cotts gone? :whiner:

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Since I have watched the games on DVD, I don't know how much of them I "remember" them from when I watched the games as they happened.

I distinctly remember having to constantly remind myself that I was watching the World Series and not just another Sox game. Every year prior, I would watch the World Series and fantasize about what it would be like to be watching the Sox play in it.

It was finally happening and the whole feeling was sureal. I was by myself as my wife isn't into baseball at all and doesn't get my infatuation (but she bought me a ton of WS stuff for xmas,bday and father's day). I was so nervous that I constantly paced around my family room. I had to occupy myself somehow so I got the steam cleaner out and cleaned the carpet! (yeah, I know)

All in all, I am gratefull that the DVD collection came out. I think I get more joy out of watching them then I did watching the games as they happened. I was so emotionally out of whack during those games it was hard to really enjoy the moment.

This was game 2, not game 1.

I kind of had that feeling too. They were a team of destiny by the time they got to the Series, you just knew they wouldn't be beat. When they trailed in game 2, it was just a matter of waiting for something to happen and then sure enough, Konerko hit the slam.

Then when Jenks coughed up the lead on that cheap hit, it was like alright who's gonna be the hero now? I don't think I even yelled when Pods hit the homer, it was just too nuts. Impossible to believe yet totally expected at the same time. :wink:

FedEx227
08-31-2006, 12:00 AM
I'll admit my memory from game 1 was fuzzy... :gulp: :redface: Yeah, I was so psyched, I was partying all day! But it sounds like some people are confusing game 2... bad weather, paulie's slam... weren't those both in the 2nd game?

I also remember JD's homer, Joe's stellar D, and the lights-out bullpen. Where has that Neal Cotts gone? :whiner:

I'm kinda fuzzy on Game1. It was such a busy day, that morning I drove down to Illinois to visit a friend, we went to the Ill/PSU game (fun for me, not for him), then left the game early and ran back to watch the game at his frat house, which was loud and drunk but I can definetly remember shaking so much during that 9th inning with Jenks up there.

RadioheadRocks
08-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Not to mention Ozzie's comical signaling for "Big Bobby Jenks"... was on my dinner break at work when I saw that on TV and laughed my ass off! I had to work both nights of Game 1 and 2 :(: , so I listened to most of the games on the radio in my office, but my dinner hour allowed me to watch both games from the 8th inning on.

chisoxmike
08-31-2006, 12:59 AM
The ball Jenks threw to Bagwell to strike out to end the 8th should have said "retire" on it.

Brian26
08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Nice.

I was totally confident. I actually missed the first pitch getting a coffee at starbuck's.

kittle42: Starbuck's what? His house? His work?

kingpin_rcs
08-31-2006, 08:39 AM
This was game 2, not game 1.

I knew that the slam was in game 2. I guess the way my post is worded it makes it sound like I am confusing the two games. I was sort of talking about the series as a whole.

On a side note, when it comes to re-watching the games, I think game 2 is by far my favorite. Next would be game 4 (duh!).

Has anybody actually put in the DVD for game 3 and watched the entire thing?

C-Dawg
08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I got goose bumps reading this thread!

Game 4 was the one for me that passed in a blur. I was just melted into the couch and didn't move for the whole game. It was just surreal to realize it was happening as the commercial break ended and it was going to the bottom of the 9th with the Sox leading 1-0.

hi im skot
08-31-2006, 09:27 AM
October and November were both blurs for me.

During the playoffs, it was an incredible ride that I hoped would never end. Once the series was over, I was just floating on air.

I've been thinking back to October and November lately, and just how awesome I felt. I lived three hours from Chicago then, and anytime I drove up to visit friends and family, I would always remind myself that, "This is the home of the World Champions".

I wish I could express my feelings more eloquently, but something tells me everyone on this board knows exactly how I feel.

If it never happens again in my lifetime, no one will ever be able to take the memories away from me.

BeviBall!
08-31-2006, 10:54 AM
The main thing I remember from being there that first night was how loud it was. I have never heard any stadium that loud... not even close.

The insanity really picked up after K to Bagwell, then the RBI triple by Pods and after the final K to Everett, the place went up for grabs. "Thunderstruck" played for 20 minutes after the final out and absolutely no one moved toward the exits. People were standing, screaming, crying, hi-fiving, singing, taunting... it was ****ing awesome.

spiffie
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
His boat! DUH! :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I remember parts of game 1 because I wasn't able to watch the whole thing.

I remember the exact date because it was the day after my birthday. I got to watch the first inning or so then we went out for dinner. Luckily, we went to Chili's which had the game on in the bar. So I got up and checked the score a few times there.

Then we went to see "War of the Worlds" so I couldn't get any updates on the game until it was all over. I heard the final score on the radio on the way home. Best b-day present I received the whole night.

It wasn't until later that I finally found out that Clemens left the game early, saw Crede's amazing plays, and saw Ozzie calling in the "tall and wide guy". :D:

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM

http://starbucks.co.uk/IntlCMS/images/headers/header_logo1.gif

See the problem is it should be Starbuck's. They got the name from the character Starbuck--Ahab's first mate--from Moby Dick. So I just add the apostrophe for them. :wink: